The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 11 December 2017, 01:19 AM   #1
NLYogi
"TRF" Member

Rolex Explorer 214270 bracelet removing and bracelet adjusting

So I saw a youtube video (The Urban Gentry) with a Explorer on a leather strap and it looked gorgeous. Now I like to remove my bracelet and am looking for tools to do that.
Second thing is I like to fine adjust the easylink bracelet. While we are in winter in The Netherlands, my wrist seems to be even smaller than normal.

Please can someone recommend the proper tools for that? Should not be too expensive to ask for Christmas.

I found this site but not sure what I really need:

http://www.watch-tool.de/html/bracelet_tools.php

1 Watch guy
NLYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 06:25 AM   #2
keepitsimple
"TRF" Member

Watch: Junghans Meister
The Explorer bracelet has a very narrow opening to get the tool into - Mine checks out as 1.23mm, so you need a fork that will fit in there.

It is very difficult to remove a bracelet safely with the "one side at a time" tools, and the narrowness of access on the Rolex makes it even trickier. You need a tool to compress both ends of the bar at the same time to be able to lift it away from the watch.

I'd probably get one of these if it's only for occasional use :-

http://www.watch-tool.de/html/bracel....php?id=0090dt

It comes with 1.8 and 1mm forks in the set.

To remove links, if you already have screwdrivers with removable blades, I found a Horotec 1.6mm hollow ground blade was easy to use. As you need only the blade, it is inexpensive. It will fit into a standard 1.6mm handle, and does the job safely with reduced risk of cam-out and any damage.

When you reassemble, for security it's advisable to use a tiny amount of low strength thread locker only in the female side of the link - something like Vibratite ND222 or Loctite 222. I think Rolex used to issue Loctite 221 for the purpose in its kits, but I'm not sure if it is still available.

Make sure you don't put it on the male thread, as it will smear off and contaminate the inside of the link as you push it through.

This is very helpful - https://www.minus4plus6.com/images/R...ng_Booklet.pdf

Last edited by keepitsimple; 11 December 2017 at 06:50 AM.. Reason: Added link to Rolex instruction leaflet
keepitsimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 06:07 PM   #3
NLYogi
"TRF" Member

Thanks for your extensive reply, also about Lock Tite appliance. I will ask for these tools and hope to find it under the Christmas tree!

1 Watch guy
NLYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2017, 07:42 AM   #4
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Thank you for this very helpful advice and info. I'm looking at minor adjustment to the Oyster clasp with Easy Link on my 214270, and now I can see what I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitsimple View Post
The Explorer bracelet has a very narrow opening to get the tool into - Mine checks out as 1.23mm, so you need a fork that will fit in there.

It is very difficult to remove a bracelet safely with the "one side at a time" tools, and the narrowness of access on the Rolex makes it even trickier. You need a tool to compress both ends of the bar at the same time to be able to lift it away from the watch.

I'd probably get one of these if it's only for occasional use :-

http://www.watch-tool.de/html/bracel....php?id=0090dt

It comes with 1.8 and 1mm forks in the set.

To remove links, if you already have screwdrivers with removable blades, I found a Horotec 1.6mm hollow ground blade was easy to use. As you need only the blade, it is inexpensive. It will fit into a standard 1.6mm handle, and does the job safely with reduced risk of cam-out and any damage.

When you reassemble, for security it's advisable to use a tiny amount of low strength thread locker only in the female side of the link - something like Vibratite ND222 or Loctite 222. I think Rolex used to issue Loctite 221 for the purpose in its kits, but I'm not sure if it is still available.

Make sure you don't put it on the male thread, as it will smear off and contaminate the inside of the link as you push it through.

This is very helpful - https://www.minus4plus6.com/images/R...ng_Booklet.pdf
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote