The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 March 2019, 04:02 AM   #1
Blah114aa
Banned

Watch: Iphone
Trade Offer Consideration and welcome thoughts (Deep Blue for YMII SS).

I love my Deep Blue.. it's a bit large on me, but not too bad. it's top heavy at times, but I love its legibility. I am not sure I would do this, but I've been offered a trade as follows:

a SS YM II for my Deep Blue.

The SS YMII is a fav of mine, but I've only tried it on at an AD. The YMII in question has the older hands, my preference. My Deep Blue is the older model with the older movement and lugs. My wife does NOT want me to make this deal.

I was considering buying a YMII pre-owned anyway. I cannot afford to keep both because it's wasteful. I love the Deep Blue dial's transition, but I love that the YMII is slimmer than the Deep Blue. The Deep Blue is very top heavy on me, as said.

My wife says I will regret such a trade. The trade would be with a trusted seller on this site so there are zero concerns on authenticity.

I welcome thoughts from YMII owners or persons that have owned a Deep Blue and migrated from it. Will this be a mistake. I cannot have both. I will either make, or not make, the trade. I was offered a similar deal in past and turned it down, but then I went to an AD and tried a YMII on my wrist. I was stunned at its beauty. I do not at all care for the submariner hands on the YMII... I'd never trade any piece for the new model of YMII.

I appreciate feedback, thank you.
Blah114aa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 04:05 AM   #2
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
I personally would not. I think the YM is sharp, but the DSSD Blue is just special! Love that beast!
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 04:07 AM   #3
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Keep the DS
herts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 04:08 AM   #4
tie219
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 GMT, BBR
Not a trade I would ever do - but I'm really not a fan of the YMII. In the end, do what makes you happy.
tie219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 04:10 AM   #5
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah114aa View Post
My wife says I will regret such a trade.
And she is right
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 04:14 AM   #6
BMWatch
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD D Blue
Keep the D Blue.
BMWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 04:17 AM   #7
iamorlando
"TRF" Member

Do you like the ym more? Then get that one.
You can easily try on its gold sibling, that one is at all the ads.

I personally thought it was very light, felt a little cheap to me. I hope I don’t offend anyone saying that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iamorlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 04:21 AM   #8
klenboy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I personally like the YMII but will never trade my D-Blue 126660 for that. I'd rather get it as an addition.... when that time comes.... if ever.
klenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 04:29 AM   #9
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
If you need the complication then it's a straight forward problem. Otherwise they both have the same diameter (44mm). I'd suspect the DSSD is thicker which would make it wear more awkwardly!!! I think the dial on the DSSD is prettier.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 04:48 AM   #10
Blah114aa
Banned

you can all lock this thread. I am keeping the Deep Blue. The reason why is because I believe its dial is nicer than the YMII. I believe the YMII is a sleeper, though, and really wears well despite its diameter. The Deep Blue is a bit heavy, but when I wear it, I constantly gaze into its dial... plus I hiked the Grand Tetons for 14 hours while wearing it.. it has sentimental value, but..... I really do like the YMII and it seems, to me, the YMII new is HIGHER MSRP.. that's why I was really considering this too.

I have absolutely zero use for the YMII complication.... but then again, I am not diving 13,000 feet either. I bought the Deep Blue when it first came out because I presumed it would hold its value. My gut instinct is telling me, now, --I mean moments ago, the Deep Blue will retain value long term better than the YMII.

Thanks to all whom responded. Your time was not wasted.. I read each response. My wife really does not want me, ever, to part with the Deep Blue... she adores the watch on me, she says.. my issue is ... it's just so thick at times and during summer it moves quite a bit because it weighs so much. I can deal with it..
Old 8 March 2019, 04:50 AM   #11
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
If it was me, absolutely not.
The deep blue may be my favorite SS Rolex sports model out there. If they made it in a 40mm model, it would be my daily.
However, if your deep blue doesn't excite you in that way, then pull the trigger. It seems like the YMII really sings to you
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 05:01 AM   #12
Blah114aa
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmd View Post
If it was me, absolutely not.
The deep blue may be my favorite SS Rolex sports model out there. If they made it in a 40mm model, it would be my daily.
However, if your deep blue doesn't excite you in that way, then pull the trigger. It seems like the YMII really sings to you
the thought, now, of parting with the deep blue, along with others' comments above, and my wife, makes me appreciate what I have. I was intrigued at being offered a YMII even trade.... I have , or had, been pondering buying a YMII for some time... but I will opt for a Daytona or AP15450 instead... pre owned and in addition to my Deep Blue. those are two pieces for which I'd splurge and frankly, The daytona excites me the most because I've no chronograph currently. Agree about the 40mm comments.. I predict the entire industry will start going smaller .. a 40 mm deep blue could happen.. you never know.
Old 8 March 2019, 05:28 AM   #13
PatronMTL
"TRF" Member

go with what you like most...if you're no longer happy with the Deep Blue, move on. Dont sit on it because it's a popular watch or because others tell you not to move it.

In terms of trade value, the Deep blue is worth the same, if not up to $1000 more than a pre-owned YMII, so def do not ad any cash in that trade! (if you can get cash back even better)
Old 8 March 2019, 05:29 AM   #14
Blah114aa
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatronMTL View Post
go with what you like most...if you're no longer happy with the Deep Blue, move on. Dont sit on it because it's a popular watch or because others tell you not to move it.

In terms of trade value, the Deep blue is worth the same, if not up to $1000 more than a pre-owned YMII, so def do not ad any cash in that trade! (if you can get cash back even better)
the trade is 1:1.. no cash atop.. from either party. I appreciate the feedback. I am keeping the blue.
Old 8 March 2019, 05:48 AM   #15
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Thing about that watch is it isn't a daily for a lot of people. I say hang on to it and save for an addition not a replacement.
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote