The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 August 2019, 09:10 AM   #1
Skavary
"TRF" Member

CHNR, a Classic?

Greetings all! Just curious what you guys think. Is the CHNR going to be a classic years down the line? With a solid resale value?

Obviously it's important to buy what you like and not allow the market to dictate these sorts of purchases, but just curious what the general consensus is out there.
Skavary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 09:15 AM   #2
calebb90
Banned

I think it will go in and out of fashion along with most other 2 tone models.
calebb90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 09:15 AM   #3
EP32k2
"TRF" Member

I have one and I say no. Only classics will be SS professional sought after models.
EP32k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 09:54 AM   #4
roadie1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Divers, GMT
Yes! It will absolutely be an almost unobtainable classic! Look at the vintage root beers!
roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 09:59 AM   #5
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadie1 View Post
Yes! It will absolutely be an almost unobtainable classic! Look at the vintage root beers!
^^^^ Yup. It’s on a different level than the other TT models. Remember in the 80’s gold was king and not SS. Fashion is cyclical.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 10:15 AM   #6
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
I don’t think so.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 10:18 AM   #7
tacotaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C - Black
Give it another 25 years and let’s revisit this topic
tacotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 10:31 AM   #8
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
No.

I don't think any modern 6D Rolex will ever be truly collectible (Think REALLY collectible. Not just because we think it should be or because of pricing) by future WIS' in say, 30-50 years unless the world runs out of PM materials (for PM models), or someone famous or infamous is associated with a reference number under extreme circumstances or it develops a serious dial manufacturing defect delivering a unique patinaesque characteristic.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 10:41 AM   #9
Shihan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebb90 View Post
This
Shihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 10:45 AM   #10
Shihan
Banned

True story...I was standing talking to a buddy of mine at work who owns the New rootbeer and this woman came up to us and asked us what we were talking about..watches of course..she looked at my Daytona ceramic white dial and loved it..then she looked at his and said "that looks silly on you..its a funny color"....we all laughed..well almost all of us..
Shihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 10:47 AM   #11
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

i would hesitate to say anything rose gold is a classic. only time will tell. don't think it has anything to do with 2 tone either because 2 tone ss/yg djs will forever be a classic
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 10:48 AM   #12
djgallo
Banned

Its one of my favorites, but may depend on how many are made before being discontinued...if they stop production in year or two.....they go up...
djgallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 10:50 AM   #13
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
A classic as far as being a collectible who knows. Will an Air King be? I'm sure it will hold its value though.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 10:51 AM   #14
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Definitely a classic - 'cause I own one!
vesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 10:51 AM   #15
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadie1 View Post
What about the vintage RBs? Just a few years ago you couldn’t swing a dead without hitting someone trying to dump one. I’ve had at least three ADs tell me previous generation RBs were terrible sellers. Sure, today everything is an “unobtainable classic”. I don’t see that being permanent.
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 10:59 AM   #16
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
True story...I was standing talking to a buddy of mine at work who owns the New rootbeer and this woman came up to us and asked us what we were talking about..watches of course..she looked at my Daytona ceramic white dial and loved it..then she looked at his and said "that looks silly on you..its a funny color"....we all laughed..well almost all of us..
That's funny. There was a couple in my elevator and I noticed him wearing a 5 digit Sea Dweller. I was wearing my CHNR, and I saw him look down at it, so I told him, "you have a great watch". And he said, "thanks, but I really love your watch!" Then his girlfriend or wife looked at mine, smiled and said to him "is Rose Gold the thing now?" ouch. Very similar comment to the one you heard.

But it's one of my favorites regardless. And for the record, I don't think it will be a future classic. TT are too polarizing IMO.
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 12:03 PM   #17
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I think the CHNR is a great watch. But I think Rolex rose gold is just too pink and it has the potential to go out of fashion. Especially compared to other RG from other brands which is much more subtle.
Old 29 August 2019, 12:07 PM   #18
In-Cog-Neeto
"TRF" Member

Is the determining factor if a Rolex will be a classic defined by fashion trends?

