The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 2 September 2008, 05:11 AM   #31
wayne_zmh
"TRF" Member

Great review, thx Peter!
wayne_zmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2008, 09:53 AM   #32
stuttgart
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Thanks for the review, I fall in love with the GMTIIC once I see it in person. It's really a great watch.
Old 16 October 2008, 09:28 AM   #33
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Nice review !
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2008, 09:32 AM   #34
Latrodectus
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
great review, thank you
can not wait to get mine!

Member # 16057
4-Hands Club
Tosser Club Member
TRF Skypers Group
Latrodectus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2008, 06:30 PM   #35
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Completely agree with this review. Having just switched from Sub LV to the GMT IIc, I must say he captured how I feel exactly. The supercase is so much more substantial and comfortable. Then, the band and clasp - far superior to what I had with the LV. The sub is functional and works, but I love the solid links, the solid clasp, etc.
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2008, 04:57 AM   #36
ajfjunior
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II C
good post and review, i too have the GMT IIC and love it
ajfjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2008, 05:31 AM   #37
petespendthrift

It's been quite a while since I wrote the original review in this thread. Anyway, I just decided to have a look at it and was surprised to see so many replies. Thank you everyone for the positive comments.

By way of an update:

Although I have had periods where I have been fed up with the polished centre links enough to seriously consider selling it, I still love my GMTII-C and have now sold almost all my other watches (the others just do not compare to this one). I have given the watch a few more dings and dents and it has held up very well to some quite careless everyday wear.

So, I can actually live with the one aspect I do not like. Even though they are not really polished anymore, they do look a bit scruffy as the thousands of tiny hairline scratches are invisible on the brushed links but swirl in all different directions on the centre links.

At some point I intend to ask RSC in London or Bexley if they will brush the centre links for me. I realise that they may refuse but cannot see why they should - I am after all a fee paying customer. If they agree, I will let you know and those who are not buying one because of the polished links (I know there are plenty) can then go ahead and buy with confidence.

I think the watch is Rolex's best ever but still cannot understand why they are pursuing the polished look. Virtually no one had a problem with the all brushed links and in contrast plenty hate the polished look so it seems a no brainer to me. Rolex if you read this: get a grip!

In summary the watch is close to perfection and the one real problem actually easily fixed.
petespendthrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2008, 06:21 PM   #38
nikhileshsingh

Watch: Sub, Explorer II
Pics Buddy !! Post the Pics
nikhileshsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2008, 01:08 PM   #39
Spirit-V12
"TRF" Member

Watch: Z 16600 SeaDweller

...as you said, the half-link extension in the clasp is a feature that I really love. It´s SO practical to me, that everytime I get my GMT-IIc out of the watchbox, it ends being on my wrist for days...

The new styled clasp is a huge improvement on comfort at the Rolex line, over the old thinner clasp. Watch feels smooth on the wrist, and it´s a very 'plus' for wearing.

About the polished Center Links, I like it as they are, but I have to admit that it gets scuffs easier. Although I have seen a member of this forum having his Bracelet brushed (don´t remeber who) and I recall he saying that polishing the area around the coronet in the clasp was quite tricky..
...just to throw out an idea, I guess it would not be cost-efficient, but maybe asking to buy a whole new bracelet could be an option? a brushed one, I mean.
But afterall, yours is already scuffed, so it might be better to polish this one, and get a polished other as replacement - or for other occasions, maybe...

Anyway...Just enjoy your watch!

Wear it well!
Erwin.
Old 4 January 2009, 10:45 AM   #40
Duncan1
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Ceramic
Have had mine a month or so, very comfortable, a little more "bling" but that's
a personal thing...anyone who might notice will tell you" nice Rolex"...same thing they'd say about any Rolex....enjoy!
Duncan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2009, 06:43 AM   #41
miked
"TRF" Member

Watch: speedy, po,rlx gmt
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjal View Post
Lately sometimes I catch myself admiring the dial when the minute hand is covering the red 24h hand and thinking that looks very good.
Strangest thing just happened. I have never thought about the clutter of the gmt hand. Right after I read this post I looked at my gmt-c and the minute hand was covering the gmt hand. Really weird, it did look nice but then it would not be a gmt right?

Anyway, I had a gmt-II and sold it for the C, after 2 months no regrets.
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2009, 09:50 PM   #42
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Nice review, thanks Pete

How about some pics of said beastie ...?

Cheers
Old 19 February 2009, 12:23 AM   #43
Nods

Watch: Rolex GMT SS
I am the same at first I thought am I doing the right thing, however every day I am more impressed with my GMT. You look at it and each day you see something more elegant and you know that you made the right decision.
Nods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2009, 03:21 AM   #44
postiff

Watch: 116710LN
Great review. I too struggled with the polished links hated them at first. I ended up buying a cheapy Hong Kong polished bracelet and sported it on my 1675 for a few weeks before getting a GMT IIc. the scratches made it look less shinny even more so when I did the unthinkable and took a 000 steel wool to the polished links and made them way less shinny. I have not had the balls to do this to the GMT yet and probably will not. Four days into the lifetime of this watch and it looks better and better ever day. The clasp itself is truly amazing and I have not yet been able to capture its true beauty in a photo.
postiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2009, 12:24 PM   #45
hflee55
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Watching You!!
good review.
hflee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2009, 04:07 PM   #46
Nods

Watch: Rolex GMT SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Strangest thing just happened. I have never thought about the clutter of the gmt hand. Right after I read this post I looked at my gmt-c and the minute hand was covering the gmt hand. Really weird, it did look nice but then it would not be a gmt right?

Anyway, I had a gmt-II and sold it for the C, after 2 months no regrets.
As I read this I looked down and sure enough, the minute hand was covering the gmt hand. Completely, I had to have a second look. Talk about synchronicity! I agree with all your comments.
Nods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2009, 02:14 AM   #47
hennabav
Banned

Watch: --Rolex--
Thanks for your honest opinions about the watch. I thought about getting one of these.
hennabav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2009, 10:45 PM   #48
tekkie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT's
GMT IIc

I totally agree that this is the best watch that Rolex has produced in a long time. I had owned a Submariner some 23 years ago and sold it to get a GMT II because of the extra functionality for time zones (I travel a lot). I once had my GMT ripped off my wrist jumping from a C130 in the British paras and found it on the DZ grass later. Muddy and not a scratch on it. I have worn it daily since with one Rolex service.

I have loved the black and red 1987 model but I bought this new version last week and am blown away with it. The quality of EVERYTHING is improved. It's not just a small incremental change it's a very well thought out upgrade to a successful formula and the engineers have done an awesome job.

I also think that we will be seeing a lot less counterfeiting now with the new bezel and internal rim lettering and that's good for everyone.

I agree with your comments on the polished center links.......just wear the darn watch and forget it! On the green time zone hand, I think the red was certainly easier to see than the green, although I prefer the green with my glasses on!

This is set to be a high value piece for the future and a great investment. I know both my sons will have a hard time figuring out who gets the black/ red or the ceramic when I kick the bucket!

(Is that why they are suggesting parachuting again?......... )
tekkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2009, 05:08 PM   #49
jasper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 / speedy pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nods View Post
As I read this I looked down and sure enough, the minute hand was covering the gmt hand. Completely, I had to have a second look.
I did the same thing, and it wasn't...
Seiko 6309 The perfect watch for a trip to Mexico.
jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2010, 02:59 AM   #50
Joe750

Great review, thanks! I have recently discovered this watch, too, at the recommendation of my AD as an 'in-between' the Sub and DeepSea. I was interested in the SD, but since they are no longer available, he suggested the GMTIIc. It is really growing on me, but has one problem for me..the cyclops. I don't mind the polished links, but if I get the GMTIIc I will have the RSC remove the cyclops. In my mind, it will be close to perfect for me then. Just my opinion.
Joe750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2010, 09:05 AM   #51
petesjag
"TRF" Member

I love a bit of 'bling' so my GMT IIc is right at home on my wrist...
thanks for the great review!!!
pete
petesjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2010, 10:55 AM   #52
nauticajoe
"TRF" Member

For me, the polished center links never bothered me. Probably because I've been wearing Breitling's for over 10 yrs; the entire bracelet is polished! In due time, the minor scratches gave the watch character. I love the watch - hands down over the Breitling or my IWC.
nauticajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2010, 11:38 AM   #53
nauticajoe
"TRF" Member

Great review & an awesome watch! Definitely a keeper.
nauticajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2010, 03:38 PM   #54
hng
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sports Rolex
It's Rolex's Masterpiece so far!!!
Old 28 March 2010, 04:23 AM   #55
Gster
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT IIC
Have been wearing mine constantly since September last year and love the watch!
Have the odd scratch here and there, but give it a quick polish up now and again and its fine.....pretty damn well perfect in every way in my opinion.
Just thinking what will be my next purchase....haven't truly seen anything that rocks my boat as much as my GMT IIC
Gster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 07:24 AM   #56
munichblue
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petesjag View Post
I love a bit of 'bling' so my GMT IIc is right at home on my wrist...
thanks for the great review!!!
pete
I don't like the 'bling' so I gave it to a German AD, they did an excellent job and brushed the bracelet. I love the new finish!

cheers - mike
munichblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2010, 02:06 PM   #57
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
more reviews and feedback for gmtIIc

the polished part of the clasp is really scratch prone.

the polished parts are really shiny and can attract attention.

the feel of the bracelet is excellent

black ceramic bezel is really classy

the hints of green are ok but red would be more visible.

the blocky case is ok and fits with the larger numbers on the bezel

conclusion: the watch is really a dress watch and not an everyday watch.
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2010, 12:56 AM   #58
The Waddler

Watch: GMT IIc
FAO Munichblue - your AD has done a stellar job on brushing the PCL's - does anyone think it will be possible to replace the bracelet with one from the new ceramic sub with the glidelock? Just curious.

And a brilliant initial review - My GMT IIc is causing me an incredible amount of pain.....

It's a wedding present from my fiancee and I'm not married for another 2 1/2 weeks so I can't wear it!! I can only get it out of the box to show friends if they come over but it's staying locked away until I'm married.

I think about it constantly, so much so it's overshadowing the wedding for me

I will post pics and a full review when I finally get it though - I wanted that to be my first post on here but I couldn't help myself.....

Last edited by The Waddler; 14 April 2010 at 12:57 AM.. Reason: .
The Waddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2010, 10:26 AM   #59
andrew79
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I just had mine for about 2 weeks now... have anyone tested the power reserve on this model ? the manual said it supposed to be 48 - 50 hours... but i checked yesterday and it stopped after around 32 hours....
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2010, 01:57 PM   #60
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe750 View Post
...It is really growing on me, but has one problem for me..the cyclops. I don't mind the polished links, but if I get the GMTIIc I will have the RSC remove the cyclops. In my mind, it will be close to perfect for me then. Just my opinion.
Be careful about that. Another member tried this and discovered, much to his shagrin, that the AR coating is in 3 places! On the underside of the crystal, in the exact shape of the cyclops, again on the upper side of the crystal, in the exact shape, and then again on the cyclops itself.

Here's the Rolex spec sheet for the cyclops and crystal:

Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote