The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 12 February 2014, 10:15 AM   #31
DVR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Diver watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by salty_snack View Post
They are an American company but claim to use swiss movements in many if not all of their watches. However, if memory serves they do not claim they are "Swiss made".
Modern Ball is a 100% Swiss company backed by Asian investors. Watches are 'Swiss made' and are of very decent quality. If you like the lume it's great brand to add to a collection.
The company needed a watch name with some heritage, a good marketable story and so they bought the Ball name. However, that does not make them American.
Old 12 February 2014, 10:50 AM   #32
salty_snack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVR View Post
Modern Ball is a 100% Swiss company backed by Asian investors. Watches are 'Swiss made' and are of very decent quality. If you like the lume it's great brand to add to a collection.
The company needed a watch name with some heritage, a good marketable story and so they bought the Ball name. However, that does not make them American.
My mistake. I knew "back in the day" they were an american company and to the best of my knowledge the pocket watches that have been handed down were made in the states. I was unaware that there were two separate companies, the modern having purchased the rights to the former.
salty_snack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2014, 11:20 AM   #33
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVR View Post
Spot on.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2014, 12:50 PM   #34
AbsolutelyROLEX!
"TRF" Member

Watch: AKA: ANDERL712000
There are quite a few older ball watches around, they must be half decent or they wouldnt last.
Ball watches look great, and the glow tubes are a fabulously original idea

Hans Wilsdorf, Rolex founder
AbsolutelyROLEX! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2014, 11:13 PM   #35
Jazz ham
"TRF" Member

I have 2 of each in my current collection. Of course Rolex is the better watch, but the Ball adds variety to the collection and I use them for a particular purpose. Even though my explorer can easily handle a dip in the pool, I would much rather wear the less expensive Night Train II. The lume is definetly the sizzle in the brand and often after the sun goes down, I'll take off the Rolex and replace it with the Ball and then wear it to bed. I believe Ball offers the most value in what you get in an ETA based movement. Get both!
Jazz ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2014, 01:19 PM   #36
eeh100773
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060 T Series '96
Quote:
Originally Posted by El118 View Post
Forget Ball.

If price is of concern, go for preown Rolex anytime over Ball.

Yeah, I'm with you. Lots of options between $1500-$4000, which is where most of the Ball lineup fell in.

Although, from what I've seen, their dress watches are nice. Not for me, but nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 February 2014, 10:03 AM   #37
toddster
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Sounds like you might be new to this world, for which the doctors have no cure, and I haven't seen any of those "anonymous" meetings either. HAHA. I've owned both and each has its unique features and they are in two completely different classes. A used Rolex is at a price point of a new Ball--what does that tell you about the two? If you buy the Rolex used and keep it in good condition you will be able to sell it for close to what you paid for it. This isn't a guaranty, but ask around. You won't be able to do that with a new Ball.
toddster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2017, 11:05 AM   #38
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Ballin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Define superior in regards to your statement. I've owned 3 Ball watches and 4 from Rolex. As an average, the Ball models were more consistent with their time keeping. The only thing superior is the brand recognition. The in-house movement is a nice touch for watch nerds like us but that doesn't make it any more capable of keeping good time. Dollar for dollar, Ball is one of the best options out there.
Was just looking at http://www.ballwatch.com/global/en/home.html
You'd be delighted to know that Ball watches are customisable and over engineered in a good way.

As mid life creeps in night time legibility is good. Zenith Bronze Big Crown also comes to mind. These plethora of undervalued watches make my 1 year waiting list/queue for Batman precarious and tempting...
yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2017, 11:01 AM   #39
ScottyP
"TRF" Member

I never cared much for the styling of Ball. If I found myself with a yearning for tritium I'd get a Marathon.
ScottyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2017, 01:30 PM   #40
Watch Admirer
Banned

No comparison IMHO.
Watch Admirer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2017, 12:38 AM   #41
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

I have several Balls and quite like them.
The lume is real where Rolex lume is complete crap.

I quite like their metal bracelets and think that the two bracelet Balls that I have (Ball for BMW GMT and Ball NECC) are better quality or at least wear better than my DJII.

I love the option of having a fine quality GMT for a reasonable price. I have three Ball GMTs, one of which I am wearing today. With that said my next GMT (sort of) is the Rolex Explorer II.

On the negative end, I think there are far too many Ball models, way too many of which use essentially the same case. Overall, Rolex to me looks more refined and has more of a WOW factor.

But I do love my Ball watches.
Way more than some other brands. For instance, my Breitling almost never gets worn.
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 10:29 PM   #42
WN1437
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116515ln
Rolex any day anytime
WN1437 is offline   Reply With Quote