The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 16 June 2018, 06:33 AM   #1
ragsk
Banned

Speedy Tuesday - worth buying for $7,600?

Hi all.

I have been offered one of these locally in London for the equivalent of $7,600. Brand new unworn with papers etc.

I really like the look of the watch. I have never owned and Omega before but am keen on buying one.

One of the "watch gurus" on youtube reckoned its overhyped given its hardly limited at over 2000 pieces.....

What do people think - a worthy buy at that price? Or just overhyped and prices will come down as more hit the market?

Thanks
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 06:39 AM   #2
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

If you like the look of the watch and think it's worth the $$...buy it. If not, pass.

What is truly hyped are "Watch gurus."
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 10:42 AM   #3
WJGESQ
Banned

Nope.

Wait.

Buy used.

Don't take the hit.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 02:08 PM   #4
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

They were $6500 new but as with any limited edition they’ll likely only increase in value. I haven’t seen any for sale under $7000 and I think that’s a pretty good price for a popular watch that only had 2012 made
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 03:15 PM   #5
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Pass
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 06:32 PM   #6
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

Assuming that is £6k, then that is about as low a price as you can pay for BNIB from a dealer in the UK. Watchfinder has a worn one for £5995. Most UK dealers prices are £6.3 -£7.5k and often worn. If a private sale then you might get one unworn for a few £100 under £6k but many private are also asking well over £6k.

Prices seem to have settled in the above range as the speculators off load. A run of 2012 pieces for what is a popular Ltd Edition is not that much, so I can't see prices going down in future, IMO.

I wouldn't buy a watch as an investment, if you like it buy-it ..........I love mine
stevedssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 08:15 PM   #7
ejvette
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
Not a fan

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 01:09 AM   #8
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I would buy a regular Speedmaster with hesalite crystal for half that price. This watch was made because of Fratello Watches website which publishes articles about the Speedmaster on Tuesdays. Means zero to me.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 12:26 PM   #9
jlafou1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Hard for me to justify when that much cash can get you a quality vintage premoon
jlafou1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 01:10 PM   #10
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
I would buy a regular Speedmaster with hesalite crystal for half that price. This watch was made because of Fratello Watches website which publishes articles about the Speedmaster on Tuesdays. Means zero to me.
This

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 01:23 PM   #11
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

The most important thing is to buy what you like. Nobody wants to buy something that tanks in value and I don’t think that will be the case. In the beginning of any new limited edition watch all the flippers buy them first and flood the market which ends up dropping the price. After it settles down and new owners (non-flippers) get their watches the price begins to increase.

The OMEGA Speedmaster Professional Snoopy "Eyes on the Stars" 3578.51.00 was a “limited” edition of over 5,000 pieces and now they sell for over $10,000 without a box or papers. People said the same thing back then (2003) “who wants a watch with a cartoon on it?”. Now it’s one of the most collectible modern Speedmasters out there.
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 01:50 PM   #12
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

This is an emphatic yes, a wonderful watch and I see firm value not going below msrp
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 02:55 PM   #13
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I’d say no but hey this hobby is ridiculous to begin with.
Old 17 June 2018, 04:02 PM   #14
Chrislec
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageVagabound View Post

The OMEGA Speedmaster Professional Snoopy "Eyes on the Stars" 3578.51.00 was a “limited” edition of over 5,000 pieces and now they sell for over $10,000 without a box or papers. People said the same thing back then (2003) “who wants a watch with a cartoon on it?”. Now it’s one of the most collectible modern Speedmasters out there.
WOW... In that case the Speedy Tuesday should aim higher. I read somewhere they made only 2000 pieces. Omega (and Fratello) were very worry they wouldn't sell well, but they were all gone within hours...
At that small volume, the collector market will get wild soon. Similar production volume as the Speedmaster Tintin, which some say is the next Paul Newman Daytona..

If Speedy Tuesday events continue and if they don't make another one, prices will skyrocket in less than a decade.
Chrislec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 11:46 PM   #15
Polarbears
Banned

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislec View Post
WOW... In that case the Speedy Tuesday should aim higher. I read somewhere they made only 2000 pieces. Omega (and Fratello) were very worry they wouldn't sell well, but they were all gone within hours...
At that small volume, the collector market will get wild soon. Similar production volume as the Speedmaster Tintin, which some say is the next Paul Newman Daytona..

