The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 25 September 2017, 10:43 AM   #1
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Icon19 Star Trek: Discovery

Hey fellas,

The premiere for Discovery is tonight. Who will be watching?

Based on the trailers, I don't like what I see. The The acting/uniforms/sets/cinematography seems a lot like the new movies and nothing like the old shows.

Unless the show is phenomenal, I cannot see myself paying for CBS All Access. I think a lot of other people are in the same boat and honestly, I think this will really hurt the show. I'll reserve final judgement until I've watched tonight's episode, but I would not be surprised if the show is canceled after the first season.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 11:00 AM   #2
Magwitch
Banned

No "Star Trek" show can be worse than "The Orville."
Magwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 11:25 AM   #3
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Seems like there's a commercial break every 4 minutes, for 4 minutes. This will end up being 20 minutes of content compressed into an hour time slot.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 11:41 AM   #4
Springfield
"TRF" Member

This first episode looks great. They spent some money on it.
Springfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 12:04 PM   #5
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Nice production values. A mutiny by a first officer, please. This will be a soap opera by week three.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 12:29 PM   #6
AS1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
Hey fellas,

The premiere for Discovery is tonight. Who will be watching?

Based on the trailers, I don't like what I see. The The acting/uniforms/sets/cinematography seems a lot like the new movies and nothing like the old shows.

Unless the show is phenomenal, I cannot see myself paying for CBS All Access. I think a lot of other people are in the same boat and honestly, I think this will really hurt the show. I'll reserve final judgement until I've watched tonight's episode, but I would not be surprised if the show is canceled after the first season.
Agreed... I miss the old shows so much, the reboot did nothing for me.
AS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 12:31 PM   #7
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
I have mixed feelings. I grew up watching TNG, reruns of the original, than voyager, and enterprise (Jolene Balock was HOT). Captain Picard for the win!
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 01:51 PM   #8
Lamone
Banned

Watch: ya mawt!
I've always been a "trekie". I cannot wait to watch the first episode. Deep Space Nine was my all time favorite, followed by The Next Generation. Movies were great as well.
Lamone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 02:18 PM   #9
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Nice production values. A mutiny by a first officer, please. This will be a soap opera by week three.
Agreed. Production value was very good, but everything else fell short. I laughed out loud when Michael did the nerve pinch on the captain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AS1 View Post
Agreed... I miss the old shows so much, the reboot did nothing for me.
This show is going to rely on visuals which is a shame because this isn't what made the old shows great. I'm sure CBS is trying to capture a younger demo and most people who are new to Trek have only seen the recent JJ Abrams movies so they will expect to see something similar. Too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
I have mixed feelings. I grew up watching TNG, reruns of the original, than voyager, and enterprise (Jolene Balock was HOT). Captain Picard for the win!
TNG/DS9/VOY were all great. Enterprise got off to a rocky start, but the 3rd and 4th seasons were pretty decent. I liked the Xindi story arc. And yea, Jolene was a total babe lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamone View Post
I've always been a "trekie". I cannot wait to watch the first episode. Deep Space Nine was my all time favorite, followed by The Next Generation. Movies were great as well.
Agreed. DS9 was my favorite series, too. Awesome characters and I loved how in depth the show got with the relationship between the Bajorans and Cardassians.
Old 11 December 2017, 08:00 AM   #10
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Are any of you still watching Discovery? How do you like it? I am not going to sign up for another service just to watch one show (even though I love ST). I am hoping that it will be released on normal CBS or maybe Netflix once the season is over.

On a somewhat related note, are any of you still watching The Orville? At the beginning, I expected it to be a ST parody with a Family Guy sense of humor, which I was totally cool with, but the show has surpassed my expectations by a mile. The Orville is a seriously good show. The finale was excellent and reminded me of the TNG episode "Who Watches the Watchers". That TNG episode was one of the better ones, but I actually thought The Orville finale was more thought provoking.

Anyway, I believe The Orville was the first Fox show to be renewed this season and I couldn't be happier.
Old 11 December 2017, 08:23 AM   #11
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
The last Star Trek I followed besides the original and because i’m Old School was Star Trek The Next Generation. I did purchase one of their latest movies but mainly it’s because I have a 4K TV and the movies in 4K are still few and far between. Although the movie was in 4K the actual movie put me to sleep. Ah well some of the Star Trek movies in the 80’s were disappointing but at least I was at home with the familiar faces of Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and the rest of the crew. After The Next Generation if the Movie is crap I just have no idea who these new clowns are so I guess I’ll just have to take a pass.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 08:35 AM   #12
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
The last Star Trek I followed besides the original and because i’m Old School was Star Trek The Next Generation. I did purchase one of their latest movies but mainly it’s because I have a 4K TV and the movies in 4K are still few and far between. Although the movie was in 4K the actual movie put me to sleep. Ah well some of the Star Trek movies in the 80’s were disappointing but at least I was at home with the familiar faces of Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and the rest of the crew. After The Next Generation if the Movie is crap I just have no idea who these new clowns are so I guess I’ll just have to take a pass.
Dan, did you ever watch Voyager or Deep Space Nine? Those were excellent series and just as good as TNG, if not better (specifically, Deep Space Nine).
Old 11 December 2017, 08:50 AM   #13
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Dan, did you ever watch Voyager or Deep Space Nine? Those were excellent series and just as good as TNG, if not better (specifically, Deep Space Nine).
I saw a few Deep Space Nines and I think you might be right although for whatever reason I just didn’t make it a point to watch that series. I never did watch Voyager. However I never did watch Mad Men nor Hell on Wheels until I recently got Netflix and I find those two shows pretty good. Same goes for a few HBO shows like Deadwood and Boardwalk Empire. I had HBO for awhile but until I got Amazon Prime for the 4K content I hadn’t watched them even though they aren’t in 4K. Go figure.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 09:22 AM   #14
Bigblu10
Banned

As a kid I grew up watching reruns of the original Star Trek. I also enjoyed the earlier movies that were made with the original actors. After that, I didn't follow any of the newer stuff. I think the revival of Star Wars and it's popularity with us who were kids in the late 70's watching the original trilogy and now kids today being introduced to the newer movies has far surpassed the Star Trek franchise. But then again, Disney paid George Lucas $3 billion, they have to profit from their investment.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 11:57 AM   #15
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Favorite Original Star Trek show: “Requiem for Methusela”.

Favorite Next Generation Trek show: “The Inner Light”
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 01:53 PM   #16
Brenngun
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Grew up on the original Star Trek series. I've watched this new series from the beginning but not sure I'm staying with it. Nothing to do with availability just can't get by the technology/timeline issue. I know I'm supposed to suspend reality and all but how did an earlier civilization have such advanced technology.

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 12:40 AM   #17
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
I saw a few Deep Space Nines and I think you might be right although for whatever reason I just didn’t make it a point to watch that series. I never did watch Voyager. However I never did watch Mad Men nor Hell on Wheels until I recently got Netflix and I find those two shows pretty good. Same goes for a few HBO shows like Deadwood and Boardwalk Empire. I had HBO for awhile but until I got Amazon Prime for the 4K content I hadn’t watched them even though they aren’t in 4K. Go figure.
If you get the chance, I would watch Deep Space Nine. Great storyline and characters. Very memorable series.

If your looking for something good to watch on HBO, I’d suggest Game of Thrones and Westworld.
Old 12 December 2017, 12:48 AM   #18
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Favorite Original Star Trek show: “Requiem for Methusela”.

Favorite Next Generation Trek show: “The Inner Light”
That was a great episode. You should check out The Orville, Paul. It’s goofy at times, but really does feel like a ST show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenngun View Post
Grew up on the original Star Trek series. I've watched this new series from the beginning but not sure I'm staying with it. Nothing to do with availability just can't get by the technology/timeline issue. I know I'm supposed to suspend reality and all but how did an earlier civilization have such advanced technology.
I only saw the first episode so I don’t know what’s going on. The first season is still playing, right?

In some ways, I want the show to fail because 1) It seems like the writers and producers are more focused on capturing a new audience than staying true to form and 2) I feel like CBS is holding people hostage by forcing them to pay extra to watch this show. Bastards!
Old 12 December 2017, 09:47 AM   #19
MrTwi
"TRF" Member

There is only ONE Enterprise Captain and his name is

James Tiberius Kirk

Now serious, I see a lot of pushback like this:

What’s with All the Hate for ‘Star Trek: Discovery’?

How about, if anyone has to explain it to them, they don't get it?

Pay for it? ROFL
MrTwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 09:54 AM   #20
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I am not going to pay for another subscription service, but I would like to see Discovery. I might binge on Orville.

Like Paul (VTCGuy), my favorite TNG episode is The Inner Light. That was brilliant and imaginative writing.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 03:50 PM   #21
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
The Orville is a seriously good show. The finale was excellent and reminded me of the TNG episode "Who Watches the Watchers". That TNG episode was one of the better ones, but I actually thought The Orville finale was more thought provoking.
The season-ending episode spoke volumes.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote