The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 7 October 2013, 11:52 AM   #61
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Interesting story by the OP, sorry it's not working out. While the Daytona is not a favorite of mine, there are a few iterations that really do 'pop'. It's a watch I'd wear only very occasionally, could not bear seeing it on my wrist on an every day basis. Like having a Porche to go back and forth to the train station.
Old 7 October 2013, 12:44 PM   #62
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
I owned the Black (Zenith) and White SE Daytonas. Serviced and sold the black. The Zenith hands were two small for my aging eyes. The white dial loved it but ultimately missed the date feature almost on a daily basis. Traded it for a new GMT IIC and cash.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2013, 02:11 PM   #63
WilliamFoley

Watch: Timex MF17 (gifted
Man you really laid out some serious drawbacks of that watch. But you have to agree to the fact that sometimes looks alone can conquer functionality and this is what this Daytona is doing here. So play along with it and wear where you don't need to see the date like a party or at a beach or something.
WilliamFoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2013, 04:25 PM   #64
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamFoley View Post
Man you really laid out some serious drawbacks of that watch. But you have to agree to the fact that sometimes looks alone can conquer functionality and this is what this Daytona is doing here. So play along with it and wear where you don't need to see the date like a party or at a beach or something.
Good advice.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2013, 04:17 AM   #65
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

I love my white faced Daytona but it is not a watch for all occasions ,nor do I think it needs to be.

Here is an interesting perspective .

The Idiot’s Allure Of The Rolex Daytona Watch

By Ariel Adams

This is not a technical article or about any new watch release. Instead, this is about a look - a good look, but a look that you don't need to be a watch lover to understand or appreciate. It isn't just a look, it is part of watch fashion psychology, and something that draws people some refer to as that "accessory on your wrist." In fact, the reason why I used the term "idiot's allure," to describe the concept is because someone who knows nothing about watches will be attracted to this type of design. I am using the Rolex Cosmograph Oyster Perpetual Daytona watch (last time I will use this ludicrously long name for the timepiece). Now, you aren't an idiot for liking these Rolex Daytona styles, but it doesn't take a special person "in the know" to appreciate the look. The only difference is that people like you and me perhaps enjoy these watches for different reasons.

Why is this even a question you ask? Who cares? Because I am always interested in why people like the watches they do. Why are Rolex Daytona (or most of their watches for that matter) designs so timeless? Why do people like busy watch faces? Why do so many people buy chronograph watches that never use them. I would venture to say that the majority of Rolex Daytona watch owners use the chronograph function MAYBE once a year or less.

Forget for a moment that you know anything about Rolex, about the legendary Daytona, or versions like Paul Newman Daytona which is among the pictured. Focus only on the contrasting colors of the dial and the existence of the chronograph subdials. This is very important - not just that there are subdials, but that they "pop" out a bit. this is best achieved on the Paul Newman versions. There is also the almost perfect symmetry of the watch - that would be perfect save for the text and numeral differences. My first theory is that simple two-tone or other contrasts in just a few colors are the west way to create visually attractive watch face. Start to get too many colors on the dial and people might think the design too busy, too cohesive - though at the same time one color can make a watch dial look flat or boring from afar. Each of these Rolex Daytona watch perfectly captures this idea of simple contrasting colors - here in black and white. New or old, this look is timelessly well done in this range of Daytona dials. The best part of the color system is that the watch look good from inches away or from across a restaurant.

So why does it look so good? Well part of it is what i think is the brain's ability to perceive complexity or "multi-function" in small spaces. A Rolex Daytona watch case is 40mm wide with the actual face being a bit less. This is all the room that Rolex has for a design, which is often viewed from third party people afar. The watch needs to be recognizable and readable, which I think is simply done easier in just two colors. Otherwise the brain begins to bleed shapes and design. Part of the success of this two-tone contrasting look is the historical success of these designs simply being the easiest to mentally decipher. If the brain could process shapes more adeptly using more colors in such a small space, then all this would be moot - but it is not.

Then you have the allure of the chronograph and its subdials. Most people don't really care too much about the chronograph. Yes, some of us do, but for the most part, if you are going to be timing anything these days, your first inclination is a digital watch. Instead it is what I believe is the perceived notion of the chronograph watch due to the subdials. Let's face it, people love subdials (dials within dials are cool!), and in its tri-compax array, no one does subdials better than Rolex in the Daytona. Subdials allude to function and purpose. That the watch on our wrist is an actual instrument as opposed to just some timepiece. I've heard people who know nothing about watches look at subdials on a timepiece and remark "they make the watch look like it does a lot." Really sophisticated, I know - but there is a worthy point there. The concept being that Rolex did a good job in making the watch look like more than it is. Yea, the watch doesn't even have the date, but it still looks to a lay person like is a complex timing instrument. Hell, it even has a tachymetre scale. Most watch lovers don't even know what that is, or how it work - but looks cool. And that additional ring of numbers that is so prominent is an important part of the "functional attitude" that Rolex imbues the Daytona watches with - it really doesn't matter than no one uses it, or looks at it.

