The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 April 2011, 09:03 AM   #61
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
daft & envy

you are going to have grass is always greener envy no matter which sub you get. blacki timeless, as you can tell by the appeal they have after all these years.
ive worn a blue tt sub for the last 20 years and ive always looked on w desire when i saw a black one near. (i still think my blue sub is great but it aint black)
the lv is definately hot in person, i havent seen photo do it justice.

my personal solution, i got a 16610LV and ill swap the bezel when i need a change, st of both worlds. fyi i absolutley hated the 16610LV when i first saw it,it took me about a year and all of the sudden i knew it was right.

best of luck , whatever you get just wear it everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatbob View Post
Cheers guys! As i said before, love hearing others' feedback. I'll take my wife in to have a look tomorrow - she knows I like the LV, but still value her opinion. I've only tried the LV on once, so need to check there was definitely more to it - it wasn't just a one night stand!

I know the LN is a classic, and I could wear it every day for years, but will I think it's as cool, when I see 2 other people wearing them in the same meeting? Or equally, will I feel daft wearing a "green" watch at the same meeting - this I seriously doubt, but I'm sure every potential LV buyer occasionally wonders about this... Still, my view is that it's all about confidence anyway, and it's obviously not for everyone, and totally respect anyone who prefers the LN - hell, I can't 100% guarantee I won't decide on the day that I want the LN!

Can I ask whether the dial changes colour as much throughout the day in different lighting conditions? Does the blackness only come through in bright environments - I've only seen it in a showroom.

Would love to see any other pictures as well! The pictures on Rolex website really don't do it justice!
Old 10 April 2011, 05:26 AM   #62
DiamondJack
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few
If it's likely to be your only Rolex, it's got to be black - no question.

It will go with everything and is a 50 year classic. The green was just a 50 year anniversary thing Rolex have going on. Eg the 24 hr hand on my GMT II is green representing a 50 year old model.

Green is a risk and when spending that amount of your hard earned do you want that......? Unless of course you have green eyes, and often wear green and have relatives linking back to Robin Hood

There seem to be a greater proportion of green subs on eBay and for longer than their black counterparts.

But you need to wear them. And think about wearing it in 10, 20 years time. Fashion fads are a dangerous thing when parting with that sort of cash.

But enjoy whatever you choose....

DJ
Old 11 April 2011, 09:09 PM   #63
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Brighter the light ( sunlight ) the more green it gets, and that gold tone kicks in as well!!!
Old 12 April 2011, 12:52 AM   #64
Expatbob
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Got the LV, got the LV, got the LV.... Love it! Definitely made the right decision! Just need to get the bracelet adjusted and will post some pictures!

Thanks to everyone for their helpful comments and views!
Old 12 April 2011, 01:16 AM   #65
thewatchguy93
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy gold..
LV all the way, I just got mine about 30 minutes ago

Dino

www.thewatchguyofficial.co.uk

Got a GREEN Submariner 116610LV.. Visit the official thread here! http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=179580

Don't forget to visit the Rolex & Attire thread too! http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=215077
Old 14 April 2011, 08:42 AM   #66
757doc001
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN C
I had black 16610 as well as Black GMT IIC with black dial....... Now I have LV C and its by far my favorite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its doesnt match most things you wear but I dont seem to care anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't just make a living, make a difference!
Old 14 April 2011, 11:03 AM   #67
Expatbob
"TRF" Member

It might not match the odd thing, but judging by some of the anti-LV comments, some people seem to think you'll only be able to wear the LV if you go out dressed as a leprechaun! I've yet to put something on, and think, oh, it doesn't really match my watch, I wish I'd bought the LN
Old 14 April 2011, 04:04 PM   #68
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatbob View Post
It might not match the odd thing, but judging by some of the anti-LV comments, some people seem to think you'll only be able to wear the LV if you go out dressed as a leprechaun! I've yet to put something on, and think, oh, it doesn't really match my watch, I wish I'd bought the LN
That's what YOU think...but that's not necessarily what's going through others minds (I kid...I really don't have an opinion one way or the other). Wear what you love and damn all the rest! Cheers
Old 17 April 2011, 01:12 AM   #69
Snowdog
Banned

Watch: 116613LN Sub
lv please
Old 28 April 2011, 01:39 AM   #70
speedo
"TRF" Member

Watch: dj 16234, 116610ln
after some sleepless nights i bought the ln, the reasons were the following:
- it is my only rolex sport model and black is more versatile
- green is just too in your face. you can't help but notice it which is not my intention
- the black came with a nice discount whilst for the green i'd had to pay the original retail price so the difference was just too much.

my wife insisted on buying the green but based on the above i opted for the black and still would love to get the green one day.
Old 4 May 2011, 02:51 AM   #71
petesjag
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedo View Post
after some sleepless nights i bought the ln, the reasons were the following:
- it is my only rolex sport model and black is more versatile
- green is just too in your face. you can't help but notice it which is not my intention
- the black came with a nice discount whilst for the green i'd had to pay the original retail price so the difference was just too much.

my wife insisted on buying the green but based on the above i opted for the black and still would love to get the green one day.
good that you were able to finally make the choice..
Congradulations!
pete: clap:
Old 4 May 2011, 03:14 AM   #72
sonykurniawan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN & 16610LV
I was also having a hard time in choosing LN or LV but ended up with an LN... no regret yet though. But someday I'll get that LV for sure
Old 4 May 2011, 05:04 AM   #73
RRGHOST1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT SubC Blue
Can't remember where i had seen it, but someone said "believe me you do not want to buy a green watch". Glad black was chosen eventually.
Old 5 May 2011, 07:01 PM   #74
Expatbob
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexplorer2 View Post
Can't remember where i had seen it, but someone said "believe me you do not want to buy a green watch". Glad black was chosen eventually.
Do other Rolex models polarise opinion as much as this one? Some people absolutely hate it, and think the idea of wearing a "green watch" to be beyond the pale, and others love it (myself included).

I spent weeks deciding which one to get, knowing full well I could wear the LN every day for the next 20 years, and always be happy with my choice. On the other hand, the LV just had the little something extra - it was different, cool and you certainly won't see as many of them around, which was important to me.

Time will obviously tell whether one day I'll get bored of it (I think that it is the right sentiment - I can't for a second think that I would ever regret buying the LV), but at that point, most of us on here would just buy another one, and rotate it around. Equally, I wouldn't see any issues with resale either - time will tell whether it keeps its value compared to the LNs...

Perhaps the thing that people don't take into account when giving their views on watches is the person's personal characteristics - some people dress conservatively and possibly therefore wear a more conservative watch. Age of the wearer is an important factor, and also perhaps what they do for a living. All in all, I think you have to be a bit more confident to wear the LV, even if for no other reason, than inevitably you'll come across a few people who think you have a ridiculous timepiece on your wrist.

Anyway, gross generalisations aside, the long and short of it is that we all love the watches we've bought and are happy knowing we made the right choice, whatever that was! Just enjoy it - whichever one you get/own, the new SubC is an absolute classic!
Old 8 May 2011, 08:16 AM   #75
nch209
"TRF" Member

Black.... then pop a green or blue ceramic bezel on it! :)

Dont get me wrong, the green is nice, but I like the "old LV" or shark look!
Old 16 May 2011, 01:17 AM   #76
petesjag
"TRF" Member

This post has been around for a while but since i just got my LV-C I wanted to respond..
Whatever you decided to do green or black, you cant go wrong...You can trade it later on if you want to try the other color....
I am really glad with my green ceramic sub. Its 'different from standard' just like I am...and the green goes really well with all attire so far...
Old 16 May 2011, 07:14 PM   #77
Fernandohk
"TRF" Member

Never hesitated for a moment, picked up the LV a few days ago. Go green :)
Old 17 May 2011, 01:08 AM   #78
speedo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petesjag View Post
good that you were able to finally make the choice..
Congradulations!
pete: clap:
it wasn't me asking which one to buy, i just told why i decided the way i did.

instagram: modus_horologicus
Old 17 May 2011, 03:32 AM   #79
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedo View Post

happy wife = happy speedo.... so i think you need a 116610LV soon to make your wife happy
Old 17 May 2011, 05:20 PM   #80
speedo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esm View Post

happy wife = happy speedo.... so i think you need a 116610LV soon to make your wife happy

i guess i wait a bit before asking that "which watch you reckon i should buy?" question.....

instagram: modus_horologicus
Old 18 May 2011, 01:13 PM   #81
mocheen
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
I bought the 16610LV for my son (4yrs old). I know they no longer make it and it is different. He will not be able to purchase one when he is older. He will be receiving all of my watches one day. I also plan to purchase a black dial in case he is not fond of the green. I like the green and I also like the fact that it is different from the black subs. There are several black subs in my office, but I am the only one with the green bezel. If I ever get tired of the green I will swap it out for the black one, but I doubt that day will ever come. I think, that I will have a harder time in the future trying to decide between the white or black Daytona. I think the new 116610LV looks awesome. The pictures do not do it justice. Seeing the watch in person and trying it on is the only way to go. Black does match everything though.
Old 11 June 2011, 01:14 AM   #82
dpkong
"TRF" Member

Watch: it!
green because there are just too many black ones around. i've been eyeing the green one too for some time but i just can't take this polar Exp2 off my wrist.
Old 19 June 2011, 12:01 PM   #83
jay_man2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I have both, but green is my latest, just picked up today.

Old 19 June 2011, 11:58 PM   #84
drockadam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi.
Go for the 116610LN!
Old 22 June 2011, 01:05 AM   #85
Commuter
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS GMT-Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by amvd View Post
hello
I'm new to this forum, I am planning to buy my first rolex as a prize to get my degree in architecture next year.
my choice is submariner, but I have not decided whether black or green, and explained why: this is probably my only Rolex in my life, the dilemma is: buy a classic as the black sub, or something more outstanding and captor of looks like Green sub.
thank you very much for your advice.
Have you made your decision yet? Where I am, the green is harder to find, but I think its likely to stand out more. Good luck,
Old 29 June 2011, 08:34 AM   #86
darkom

Are they going to make the LV next year? I love it, just worried about the a "green watch" maintaining it's resale...
Old 29 June 2011, 12:08 PM   #87
USAF Retired

Watch: Sub
I'm going with Black since it goes with anything and it's look should, repeat should, never go out of style.
Old 11 July 2011, 06:00 PM   #88
ahl2easy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Dream Big, Dare to Fail, Col Vaun
Old 15 July 2011, 02:18 AM   #89
Expatbob
"TRF" Member

My praise of the LV, over the LN, stretches back many posts, but just wanted to add how stunning it looks when swimming! Rooftop pool in LA, sun shimmering on the water, watch moving back and forth under water, dial appears jet black under sapphire crystal, with bezel striking green. Beautiful! Looks even better than catching a cheeky glance in a mirror. Take it swimming!

LV is such a striking piece - owned it for 4 months now, and haven't worn any of my other watches since, and continue to love its individuality. Perfect, original, classic and distinctive all in one!
Old 31 July 2011, 05:04 AM   #90
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Definitely LV, no doubt. It has to be seen in person before one can decide. Personally I think it is the most beautiful stainless Rolex ever made, and it does not look too green, most of the time the dial looks black-ish ... in fact, it changes color all the time, depending on the light. Stunning!
Closed Thread