Genuine question as I have never been influenced by what is fashionable, ever.
In-Cog-Neeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 12:18 PM   #19
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
I think the CHNR is a great watch. But I think Rolex rose gold is just too pink and it has the potential to go out of fashion. Especially compared to other RG from other brands which is much more subtle.
agreed...AP's rose gold is something i'd say would be timeless
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 12:23 PM   #20
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Greetings all! Just curious what you guys think. Is the CHNR going to be a classic years down the line? With a solid resale value?
You're basically trying to predict both future fashion trends and Rolex's future watch innovation. That's impossible -- the best anyone has to work with is educated guesses, and in some ways only uneducated ones.

I don't personally see any two-tone watch becoming an enduring "classic" -- two-tone has never worked like that before, and I'd be pretty surprised if that changed. The CHNR has the double whammy of being two-tone rose gold, which also flows in and out of fashion.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 12:26 PM   #21
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
You're basically trying to predict both future fashion trends and Rolex's future watch innovation. That's impossible -- the best anyone has to work with is educated guesses, and in some ways only uneducated ones.

I don't personally see any two-tone watch becoming an enduring "classic" -- two-tone has never worked like that before, and I'd be pretty surprised if that changed. The CHNR has the double whammy of being two-tone rose gold, which also flows in and out of fashion.
Except the classic TT DJ which has endured nearly 75 years of course...
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 12:33 PM   #22
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Except the classic TT DJ which has endured nearly 75 years of course...
I personally wouldn't consider any two-tone DJ to be a "classic." However, that's somewhat a matter of personal taste. Nonetheless, the Op's definition of classic seems to involve good resale value, and a two-tone DJ 36 fails that test pretty handily. Buy one today and you'll certainly lose money when you sell it (and older ones aren't exactly in top demand, either). That that's at a point in the cycle where two-tone is on an upswing -- what'll it be like in ten years when it's on the outs again?
Old 29 August 2019, 12:44 PM   #23
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
I personally wouldn't consider any two-tone DJ to be a "classic." However, that's somewhat a matter of personal taste. Nonetheless, the Op's definition of classic seems to involve good resale value, and a two-tone DJ 36 fails that test pretty handily. Buy one today and you'll certainly lose money when you sell it (and older ones aren't exact in top demand, either).
Well, that’s not what the definition of classic is. Make no mistake, a TT DJ, along with a YG DD and SS sub are typical, stood the test of time, quintessential, “what every person in the general public” would consider to symbolize “Rolex” - a classic in every sense of the word, regardless of resale value. Just like certain albums symbolize a band or a certain car model symbolizes the brand as a whole. Resale value is an entirely different matter.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 01:03 PM   #24
kirksingleton
"TRF" Member

I remember in the 90’s they couldn’t give the root beers away on the used market. I am really surprised that they came back in style. I am not a brown fan.
kirksingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 02:07 PM   #25
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well, that’s not what the definition of classic is. Make no mistake, a TT DJ, along with a YG DD and SS sub are typical, stood the test of time, quintessential, “what every person in the general public” would consider to symbolize “Rolex” - a classic in every sense of the word, regardless of resale value.
Well, that's your personal definition of classic. It's subjective. I myself would consider something classic only if it has been appreciated in a relatively consistent and enduring way, and a two-tone DJ 36 falls outside that particular definition. To me, "classic" endures throughout changing fashions and styles, and I don't think that can be said about any two-tone watch.

(Which is not to say that I don't personally appreciate the two-tone DJ 36.)
Old 29 August 2019, 03:13 PM   #26
Wimbledon
Banned

Watch: Me Serve
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebb90 View Post
Agree. It will go in and out of vogue, but will likely hold a much higher value over time than the other two-tones.

I have a CHNR and wear it every once in a while. It does tend to get a lot of compliments.
Wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 03:21 PM   #27
Wimbledon
Banned

Watch: Me Serve
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksingleton View Post
I remember in the 90’s they couldn’t give the root beers away on the used market. I am really surprised that they came back in style. I am not a brown fan.
Same thing can be said about Rolex GMT Pepsi's. The used market was absolutely flooded with these things. I bought a used Pepsi back then that was 2-years old for $2900. Turned around and sold it last year for $11,000.

/facepalm

Anybody who pays that amount of $$$$ for a 20 year old used Rolex is off their rocker. Dumb-dee-dumb-dumb-dumb. They can wear it around when they are driving their Pontiac Fiero.

All of these things come in and out of fashion. Hard to tell what trend will set off the people with more money than sense.
Wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chnr , rolex