This same concept can be transcended to the screw-down chronograph pushers. Now, these are admittedly more functional on an everyday basis, but still add that cool "technical" look. Sure they are used to help increase water resistance in the ol' "Oyster" watch case, but they just help with that "this watch probably does something cool look." There is also the attractive but simple three-link metal bracelet. the design is purely functional and not distracting. Nothing to take away emphasis from the case. The beauty of this classic design is not in the quality or reliability of the watch, but rather what it makes people think. That is why people are willing to pay so much for this watch. because it easily appeals to people who don't know anything about watches.

Honestly I love the Rolex Daytona collection of watches. I think they could be sized a bit bigger these days and perhaps add a date disc, but then they wouldn't be Daytona watches. Still. I don't feel like a connoisseur because I like the Daytona watches. I like them, and the guy who wears too much gold jewelry who wants to add to his watch collection of Breitling watches likes the watch too. So this article was about two things in the end. First, why everyone and their best friend likes the Rolex Daytona, and two, a bit about why those elements are so easy to enjoy. It isn't about idiots, or the love of shiny, shiny things. Going back to the basics, Rolex has always succeed in following the principle of KISS, or spelled out as "keep it simple stupid." The alternative is a busy watch with too much hidden impressive points that requires a skill level like mine to appreciate, or a three week course at your local "horology appreciation class." And the latter doesn't really exist.
cornerstore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2013, 03:55 AM   #66
fliphandywork
"TRF" Member

Watch: Precision
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC View Post
Thats a shame. I love mine.....
Great photos!
fliphandywork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2013, 02:35 PM   #67
Dean D
"TRF" Member

Daytona SS White.

Interestingly enough, some days one feels like blending in a bit, not too much bling, with clients or under the radar events, etc. I think a Perfect day for the Daytona! I love mine, as I think it is very comfortable.
Dean D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2013, 09:04 PM   #68
NewDaytonaMan
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona
i've always had problems remembering the date, so for the past 30 years all my watches always had a date function or else, no sale! I've had this SS Daytona for 3 weeks now, (it was my grail watch for so many years!), & I wear it to work every day. The first day, it was very difficult getting along without the date function, but strangely enough, i have become so enamored with this absolutely gorgeous watch, that now I just don't give a hoot about the date. I just wake-up in the morning, see the date on my laptop or newspaper or desk calender, & then I doggedly remember that date all day long!

i just love my new Rolex!
NewDaytonaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2013, 02:52 AM   #69
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
just got mine yesterday, blk face ss and love it. Classy....
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2013, 08:46 AM   #70
ilovethiscity
"TRF" Member

Watch: the days go by
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
Dial pic from the thread I included:
That is the nicest Daytona I have ever ever seen! Amazing.
ilovethiscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2013, 01:04 AM   #71
theken
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
thoughts on my new black dial 116520 Daytona

I bought a new random series stainless steel Daytona on Wednesday.
After reading The Rolex Magazine Issue #1 that I recently received, I was convinced that I needed a Daytona in my collection.
A visit to a Rolex AD sealed the deal. After a nice conversation with the owner of the store, I asked if they had a new 116520 available. He excused himself and went into his back room/safe and returned with 2 Daytonas, a black dial and a white dial 116520, both unopened in the clear plastic shipping containers. They were fresh inventory and both had random serial numbers.
I spent some time admiring them and asked which of the 2 dials was in greater demand for his customers. He told me that the demand was about the same for both dials. As expected, he also mentioned that they were fortunate to have both in stock for the Holidays.
I thanked him for showing me and mentioned I would like to buy one but had been offered an attractive price by another Rolex AD where I previously purchased several new Rolexes.
Once again he excused himself and checked with his business partner. A couple of minutes later, he returned and informed me that they would accept the price that I had been offered.
They were extremely cordial and thanked me several times for my purchase while the bracelet was being sized.
I am delighted to have a stainless steel Daytona in my collection once again, especially since it was purchased new with my name on the warranty card. Certainly it is one of the most recognized Rolex icons along with the Sub Date, GMT-Master II, Datejust and Day-Date.
Addressing a couple of the points in the original post of this thread in the spirit of constructive dialogue, I have the following thoughts.
1) NO DATE. Yes, no surprise there. Since I do not plan to wear my Daytona everyday, I prefer that I can simply wind the crown a few times, set the time and the Daytona is ready to go.

2) TIME IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO READ. This is dependent upon the viewing angle and light source. When the watch is on my wrist, I look at the dial at about a 60 degree angle and I find it very easy to tell the time.

3) WATCH DOES NOT POP. Bland/understated is fine for me although I find the polished surfaces make the Daytona far from bland for my eyes. What makes the Daytona "pop" for me is having it on my wrist and my own personal appreciation for it instead of any attention it may get from someone across the room.

4) DON'T LIKE THE BEZEL. Love them or hate them, the bezel and screw down pushers are the iconic elements of the Daytona design.

My suggestion is to give yourself a chance to bond with the Daytona. If you don't, it is still one of the easiest Rolex models to resell and recover your "investment".

Happy 50th Anniversary Daytona!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex Daytona 116520 random series 002.JPG (59.8 KB, 1177 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex Daytona 116520 random series 006.JPG (53.5 KB, 1175 views)
theken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2013, 01:15 AM   #72
accce
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Daytona
If you looking for something special try the gold Daytona's. I have had the SS versions. While I like the SS Daytona there is nothing like the weight and different/beefier case of the WG, Rose gold and Platinum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (79.8 KB, 1178 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (81.0 KB, 1171 views)
File Type: jpg photo 11.jpg (61.0 KB, 1171 views)
accce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2014, 06:48 AM   #73
iclick
"TRF" Member

I've had my white-dial Daytona SS for two weeks today and I feel acquainted with its qualities enough to comment here.

1) NO DATE -- Over 43 years of ownership I've grown accustomed to the date feature on my GMT but haven't missed it yet on the Daytona. Indeed, every Rolex I've owned in the past (four) have had the date feature except the Daytona. However, I believe the utility of this feature is diminished given the popularity of smart phones, as if I forget the date I can simply pull my phone out of my pocket and check. After that I remember it.

2) TIME IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO READ. I have the same problem, especially in my office which is dimly lit by design. I must move the watch into the light to see the time, and even then it isn't easy. Fortunately I have other clocks in the area, including one on my desktop--so this isn't a problem at all. In most other situations the dial is undeniably busy but although I'm usually able to see the hands clearly enough it isn't as easy to read as the GMT by a significant margin.

The readability issue may be solved to a large degree by moving to one of the gold variants that uses darker hands, like the Meteorite model. The chronograph hands on this model are red and stand out much better against the background, but it's too bad we must go to a much more expensive model to get more readable hands.

3) WATCH DOES NOT POP. I can't agree with this notion at all. It is elegant and with all the bright surfaces does indeed pop to my eye even though the use of color is almost entirely lacking. I think it stands out when placed next to my old GMT with its faded bezel.

4) DON'T LIKE THE BEZEL. I haven't used the tachymeter function yet and probably won't, so I'm not concerned with its readability. By contrast my GMT's bezel is very readable with its Pepsi adornment, but I don't use the 24-hour function on that watch either.

Quote:
I think after this venture, I have clearly decided I need a date and a little 'bigger' presence on my arm (seems small when you put it on vs Sub).
When I first opened the box and saw the first Daytona that I had seen in the flesh my first impression was how small it looked sitting there. However, compared to my GMT 1675 it looks to be about the same size even though the GMT case itself is a tad larger. The pushers and white dial I think contribute to the illusion that it is bigger than it actually is. My wrist is 7" and my hand small, so it in no way looks small on my wrist--about right I would say for my taste. I had a TT Sub about 20 years ago and it felt big and wasn't very comfortable for me, so I kept it a couple of years and sold it. The GMT has always been a good fit for me and I would have to put the Daytona on equal footing in the comfort category. Both weigh about the same and the bracelets (Oyster) are similar.

Here are the two together, and while shot separately and merged the sizing is very close.

iclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2014, 11:58 AM   #74
AsianPersuasion
"TRF" Member

Just got mine a week ago for my birthday in white. Love it, I have a sub And date just. Wearing the daytona stands out. Everyone I know has a sub, but when u walk in a room with the daytona anyone who knows watches is impressed. It is an icon.
AsianPersuasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2014, 01:29 AM   #75
magnetized
"TRF" Member

Watch: aHolic
thats a bummer,but mine is awesome
magnetized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2014, 01:44 AM   #76
Mrdi
Banned

Nothing quite like the magic of wearing a Daytona
Mrdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2014, 09:53 AM   #77
TypeR
"TRF" Member

I fall in love with daytona.....

