The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 1 February 2020, 06:26 AM   #1
Scubaguy
"TRF" Member

seiko 4R36

Hello,
I recently (6 weeks ago) purchased a Seiko padi turtle with the 4R36 automatic movement. I plan on using this watch for scuba diving. The watch runs consistently fast.. approximately 40 sec per day. I wear the watch for several days at a time and have to reset it every 3 days. I own other automatic watches ( rolex and omega ) and never have to reset them this often ( if at all). I called Seiko repair in NJ and they said the specs is 45 sec per day and there is nothing they can do.
This is my first Seiko and I NEVER would have purchased the watch if I knew it was this inaccurate.. I debated returning the watch to the seller (Macys) but decided to see if it would improve with time or can be regulated better but Seiko said nothing they can do. The company should be embarrassed to make such an inferior movement.
Any ideas or comments?
Scubaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 09:02 AM   #2
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

So... Seiko is correct, this is within specs for the 4R movement. I suppose maybe you should have researched that ahead of time ? The accuracy is variable though , many are much better out of the factory. These movements from what I understand are easily regulated, so you can either watch a YouTube video on how to do it yourself, bring it to a local watchmaker, return it, or just get used to an inaccurate movement . I have a bunch of seikos w 4R or older gen nonhacking movements but only wear them for a few days at a time so doesn’t bother me. I would never buy a Seiko w this movement if I wanted an accurate watch though... you need to step it up to at least a 6R15 or 6R35 for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 09:25 AM   #3
turboevo2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT2C
My seiko turtle is slow and i wanted to regulate it but my watchmaker said wait maybe a year or so until watch is settled then regulate it. Its a cheap diver. Just keep it and enjoy it.
turboevo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 09:48 AM   #4
Schnaps
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 126600
Regulate it your self, mine new Turtle was very slow -35sec/day but managed to regulate it to +5sec/day
Schnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 10:38 AM   #5
Bob_Loblaw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboevo2 View Post
...my watchmaker said wait maybe a year or so until watch is settled then regulate it...
I have read this many times in one forum or another. It has never made sense to me. If a watch needs regulating, then regulate it. If after a year of "settling" or of "breaking in" it needs regulating again, then regulate it again. I see no reason to wait a year.
Bob_Loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 10:54 AM   #6
Sugarcubed
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
I guess I lucked out. My turtle out of the box averages -1.9 spd over 14 days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sugarcubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 01:42 PM   #7
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Check to see if it is magnetized first. And yes it is within spec. This watch was a lot cheaper than your Rolex and Omega's. So I wouldn't exactly expect the same performance.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2020, 12:07 AM   #8
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Take it to a watch maker that can regulate it. It can be done and should be able to be regulated with 10 seconds a day or better. I own a lot of Seiko's and I rotate through them so I very seldom pay attention to the accuracy.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2020, 01:58 AM   #9
Scubaguy
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the information.
Any recommendations re indie watch repair to have it regulated?
LI NY area?
Old 2 February 2020, 10:06 AM   #10
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaguy View Post
Hello,
I recently (6 weeks ago) purchased a Seiko padi turtle with the 4R36 automatic movement. I plan on using this watch for scuba diving. The watch runs consistently fast.. approximately 40 sec per day. I wear the watch for several days at a time and have to reset it every 3 days. I own other automatic watches ( rolex and omega ) and never have to reset them this often ( if at all). I called Seiko repair in NJ and they said the specs is 45 sec per day and there is nothing they can do.
This is my first Seiko and I NEVER would have purchased the watch if I knew it was this inaccurate.. I debated returning the watch to the seller (Macys) but decided to see if it would improve with time or can be regulated better but Seiko said nothing they can do. The company should be embarrassed to make such an inferior movement.
Any ideas or comments?

If accuracy is what your after, I would look at the quartz tuna marinemasters.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2020, 10:45 AM   #11
Doc Savage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 124060
Quote:
Hello,
Any ideas or comments?
All movements aren't created equal. Did you research the watch/movement before you purchased it? These are entry-level watches, and the accuracy is commensurate.

