The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 20 July 2018, 09:18 PM   #121
ragsk
Banned

Btw other goods work this way to stop profiteering. As a newbie, try ordering an in demand waitlisted Ferrari - they stick a clause in not allowing you to “flip” your deposit.

You have two options if you dont want the car:
1. They will try to sell it for you at list price to someone else
2. lose the deposit

They do this again to discourage profiteering. Walk into Maranello as a newbie and they will be rock solid on that point. You wont accept it, they wont accept your order. Their Maserati section is anything goes lol
Old 20 July 2018, 10:07 PM   #122
rmurphy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16600
Does them keeping the warranty card actually prevent anyone from flipping it for a profit? I don’t think it does anything close to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20 July 2018, 10:17 PM   #123
rmurphy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Bought all my Rolex watches grey, all with my name on the card under full warranty. Stamped by the AD who sold the watch to the grey dealer in the first place.

Over night delivery of a full set without playing games.

There are more grey dealers than those you mentioned and it makes buying a Rolex easy peasy.

I personally would never buy from an AD for all of the reasons mentioned. I’m not playing those stupid games.

Old 20 July 2018, 10:22 PM   #124
Chaching
"TRF" Member

Watch: Many! 116718 GOLD
hence …. don't buy from a bloody AD!!
Old 20 July 2018, 10:23 PM   #125
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmurphy View Post
Does them keeping the warranty card actually prevent anyone from flipping it for a profit? I don’t think it does anything close to that.

No it doesnt. But it makes it less sellable to some degree. Worth less to a grey I suppose. Harder convo for a grey to have with his buyer. He will either be selling it without a card or telling his customer it will come in 12 months as long as the guy he bought it from goes to collect it from his AD and sends it to him. I wouldnt trust that for a second. More hope than anything.......
Old 21 July 2018, 05:48 AM   #126
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Not a fair practice, don’t know if legal for them to do so unless you agree before paying for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
Old 22 July 2018, 12:29 AM   #127
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
Not a fair practice, don’t know if legal for them to do so unless you agree before paying for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Of course it’s agreed before the customer pays.
Old 22 July 2018, 01:06 AM   #128
air_king
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyman View Post
yes it happens. Get over it.

If you are not selling the watch i don't see the problem in not having the card for 12 months.
+1
Old 22 July 2018, 01:42 AM   #129
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

I'd venture to say that 90% of grey inventory comes from dealers, not individuals. I would even bet that a few years ago when demand was slack that Rolex unloaded excess inventory to the greys directly.

Furthermore, it is a big part of the brand identity that certain models are immediately worth a few grand more than you paid for them. Rolex loves this and cultivates this, and the last thing they want is for it to stop. All of this hootenanny is cosmetic BS for those who can be persuaded that "flippers" are the cause of the "problem."
Old 14 August 2018, 04:04 AM   #130
skywatch
"TRF" Member

Keeping my documents

I have just bought a Rolex sky dweller and was informed that the dealership was going to keep my documents. At the time i thought it was strange but as i liked the watch i decided to go ahead with transaction.

After sleeping on my decision i feel its wrong that Goldsmiths (AD) did this and have tried to fight what they are doing.

Has anyone managed to overturn the decision?
What rights do we have as a consumer?

I have today challenged the decision and received a formal letter explaining the decision.

Any advice anyone has to get this decision overturned would help.

Thank you.
Old 14 August 2018, 04:09 AM   #131
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
I have just bought a Rolex sky dweller and was informed that the dealership was going to keep my documents. At the time i thought it was strange but as i liked the watch i decided to go ahead with transaction.

After sleeping on my decision i feel its wrong that Goldsmiths (AD) did this and have tried to fight what they are doing.

I have today challenged the decision and received a formal letter explaining the decision.

Thank you.
More likely by fighting this they’ll decide not to sell to you.
Are you planning to keep the watch? If not it shouldn’t be a big deal.

What sky-Dweller model is it? They’d easily sell it to someone else if it’s a steel one.
Old 14 August 2018, 04:15 AM   #132
mulgogy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollies
Quote:

Thank you.

They told you up front their terms for purchasing. You agreed. Just enjoy the watch.
Old 14 August 2018, 04:24 AM   #133
challer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Bought all my Rolex watches grey, all with my name on the card under full warranty. Stamped by the AD who sold the watch to the grey dealer in the first place.
Over night delivery of a full set without playing games.
There are more grey dealers than those you mentioned and it makes buying a Rolex easy peasy.
Same here. I've got all the paper and the warranty card. It's interesting to see where they've come from (Nice, Ottawa, Spain), all from ADs. Most of the buyers were from Hong Kong. As I understand, talking to some of these buyers, they'll fly to the US/Europe and just drive to all the various ADs off the beaten path and pick up what they can get. And then sell them to the grey market.

FWIW, in my case, the price markup from grey dealers for very hard to find references (SkyD, SD43 most recently) has been less than the sales tax I would pay locally, so I've come out ahead. I would not put my name on a mythical waitlist or try to buy my way into the favor of an AD.
Old 14 August 2018, 04:32 AM   #134
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Have you actually collected it yet?
Old 14 August 2018, 04:47 AM   #135
Rogrmo
Banned

Well done Sky Watch, I will be fighting it once I get my hands on a watch, I have spoke to Rolex UK regarding this mattter, they have carefully used there words, “it is Rolex recommendation that AD’s hold on to warranty cards” I believe the word recommendation is used for legal reasons,

Please note your contract is with Goldsmiths not Rolex, first point would be to take legal advice, most Solicitor regarding consumer law do not charge for the first appointment,

If you are ssriously about fighting this I would set up a crowd funding page to see if others would contribute to any cost, I am more than happy to send money once a page is set up.
Old 14 August 2018, 04:51 AM   #136
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogrmo View Post
Well done Sky Watch, I will be fighting it once I get my hands on a watch, I have spoke to Rolex UK regarding this mattter, they have carefully used there words, “it is Rolex recommendation that AD’s hold on to warranty cards” I believe the word recommendation is used for legal reasons,

Please note your contract is with Goldsmiths not Rolex, first point would be to take legal advice, most Solicitor regarding consumer law do not charge for the first appointment,

If you are ssriously about fighting this I would set up a crowd funding page to see if others would contribute to any cost, I am more than happy to send money once a page is set up.
Really? Over them keeping your card for a year??

Good way to make sure you never get another watch from them.....

Wear and enjoy the watch for a year and wander back and collect your card....I don’t get the fuss.
Old 14 August 2018, 05:06 AM   #137
Rogrmo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
Really? Over them keeping your card for a year??

Good way to make sure you never get another watch from them.....

Wear and enjoy the watch for a year and wander back and collect your card....I don’t get the fuss.
Rubbish: Do you think Aurum Group Ltd would ban you from buying from there stores due legal action against them breaking consumer law, the papers would be all over it, plus Rolex would not like there brand dragged through court or the papers, I believe if any thing it would have the opposite effect.
Old 14 August 2018, 05:12 AM   #138
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Rubbish: Do you think Aurum Group Ltd would ban you from buying from there stores due legal action against them breaking consumer law, the papers would be all over it, plus Rolex would not like there brand dragged through court or the papers, I believe if any thing it would have the opposite effect.
Hardly breaking consumer law. I’m pretty sure Aurum have their own lawyers. Plus the wording and agreement are set out by Rolex....and I’m certain Rolex legal team would have had to approve the wording, should the AD wish to use it.

It’s not a big deal, just not worth all the fuss, but that’s just my opinion.

On the first point, they may not ban you, but if you think you’ll get any desirable steel sports pieces after causing a fuss, I’d say you definitely won’t.
Old 14 August 2018, 05:20 AM   #139
Burlington
"TRF" Member

What did the letter say ?

From a legal perspective if it was all explained up front (terms of sale) and you agreed to said terms and proceeded then it’s probably not a battle you would win.

That said, it’s not a sales practice i like by any means but don’t think there is anything legally against it (and you can bet Rolex/the AD in question will have exceptional legal counsel checking this.)

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 14 August 2018, 05:24 AM   #140
normalboywatches
Banned

If you don’t want them to keep your card then don’t buy the watch. I really don’t see what the problem is, unless you are a flipper, and maybe there are quite a few on this forum. As long as the dealer tells you before any money changes hands, you can’t possibly have a problem with it. They are of course under no obligation to sell it to you, just as you are under no obligation to buy it from them. They are doing this for the right reasons (to stop the grey market and from flippers keeping the watches out of TRUE customers hands), and they are under instruction from Rolex UK.

All those saying “if I pay something I want the full package blah blah blah” well GUESS WHAT, you don’t actually HAVE to buy it from that AD! They haven’t lied to you, haven’t defrauded you out of keeping that little credit card sized bit of plastic and they certainly haven’t stolen your money out of your pocket. Go find it from another AD who wont keep the warranty card if you hate it that much (good luck with that...).