uploadfromtaptalk1393631341433.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1393631376444.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1393631452250.jpg
TypeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2014, 11:27 AM   #78
MetalNuts

Watch: DJ2, PAM359, AT
I agree with u texex91. Despite Daytona is a good watch, it is just not for me. First no date, second, the additional chronograph is of no use to me but make dial full of circles. However, I do not agree that one must use the watch as it is designed and intended to be used for a particular purpose. Most Sub owners do not dive, what's the use of water proof of 300m, unlikely the pool or bath tub is that deep.
MetalNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2014, 10:55 AM   #79
iclick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalNuts View Post
Most Sub owners do not dive, what's the use of water proof of 300m, unlikely the pool or bath tub is that deep.
Engineering overkill for that extra measure of safety?
Old 3 March 2014, 01:21 PM   #80
iclick
"TRF" Member

*** double-post ***
Old 3 March 2014, 11:23 PM   #81
xbox
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hunting ...
Very interesting thread.

As an ex-black face owner, I could relate to some of the previous comments.

Had a quick look at current dial options and gotta say this looks really good from a legibility perspective.....

xbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2014, 09:54 AM   #82
nickb732
"TRF" Member

I just got a brand new black SS yesterday, and I haven't been able to take it out of my sight. Been dreaming about owning a Daytona since I was 13 or 14 (haha!) and having one is a dream come true. Sorry that you don't like yours, though..
nickb732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2014, 04:05 PM   #83
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
daytona-or-rose-2.jpg

Well I can understand your point of view, honestly I never really liked the Daytona, until they released the 116515, I just ordered the one you see with ivory dial, I know that many like better the chocolate dial on this model, but on the chocolate the time is really practically impossible to see, even when you have good eyes.

Of course you can't compare this one to a sub, it's a classy chrono, not at all a sport's watch… Anyways saw it in real, liked it a lot and ordered it, hope I'll like it as much on the long run...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2014, 01:25 AM   #84
Guerreiro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
For me? 👍👍👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 April 2014, 07:05 AM   #85
thewalk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Having been a sportscar racing fan since i can remember, the Daytona was a natural "best of the best" for me. I truly do use the chrono to time laps at Daytona (24), Sebring and other cool tracks. My WG with Meteorite dial is quite legible to me and the weight lets you know you have something substantial on your wrist. From a "pimp" perspective, I have only had one person see what mine is and comment on it. It is pretty low key, in relation to its' price point.

Daytona is simply the best Rolex ever, IMHO and I am stoked that Rolex Magazine Issue #1 was dedicated to it.

BTW, how do you guys get those AMAZING pictures of your watches?? Beautiful.
thewalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2014, 08:43 AM   #86
thewalk
"TRF" Member

I like the black lines in the WG hands. Makes mine very legible in reading the time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1398638551955.jpg (49.4 KB, 842 views)
thewalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2014, 06:15 AM   #87
DaytonaSubmariner
"TRF" Member

I own both a white face and black face SS Daytona. I prefer the black face (yes, it's definitely easier to read the time), but my wife prefers the white face. She says the white "pops" more than the black.

I did miss the date initially, but got used to not having it. When I wear my GMT BLNR, it is easier to read and having the date is nice.

TBH: My wife really doesn't like either of my Daytona's as much as either a Sub (which I used to own, but sold to get the black face Daytona) or my GMT BLNR.
No, the Daytona does not have the wrist presence of a Sub or GMT due to the bezel being SS. I have to agree. It makes the watch look much smaller than any of the watches Rolex makes with colored bezels. I have not worn a gold Daytona with a black bezel, but I imagine it would help with wrist presence.

I'm into racing and that's the main reason I absolutely love my Daytona. I actually wear it when I'm racing. It's quite comfortable under my racing suit and gloves, so the size and weight are good for that.

In the end: To each, his own. Even if it is a Daytona, it just may not be the right watch for you. From what you posted, I'd say to definitely look into a GMT.
DaytonaSubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2014, 05:33 AM   #88
sennheiserz
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛ + Ω +
Every point the OP made, in his order, was what convinced me that I didn't need a Daytona. Legibility is such a huge factor for me, and the bezel looks so cheap.

Collection: Rolex Sub NDc 114060 | Omega SMP 861 | Apple Watch SS
sennheiserz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2014, 01:01 PM   #89
Nycturbovr6
"TRF" Member

I think the legibility is good on the white dial model. No issues for me
Nycturbovr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2014, 02:57 PM   #90
singkwokhk
Banned

Watch: Sub
You are not buying the Daytona because of the functionality. It is just for the look. If you want to know the time, use your iPhone and Android Phone. :-)
singkwokhk is offline   Reply With Quote