The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 16 October 2019, 12:23 PM   #91
Juhuatai
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5508 & 9401
Quote:
Originally Posted by btinl View Post
Hmm. Stained dial then washed off lume. If this was a more valuable or rare dial, I would be furious.
Yeah, but no use crying over spilled milk. He's willing to source a correct 1988 R serial dial or financially compensate me so while I am upset, I understand that mistakes happen. I'm just not sure what happened as he's serviced multiple watches before with no real issues.
Juhuatai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 01:09 PM   #92
mattedialdoc
"TRF" Member

This is tragic. Good luck in the resurrection. I’ve been through the process searching for a replacement part and it can be sobering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mattedialdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 01:13 PM   #93
oysterquartz17000
Banned

Watch: Submariner 16803
Do you get to keep the original dial?
oysterquartz17000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 07:33 AM   #94
Juhuatai
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oysterquartz17000 View Post
Do you get to keep the original dial?
Would be an exchange basis.
Old 19 October 2019, 10:56 AM   #95
RC2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675
How do you wash Lume off?

Member of Nylon Nation
Red Sox Nation
Instagram watchguy97
RC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 11:01 AM   #96
Juhuatai
2024 Pledge Member

I’m guessing they were cleaning the dial and accidently cleaned it off as well.
Old 19 October 2019, 01:40 PM   #97
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC2 View Post
How do you wash Lume off?

Not to one up you Rich, but how do you stain an expensive dial that's in for a service, then damage the dial again removing the stain? We all know the answer to that ... right! Unbelievable.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 10:02 PM   #98
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Op is taking it pretty well. Mistakes happen, but to call them “professional “ after two huge mistakes like that....a very patient collector! Crazy
Old 20 October 2019, 12:29 AM   #99
RC2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Not to one up you Rich, but how do you stain an expensive dial that's in for a service, then damage the dial again removing the stain? We all know the answer to that ... right! Unbelievable.

All good My friend.

Member of Nylon Nation
Red Sox Nation
Instagram watchguy97
Old 20 October 2019, 02:08 AM   #100
Rolexlover92
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust, Speedy
I really want to know the name of the person who serviced the watch so I never send any of my watches to them. Hopefully they will find you a mint 1016 Dial.
Rolexlover92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2019, 10:02 AM   #101
theflywrist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
Op is taking it pretty well. Mistakes happen, but to call them “professional “ after two huge mistakes like that....a very patient collector! Crazy
I agree.
I know mistakes happen but I would be very upset if they made another mistake (probably much worse) in attempt on fixing a previous one.

I’m not a watchmaker though and I don’t pretend to know how common it is for these things to happen, nor how difficult it is to avoid them from happening at least 99% of the times.
theflywrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2019, 01:04 PM   #102
NYC6
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBMARINER 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhuatai View Post
I just talked to the watchmaker I sent it to, he’s going to have me send it back so they can take a look at it....if they can fix it without restoring it they’ll do so. The problem is I don’t have any evidence that it wasn’t there so he’s going to talk to his watchmakers to confirm it wasn’t there before service but I’m positive it wasn’t. I didn’t think to take any photos beforehand.

I guess financial compensation is probably the only way forward but I’m not sure how we’re gonna sort that out...
Lots a businesses know to tell the customer beforehand that there are issues on the watch, car or whatever to eliminate these issues. Good for him and the customer.
It’s plain as day for me to see from the pic and should have been jumping out at the person doing the watch. I’d hold his feet to the fire on this one.
NYC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2019, 04:57 PM   #103
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

How do you decide on a value of the dial, not knowing what the future will bring (good or bad). But if this watch would go to 100k and you get compensated 5k for the dial in 2019, that would still sting in the future.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 12:33 AM   #104
STEELINOX
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
Quote:
Stain is all gone! However he accidentally washed the lume off the 3 o clock marker. They are currently sourcing a new dial or will make me whole if they can’t find one. Sigh. I will say the watchmaker has been extremely professional throughout this trial.

Tragic occurrence indeed, he needs to make you whole at the utmost end of the value lost...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 01:15 PM   #105
116710er
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer six.
It would really be nice to know who serviced this so people can make an informed decision before they send off their watch to this person.
Old 22 October 2019, 04:28 PM   #106
Juhuatai
2024 Pledge Member

Stain on dial after service

Quick question to all: in such a situation does the watchmaker have a claim to the damaged dial? I.e. he claims to source a new dial for $5k he wants to trade this one in for $3k and then pay $2k on top. If I want to keep this dial, since it’s original to the watch, should I be able to and thus he should source the new dial on his own?

Another thing is that he viewed the photo in the thread and he doesn’t think the dial is damaged significantly and claims that there is plenty of lume on the 3o clock marker. I am of the opinion that there are trace amounts but 90% is gone. Am I crazy?
Old 22 October 2019, 05:35 PM   #107
bob78h
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610
Quote:
Quick question to all: in such a situation does the watchmaker have a claim to the damaged dial? I.e. he claims to source a new dial for $5k he wants to trade this one in for $3k and then pay $2k on top. If I want to keep this dial, since it’s original to the watch, should I be able to and thus he should source the new dial on his own?

Another thing is that he viewed the photo in the thread and he doesn’t think the dial is damaged significantly and claims that there is plenty of lume on the 3o clock marker. I am of the opinion that there are trace amounts but 90% is gone. Am I crazy?
From that photo it looks to me like most of the lume is gone on the 3. You can clearly see how the edges of the 6 and 9 are blurry from the lume applied over the printed numbers, whereas the 3 is very crisp.
bob78h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2019, 10:05 PM   #108
RC2
"TRF" Member

Any update?

Member of Nylon Nation
Red Sox Nation
Instagram watchguy97
Old 27 October 2019, 05:31 AM   #109
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

It sounds like if you keep your dial, he owes you $2k (if that truly is the delta between the two).

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2019, 05:34 AM   #110
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:

and claims that there is plenty of lume on the 3o clock marker.
Is the watchmaker blind by any chance?

Could you please out this guy, two fuck ups and then he mentions that. I would be done with him.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2019, 05:55 AM   #111
Robtayham
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I haven’t been keeping up with Explorers. You mentioned 1988 in an earlier post and $5,000.

Are you saying a period correct dial for a 1988 Rolex Explorer is $5,000?
Robtayham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2019, 06:12 AM   #112
btinl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: on my wrist
Quote:

This is BS.
btinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2019, 06:16 AM   #113
Juhuatai
2024 Pledge Member

Well he has come around and accepted that there is significant damage. He’s sent me a check for 4K which I am waiting on. He is also currently sourcing a dial, if he can get one that I am satisfied with, he will replace the dial and I will return the 4K. I've given him 3 months to source a dial.

In regards to period correct dial, apparently 5k is around the price for such a dial.
Old 27 October 2019, 06:43 AM   #114
SydR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well he has come around and accepted that there is significant damage. He’s sent me a check for 4K which I am waiting on. He is also currently sourcing a dial, if he can get one that I am satisfied with, he will replace the dial and I will return the 4K. I've given him 3 months to source a dial.

In regards to period correct dial, apparently 5k is around the price for such a dial.

So a new dial will cost $5k, he sends you a cheque for $4k and you give him 3 months to find a correct period dial and fit it?

What incentive is there for him to do that? Are you allowing him to keep the old dial?

Sounds like a bad deal all round.
SydR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2019, 06:56 AM   #115
frackas
"TRF" Member

I'll be surprised if he's able to source a similar dial in three months. The R and L-series dials are very distinctive with the blurred lume. But let's hope for the best.
frackas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2019, 06:59 AM   #116
Juhuatai
2024 Pledge Member

He'd get the dial back so he would save some money. Yeah I don't think he will be able to but I'd like to remain hopeful.
Old 29 October 2019, 04:57 PM   #117
In-Cog-Neeto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
He'd get the dial back so he would save some money. Yeah I don't think he will be able to but I'd like to remain hopeful.
Real sorry for you on this one

Personally, I wouldn’t settle for an either or with dial vs cash

I’d be looking to source another completely original reference in the same condition as yours was pre screw ups, for them to pay for it and then give them the damaged watch in exchange. That is unless your current one has sentimental value in which case I’d be expecting a replaced dial (while I kept the original for completeness) plus financial restitution for the time and angst suffered.

I’m assuming you have had the cost of the service works refunded already?

They should have liability insurance - they simply need to claim on that and deal with the consequence
Old 30 October 2019, 12:27 AM   #118
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-Cog-Neeto View Post
... plus financial restitution for the time and angst suffered.
Perhaps this suggestion is taking things a bit too far, but I guess it represents the world we live in now.
Old 30 October 2019, 01:32 AM   #119
Juhuatai
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-Cog-Neeto View Post
Real sorry for you on this one

Personally, I wouldn’t settle for an either or with dial vs cash

I’d be looking to source another completely original reference in the same condition as yours was pre screw ups, for them to pay for it and then give them the damaged watch in exchange. That is unless your current one has sentimental value in which case I’d be expecting a replaced dial (while I kept the original for completeness) plus financial restitution for the time and angst suffered.

I’m assuming you have had the cost of the service works refunded already?

They should have liability insurance - they simply need to claim on that and deal with the consequence
Yes the service has been refunded. I think financial restitution for time and angst is a little extraneous.
Old 30 October 2019, 03:45 AM   #120
In-Cog-Neeto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Perhaps this suggestion is taking things a bit too far, but I guess it represents the world we live in now.
Quote:
Yes the service has been refunded. I think financial restitution for time and angst is a little extraneous.
Obviously it’s just my opinion and what I would do in this situation. You are the one who has been affected and only you know how valuable your time is.

To me, trust was placed in a professional to carry out works which they should be proficient in. Either through lack of care or through inability they have caused significant damage. Did they act with the care of a reasonably competent professional? If not, then they were negligent, and if this then caused me to lose time etc I would seek compensation for that as my time is quite valuable and should be spent on better things than this.

The angst only comes into it if there was a sentimental attachment to the watch - imagine if this was your dead fathers watch he had bequeathed you after you spent years admiring it. As mentioned, if sentimentality doesn’t apply then it’s not for consideration

Overall I don’t think they’ve really lived up to a standard I would have expected and have not rectified the situation to what would be my satisfaction. Again, just my opinion