So stop throwing your toys out of your pram and stop having sissy fits. It’s just how it is. Don’t like it? Go buy a Tissot.
Old 14 August 2018, 05:33 AM   #141
Rogrmo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
Hardly breaking consumer law. I’m pretty sure Aurum have their own lawyers. Plus the wording and agreement are set out by Rolex....and I’m certain Rolex legal team would have had to approve the wording, should the AD wish to use it.

It’s not a big deal, just not worth all the fuss, but that’s just my opinion.

On the first point, they may not ban you, but if you think you’ll get any desirable steel sports pieces after causing a fuss, I’d say you definitely won’t.
Please note I have done a lot of work on this matter, as confirmed by Rolex (Graig Charnock) keeping the warranty cards is the starting point. Next will be one SS model per customer per time scale, no time scale had been confirmed by Rolex, you say it is not a big deal for Goldsmiths keeping the wattenty card, please note if Goldsmiths go into administration you will not get the warranty card back, and Rolex also confirmed no replacment warranty card will be issued, NO WARRENTY CARD THE VALUE OF THE WATCH WILL ONLY GO DOWN IN VALUE.

Regarding baning you, if you took your complaint to the CEO of Aurum Ltd (Mr Brian Duffy) he would confirm that your complaint would not hamper any future purchase at Aurum Group Ltd, (oppisite effect)
Old 14 August 2018, 05:36 AM   #142
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I got mine in the US a week ago from an AD and I received my "credit card" warranty no problem..
Old 14 August 2018, 05:39 AM   #143
normalboywatches
Banned

Quote:
Please note I have done a lot of work on this matter, as confirmed by Rolex (Graig Charnock) keeping the warranty cards is the starting point. Next will be one SS model per customer per time scale, no time scale had been confirmed by Rolex, you say it is not a big deal for Goldsmiths keeping the wattenty card, please note if Goldsmiths go into administration you will not get the warranty card back, and Rolex also confirmed no replacment warranty card will be issued, NO WARRENTY CARD THE VALUE OF THE WATCH WILL ONLY GO DOWN IN VALUE.

Regarding baning you, if you took your complaint to the CEO of Aurum Ltd (Mr Brian Duffy) he would confirm that your complaint would not hamper any future purchase at Aurum Group Ltd, (oppisite effect)

Do you really have nothing better to do with your time...

And of course the CEO said it wouldn't hamper you from buying other pieces... You really believe that?
Old 14 August 2018, 05:41 AM   #144
exador
Banned

Quote:
Care to publish it?
Old 14 August 2018, 05:49 AM   #145
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I’m sure Brian Duffy would confirm it would not hamper any future purchases.....but the reality is you’ll never get a waiting list model again. That I am 100% certain. They’ll just find excuses that you’re not top of the list yet etc.

I have a really good relationship with my AD and like to work with them rather than fight against them.

However if you wish to put all this effort into getting a warranty card then good on you. My AD doesn’t hold my warranty cards, but if it started to do it, I’d understand and be fine with it.

First world problems.
Old 14 August 2018, 05:51 AM   #146
watchbowl
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thank you.

Did you try and flip it and get offered below retail?

Old 14 August 2018, 05:52 AM   #147
Rogrmo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by normalboywatches View Post

And of course the CEO said it wouldn't hamper you from buying other pieces... You really believe that?
1 Yes I would believe a CEO of a company, it would look very unprofessional to confirm to staff below him to ban customers.

2. You can’t get SS models anyway.

3. Aurum Group will be sold within the next 5 years (confirmed) and the big question will be will Rolex let the new owner(s) sell the Rolex brand.
Old 14 August 2018, 05:52 AM   #148
Oscarpapa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by normalboywatches View Post

This.
Old 14 August 2018, 05:55 AM   #149
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
1 Yes I would believe a CEO of a company, it would look very unprofessional to confirm to staff below him to ban customers.

2. You can’t get SS models anyway.

3. Aurum Group will be sold within the next 5 years (confirmed) and the big question will be will Rolex let the new owner(s) sell the Rolex brand.
Point 2.... YOU can’t get SS models..... us who work on good relationships with our ADs CAN get SS models. I’ve had some lovely pieces from Aurum due to relationship. Lists don’t exist now really, ADs sell the best pieces to the customers they like the best.
Old 14 August 2018, 06:08 AM   #150
mulgogy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollies
I heard next year they will be holding watches for a year, you get the warranty card at time of purchase.
Closed Thread