The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Closed Thread

Old 18 February 2012, 05:26 PM   #61
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
I usually leave mine crown up at night to scrub off a second or two. I like to think its intimidated back into shape by the night stand UZI but it could be by chance......Or physics. We may never know!
Old 18 February 2012, 11:01 PM   #62
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT360 View Post
Hello,

I am brand new to the forum, and am/was very excited to be purchasing my first Rolex next week (a submariner).
This post has me nervous and perplexed.
According to these posts, my watch will not be keeping accurate time??????

That bums me out.

I would appreciate any elaboration that would ease my mind, as I have been saving up for a long time to make this purchase.

Thanks in advance.
No purely mechanical watch any brand any price will keep 100% perfect time there will be almost daily tiny deviations.Rolex is a COSC tested chronometer all this means that the bare uncased movement has been tested.And on the test the movement performed to a AVERAGE of between - 4 to + 6 seconds over a 24 hour period.So a Rolex is at the bottom of the scale at least 99.994% accurate not bad considering there are 86400 seconds in a day.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 19 February 2012, 10:12 AM   #63
dmauldin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN & 16030
Mine is always on my wrist, and my wife often complains that the awesome, bright, blue lume is 'shining in her face.' Ha! She doesn't appreciate the sweet lume as much as I do!
Old 30 June 2018, 08:49 PM   #64
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2008 Submariner
Icon20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ck8 View Post
There is advice from Rolex somewhere on this forum that has suggestive positions. But my GMT IIc reacts different to the suggestive positions. When I have crown up or down it loses whenthese positions should gain. When laid flat face up it does not loose or gain when it should lose time.

So what I suggest to try various positions to monitor which is suitable to your requirement.
I agree with the caller above. Rolex watches prob vary by position.

my NEW Rolex Explorer 1 MK2 (bought 4 days ago now) gains 1 sec per day. It always seemed like most of the 1 sec gain came at night when the watch was laying flat, face up. so, the 3rd night (last night) i placed it crown down on a cloth and it is now the same 2 sec fast (from 2 days) as when I went to bed (thus gained or lst 0 secs in that 24 hour period of the 3rd day). this position at night will make my 1 sec per day Rolex even more accurate, amazing.

i have not experimented with other positions like crown up, but I will do so after a few nights once i establish for certain that crown down keeps it the same (for my watch), no gain or loss.

+1 sec per day was amazing to begin with. if i can lessen that even more, so much more the better.

Scott, 1st time rolex owner
Old 30 June 2018, 09:07 PM   #65
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

Icon20

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
So a Rolex is at the bottom of the scale at least 99.994% accurate not bad considering there are 86400 seconds in a day.
my explorer MK2 is a SUPERLATIVE chronometer and extra testing is done after cased (i know you know this, just bragging). it is thus +2/-2 per day. mine comes out to +1, but if I rest crown down at night, it stays perfect, at least so far after 4 days. i can deal with 0 sec deviation.

does anyone have an opinion if it will begin running differently after it runs for awhile, it is only 4 days old. my Omega Seamaster professional went from + to - sev seconds per day after a few months.
Old 2 July 2018, 08:21 PM   #66
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

Update on my explorer 1 MK2 after having for 5 days:

she is only +2 secs. she was gaining about 1 sec per day (maybe only 3/4 sec, hard to tell sometimes) and i began placing her crown UP at night. she is either staying the same OR losing time in this position, maybe 1/2 to 3/4 sec in 7 hours.

so, she is amazingly accurate after 5 days bec she should be +10-/-10 secs per the superlative chronometer standards and is +2.

it seems many people sell this watch after owning for awhile. maybe it becomes boring? she is very simple, no date or anything. i like her simplicity. after 5 days, no one has ID'd her as a rolex or asked me anything. she flies under the radar. i sort of like that.
Old 2 July 2018, 09:02 PM   #67
SearChart
TechXpert

Never cared about the accuracy of my watches, never will, I just wear them.
Old 2 July 2018, 09:11 PM   #68
keepitsimple
"TRF" Member

Watch: Junghans Meister
Best answer is to get the watch put on a timing machine, and record all the positions. You can then choose depending on how it has run during the day.(if you have no machine, but a lot of patience, you can of course, do it the long way round.....)

my Explorer I runs at:-

DU 0
6H +3
9H -3
12H -3 (not a COSC position)
3H -1
DD 0

In real life when worn, it tends to be within 0 and +1 per day depending on what I'm doing.

I don't think the old Rolex recommendation about positions applies to modern free sprung movements.
Old 16 July 2018, 11:13 AM   #69
El Cascarrabias
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB
Crown down keeps it from running fast overnight.

It works.

You really need to be, not seem to be.

Old 16 July 2018, 11:31 AM   #70
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

what position do you leave it in to speed it up?
Old 16 July 2018, 11:34 AM   #71
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

Icon20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Never cared about the accuracy of my watches, never will, I just wear them.
wow, i can't understand this at all. lol. caring about accuracy and tracking it is most of the fun. d
Old 16 July 2018, 11:37 AM   #72
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

Icon20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistinctiveTime View Post
Can you tell me how you can accurately gauge that a watch has lost or gained 1 or 2 seconds a day ?
set watch by atomic clock to the exact second (use app like exact time), check again in 24 hours against atomic clock. not rocket science.
Old 16 July 2018, 11:40 AM   #73
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1@160@alltimes View Post
I don't care about +.001 -.002 second deviations. If the watch ever comes off my wrist, I leave it dial up.
+.001 or -.001 deviations must be measured! OMG
Old 18 July 2018, 06:59 AM   #74
Hatch62
"TRF" Member

Watch: S.D. 43, Sub LVc
So far I found facing down to be the most productive and likely to keep more accurate time on my 3135 movement.
Closed Thread