The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 27 June 2018, 02:00 AM   #1
dankap911
"TRF" Member

Icon5 Rolex Submariner Issues & Service Advice

Hello, I have a Y Series Submariner with date. I wear it every day, in the shower, to sleep. I basically never take it off.

A couple of months ago i started hearing/feeling a gear grinding sound (maybe like a whirl) coming from my watch as my hand would swing a certain way.

Then I started noticing that my time was moving too fast like +4-5 minutes every 2 days. Always fast never really slow. Then most recently, i noticed my watch would just stop.

I wear it every day, and manually wind it whenever I change the time due to travel or time change.

When manually winding it, i did start to notice a little change in the way it felt while winding. Somewhere between a little rough to turn the stem and a little grainy on the wind. I have never dropped it or banged the watch.

So I called the Rolex Service HQ in NYC. They want $700 minimum just to service it and give me an estimate on what could be wrong.

Any suggestions? take the plunge and do it right and maybe spend $1,000 or look for a cheaper alternative to Rolex HQ.
dankap911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2018, 05:09 AM   #2
1WatchDawg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610T Sub Date
Contact Rikki Dietel at TimeCare Inc., He is an independent with a Rolex parts account. Lots of TRFs use him.and prices are very reasonable.
1WatchDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2018, 06:48 AM   #3
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
The 3135 is bulletproof, however, it does have one minor issue where the rotor axle can wear out. That’s my guess for the noise you hear, it’s time for service before it gets worse. RSC or independent like mentioned above Is a great choice. Rolex will likely tell you to replace the bezel and cyrstal where an independent will service the movement and replace the gaskets.
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2018, 11:37 AM   #4
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

+1 on axle wear. It's normal given the age of watch and wear. Fix sooner rather than later imho.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2018, 02:04 AM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankap911 View Post
Hello, I have a Y Series Submariner with date. I wear it every day, in the shower, to sleep. I basically never take it off.

A couple of months ago i started hearing/feeling a gear grinding sound (maybe like a whirl) coming from my watch as my hand would swing a certain way.

Then I started noticing that my time was moving too fast like +4-5 minutes every 2 days. Always fast never really slow. Then most recently, i noticed my watch would just stop.

I wear it every day, and manually wind it whenever I change the time due to travel or time change.

When manually winding it, i did start to notice a little change in the way it felt while winding. Somewhere between a little rough to turn the stem and a little grainy on the wind. I have never dropped it or banged the watch.

So I called the Rolex Service HQ in NYC. They want $700 minimum just to service it and give me an estimate on what could be wrong.

Any suggestions? take the plunge and do it right and maybe spend $1,000 or look for a cheaper alternative to Rolex HQ.
I would say your watch needs a full service at RSC,the main Achilles heel in most of the Rolex 15,30,31, series movements like the cal 3135 is the rotor shaft bearings. and IMO its the 31 series movements weakest link the rotor winding sleeve bearings. Now these need proper lubrication and its very critical its done right,if it dries out especially in warm climates you will get severe wear in the bearing jewels.Looks like to me Rolex has sacrificed a bit in the engineering department for better winding efficiency. IMHO the small diameter winding post don't offer enough support to the rotor weight, but again some go on for decades without service, but many fail for the lack of.But if your rotor does need replacing then you can be 100% sure the movement needs a full service as well.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2018, 01:24 AM   #6
SearChart
TechXpert

When the axle is thoroughly worn, the ground off debris gets in the upper bearing from the seconds wheel, this will cause a lowered amplitude (which is probably the reason why it runs fast) and excessive wear.

Standard service on a professional model is €700 at RSC, you can save a few hundred when going independent.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote