The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 July 2018, 06:14 AM   #1
Charlie don’t surf
"TRF" Member

Seeking Advice - DD40 Platinum 228206 AD vs Grey Market

Gentlemen -

I am new to the forum and have found it incredibly knowledgeable and useful as I ease back into the Rolex market. Admittingly I'm "that guy" who has worn the same sub for 20 years and finally decided it's time for a change.

Though I have been fortunate enough to pick up a couple of nice stainless pieces over the past few months from a local AD (JC Deep Sea & BLNR), the holy grail to me is a DD 40 Platinum / 228206 (I realize quite a jump). Though my local AD does not have one in stock and said it could be sometime till they receive, I have seen other AD's with them in stock that I do not have a relationship with. My question to the group is if AD's will typically negotiate on these higher end PM models? MSRP comes in @ 62.5k from what I have seen. Same piece used / "mint condition" can be found on the grey markets for low to mid 40's. However I'm somewhat hesitant to purchase with no official factory warranty being attached.

Please let me know your thoughts on the above. Any guidance or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Best Regards -
Charlie don’t surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 06:24 AM   #2
yuk0nxl1
"TRF" Member

I would definitely try luck at a few ADs before looking GM. Sometimes they will surprise you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yuk0nxl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 06:26 AM   #3
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie don’t surf View Post
Gentlemen -

I am new to the forum and have found it incredibly knowledgeable and useful as I ease back into the Rolex market. Admittingly I'm "that guy" who has worn the same sub for 20 years and finally decided it's time for a change.

Though I have been fortunate enough to pick up a couple of nice stainless pieces over the past few months from a local AD (JC Deep Sea & BLNR), the holy grail to me is a DD 40 Platinum / 228206 (I realize quite a jump). Though my local AD does not have one in stock and said it could be sometime till they receive, I have seen other AD's with them in stock that I do not have a relationship with. My question to the group is if AD's will typically negotiate on these higher end PM models? MSRP comes in @ 62.5k from what I have seen. Same piece used / "mint condition" can be found on the grey markets for low to mid 40's. However I'm somewhat hesitant to purchase with no official factory warranty being attached.

Please let me know your thoughts on the above. Any guidance or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Best Regards -
who says it has no warranty? contact the GM seller an inquire. most do come with warranty (either intact or remaining).

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 06:35 AM   #4
horonet17
"TRF" Member

The watch from a grey seller would come with the official Rolex warranty.

See what you can negotiate with your AD and then decide which route makes more sense -- generally with PM models ADs can't come close to greys, unfortunately.
horonet17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 06:41 AM   #5
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
who says it has no warranty? contact the GM seller an inquire. most do come with warranty (either intact or remaining).
In the US, a gray market rolex will not be serviced under warranty by Rolex US. This all got hashed out a year or two back. Of course, we can disagree with the policy, but it is what it is.

The grey market seller will likely lie or sidestep if you ask.

For OP, a Rolex servicing by an excellent watchmaker is likely to run about $1,000, say $2,000 if something weird happens.

So, if you save more than that, and you will, then you got a good deal by going grey.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 06:47 AM   #6
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
In the US, a gray market rolex will not be serviced under warranty by Rolex US. This all got hashed out a year or two back. Of course, we can disagree with the policy, but it is what it is.

For OP, a Rolex servicing by an excellent watchmaker is likely to run about $1,000, say $2,000 if something weird happens.

So, if you save more than that, and you will, then you got a good deal by going grey.
disagree, respectfully.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 06:53 AM   #7
shirtguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub-c Date
IF this is your grail, go with ad

you can negotiate with a pm dd
shirtguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 07:16 AM   #8
DubaiRolex2000
"TRF" Member

Dubai gave me 16% off on PM DD (I cant afford one, was just asking them), but I was expecting more. Surely they should give you 20-25% off given they make 40% on a watch.

Imo if its a lifelong watch, go with AD, it will make it special. Otherwise buy second hand, you can save a lot!
DubaiRolex2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 07:40 AM   #9
Gravity
"TRF" Member

You have to realize the distinct difference between "Grey Market" and "Verified & Trusted Grey Market". IMO the latter is pretty hard to pass up. I have probably bought over 40 higher end time pieces to date and not once have I had the patience or could ignore the savings by dealing with trusted re-sellers. I have saved well over six figures off of retail, not even taking into account the tax savings, and have never once had any issues with quality or warranty. I mean we are talking about a Rolex here, not a laptop or a washer dryer. Odds are if you do have any issues, it will be long after the warranty has expired anyway.

I just purchased a brand new RG DD last month from a great seller here. Had it in two days and saved over $13k off of retail including tax and never had to leave the house. I can't imagine acquiring any other way. All the years people dealing w obscene wait times, lists, who's first, what dealer has what. To each there own but my money and time is just much too valuable to play that game.

If you would like a few terrific seller recommends here, feel free to PM or just ask any veteran member here. Either way good luck in your search! DD is quite a piece.
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 07:44 AM   #10
j210m
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
If they can't give you 20% off, DavidSW has one just under 50k https://davidsw.com/product/rolex-22...al-motif-dial/
j210m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 08:17 AM   #11
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
I have first hand experience to the contrary. Bought a 10/15 dated platinum Daytona from a well known gray. Had a small problem with the chrono. Walked it into Beverly Hills RSC when on vaca in L.A. Got it serviced under warrantee and returned to me 16 days later. No charge, obviously.
Old 20 July 2018, 08:19 AM   #12
Lemonvr6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
I have first hand experience to the contrary. Bought a 10/15 dated platinum Daytona from a well known gray. Had a small problem with the chrono. Walked it into Beverly Hills RSC when on vaca in L.A. Got it serviced under warrantee and returned to me 16 days later. No charge, obviously.