If Speedy Tuesday events continue and if they don't make another one, prices will skyrocket in less than a decade.
TinTin is definitely the one to buy now before price insanity strikes. Great piece.
Polarbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 11:51 PM   #16
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Speedy Tuesday - worth buying for $7,600?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislec View Post

Don’t know about “the next Paul Newman Daytona” but people will appreciate the tintin later.

To answer the op question, I would not pay over msrp for a ST. I would rather have a 2998 or a snoopy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 05:15 AM   #17
ragsk
Banned

Thank you all for your feedback.

I have never owned an Omega before and the sheer amount of Omega specials and limited editions out there are a bit of a put off and confusing.

But I like the watch a lot. I think its looks superb. Hence i am edging towards buying it.
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 06:41 PM   #18
Watchmutt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarbears View Post
TinTin is definitely the one to buy now before price insanity strikes. Great piece.
Watchmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 09:13 PM   #19
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Go to an Omega AD and try on the different models of the Speedmaster in stock. I would not buy one that is that expensive and the speculation on what it will be worth in the future is just that. Look to our TS sellers here once you decide on the model you want. I prefer the Co-Axial Speedmaster with the sapphire crystal and case back in 44.25 mm. I was able to get it on metal for almost half of retail slightly preowned. For what you would have tied up in the LE you are looking at you could have a slightly preowned manual wind version on steel and a Tudor Black Bay GMT or Pelagos. Just my thoughts. Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180315_112823 (002).jpg (185.7 KB, 959 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 10:37 PM   #20
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I though about it when I bought my speedy pro last month. While I do like the look, I went with the origional as they had the same movement, and the moonwatch is the “real deal” whereas the Fratello a tribute piece. With that said, if I had the origional and an extra 7 grand or so, I would consider both!
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 12:10 AM   #21
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I’d say no but hey this hobby is ridiculous to begin with.
Yeah, this is how I feel, too. If you're head-over-heels in love with it, then you should have a Speedy Tuesday, but I would be cautious about expectations of future value. Just my gut feeling about it...
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 02:28 AM   #22
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I would like to have a Speedy Tuesday because I love the reverse Panda, I could care less about its relative collectability. $7600 is around the cheapest I've seen but I'll wait a little longer hoping for MSRP or less.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 10:06 PM   #23
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

If you like it, like I do, then buy it. It’s a reasonable price IMO and long term I anticipate it will increase in value and be more expensive to buy than it is today.

JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 10:19 PM   #24
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Think if you wait can do better on a slighty used one

Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 12:24 AM   #25
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
This is how I feel, too. I do, however, dig the 60th Anniversary edition.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 03:21 AM   #26
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
I could care less about the Fratello watch association or that it's a limited edition. The combination of white subdials with radial text, applied logo, hesalite crystal, and fully brushed case just makes it the best looking Speedmaster, in my opinion. I'd love to get one, but I'm also struggling over whether it's worth twice the price of the regular moon watch.

That said, given the limited quantities and popularity, I wouldn't be surprised if the secondary market prices stay high or go up further. $7500 seems like a pretty good deal.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 04:27 AM   #27
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
It’s currently my favorite Omega.

And it is limited. 2,000 watches worldwide is not a lot. At all. Once gone, you will never get again.

Love mine.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 06:18 AM   #28
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Not in the waiting camp.. life is too short.
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 08:51 AM   #29
stockae92
"TRF" Member

I think Speedy Tuesday looks good in day light, call me crazy but I think there is too much lume going on in the dark. I am not saying I don't like the lume, its just a little too busy. (and I am a certifiable lume freak)

If you like the watch, get it. For me, I went with Speedy Pro moonwatch. The same substance at half the price. Don't get me wrong. I think the finish of Speedy Tuesday looks great, I just can't justify the price difference for *just* a different finish and a different dial. (and it pays homage to Alaska Project II I think)

*just me*, for the same money, I got myself a Speedy Pro AND a PAM 000. Just sayin'
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 01:16 AM   #30
Cheld
"TRF" Member

Omega has flooded the market with so many "SEs" that they aren't so "Special" anymore. Either save $ and get a standard Speedy Pro or spend the same $ for a premoon.
Cheld is offline   Reply With Quote