The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 9 July 2006, 09:27 AM   #1
sub2004
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona
Panny help

Hi Friends

I am contemplating a panerai.

Is it difficult (or clumsy) to pull out the lever/locking crown and wind the watch? I mean is the action smooth or fragile etc or does "clicking" the lever back into place have any issues?

Also does the radiomir have "easier" winding i.e unscrew and wind or is there somthing similar to the luminor?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Don
sub2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2006, 09:34 AM   #2
w4rmk
Banned

Watch: Deepsea D-Blue
Winding the Luminor's is very easy. The little lever does not click, it just slides with a little pressure against the crown. The crown turns and winds with little effort (about the same as a Rolex). Sorry I cannot speak for the Radiomir's since I have never owned one. Also most Panerai's are automatics so if you wind the watch and wear it on a regular basis it will keep running without the need for additional winding. Panerai does still make watches that are not automatic in their classic series.

w4rmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2006, 09:38 AM   #3
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
Don,
I have the Luminor, the Radiomir & the luminor automatic.
As for winding, the lever mechanism is very smooth to unlock/lock and I have not heard any complaints about it "wearing out".
Once open, the winding is fairly easy to do. Obviously with the crown guard there, you do not get "full" winds, but rather partial winds. I find it takes about 50 of these to fully wind from fully stopped.
I have heard of a few people that have had issues with the whole crown guard becoming loose
With the Radiomir, you need to unlock the crown by rotating counter clockwise, then wind the watch, and then relock the crown by pushing & screwing back in.
Back to the Luminors. When the lever is open, you simply wind the watch in the current position, You can pull it out a click to set the time.BUT you should push it back in, BEFORE re-locking the lever.
With the automatics, you should not need to wind the watch very often as it does have the rotor etc to keep the watch going.
Just a note, as far as "how much pressure" is require to open the lever, a simple tug with your fingernail is all that is required. It is snug, but not hard at all.
Hope this helps.
John

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2006, 09:59 AM   #4
Rodentman
Banned

I never had any trouble with my 111. I DID get tired of the bulk of it however, and I got on the kick of buying lots of straps. I traded it for an IWC which I later sold. I prefer Rolex, IMHO.
Rodentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2006, 12:20 PM   #5
Roverdave

Watch: SS Sub
I agree with the responses above.

The BASE that I have is very easy to keep going and once I have a full wind on it a few turns every day keeps it goin' all day long.

Be careful when you get one though-they have turned out to be more addictive to me than the Rolex's are!

Don't worry JJ-I'm still not sellin' them either!

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Roverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2006, 07:25 PM   #6
sub2004
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona
thanks

Thanks friends

Just was a bit unsure about the winding on the historic models. Cant really play with the winding mechanism at Mansors, no matter how friendly they are,....

Definitely an addictive watch.

Thank you

Don
sub2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2006, 02:38 AM   #7
Southern Jessie

Don

There's no reason why you can't wind the crown of a Panerai at an AD, or see how the crown protector works.

I never had any problem - it's a very well built watch and although some people can't be bothered with winding it every day (I'm talking about the Historic models) I actually enjoyed this.
Southern Jessie is offline   Reply With Quote