The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 14 September 2019, 07:40 AM   #1
sorenu
"TRF" Member

President bracelet - pragmatism

I bought a beautiful WG 1803 that I absolutely love, but it did not come with a president bracelet. I keep feeling like the watch not being at its full potential without the bracelet, so I’ve started searching for a WG president bracelet for the watch.

I’ve found it really difficult to find a president bracelet although I’m not really a snob about the bracelet having to be same generation as the watch.

Does any of you experts out there have some advice for what a good solution could be? I’m even considering buying a brand new president bracelet.

Any advice is highly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sorenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 08:10 AM   #2
schaumburgla
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5513 Sub
Good luck with your quest to find a wg pres band. They are quite rare & ive only seen a couple sell alone over the years.
A possible solution would be too find a complete white gold day date w a nice bracelet for a reasonable price & than just sell the head of the watch. I’m quite impatient & this is the route I may take :)
I think you can come out pretty even financially as if you were lucky enough to source a nice bracelet only sale.
schaumburgla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 08:13 AM   #3
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

WG will be considerably more difficult, but they do come around - It will probably take some time and patience to find a good one. The Italian copies have a good reputation, if that’s something you’d consider. It might also be worth contacting the folks who are known for bracelet repairs (like Michael Young or LA Watchworks) to see if they have or could source one.

IIRC from a recent post, Rolex wants over $16K for a new one, which would easily buy you another whole WG 1803 with bracelet (and leave thousands in change).
miamiclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 08:21 AM   #4
tie219
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 GMT, BBR
I've only been a day-date owner for only a few weeks but couldn't imagine the watch without the bracelet. It's a must have. Good luck on sourcing the bracelet - you won't regret it when you find one
tie219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 08:53 AM   #5
sorenu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaumburgla View Post
Good luck with your quest to find a wg pres band. They are quite rare & ive only seen a couple sell alone over the years.

A possible solution would be too find a complete white gold day date w a nice bracelet for a reasonable price & than just sell the head of the watch. I’m quite impatient & this is the route I may take :)

I think you can come out pretty even financially as if you were lucky enough to source a nice bracelet only sale.

Thanks! That might be the route I’ll end up taking. WG is just difficult, but I like it so much :)

Old 14 September 2019, 11:17 AM   #6
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenu View Post
I bought a beautiful WG 1803 that I absolutely love, but it did not come with a president bracelet. I keep feeling like the watch not being at its full potential without the bracelet, so I’ve started searching for a WG president bracelet for the watch.

I’ve found it really difficult to find a president bracelet although I’m not really a snob about the bracelet having to be same generation as the watch.

Does any of you experts out there have some advice for what a good solution could be? I’m even considering buying a brand new president bracelet.

The best advice is to buy exactly what you love. I'd live with this mistake and buy better next time. Just sayin
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 11:56 AM   #7
Robtayham
"TRF" Member

I just bought a new OEM Rolex bracelet for my 1979 18038 YG DD. It was designed for my model. I bought it from an AD, who ordered it from Rolex. It took a few weeks.
Robtayham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 12:08 PM   #8
zapokee
"TRF" Member

You can buy a whole new 1803 with bracelet for close to the price of a bracelet only. Buy another one with bracelet and switch it between the two.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 04:53 PM   #9
sorenu
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the advice, it is really valuable to get input from the experts.

I will probably end up searching for a complete set and let this 1803 be my first toe dip into the day-date sea.

Any opinions on putting a jubilee bracelet on it? I have a 1603 dj with a bracelet that I could use.

Old 15 September 2019, 07:44 AM   #10
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Any opinions on putting a jubilee bracelet on it? I have a 1603 dj with a bracelet that I could use.
That wouldn't work for me - a steel bracelet on a gold watch. Apart from it just being wrong, the steel could damage the gold because it's much harder.
Old 15 September 2019, 12:07 PM   #11
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

Wear one on leather, rubber, NATO, whatever until you move it on (if ever).

if your next one is the same color dial and you keep both, be aware that replacing a WG dial is not as difficult as finding a WG bracelet, but a lot tougher than YG.

BTW ... We deserve pics already!
miamiclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 01:00 AM   #12
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
I have a wg DD and although it came with the bracelet, I still bought a couple of nice leather straps.
Buy some nice ones and wait ‘till one comes for sale.

The advise to contact MY and Rolliworks is very good. I would do it.
Old 16 September 2019, 09:46 PM   #13
sorenu
"TRF" Member

Thank you all so much for the great advice. It really helps to get some highly qualified input.

For now I’ll try to find a strap that feels right. The olive green suede strap I’m currently using feels pretty good and I think the color fits the watch really well.

Maybe I’ll stick to this configuration and go all in with a full YG set as my next venture.

Old 17 September 2019, 04:02 PM   #14
sorenu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiclay View Post

BTW ... We deserve pics already!

I’d love to post pictures, but unfortunately the site does not allow me to do so since my post count is not high enough

Old 18 September 2019, 12:45 AM   #15
mineral
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The original 1803 WG president bracelet is another level and it really make the day date so special if you have the original bracelet.

The original clasp is big buckle (not hidden type) compare to modern day date, good luck in finding one if you can. You will love it.

Old 18 September 2019, 06:37 AM   #16
sorenu
"TRF" Member

Wow! What a beauty! Thanks for sharing those pics.

Old 20 September 2019, 07:09 AM   #17
Racer X
"TRF" Member

Will be quite difficult to find and, if you do find a decent one, it will be expensive. Sorry to say it, but I think the bracelet is a huge part of the appeal of an 1803. The bracelet is just such a beautiful design...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1803-3.JPG (104.9 KB, 237 views)
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 07:32 PM   #18
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
...I think the bracelet is a huge part of the appeal of an 1803. The bracelet is just such a beautiful design...
Yes, the bracelet makes it a different experience altogether. Get one with the clasp if you can, as it has the holes for micro-adjustment.

The one with the hidden clasp is a bit of a pain because there's zero capacity for adjustment, so it's often either too tight or too loose as your wrist size varies with temperature/season.

Here's mine:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 69683245_236838193864829_8478307951085463906_n.jpg (85.3 KB, 211 views)
Old 20 September 2019, 09:11 PM   #19
gunhose
Banned

Watch: what's on my wrist
For me the president band has to have the hidden clasp !
gunhose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 01:35 AM   #20
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunhose View Post
Mine is a hidden clasp. Appearance outstanding, practicality not very good. You need to be able to make adjustments, and you can't with the hidden-clasp version. You have to add/take out an extra link, which cost USD 600 each from Rolex for the white gold (ask me how I know... ).
Old 21 September 2019, 02:53 AM   #21
Racer X
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunhose View Post
I agree. Personally, I think it's part of what makes the bracelet so pretty. Just seamless. Yes, a perfect fit may not be possible for all, but sometimes it's better to look good than to feel good. haha
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 07:56 AM   #22
tie219
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 GMT, BBR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
I agree. Personally, I think it's part of what makes the bracelet so pretty. Just seamless. Yes, a perfect fit may not be possible for all, but sometimes it's better to look good than to feel good. haha

Great way to put it

tie219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 12:32 PM   #23
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie219 View Post
Great way to put it
Awesome pic!

The hidden clasp certainly looks nice. Here's mine next to an OQ bracelet for comparison. The way the light reflects off the polished center links is incredible - they have a subtle linear curve that makes the light zip along the bracelet when you angle it slightly. Largely indescribable, but an amazing visual effect when you see it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14449358_343793765966779_1290080864297811968_n_002.jpg (93.3 KB, 158 views)
Old 21 September 2019, 02:20 PM   #24
STEELINOX
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
You can buy an Italian President bracelet for far less than a ROLEX band. Usually about $5 Large vs what you would pay for the OEM...

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote