The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 20 July 2018, 04:28 AM   #91
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I really don't see why anyone (at least anyone not intending to immediately flip) would care about this.

First, what are the odds you will need to use the warranty in the first year? Virtually none. Second, do you really think you wouldn't be able to use the warranty if on the small chance you actually had an issue with the watch in the first year?

Who care about the stupid warranty card the first year.
Old 20 July 2018, 04:41 AM   #92
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
I really don't see why anyone (at least anyone not intending to immediately flip) would care about this.

First, what are the odds you will need to use the warranty in the first year? Virtually none. Second, do you really think you wouldn't be able to use the warranty if on the small chance you actually had an issue with the watch in the first year?

Who care about the stupid warranty card the first year.
See Rolex's own words in post #85. Absent the card, I have been sold a promise.
Old 20 July 2018, 04:49 AM   #93
rolexinfl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finslayer83 View Post
lol what.

I get Van Winkle every year and have never seen this done.
Me too, and it's never happened to me.

It's not a 'directive' thing...but store owners have done it.
Old 20 July 2018, 05:01 AM   #94
DARK_KNIGHT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
This doesn't really hurt gray dealers. It only hurts individuals who buy 1 or 2 to flip quickly. Gray dealers aren't buying their watches over an AD counter.

What is the provenance of the watches, grey´s are selling then
?

Quote:
Do any gray watches come with papers? Buying from a place like Joma or AuthenticWatches never come with proper AD papers; just their own warranty card.
I have bought grey , and have all corresponding documentation , and accessories. Dated and stamped too. I put my own name on the card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMay View Post
rolex should rip up and discontinued the warranty card. It's so meaningless.

Rolex loves to create drama for some reason
Drama is money. Money is power.
Old 20 July 2018, 05:05 AM   #95
Charlie don’t surf
"TRF" Member

I've purchased two SS sport models in the past 30 days as a new customer from the same AD. No issues with AD wanting to hold paperwork. Though I made it a point to say that I had no problem if they did before transaction was executed. That seemed to ease any question if I was going to flip it or not.
Old 20 July 2018, 05:19 AM   #96
Tebow15
Banned

What if they go out of business before year ends???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20 July 2018, 05:22 AM   #97
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
We are raking over old ground here.

It’s becoming the norm (David m Robinson are doing it too). It’s quite simple. If you intend to keep the watch it’s no issue. You will get your card after 12 months. To receive a hot piece, I think it’s a price worth paying. What I would be interested to know is why anyone who has no intention of flipping the watch has a problem with, as this practice will more likely make it easier to get the next one as the flippers are weeded out.

Interestingly it seems to be working a bit. To my knowledge watchfinder have not had a new BLRO, when they had a blue sky dweller on day of release.
Old 20 July 2018, 05:23 AM   #98
Cheapside Genie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeYourTime View Post
I would under no circumstances by a Rolex without getting the papers! It's different from AD to AD and if all "have" to do it I will switch to Patek and Lange
I do hope Rolex survives...
♛ 226627 Titanium YM, 126518LN YG Daytona, 116500LN Daytona Black, 116519LN WG Daytona Silver/Black Dial, 126600 Mk 1 SD50, 126711CHNR GMT II, 126710BLRO GMT II Oyster bracelet, 124060 Submariner, 214270 Explorer I Mk 2, 126334 Datejust Mint Green Jubilee
Old 20 July 2018, 05:28 AM   #99
T01
"TRF" Member

Would never buy and not leave with papers, at least IMO.
Old 20 July 2018, 06:12 AM   #100
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrp813 View Post
Straight from Rolex... A warranty card will be placed inside the box “at the moment of purchase”.

I hate to be a pedantic ar$e, but that’s not what it says. It states that only an AD can do it. It also provides for an AD not doing it.

Nor does it say the card is part of the items purchased.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Old 20 July 2018, 06:13 AM   #101
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
i would tell them they need to keep it in a safe deposit box and let me know the location.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 20 July 2018, 06:15 AM   #102
watchbowl
"TRF" Member

Any UK members who refuse to take a blue sky or blro without a card please point me in the direction of your AD, I’ll gladly have it!
Old 20 July 2018, 06:19 AM   #103
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
you dont have to buy the watch and they don't have to sell it to you if they have one. Thats the deal at a lot of places otherwise they keep it and sell it to someone else instead.
Spot on.

I’d be careful to be too vocal about it or they could go cold and not sell to you at all.
Old 20 July 2018, 06:21 AM   #104
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Heck, I would prob hand over the wife for 1 year if it got me a white dial Daytona C at MSRP...

My AD can hold the box, papers, etc... for 10 years and I wouldn't care. Just let me walk out of the dealership with the watch.
Old 20 July 2018, 06:25 AM   #105
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
See Rolex's own words in post #85. Absent the card, I have been sold a promise.
That screenshot doe snot say the warranty card will be given at time of purcahse, but ok....you guys are obsessing on nonsense.
Old 20 July 2018, 06:30 AM   #106
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebow15 View Post
What if they go out of business before year ends???

They call you up and give you the card early....they’d not close up with loads of warranty cards in their safe.

Worst case you’d have a photocopy and I’m sure given the situation, Rolex would replace the card.

Zero drama.
Old 20 July 2018, 08:30 AM   #107
Tebow15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
They call you up and give you the card early....they’d not close up with loads of warranty cards in their safe.

Worst case you’d have a photocopy and I’m sure given the situation, Rolex would replace the card.

Zero drama.

Let’s hope, but businesses going under usually don’t care about much besides cutting losses at that point.