Same. I had warranty work done on my gray 114060 and it was honored with an international card with my name on it.
Old 20 July 2018, 09:38 AM   #13
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Most greys, esp the ones on this forum, will have valid warranties so no issue there, so best to buy an unworn one from there at a healthy discount.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 09:56 AM   #14
Charlie don’t surf
"TRF" Member

GREATLY appreciate and thank everyone for sharing the sage advice. You guys are the best
Charlie don’t surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 10:40 AM   #15
DARK_KNIGHT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity View Post

You have to realize the distinct difference between "Grey Market" and "Verified & Trusted Grey Market". IMO the latter is pretty hard to pass up. I have probably bought over 40 higher end time pieces to date and not once have I had the patience or could ignore the savings by dealing with trusted re-sellers. I have saved well over six figures off of retail, not even taking into account the tax savings, and have never once had any issues with quality or warranty.
I am confused. You do or do not?

To the OP. I like to save money when I buy something. I hate buying something at X price and then finding it even $1 cheaper somewhere else. I am OCD that way.
Old 20 July 2018, 10:42 AM   #16
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

try and see what you can get at an AD and if its close to grey then buy at an AD (assuming you want new or the difference vs a mint pre-owned isn't that much), otherwise, go with a trusted seller
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 11:17 AM   #17
Jace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DD 40
I have some experience with this subject

The platinum day date is very expensive and is going to depreciate in value at retail once you walk out the door. Let’s face it, not many people are willing to spend this much money on a watch much less a Rolex. No flames here. I have one on my wrist.

I, like one of the other posters, have bought dozens and dozens of watches of all grades from grey dealers that I trust. I have no issues with it whatsoever. I also have no issues with the preowned watch. I want the best deal. I looked for quite a while for my platinum Rolex and I found it in the pre-owned section of an authorized Rolex dealer. It has been fully serviced and repolished by Rolex. In the original box with papers and warranty. For $20,000 off retail.

In regards to warranty, these are not stolen watches. They are usually bought from international and occasionally domestic authorized dealers at a discount and have intact warranty cards. I have rarely had to use the warrantees but when I have they have always been honored. And truthfully, Rolex is a really easy watch to have work done. If you were buying an AP perpetual calendar, this would be a different conversation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 11:51 AM   #18
arturob
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT2 BLNR
davidsw is your man!
arturob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 12:10 PM   #19
fixinbones
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118206
You should be able to get 25% off retail.
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 12:11 PM   #20
CrazyMD
"TRF" Member

I’d recommend contacting Takuya. Bought so many watches from him. Always A+ service and a great deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CrazyMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 01:20 PM   #21
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
Quote:
This is simply just not true.
Any of our long time trusted sellers (i.e. David, Tony, Thanh, etc.) on this forum will take extremely good care of you.
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 01:32 PM   #22
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK_KNIGHT View Post
I am confused. You do or do not?

To the OP. I like to save money when I buy something. I hate buying something at X price and then finding it even $1 cheaper somewhere else. I am OCD that way.

I should have rephrased...."Not once have I had the patience to deal with an AD", I think most got the point, especially the OP. :)
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 01:56 PM   #23
D O C
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710LN
Give DavidSW a call. I bet he can get whatever you want at a significant discount.

You save $15-20K by not paying retail. Worst case scenario, say you do have to have it serviced early or there's a defect and you are responsible for any replacement part. With the money you're saving you're still ahead of the game. Its Win-Win.

D O C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 02:12 PM   #24
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In the US, a gray market rolex will not be serviced under warranty by Rolex US.
An activated warranty will be serviced no matter where you bought it. If it doesn't have an activated Rolex warranty, of course you can't get work done under warranty, but that's reflected in the price. Even the GM sellers who don't generally include an active Rolex warranty can usually get you one if you're willing to pay a little extra for it.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 02:35 PM   #25
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

What was hashed out? In the US, if the watch has a completely filled out and valid warranty card, RUSA will service the watch under warranty. The warranty follows the watch and not the purchaser. You can be owner # 10 and if its under the current 5 years from the date written and filled out by the selling AD, RUSA will service the watch. Obviously its a different story if you have no valid card.

Don't believe me? Give Rolex Dallas a call tomorrow and ask them.
jonnyz1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 02:41 PM   #26
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingbear View Post
This is simply just not true.
Any of our long time trusted sellers (i.e. David, Tony, Thanh, etc.) on this forum will take extremely good care of you.
This On some watches they even provide cards with your name on them. Not sure why people try and spread incorrect information.
jonnyz1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 04:21 PM   #27
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity View Post

Beautiful shot of your RG DD. That's my favorite configuration for that watch. Someday...a boy can dream!
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 04:29 PM   #28
rominvicta
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, BLNR, SM, GM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie don’t surf View Post
Gentlemen -

Best Regards -
If I were you I would have stayed loyal to the AD that gave me opportunity to get SS. I would buy from that AD, not from any other and negotiate 15-20% discount, plus a delivery of 116500 or 326984 at retail within three months after purchase of DD.
And in this way i would get flashy new DD at almost same price like second hand , improve relationship with AD and get a SS that is rare.
rominvicta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 08:18 PM   #29
wristmatic
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
if you buy the day date 40 platinum from an AD. will definitely be bump up on the waiting list the ceramic daytona, pepsi gmt, and blue sky dweller.
wristmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 08:27 PM   #30
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Great choice for your next one,
If your concern is warranty go for the best deal.
Any warranty job will hardly cost more than a couple of hundreds, why the worry ?
Most AD's will not match the grey prices so one of the well known trusted sellers is probably your best bet, but given your history I would talk hard numbers with the AD before going grey.

Grey dealers will deliver this model fully stickered and your name on the card I have no doubt, just as new as from an AD.