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2020, 03:34 PM   #12
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Quote:
Thanks for all the information.
Any recommendations re indie watch repair to have it regulated?
LI NY area?
Send it to Seiko in New Jersey.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2020, 11:27 PM   #13
Scubaguy
"TRF" Member

Seiko in NJ said that if it falls with in spec , 45 sec per day , they won't regulate at all to try to improve the accuracy. Absurd!!
Old 2 February 2020, 11:31 PM   #14
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Seiko in NJ said that if it falls with in spec , 45 sec per day , they won't regulate at all to try to improve the accuracy. Absurd!!

I don’t understand why you think this is absurd . The watch works as advertised . If you sent a Rolex to RSC that was running +2 spd and asked them to regulate it to 0.5 spd, you think they would do it for you?

Old 2 February 2020, 11:36 PM   #15
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
I agree with you Scubaguy. It would be nice to see Seiko take some care in the regulation and with the chapter ring issue. I think since we spend so much on other watches we forget that $500 to spend on a watch is still a lot of money, for a watch.

I had a 4R36 run at -35 seconds and returned it. Had him put another on the machine that was +5. We have spent a lot of money in his store and he had no problem with this.

This is a large Seiko dealer with a very good inventory. He mentioned how poor inconsistent quality is becoming hard on him. Watch guys demand a little more, and that's who he mainly deals with.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2020, 11:44 PM   #16
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I have the 7s26 and it seems to lose about 10 seconds a day or thereabouts.

From what I’ve read these movements (4r36 included) aren’t advertised as the most accurate timekeepers.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2020, 01:22 AM   #17
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
I don’t understand why you think this is absurd . The watch works as advertised . If you sent a Rolex to RSC that was running +2 spd and asked them to regulate it to 0.5 spd, you think they would do it for you?

I think the difference is 45 seconds can be improved upon with that given Seiko movement. You're not going to get a Rolex to hold .5 s/d
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2020, 01:28 AM   #18
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
I think the difference is 45 seconds can be improved upon with that given Seiko movement. You're not going to get a Rolex to hold .5 s/d

That wasn’t really my point - point is the OPs 4R is working within spec but he wanted it better - was just marking a hypothetical analogy to a Rolex owner wanting his/her Rolex to be more accurate than upper limit of spec - can a Rolex be regulated to be more accurate - sure it can, but RSC won’t do it for you (at least not under warranty). And I do have several Rolex that are under 1 spd. Seiko has a broad range of watches at diff price points with entry level movements and higher end movements that are more accurate. This is no different than buying a watch w an ETA or Sellita movement. OP didn’t go his homework before purchasing and wants to blame Seiko, which I just don’t think is fair. If he posted a thread saying “how do I improve the accuracy if my 4R movement” it would have been a fair post - instead he was appalled at the company for doing absolutely nothing wrong.

Old 3 February 2020, 01:29 AM   #19
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

From what I’ve read these movements (4r36 included) aren’t advertised as the most accurate timekeepers.
You are right, Brian. They aren't advertised as good time keepers so really there is no right to complain as long as they are in the 45 sec parameter or what ever it is they call for. I'm just a perfectionist type and it bothers me that Seiko doe's not take more pride in their work. But I do agree with you.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2020, 01:48 AM   #20
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
That wasn’t really my point - point is the OPs 4R is working within spec but he wanted it better - was just marking a hypothetical analogy to a Rolex owner wanting his/her Rolex to be more accurate than upper limit of spec - can a Rolex be regulated to be more accurate - sure it can, but RSC won’t do it for you (at least not under warranty). And I do have several Rolex that are under 1 spd. Seiko has a broad range of watches at diff price points with entry level movements and higher end movements that are more accurate. This is no different than buying a watch w an ETA or Sellita movement. OP didn’t go his homework before purchasing and wants to blame Seiko, which I just don’t think is fair. If he posted a thread saying “how do I improve the accuracy if my 4R movement” it would have been a fair post - instead he was appalled at the company for doing absolutely nothing wrong.

You're absolutely right. As to Rolex accuracy, I've got a few and none of them are bringing .5 s/d (nor do I expect them to).
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2020, 02:22 AM   #21
Randy63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Icon1

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

I have a 7s36 in a Seiko Monster that was about 45 seconds fast per day when I got it. I did send it in to Seiko's service center in Mahwah NJ for regulation. When I sent it in I told them it was running quite fast. They didn't ask how fast and I didn't offer a number. This was back in 2007.

I received the watch back running about 15 seconds fast a day. Good enough for me. I still have that Monster and it's still running 15 seconds fast per day.

Randy
Randy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2020, 05:02 AM   #22
ddaly12
"TRF" Member

We need a pic on this thread!! Here’s mine, she runs a bit slow but I only usually wear it for a day at a time, so it’s all good for me. I don’t mind reseting my watches.

ddaly12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2020, 05:48 AM   #23
Scubaguy
"TRF" Member

Thanks to all for their opinions/advice.
I think a company as large and well thought of as Seiko should produce an automatic movement that has greater accuracy than 45 sec per day. That degree of error represents a vastly inferior product and the company should have much greater standards than to allow a watch that has to be reset every few days be representative of their craftsmanship. That said, I will return the watch to Seiko and see if they can regulate the watch and improve upon the accuracy... probably will do this in several weeks after my planned dive trip.
Old 3 February 2020, 06:23 AM   #24
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
Quote:
I think a company as large and well thought of as Seiko should produce an automatic movement that has greater accuracy than 45 sec per day.
They do!

But you bought a mass produced movement that is a rock solid workhorse and quirky when it comes to accuracy. We all know that.

There are plenty of competent watchmakers in LI I'm sure. Any one of them can regulate it and seal it back up to go diving with. Do you work in NYC? If so, and you take the LIRR to Manhattan check out Star Watch Repair Service. Or if you go to Grand Central check out Grand Central Watch.
Old 3 February 2020, 06:27 AM   #25
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaly12 View Post
We need a pic on this thread!! Here’s mine, she runs a bit slow but I only usually wear it for a day at a time, so it’s all good for me. I don’t mind reseting my watches.

I think I have another one somewhere

Sent from Crapatalk
Old 3 February 2020, 06:29 AM   #26
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
If accuracy is what your after, I would look at the quartz tuna marinemasters.
Or the Arnie re-issue.
Old 3 February 2020, 06:49 AM   #27
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
You are right, Brian. They aren't advertised as good time keepers so really there is no right to complain as long as they are in the 45 sec parameter or what ever it is they call for. I'm just a perfectionist type and it bothers me that Seiko doe's not take more pride in their work. But I do agree with you.
Agreed
Old 3 February 2020, 06:50 AM   #28
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy63 View Post
I have a 7s36 in a Seiko Monster that was about 45 seconds fast per day when I got it. I did send it in to Seiko's service center in Mahwah NJ for regulation. When I sent it in I told them it was running quite fast. They didn't ask how fast and I didn't offer a number. This was back in 2007.

I received the watch back running about 15 seconds fast a day. Good enough for me. I still have that Monster and it's still running 15 seconds fast per day.

Randy
That’s pretty great if its consistent, which is also important
Old 3 February 2020, 02:13 PM   #29
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
seiko 4R36

Quote:

I’m sure you can find someone to regulate it. Try a independent watchmaker.

I had a Padi turtle that I regulated myself after watching some YouTube videos and I got it to keep pretty good time.

It started off by losing about 10 seconds a day and I brought it to losing less than two seconds a day.

Basically trial and error until I nailed it.
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 05:38 AM   #30
RolyMoly
Banned

Bump up to GS. Mine is off maybe a second in two weeks. Amazing accuracy.
RolyMoly is offline   Reply With Quote