Old 20 July 2018, 08:39 AM   #108
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
This doesn't really hurt gray dealers. It only hurts individuals who buy 1 or 2 to flip quickly. Gray dealers aren't buying their watches over an AD counter.
Sure they are. Many if not all grey dealers have AD "friends." Were do you think their watches come from?
Old 20 July 2018, 10:36 AM   #109
turborolex
"TRF" Member

IMG_1424.JPG

This was posted by another member a while back

Old 20 July 2018, 11:41 AM   #110
uhren917
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
ADs trying to limit flippers is laughable. They are part of the problem.

Govberg is selling a "used" BLRO for 23 big ones. I would post a link, but please go check it for yourselves. All these little, silly steps like keeping a warranty card is all show and are a complete JOKE.
Old 20 July 2018, 12:01 PM   #111
rexG
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Won't fix the problem.....only make it worse. Are we to assume the ADs who sell these watches to the Greys will now sell them and hold the papers? Which ones will risk that cash flow? I see this "policy" making things worse. Now, there will be another premium for a new watch with papers......on top of the existing premiums.
116619LB SMURF
Old 20 July 2018, 12:41 PM   #112
rexG
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by turborolex View Post
Attachment 968719

This was posted by another member a while back

They only "recommend" .......so whats all the fuss about?
116619LB SMURF
Old 20 July 2018, 02:27 PM   #113
D O C
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710LN
Doesn't matter what your intentions are. "Oh I don't intend to flip the watch. I'm going to wear it forever."

What happens if you fall out of love with your new watch after a month or two and you want to sell it. It should be your prerogative to do that and not be held hostage by some AD because they have your warranty card. Now you can't sell it at full worth because you don't possess the full set right?

That being said, I say screw the AD. Go somewhere else if you have to go the AD route. That's why I don't deal with ADs.

Old 20 July 2018, 02:36 PM   #114
doctorstrange
Banned

actually I want this policy to be carried out by all ADs in hong Kong. it's better than the ADs selling all their ss sport watches to the grey dealers themselves.
Old 20 July 2018, 08:42 PM   #115
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
The choice ADs have at the moment is bundle or withhold. Withhold is much better for the genuine customer, esp as Rolex approve of this policy and probably suggested it, and will have systems in place with ADs so no legitimate buyer is not covered.
Old 20 July 2018, 08:45 PM   #116
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by D O C View Post
Doesn't matter what your intentions are. "Oh I don't intend to flip the watch. I'm going to wear it forever."

What happens if you fall out of love with your new watch after a month or two and you want to sell it. It should be your prerogative to do that and not be held hostage by some AD because they have your warranty card. Now you can't sell it at full worth because you don't possess the full set right?

That being said, I say screw the AD. Go somewhere else if you have to go the AD route. That's why I don't deal with ADs.
Flippers and now one month later flippers are the ones Rolex want out of the market. Demand is so high now that the flipper tag has to be extended to those wishy washy types as well. They only want customers who will commit for one year and they have more than enough of those, so they are the priority.

There is still a doubt that the withhold will work as greys will circumvent this if it becomes the norm with slightly lower prices, so then bundling will be the only option, which is far more costly and causes another selling headache.
Old 20 July 2018, 08:55 PM   #117
ragsk
Banned

I dont mind and supoort them witholding the guarantee card. But the policy is being inconsistently applied. I have recently bought three rolexes in Europe and the dealers involved havent even mentioned it and have just given me everything. For example im currently on holiday in greece and this week walked into an AD here and bought a Sub Date - the dealer didnt even bother taking the stickers off. As it was a present for my nephew I had to ask him to do it! He even said they dont out a name on he warranty card....
Old 20 July 2018, 08:59 PM   #118
outtatime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
The choice ADs have at the moment is bundle or withhold. Withhold is much better for the genuine customer, esp as Rolex approve of this policy and probably suggested it, and will have systems in place with ADs so no legitimate buyer is not covered.
It’s better for me (the customer) if the AD does not give me everything that belongs to me when I pay for it?

Sorry but to me that’s just more toe-the-line Rolex zealotry to me. I don’t work for Rolex and don’t owe them anything.

If an AD did this to me I would not buy from them, “hot piece” or not.

If it’s only “encouraged” then the answer to this problem is simple: stop buying from these shady dealers and they’ll get the point eventually.

Scratches ≠ "Character"
Old 20 July 2018, 09:03 PM   #119
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by outtatime View Post
It’s better for me (the customer) if the AD does not give me everything that belongs to me when I pay for it?

Sorry but to me that’s just more toe-the-line Rolex zealotry to me. I don’t work for Rolex and don’t owe them anything.

If an AD did this to me I would not buy from them, “hot piece” or not.

If it’s only “encouraged” then the answer to this problem is simple: stop buying from these shady dealers and they’ll get the point eventually.

Its better than not getting the watch as they are all being flipped / gone to greys and sold at a premium to msrp.....

I also dont think ADs who are following Rolexs recommendation should be classified as “shady”. They have zero benefit from doing this, just adminisitrative headache.

The point being is I would rather buy the watch - if the AD keeping the card for a year increases my probability of buyng a sports SS Rolex at the official price then im all for it.

Maybe it works maybe it doesnt. At least Rolex are trying. it seems like some guys on this thread would rather they hunt harder for the watch itself / pay a premium to a grey dealer and “possess” a plastic card for 12 months.
Old 20 July 2018, 09:08 PM   #120
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
I think all Aurum group dealers are doing this in the UK , to clients they don't know , I think if you are known to the Staff there is some flexibility and gentlemen agreements in place , I don't have a problem with it but I don't really flip watches either . I realise you can't always keep them all , But if it stops the greys then great .
Closed Thread