The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 6 July 2018, 05:28 AM   #1
JWC76
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Planet Ocean 2500 Ref 2209.50.00

Seeking some advice. I bought this PO from an AD back in 2007. I was my main watch for the first two or three years and then set in my watch winder. I am considering putting it up for sale and was wondering if I should send it in to be serviced first. If I send it in should I allow them to polish? Most people say no, but from a resale perspective I wonder if it would sale better.

Anyone that has gone through this that has any advice please share. I have considered keeping it in which case I will send it in to Omega for service and polishing.

JWC76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2018, 06:20 AM   #2
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I'd prefer it serviced and looking new. Its a modern watch so a touch up will only make it better.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2018, 09:08 PM   #3
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
I'd prefer it serviced and looking new. Its a modern watch so a touch up will only make it better.
I agree. I think a buyer for that watch is probably going to appreciate one just serviced by Omega, including a professional reconditioning of the case and bracelet. That's a really cool version of the PO, and after a refresh from Omega it should sell in a heartbeat. If I were you, I would have it serviced and then keep it!

My advice for servicing: phone Omega Customer Service via the toll-free number on Omega's web site, tell them you will pack and mail the watch yourself, and you would like their assistance addressing the package to their Service Center in Seattle, WA. I believe they will then email a shipping label to you (I could be wrong). Omega has three or four Service Centers in the US, and all are good, but the Seattle center may still be just a bit better for quality and consistency.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2018, 09:27 PM   #4
JWC76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
I agree. I think a buyer for that watch is probably going to appreciate one just serviced by Omega, including a professional reconditioning of the case and bracelet. That's a really cool version of the PO, and after a refresh from Omega it should sell in a heartbeat. If I were you, I would have it serviced and then keep it!

My advice for servicing: phone Omega Customer Service via the toll-free number on Omega's web site, tell them you will pack and mail the watch yourself, and you would like their assistance addressing the package to their Service Center in Seattle, WA. I believe they will then email a shipping label to you (I could be wrong). Omega has three or four Service Centers in the US, and all are good, but the Seattle center may still be just a bit better for quality and consistency.

Thank you both for the responses. You confirmed what I already suspected. I will follow your advice and contact omega directly. Last time I had an omega serviced (wife’s aqua terra) the AD charged a premium and then did not send it to a real omega service center. They did a crap job that resulted in having the watch sent out twice. I finally gave up and had my local watch maker fix hers.
Old 7 July 2018, 01:57 AM   #5
JWC76
"TRF" Member

I called Omega this morning and they are sending me a box to ship the watch in for service. I did request the Seattle Service center, but I was told that Seattle only takes watches sent in via a Omega Boutique. So I opted to send it to New Jersey Omega Service center.
Old 7 July 2018, 05:33 AM   #6
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWC76 View Post
I called Omega this morning and they are sending me a box to ship the watch in for service. I did request the Seattle Service center, but I was told that Seattle only takes watches sent in via a Omega Boutique. So I opted to send it to New Jersey Omega Service center.
Ah, thanks for sharing this info. I think the Seattle center has been gradually transforming to become an in-house provider to the Boutiques, so I'm not surprised to hear this news. I was fortunate to have a nice, lengthy chat with Omega's head of Customer Service in the USA, and he said that the quality of service from all of the centers is pretty much on par now. He's also the person who explained the planned reorganization of the Seattle center.

I'm sure it will come back looking so good, you might have to think twice before posting it for sale! You know, there isn't an all-orange PO in the catalog any longer...
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 06:19 AM   #7
JWC76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post

I'm sure it will come back looking so good, you might have to think twice before posting it for sale! You know, there isn't an all-orange PO in the catalog any longer...

Yeah I am already thinking about just keeping it :)

I may keep it for myself or gift it to my wife after I get it back from Omega. Thinking of getting the oem black leather deployment strap. I need to call omega back and see if I can source it directly from them.

Hoping to get the box next week and sending it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 7 July 2018, 06:53 AM   #8
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
I have one (black) 45.5 and when the mainspring broke, I had a full service, which included a polish, new hands, both crowns and a new bezel assembly (bezel at my request).

It came back looking brand new, except the scratches in the crystal coating (which is why I didn't bother replacing the crystal). If the crystal was scratched or chipped, I would have done that as well. Work was done at the Jew Jersey service center. All edges are sharp, polishing is perfect as is the brushing- perfectly straight as-new. (of course I've worn it since and it's not so perfect now)

I remember when I got it, a lot of other new owners were polishing the coating off the crystal... I found if you wax it, it looks good as new again.

If you plan to sell it, and it hasn't been serviced in 5+ years, it will certainly add to the value and help you sell it.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote