The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 27 July 2017, 07:46 AM   #1
Sub King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
First luxury watch at age 19

I'm turning 19 in a couple of weeks and I am getting ready to purchase my first luxury watch, after many years of being a gigantic watch enthusiast.

I was originally set on the Submariner but to be completely frank, I am put off by the idea of wearing a Rolex watch at my age. I feel like a Speedmaster would be much more fitting for a young man, since it does not scream "rich and spoiled yuppie" the way the Submariner might.

Should I buy a Speedmaster and save the Submariner for when I am older and more mature, or should I just get the Sub now? I would love to get your opinions. Thank you so much
Sub King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2017, 07:50 AM   #2
mmalek1
"TRF" Member

Watch: This one.
Get the one that you want. If you settle, you'll always be looking for the one you wanted. Both are great watches. I was late to game with speedmasters, but now they are becoming a little obsession of mine. Congrats on the future incoming.
mmalek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2017, 07:51 AM   #3
KeepTicking
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ2, BLNR, PO, Nav
Both are classics, no reason you shouldn't buy the speedy now and sub next. That said, I do understand the apprehension of wearing a Rolex, I hate when people notice my watch.
KeepTicking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2017, 07:55 AM   #4
glenn_herwig
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub King View Post
I'm turning 19 in a couple of weeks and I am getting ready to purchase my first luxury watch, after many years of being a gigantic watch enthusiast.

I was originally set on the Submariner but to be completely frank, I am put off by the idea of wearing a Rolex watch at my age. I feel like a Speedmaster would be much more fitting for a young man, since it does not scream "rich and spoiled yuppie" the way the Submariner might.

Should I buy a Speedmaster and save the Submariner for when I am older and more mature, or should I just get the Sub now? I would love to get your opinions. Thank you so much
At 19 Speedmaster was my first watch. Buy it used you'll save a lot! I'm 20 now and still enjoy it. Make sure you go for the classic model. Hesalite, non display back, 1861 movement, also get the bracelet! Enjoy!

Jaeger Le Coultre Grande Date 240.8.15

Instagram: @select.timepieces
glenn_herwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2017, 07:58 AM   #5
Sub King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn_herwig View Post
At 19 Speedmaster was my first watch. Buy it used you'll save a lot! I'm 20 now and still enjoy it. Make sure you go for the classic model. Hesalite, non display back, 1861 movement, also get the bracelet! Enjoy!
If I get a Speedmaster, that's definitely the one I would get. Likewise, if I get a Sub, it'll be the no-date model. I'm a bit of a purist so I like the classics!
Sub King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2017, 08:12 AM   #6
glenn_herwig
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If I get a Speedmaster, that's definitely the one I would get. Likewise, if I get a Sub, it'll be the no-date model. I'm a bit of a purist so I like the classics!
They make the newer one with the screws for bracelet. It's got a long reference I think it's in my signature. And yea I love the no date sub. You should also look at the Tudor black bay very iconic. But doesn't scream Rolex. I am also young and have a Rolex ceramic. And there have been countless times where the people I'm around will be loud and obnoxious at a bar or somewhere crowded and will say the word Rolex out load. Kind of gets annoying. That's why I take the bracelet off and put it on natos and rubber straps.

Jaeger Le Coultre Grande Date 240.8.15

Instagram: @select.timepieces
glenn_herwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2017, 10:01 AM   #7
sarir97
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ω & Rolex
As much as I like a clean and uncluttered dial, I find the date function to be extremely practical for day to day wear. Both of your choices are staple watches for any starter collection, though IMO absence of date function make them less of a daily "beater".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
sarir97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2017, 01:52 PM   #8
MGWT
Banned

Watch: Submariner
SMPc
MGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2017, 07:10 PM   #9
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Speedy is a great choice. Use the chrono hand for the date if you need. Get with bracelet and buy some NATO straps and leather straps. Very versatile and a great first watch esp if you are a little conscious re the Rolex right now.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2017, 07:35 PM   #10
SearChart
TechXpert

Speedmaster would be a fine choice
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2017, 07:40 PM   #11
watchluxus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not Enough
I got my GMTIIC when I was 17 years old, and never had a problem.

It all depends in what circles you roll in.
watchluxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2017, 08:45 PM   #12
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would get the Submariner if it is the one you want. Being 19 is very similar to being 21 or 23 or so on. Wear the watch you want and can afford. With that said I might go Tudor Black Bay Black with the riveted bracelet and a pre-owned Speedmaster. You would still have less in than the Rolex.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2017, 08:55 PM   #13
CPRWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
Both are great watches & the old adage is always true , buy the watch you like most ,whether its Rolex, Omega or another brand . Personally I think a Omega Seamaster 2254 would be a another possible ideal choice, as it doesn't scream look at me & is one of the most classic versatile watches out there as a daily wearer. Good luck in whatever your choice is ,and there is no wrong choice if you just buy the watch you want .Look forward to seeing the pictures.
CPRWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2017, 05:12 AM   #14
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
go Omega for sure.

too much baggage comes with a Rolex.

At 43, and have owned my own business for 14 years, I still don't like a lot that comes along a Rolex watch.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2017, 05:37 AM   #15
Maxtor
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp 1, DJ Tuxedo
Buy the Submariner (if you can afford it). You will never regret that choice.

The Omega 2254 is also a great watch. Lots of overlap with the Submariner though... so if the Submariner is in your future then go with the Speedmaster now.
Maxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2017, 09:18 AM   #16
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Speedmaster is a great first watch, but if you want a Sub that won't get any attention maybe a 14060 would work. Without the shiny ceramic bezel and cyclops nobody even looks twice at it.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2017, 10:06 AM   #17
indy78
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233 Serti
Choices

Quote:

You're replacement choice is a completely different style watch. Do you want to stay with a dive style watch? A dive style watch looks more youthful and sporty if that's the look you're ultimately after. If so, Omega has some great choices from the 300M 233.30.41.21.01.001 Retro style dive watch to the many Planet Oceans. I'm actually thinking about adding the 300M retro dive watch styled after the original 1957 watch. I don't really need a date as I use the calendar on my cell for keeping track of date and events. I chose the planet ocean as another sport watch. It's low key and a quality watch that's a great alternative to Rolex.
Old 28 July 2017, 12:26 PM   #18
UnicoJG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Always!
Get what you like and don't worry about the opinion of others, most people won't care what you wear.
UnicoJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2017, 12:33 PM   #19
TimelessQuality
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnicoJG View Post
Get what you like and don't worry about the opinion of others, most people won't care what you wear.
This!
TimelessQuality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2017, 07:29 AM   #20
ERok32
"TRF" Member

I think a seamaster professional or planet ocean would be great alternatives for a 19 year old
ERok32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2017, 10:10 AM   #21
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

A Speedmaster was my first nice watch. I've had subs since then, but the Speedmaster is the only one of the two that remained in the collection
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2017, 11:37 AM   #22
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
I bought a GMT2 Pepsi at your age. It probably screamed "spoiled yuppie", but my generally jerky low class attitude quickly disavowed all of that notion.

I think you should get what you want. I don't care for modern Rolex, and the current Speedy Pro IS pretty nice. Cheaper too.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2017, 11:51 AM   #23
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
I would just go straight to the submariner. Don't mess around and get something nice and something you want.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2017, 11:54 AM   #24
2th_doc
"TRF" Member

Sub. Who cares what people may or may not think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2th_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2017, 09:35 PM   #25
Raph_watch
"TRF" Member

Get what you want man and be happy with it, life is short!
Raph_watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2017, 02:05 AM   #26
luvan12
"TRF" Member

I get your concern with why you wouldn't want the Submariner but in reality WHO CARES. If thats the watch you truly want then buy it! There is no reason why you should be conservative and buy another watch to not be looked at as a "yuppie". Life is too short, be happy.
luvan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2017, 03:57 AM   #27
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

A speedy seems like a great choice.

But if the only reason you're not going for the sub is your fear of the perception it brings, to heck with it. Work hard. Earn the peace of mind to wear the watch. And wear it with pride.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2017, 03:27 PM   #28
W44NEG
"TRF" Member

The Speedmaster is one of the best watches in the world today, but it's not without its quirks. Some people love the manual wind movement whilst others really don't understand it before they buy. You sound like you do understand these things so you'll know there are pros and cons. The water resistance is good enough for swimming in my experience, but there's still sometimes a level of doubt, the clasp doesn't adjust easily on the 2017 model (you can buy the extending clasp for not too much money) and it's also a relatively large lug to lug as the end links protrude from the case. If you're getting one though, it simply must be the Hesalite model as they're just so much more original and less reflective, so much functional in legibility terms.

If you go for a Speedy, it would be worth considering a TinTin or the like if you're worried about values, but I'll carry on that theme below.

The Submariner is NOT my favourite Rolex by a long shot in the current lineup. The previous 16610 series is much smarter and classier in my eyes, so if I had the choice, I'd suggest this. It's much less in-your-face and has a much more elegant case shape. I'm about to get to the stage where I have only an older LV sub as my only Rolex. I'm buying a Patek for its stealth factor, which sounds crazy, but Rolex can be flashy when you don't realise it. My friend has an old sea-dweller and it's amazing how much even that stands out. There's something about the shine of the Rolex finishing that makes even steel models just stand out like a sore thumb. Maybe it's just me but I can spot them a mile off, whereas a Speedy looks like most other cheap chronos on the wrist of a passer by.

The thing about the Speedy is the values rise slowly. If you want to upgrade at some point, you'll be able to, but no doubt buying the right Submariner right now will enable you to upgrade with much more clout in a quicker timeframe in the future.

The other watch that I would recommend is a Seamaster professional.
W44NEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2017, 03:52 PM   #29
J-E
"TRF" Member

Quote:
you have good taste. When i was 23 i bought my Sub 114060. I was still studying and believe me, not one person at college noticed i was wearing a Rolex. Just buy what you want the most, and to me it sounds you prefer the Sub right now. Go for it and later add the Speedmaster. For me these two watches are the most iconic ones. (ofcourse the sub WITHOUT date and the HESALITE speedy)
J-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 03:24 AM   #30
Spectre007
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16030 DJ
Get the 2531 Seamaster by Omega.
Fantastic looks and comfy.
You get the diver watch looks with out the screaming influence that a submariner may have at your age.
AND it will go up in value
Seiko Modder
Youtuber: WatchRob
Spectre007 is offline   Reply With Quote