The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 February 2020, 10:54 AM   #1
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
My Calatrava 5119j is discontinued.

Is it unpopular or do I have a collector’s item?
scarlet knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 11:16 AM   #2
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
Neither.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 11:54 AM   #3
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Here is a picture for those who do not follow model numbers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 14 February 2020, 06:02 PM   #4
jeorge
"TRF" Member

Right now know one wants a yellow gold dress watch. SS wr 100 m sport watch is top dog.
jeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 06:23 PM   #5
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
Neither.

myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 06:33 PM   #6
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
Quote:
non sense that is a classic that will still be relevant until the end of time
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 06:38 PM   #7
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
A very nice model that can be worn either side up.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 12:14 AM   #8
NoVaSubowner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Love them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeorge View Post
Right now know one wants a yellow gold dress watch. SS wr 100 m sport watch is top dog.

Spellcheck and pontificate much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NoVaSubowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 02:19 AM   #9
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

That is my thinking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc8p View Post
non sense that is a classic that will still be relevant until the end of time
I liked this watch when I first tried it on ten years before I bought it/could afford it. Glad I bought it while it was still available as a new model.
Old 15 February 2020, 06:14 AM   #10
dbfagan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes and no. As long as you dig it, it really doesn’t matter. Either way, it is a fantastic dress watch:)
dbfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 07:22 AM   #11
Tony64
"TRF" Member

The original 3919 was a long running classic and was synonymous with the Patek brand long before the current entry level steel sports frenzy.

James D. Malcolmson, watch enthusiast and Robb Report contributing editor, had this to say about the Patek Calatrava 3919:

"The most recognizable Patek Philippe, this member of the classic Calatrava family is not a Patek Philippe design per se. In the early 1980s, when the brand was seeking a more effective print advertising campaign, Geneva ad man Rene Bittel suggested creating an image of a watch that would represent Patek Philippe’s prized heritage and understated sensibilities. The rendering displayed a crisp dial with Roman numerals, a gold hobnail bezel, and a distinctive small seconds hand. Patek Philippe president Philippe Stern wisely instructed the company’s watchmakers to create a real timepiece that corresponded to the ad. That watch, the Ref. 3919, quickly became the brand’s top seller."

The 5119 is the virtually identical up-sized successor to the long discontinued 3919. Despite the preferences of TRF community at large, both were extremely popular and sold in sufficient numbers that I doubt either will ever reach collector's item status - but that in no way diminishes their significance in Patek history. I suspect that will endure long after the Patek sports watch fervor fades.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 12:23 PM   #12
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
The original 3919 was a long running classic and was synonymous with the Patek brand long before the current entry level steel sports frenzy.

James D. Malcolmson, watch enthusiast and Robb Report contributing editor, had this to say about the Patek Calatrava 3919:

"The most recognizable Patek Philippe, this member of the classic Calatrava family is not a Patek Philippe design per se. In the early 1980s, when the brand was seeking a more effective print advertising campaign, Geneva ad man Rene Bittel suggested creating an image of a watch that would represent Patek Philippe’s prized heritage and understated sensibilities. The rendering displayed a crisp dial with Roman numerals, a gold hobnail bezel, and a distinctive small seconds hand. Patek Philippe president Philippe Stern wisely instructed the company’s watchmakers to create a real timepiece that corresponded to the ad. That watch, the Ref. 3919, quickly became the brand’s top seller."

The 5119 is the virtually identical up-sized successor to the long discontinued 3919. Despite the preferences of TRF community at large, both were extremely popular and sold in sufficient numbers that I doubt either will ever reach collector's item status - but that in no way diminishes their significance in Patek history. I suspect that will endure long after the Patek sports watch fervor fades.

Well said
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 12:57 PM   #13
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Very nice comments!

Quote:

I treasure my Calatrava! Not going anywhere as long as I’m still kickin’.
Old 16 February 2020, 06:50 PM   #14
jeorge
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaSubowner View Post
Spellcheck and pontificate much?

Wow I didn't know we had a forum member who thinks he's the grammar and sensor police !
jeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 02:55 PM   #15
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Here is a picture for those who do not follow model numbers

A belated note to say this model does evoke classic, simple lines and that’s why I chose it, too. Just acquired it today as a preowned piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 03:24 PM   #16
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Great! Enjoy it!

Old 22 December 2020, 07:20 PM   #17
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
LOL... In all seriousness, yes, quite unpopular as the hobnail bezel has become unpopular regardless of the metal. And no, no collector's item. Still a classic though.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 07:41 PM   #18
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

We were with friends at their house. He mentioned he had a Patek. It was the same model as mine, but he had rose gold and mine is yellow. Funny to see one in the wild. Both metals look great.

Old 22 December 2020, 08:09 PM   #19
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
For sure not a collector's item as the movement is too small for the case (massive brass spacer!!) and thus the secondhand is sitting too close to the center.
Everybody who's seriously interested in Patek knows this.
bondtoys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2020, 01:52 AM   #20
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

I knew this before I bought it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtoys View Post
For sure not a collector's item as the movement is too small for the case (massive brass spacer!!) and thus the secondhand is sitting too close to the center.
Still love the watch. The fact that you can’t buy a new one makes it more valuable to me. The other Calatravas look very 1950s to me. This one seems like an older design, perhaps 1930s or 1940s.

I would tell the doubters to try one on, but that is a long shot due to the limited availability of the watch and I personally am staying out of ADs during the pandemic, assumes others do, too.
Old 23 December 2020, 03:11 AM   #21
Billfav
"TRF" Member

Quintessential Dress Watch

Simple and elegant. I have always admired that reference and truth be told I remember seeing a new one in a local AD about two years ago.

Does that reference has a porcelain dial?
Billfav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2020, 07:07 AM   #22
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Mine does not, but a similar reference does.
Old 23 December 2020, 08:11 AM   #23
Pouring2010
"TRF" Member

It’s a Patek Phillipe.

You are let if a very limited club. Just enjoy it

Pouring2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2020, 08:43 AM   #24
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeorge View Post
On no, I just purchased a yellow gold dress watch. Should be delivered to me tomorrow.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2020, 08:47 AM   #25
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
i remember i bought my 3919J years ago. and despite that theoritically it was small on my wrist, i still enjoyed wearing it.

it is such an elegant watch and has the PP DNA for sure.
i traded it as part of another Patek deal (and part of me regrets that). i believe even if the only watch you had from PP is a 3919 or 5119, you are one of the lucky few to own an amazing timepiece from the amazing watch manufacturer. wear it, enjoy it and be proud of it
Old 23 December 2020, 08:48 AM   #26
jumpingjackflash
2024 Pledge Member

The watch oozes elegance and class. It might not be the most popular model that is chased after these days, but it has a refinement that will last for years. I think this can easily be passed onto a child and it will be cherished. Just like I cherish my grandfathers watch passed down to me. As they say , “too soon to tell...”
jumpingjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2020, 09:29 AM   #27
77T
2024 Pledge Member

My Calatrava 5119j is discontinued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtoys View Post

Collector status isn’t based on movement ligne as well-informed collectors know. Some of the most sought vintage models are smaller cases - that part is true.

The cal215 & 215PS power many models - it’s a basic manual wind movement without complications nor problems. It’s size isn’t a problem as it allows simple design of cases for 5010, 5116, 5119, 5123, 5196, 7041, 7119.

The small seconds subdial only seems too close to the center visually in the 36mm and larger cases.

I agree a 5119 may not become a high-demand collectible, but that has nothing to do with movement size.

In 34mm and other form factors the subsidiary seconds is in the same position relative to the center, but appears closer to the outer edge due to a smaller dial diameter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote