The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 2 October 2020, 05:42 PM   #1
neilm92
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedy
Help. GS v Sinn

I have a weird one. I'm currently in the market for a sub €2000 purchase. I have found a GS SBGV245 at what I think is a competitive price at €1900. However there's a part of me longing for a classic flieger and the Sinn 356 fits that mold and comes in at €1950 new. My main concern is if I opt for the GS, are Sinn likely to cease production of the 356? I genuinely can't decide what my heart wants here. Looking for some external input.
neilm92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2020, 05:47 PM   #2
neilm92
"TRF" Member

I guess for context I should add I don't own one of either brands. And the only other 'high end' quartz I own is a Breitling Aerospace. I have a chrono in the form of a Speedy.
Old 2 October 2020, 11:30 PM   #3
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

That is a tough call. You could use wear-ability as a tie breaker? As much as I love the Sinn 356, the 15.5mm thickness would make it less comfortable on my wrists when compared with the SBGV.
thesingularity7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2020, 11:59 PM   #4
-dustin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

as much as i like pilot watches, and as much as i like Sinn, that GS is awesome.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 03:56 AM   #5
neilm92
"TRF" Member

I really agree, the GS grabbed me the minute I saw it. It's a nice decision to make but a tough one nonetheless. Will keep you posted on what I chose
Old 3 October 2020, 07:15 AM   #6
utc66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600, PAM112,EZM1
I really really like the GS SBGV245. I'm just not ready to add a quartz in my life just yet.

One thing I noticed in this video (link below) review of the watch is that GS could be prone to some really disappointing scratches. Some watches look okay with scratches and love - this one, I'm not so sure considering the superb zaratsu finish. Sure you can get it refinished but that means sending it off to Japan. Take a look at the 1:36 (mm:ss) for example of the big ding on the bezel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVgDE5QL6Rk

On the other hand the 356 dial reminds me too much of the Ollech & Was Mirage III. Which is okay, I had the Mirage III as my first real watch but grew tired of the cluttered dial. But the hands are very visible from across the room.

Good luck with your search. Oh and sorry to be negative on your 2 watch choices - I could live with either one.
utc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 07:21 AM   #7
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I like the GS better than that Sinn. I would not get hung up on the quartz issue.
I own a Sinn 104, but I think GS is a step up. And I am a big Sinn fan.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 09:48 AM   #8
stockae92
"TRF" Member

I guess it depends what puts a smile your face?

Case finish / polish that you can stare at?

Tool watch that looks and works like one?

Out of the 2, base on what I already have, I would go with the GS. The Aerospace is already a tool watch, GS will be a nice addition for you to admire.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 09:53 AM   #9
Txkill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
I’ve owned the Gs you want, sold it a week later. I’ve been eying the 356, looks fantastic, go for it!
Txkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 10:16 AM   #10
utc66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600, PAM112,EZM1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txkill View Post
I’ve owned the Gs you want, sold it a week later. I’ve been eying the 356, looks fantastic, go for it!
Why did you flip it so quickly?
utc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2020, 03:15 AM   #11
neilm92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txkill View Post
Interesting, can I ask why you got rid so soon? My main concern with the GS is, it looks great when fresh, but as mentioned, how will it age? Not at all concerned about the quartz, in fact I'm also considering a Citizen Chronomaster, as of last night This is a tough hobby.
Old 4 October 2020, 07:20 AM   #12
Txkill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilm92 View Post
Interesting, can I ask why you got rid so soon? My main concern with the GS is, it looks great when fresh, but as mentioned, how will it age? Not at all concerned about the quartz, in fact I'm also considering a Citizen Chronomaster, as of last night This is a tough hobby.

It was going to be my first quartz high end watch...and I’m not gonna lie...I don’t think I’m ready for it. If you know what I mean. It looks absolutely phenomenal though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Txkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 09:23 AM   #13
britabroad
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS SBGV245
SBGV245 is amazing, no pic or video shows it off in a good light.

Its quite shiny sometimes and yes dings will be seen but just enjoy it

strap monster, classy yet a 200m water resistance been diving in it lol , i love the case shape first GS that fits my wrist nicely and is not 100% to dressy for me but with a 20mm lug width

please tell what you go for and why
britabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 11:39 AM   #14
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
GS >> Sinn. Different watches, but I'll go GS any time. Quality is top notch. I was not impressed with Sinn divers. Plus, you can easily dress up GS. Sinn, not so much.
Old 24 November 2020, 12:09 PM   #15
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

That GS is killer, go for it
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 07:45 PM   #16
neilm92
"TRF" Member

So ultimately the GS deal fell through and I now agree with the majority, the GS is the better watch. So I'm still on the hunt for one.
Old 25 November 2020, 01:56 PM   #17
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
GS all the way!

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 08:18 PM   #18
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilm92 View Post
So ultimately the GS deal fell through and I now agree with the majority, the GS is the better watch. So I'm still on the hunt for one.
Because the deal fell through?

My advice: take a bit of breather and come back to it with a clear unencumbered head. Buy whichever you genuinely like best...
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 11:41 PM   #19
Dave455
"TRF" Member

Difficult question, because the watches are so different.

I don’t own any Grand Seiko, but I like the idea, and may well do so at some point. I particularly like the quartz movements. I think they are about the best out there, not only from an accuracy point of view, but also in regard to build quality. They really are nice.

The only thing that’s put me off is the style of watches they put them in. Most of the Grand Seiko’s are beautifully built, but very much “office” watches. Certainly the Quartz models. I think Seiko are missing a trick here. If they produced a HAQ watch with a decent legible face, white hands and indexes on a black face or vice versa, nice legible minute marks, It would be an instant purchase for me.

If you like the styling of the SBGV245 then go for it, I doubt you will be disappointed by the quality, but personally it doesn’t excite me.

I have several Sinn watches, and think they are stunning. Helmet Sinn was one of the few watchmakers who knew exactly what he was doing with regard to legibility. The 356 is more traditional than some in the range, but it’s still awesome. All the Sinn watches are beautifully put together in my experience, and their cases are amongst the most rugged out there. I have had an 856 in regular use for over 15 years and the tough matte finish has worn better than anything else I own.

The downsides of Sinn is that some of their models are a bit slab sided. My 856, love it as I do, is quite a chunk of metal and it does tend to get hung up on things. You also only get an off the shelf ETA or Selitta movement. Nothing wrong with that, and Sinn fit them well, but not in Grand Seiko league.

My gut feeling, is that as Rolex go further down the route of only making their watches available to their preferred customers, they will cease to become the choice of professional Army, Navy and Air Force officers, professional Sailors, Pilots, Explorers etc etc, who will gradually move to watches such as Sinn. This is a trend I’m already seeing. On that basis I’d be tempted to go for the Sinn on grounds of value retention alone, even if I didn’t prefer it, which I do.

How about a different, perhaps non chronograph, Sinn?
Dave455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 01:19 AM   #20
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
My vote GS
Old 26 November 2020, 02:59 AM   #21
cardiel
"TRF" Member

I fancy a Sinn EZM2

http://www.deskdivers.com/Site/EZM.html
cardiel is offline   Reply With Quote