The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 January 2018, 01:18 AM   #31
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazySumday View Post
Or, take them all home with you and find a place to stash them for more frequent rotations and start wearing them before you decide.
I was about to write this. If you don't have them around you can't enjoy.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 03:06 AM   #32
Thathorologist
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
My experience with other things in life has been.... if you end up with something better that you also like very much, you don’t miss the old thing you gave up for it as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have experienced this first hand. Great advice! and OP That’s one hell of a collection
Cheers

Thathorologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 03:10 AM   #33
mattedialdoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
I would never sell any of those for a PM period.

this

------
Instagram: @mattedialdoc
mattedialdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 03:21 AM   #34
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
Thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts, my brothers and sisters in WIS world.

Aking about which PM, I keep thinking about the WG sub. I could see that as one of a two watch collection. But I also flip-flop as I am thinking about selling a couple to help fund a Double Red Sea Dweller. lol.

I love the non-vintage replies on which some would keep and let go. I know if I posted this in the vintage section, people would have fits. but I do traverse between moderen and vintage. Vintage for the love, and modern for the practicality. At home I have an SD4K.

My heart is in vintage (as illustrated), and even though I may wear them out periodically, it would gut me if something happened. Not from a monetary loss as I have them insured, but from trying to source replacements. Some of these don't come up often, and if they do, they get snapped up quick. I can tell some of the respondents know exactly what I mean. What have I become. lol.

When I think about bringing them home, I think about irrational scenarios...like what if they got destroyed in a fire, I should've had them in a safety deposit box. lol.

My original plan was to consolidate up to higher vintage pieces, but then I thought what would I do with these? If I worry about home fires, etc. I guess, we'll see...the journey is full of twisty roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
I have been having similar thoughts.....I wear my 1680 about 90% of the time so considering selling my other watches to fund a PM sports watch (probably a Daytona of some description) which I can then wear on a more regular basis (hopefully!!). Difficult decision but sometimes less is more and why own things that you don't use and enjoy......unless you are a collector which I am certainly not. Good luck and let us all know what you decide.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
I'd keep the 5513 and 16710. One modern to do anything with and one killer vintage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
you cant replace any of those easy. no way am selling if i am you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Before I would sell, I would bring them home from the bank. If the issue is insurance, then get some. If the watches were readily available to you then you would possibly wear them in a better rotation. If you really wanted a PM you would have moved to make the deal and we would be seeing an incoming post. Your uncertainty makes me think that you do not want to go forward right now. That is good. When in doubt, don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugasbiggestfan View Post
Beautiful lot for sure. You certainly know how to pick em! If you end up wanting to part with the Tudor sub, I’m in the market!
I’d have a hard time getting rid of any of those, but if you’re not wearing them or looking at them regularly, what’s the point in ownership?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post

Which PM piece?
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfunk View Post
Don't consolidate IMHO. You don't have that many pieces and they're all different enough. I regret the only major consolidation I've ever done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazySumday View Post
Or, take them all home with you and find a place to stash them for more frequent rotations and start wearing them before you decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuela View Post
I consolidate from time to time, but when it comes to vintage sports Rolex, I no longer do so. I find that it is getting harder and harder to source pieces of a certain age complete and in excellent condition, at “reasonable” prices. Just my 2c.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgjr View Post
Ditto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
I agree. I think from what I read in your post that this is really where your issue lies.

Now, once you start wearing a piece and it doesn't bring you joy when you strap it on, that's a different story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by christo4 View Post
Nice collection! I share your anguish as I recently expanded to four pieces against all the advice and anguish of my inner frugal self. In a two watch "collection" you can easily and frequently rotate (and justify the second piece) but my experience has been it is hard to work in ....a third! Nevertheless, now I'm at four: Ugh!

If there are real pressures to consolidate (wife, life challenges, etc...) then "nello's" advice sounds good to me. Otherwise, hold 'em all for now (beautiful bunch) and maybe "consolidate" for something more exotic sometime in (!) the (!) future (!). In the meantime, enjoy what you have and try not to add any more pieces!
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 03:56 AM   #35
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
Id vote to sell em all and get one very special watch. If I could do that, I'd block this forum from my browser and live a happier, simpler life. There are different kinds of collectors.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 04:10 AM   #36
Teetime71
"TRF" Member

Watch: me nae nae
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnpina View Post
Id vote to sell em all and get one very special watch. If I could do that, I'd block this forum from my browser and live a happier, simpler life. There are different kinds of collectors.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

If somehow he/we could do that - Godspeed. Have not seen it done since “Chief” in One Flew the Cuckoos Nest.

Teetime71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 04:39 AM   #37
Mrcoach32
"TRF" Member

That’s a stellar collection! Personally, I came up with a 3-piece rule because I found I rarely wear anything outside of my favorite three. It was tough to do, but I’m glad I did it. Someone else gets to enjoy the pieces I didn’t and my “which one should I wear” anxiety went away......kinda. :)
Rolex 116610LN, Rolex 116710BLNR, Rolex 116610LV, Rolex 126600, Panerai PAM01320, Omega Planet Ocean 232.90.42.21.03.001, Omega Speedmaster Professional 311.30.42.30.01.005, Omega Seamaster 300M 2531.80.00, Tudor Pelagos LHD 25610TNL, Seiko SBDC007, Casio G-Shock GSTS130BC-1A
Mrcoach32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 04:39 AM   #38
dr35mm
"TRF" Member

Watch: BB58
I think if you consolidate you’ll enjoy them more.

Present: BB58 | BB36 | GMW-B5000D-1JF | 6900-PT80

Past: 16610LN | 16622 | 116610LN | 214270
dr35mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 05:58 AM   #39
Jamesw20
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
I just don’t get keeping watches in a bank vault. I’d never wear them either. Insure all the pieces and wear them. If they get stolen get a check.
Jamesw20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 08:44 AM   #40
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

I’d keep the red Sub, Speedmaster and Pepsi. Sell the rest and get that WG SubC!
Old 22 January 2018, 09:03 AM   #41
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
x2

Whether you are a collector at heart or not, what you have there is a killer collection.

Unless you're just dying for cash, you'd be crazy to let that go.

Maybe you should consider stronger security at home.

Whatever you decide to do, I don't think consolidation is the word you're looking for.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 11:21 AM   #42
Brenngun
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
You've said your heart is in the vintage world. No PM on the planet will hold a candle to a nice vintage piece when you feel that way. Consolidation only works if you don't like what you see when you open up the safety deposit box.

Look at it this way. Whenever you do get to the Bank you can change your watch to something you love just as much for the next few months. Even if you end up favoring one of them the others aren't going bad just sitting there. Who knows what they'll be worth in 20 years.

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 12:17 PM   #43
drmizzou
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector!
Wow, what a collection! Definitely hang onto them!
drmizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2018, 08:35 AM   #44
Ignace Worang
"TRF" Member

Very nice collection....i don’t think you need to consolidate...it’s less than one a day for a week, still have room to grow :-)
Ignace Worang is offline   Reply With Quote