The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 August 2017, 11:34 AM   #1
Mikegp
"TRF" Member

Got my 5164 today. Mixed feelings.

Hey guys, as some of you know I upgraded my 5167 for a 5164. I bought preowned from a known seller. Got the watch today and after inspecting it thoroughly I noticed the lume on some of the numbers is darker. I immediately called the seller to let him know. He said he himself didn't notice but it didn't look that bad bla bla (he sourced it from a third party) then he said that after looking at the photos he sent me, the lume on some numerals do look off, but it was shown in the pictures and I should've noticed.

When I saw the photos it wasn't clear, it could be bad lighting or whatever, never thought the lume would be messed up. So after speaking with him for a while he said he couldn't take it back because he had sourced it from a third party etc etc he offered to give me a small refund for the defect and that's about it.

As you can probably guess I love the watch but hate the way the lume looks. I'm super anal about this stuff. Is it normal for a watch with a few years to have the lume look like that? Is it something that can be fixed or does it need a new dial? Input appreciated.

Here are some photos, checkout the 3, 10, 11 and 12. The hour hand is looking sketchy too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 11:37 AM   #2
Mikegp
"TRF" Member

Also look at the first picture. Do you notice the local and home squares are not 100% synced even though the hour is the same. Is this normal?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12 August 2017, 11:45 AM   #3
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

I would keep it away from water. Looks like the dial has been tampered with.
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 11:48 AM   #4
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegp View Post
Hey guys, as some of you know I upgraded my 5167 for a 5164. I bought preowned from a known seller. Got the watch today and after inspecting it thoroughly I noticed the lume on some of the numbers is darker. I immediately called the seller to let him know. He said he himself didn't notice but it didn't look that bad bla bla (he sourced it from a third party) then he said that after looking at the photos he sent me the lume on some numerals do look off but it was shown in the pictures and I should've noticed.

When I saw the photos it wasn't clear, it could be bad lighting or whatever, never thought the lume would be messed up. So after speaking with him for a while he said he couldn't take it back because he had sourced it from a third party etc etc he offered to give me a small refund for the defect and that's about it.

As you can probably guess I love the watch but hate the way the lume looks. I'm super anal about this stuff. Is it normal for a watch with a few years to have the lume look like that? Is it something that can be fixed or does it need a new dial? Input appreciated.

PS - Even the date wheel hand is totally corroded as well. I would guess the entire movement is corroded as well.

Here are some photos, checkout the 3, 10, 11 and 12. The hour hand is looking sketchy too.
Looks like corrosion from water or moisture. If the photos you saw before you purchased the 5164 didn't indicate this, then demand a full refund ASAP. That dial is definitely not up to HSWA standards and will cost a hefty fee and lengthy service time to remedy this situation.

The date wheel hand is also very corroded, I would guess the entire movement has serious corrosion as well. To replace all of those aspects (new dial & new hands) and servicing the damaged movement is going to be a lot more than the normal Patek service fee.

PS - I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but you got sold a junker and you should warn others from purchasing from this seller. A small refund is not going to rectify this situation. More like $2-3k and 8 to 10 months of not having the watch in your possession.
Defiancekofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 11:55 AM   #5
JPMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
Unfortunately this is not good at all.

Did you trade your 5167 for the 5164 with the seller?

Can you post the pictures of the watch (5164) that were advertised or directly sent to you.
JPMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 11:57 AM   #6
Mitch105
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 Fluted/Jub
This is not good. What pics did you see before purchase. Imho, this will require a full service back in Geneva and a 4-6 month wait plus big $$$ to get that watch back to OEM.

Try for a refund. Was your trade purchased new? If so you will for sure not be happy but even then this watch has red flags all over it.
Mitch105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 12:00 PM   #7
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
Sad to hear this. Hopefully seller will come good and resolve this situation.

On a positive note 5164 looks great on Your wrist!
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 12:03 PM   #8
Updyke
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5522
That would drive me crazy. I would think that he would allow a return/refund if you received it just today. Watches should be sold upon personal inspection. A photo is not good enough, especially on a very costly item. Otherwise, he owes you the amount it would cost for HSWA to clean it up.
Updyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 12:07 PM   #9
HauteHorlogerie
Banned

Watch: 519LN | 64A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
Sad to hear this. Hopefully seller will come good and resolve this situation.

On a positive note 5164 looks great on Your wrist!
This. I would try to either unwind the trade or get a quote from HSWA but this is awful. So sorry to hear man. This is not normal at all.
HauteHorlogerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 12:09 PM   #10
martinr
"TRF" Member

Unacceptable, return it, not your problem where the seller got it, its bad enough that it should have been disclosed. Who is the seller?
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 12:10 PM   #11
Golden Ellipse
2024 Pledge Member

Bad deal; unwind.
Golden Ellipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 12:35 PM   #12
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Love the watch, but I wouldn't be happy with the discoloration. Would be interested in seeing pics of the original posting as well
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 12:39 PM   #13
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Unacceptable as well, unless you got it for a huge discount this should not pass
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 12:40 PM   #14
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Return
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 12:48 PM   #15
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
Got my 5164 today. Mixed feelings.

I agree with everyone who has posted. This is a bad deal and you should be able to return the watch for a full refund. Keep us informed as to what the seller does..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 August 2017, 12:49 PM   #16
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Sorry to see this. Try to return.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 12:51 PM   #17
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
Surely a faulty watch is a faulty watch? Not - "well you never noticed in the pics so tough"

Is it a seller from here? If so hopefully he sees the opinions
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 12:53 PM   #18
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
This is not acceptable unless the description stated this. Pics are always deceiving as there is no way anyone would purchase a piece looking like this. I am so sorry my friend. Politely demand a refund before you out the seller. I would only do that as a last resort. This is very troubling. Best of luck Mike

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 12:58 PM   #19
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Agree with others that the lume has been damaged. Hope you get this sorted out to your satisfaction.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 01:17 PM   #20
texex91
"TRF" Member

PP quality control. Nice.

Sorry u are having these issues.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 01:33 PM   #21
Sam Philip
Banned

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with the 5164A. I feel the seller should have inspected and inform you the condition of the watch as well as sending the photos. Photos alone is not sufficient as photos could be deceiving. I hope you will get a full refund for this watch.
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 01:56 PM   #22
ILikeTacos
Banned

Sorry you're having to deal with this, I would be pretty upset in this scenario. Seller should cover the visit to the Patek Spa at the minimum if they don't take a return.
ILikeTacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 02:12 PM   #23
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Do you have the COO? Is the watch under warranty?

It's tricky purchasing a watch with history unknown even if you are purchasing it from a (reputable) dealer. Someone mentioned the watch may have had water damage. Another mentioned it having a re-touched non-original dial. You may never know unless you take it to a Patek watchmaker. Are you able to take it to the HSWA to have them look at the watch? That may be your best bet and ask the dealer if he would help pay some of the servicing fee.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 02:16 PM   #24
wisguy
"TRF" Member

That would drive me crazy, but the key here is:

Did the pictures you saw before buying look like that? Was this a smoking once in a lifetime deal?

If the pics and price were normal, then refund, please name the seller so we know to stay away from him/her if the refund is denied.

Old 12 August 2017, 02:19 PM   #25
HauteHorlogerie
Banned

Watch: 519LN | 64A
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisguy View Post
That would drive me crazy, but the key here is:

Did the pictures you saw before buying look like that? Was this a smoking once in a lifetime deal?

If the pics and price were normal, then refund, please name the seller so we know to stay away from him/her if the refund is denied.

No need to throw the seller under the bus unless they for sure tried to scam you and/or they won't unwind the deal. I would try to return asap. The case and bezel also look like they were polished and brushed as it doesn't look like a factory finish.
HauteHorlogerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 02:31 PM   #26
Mikegp
"TRF" Member

After reading your comments I contacted the dealer again and he agreed to take it back. I told him to source another 5164 in good condition instead of refunding me.

The price was fair for a 5164. It was not an amazing deal or anything like that since we were in the understanding that the watch was in perfect condition. To be fair, this dealer had not seen the watch in person since he sourced it from a third party.

Here are the photos he sent me. In hindsight It's pretty clear there's something wrong with the lumes but I just attributed that to poor lighting, angle of the photo or just a shadow. You wouldnt expect lume problems on an "excellent" couple years old watch.

Old 12 August 2017, 02:42 PM   #27
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Glad it is getting replaced and could be handled in an appropriate fashion

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 02:48 PM   #28
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
I was reading the thread and I couldn't even reply because i felt so bad for you. But I am so glad the seller came through and fix it . Awesome

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 02:49 PM   #29
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegp View Post
After reading your comments I contacted the dealer again and he agreed to take it back. I told him to source another 5164 in good condition instead of refunding me.

The price was fair for a 5164. It was not an amazing deal or anything like that since we were in the understanding that the watch was in perfect condition. To be fair, this dealer had not seen the watch in person since he sourced it from a third party.

Here are the photos he sent me. In hindsight It's pretty clear there's something wrong with the lumes but I just attributed that to poor lighting, angle of the photo or just a shadow. You wouldnt expect lume problems on an "excellent" couple years old watch.

This is good news. Hopefully a minty one will be on your wrist soon. And once it is, kudos to the seller for resolving this potentially disastrous transaction. And to you, way to keep your cool.
Old 12 August 2017, 03:03 PM   #30
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

that's a pretty shitty third party
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote