The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 24 November 2020, 03:40 AM   #1
sunset117
"TRF" Member

New glashutte original sixties vintage date purchase

Hey guys, so I basically check in anytime I get or an about to get a new piece lol... not an active daily but active in spurts when researching my pics etc.

Regardless I was wanting a dress watch bc my collection is more overtly sport, to say the least. So I went in originally thinking maybe a JLC? So I started looking at the master thins and honestly the only JLC I loved was the thin sector dial master control and unfortunately that seemed to be a limited batch type deal and I missed the time and I’m not one who is willing to pay over retail. I looked into similar JLCs but I couldn’t find one I loved like that sector dial. I tried to find a reverso or thin but no dice. While intending to buy a dresser type watch, I got offered an amazing deal on a Vacheron Overseas, white dial, 37m, full b&p, and a hair under 5k which just seemed amazing honestly. But, after much thought, despite wanting to get into the holy trinity, my last watch purchase was a blancpain fifty fathoms, and before that, a Tudor Harrods, and before that an omega bond type diver, so I just felt like I needed a non dive/sport watch.
Began looking again and since I’m big into deals, I got an amazing deal on a lightly used Glashutr Original vintage sixties date. I would never buy this watch AD at retail, but on the secondary/grey, I got it at about 60% of msrp and it’s essentially condition 0 /unworn. So I feel like it prolly won’t loose a ton more value right? Prolly just an assumption but I thot bc I got a good deal, has a lesser chance of biting me ...
Now before seeing this watch I really only liked the Pano versions from Go, y’all know what I’m talking about , specifically the ALS knock off ones ,I just love. I know the finishing and all isn’t the same, but for us whoALS is unattainable, the GO is hardly just a placement medal, it’s an impressive piece in its own right!
Either way, will looking at these Pano AlS type pieces, I got an offer for a vintage collection sixties pano date. And well what I really really liked from the pano GO was the date window execution. I just feel the double date thing is so seem less and well done. So, well, my sixties I was looking at had the date and this dial that just made me think of grand seiko. So I feel I went looking for a dress watch and got more of an everyday office watch, not really formal but I’m not a formal dude so JLC prolly wasn’t the best.
Either way, if y’all can confirm it looks good/authentic that would ease my mind. And share any info u know on these as I really don’t know much about the brand.

Also, anyone who has decent ideas for dress watches but even after this I think I still need a dress watch, as I’ve sadly been using just a Nomos so I wasn’t out of touch sporting a speedy or diver lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A38C7B69-8AAE-4A55-8A48-C3FD9CC59FE1.jpeg (131.2 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpeg 03166EA2-7D9D-4708-B04A-D7BE602260C5.jpeg (45.6 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by sunset117; 24 November 2020 at 03:44 AM.. Reason: Typo correctiok
sunset117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 03:47 AM   #2
sunset117
"TRF" Member

Also, it’s getting sent to an authenticator via a service so I’m fairly confident they’ll catch if there are any issues. I don’t suspect there are. I’m really happy w the price I got it for, bc I literally got it for 60% of the msrp so I don’t think it can loose a ton even if I wear I a lot. Idk fr w the market or anything but fingers crossed. Love to know anyone else’s thoughts on the brand and it’s value retention in the used market. I think the fact I got it for almost 1/2 kinda says it’s not an AD piece but a great grey/preowned one... love to hear y’alls thots
sunset117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 07:04 PM   #3
tna23
"TRF" Member

Congrats on your sixties GO! I have the blue one (no date) and it is my favourite in my collection. Incredibly versatile watch that goes with pretty much everything. I'm sure you'll really enjoy yours.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
tna23 is offline   Reply With Quote