The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 29 February 2020, 01:43 AM   #451
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Sorry, it opens for me but I am not a subscriber

Quote:
In Anyang, China, five members of a family came down with the coronavirus after hosting a guest from Wuhan in early January. But the visitor, a 20-year-old woman, never got sick herself.

Some individuals who are infected with the coronavirus can spread it even though they have no symptoms, studies have shown.

Asymptomatic carriers are a well-known phenomenon. But the coronavirus is a new pathogen, and these cases may complicate scientific efforts to detect cases and to curb transmission.If it is true that asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic people can transmit the disease frequently and efficiently, testing may need to be broadened, experts said.

“This implies we may need many more tests that can be used out in the field, at the point of care,” said Dr. Judith N. Wasserheit, co-director of the University of Washington MetaCenter for Pandemic Preparedness and Global Health Security. “We’re still learning about the biology of this virus and how it causes disease.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
TL;DR we don't have the tools to reliably and accurately diagnose or exclude this disease early in its course.
Agreed
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 29 February 2020, 01:51 AM   #452
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree although this Coronavirus is a serous problem lets get things into perspective.Around 291,000 to as many as 646,000 people worldwide die from seasonal influenza-related respiratory illnesses each and every year.
For us worrywarts .... this is the post you need to remember the most. In the U.S. alone, about 60,000 people die every year from the flu, and many of us don't even get the vaccine!

Good to be cautious and careful, of course, but people, can we please stop the panic!? The hype and fear-mongering are out of control.
Old 29 February 2020, 01:53 AM   #453
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
the Coronavirus outbreak thread

It may not be PC to address the elephant in the room, but the Chinese should really start thinking about changing some of their ways, like the things they eat, and cleanliness. It’s no longer just a local decision when it affects the world.

Experts think bats are the source of the Wuhan coronavirus. At least 4 pandemics have originated in these animals.

https://www.businessinsider.com/wuha...-humans-2020-1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29 February 2020, 01:59 AM   #454
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtnator View Post
It may not be PC to address the elephant in the room, but the Chinese should really start thinking about changing some of their ways, like the things they eat, and cleanliness. It’s no longer just a local decision when it affects the world.

Experts think bats are the source of the Wuhan coronavirus. At least 4 pandemics have originated in these animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I also think the US should consider being less dependent on China to manufacture all the stuff we buy. Especially in instances like this. This virus may be a game changer.
Old 29 February 2020, 02:02 AM   #455
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
I also think the US should consider being less dependent on China to manufacture all the stuff we buy. Especially in instances like this. This virus may be a game changer.
I completely agree with this. 100% spot on. Thank you for saying that.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 29 February 2020, 02:05 AM   #456
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
I believe they got a $3 trillion capital injection from none other than the central bank.
It could simply be that the retail investor just can’t trade at the moment. Don’t know.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Old 29 February 2020, 02:07 AM   #457
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I completely agree with this. 100% spot on. Thank you for saying that.
I think the world has learned the lesson of globalization in a very bad way. Essentials should be made at home. Everyone knows better. But the margins were just too sweet to ignore. Personally feel the world will come out of this healthier and to be honest, the world should take 1 month off to contain.

Old 29 February 2020, 02:19 AM   #458
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Hopefully this is a wake up call to that. Besides, China isn’t exactly our friends.
Old 29 February 2020, 02:24 AM   #459
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantheon View Post
The scariest part of all this is that it seems people can get it again even after they recover from it. If we get lucky and this goes away in the springtime then we just need to hold out and be as careful as possible. If people can't develop antibodies to this virus then vaccines might not be entirely useful even when available
An article on a relapse.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9362421.html

Coronavirus: Woman tests positive for second time weeks after being cleared of infection

Development comes amid growing concerns about safety of 2020 Olympics Games in Tokyo

A Japanese woman has tested positive for coronavirus for a second time after recovering from the disease weeks ago, local government officials have said.

The woman, who works as a tour-bus guide, is the first known person in Japan to test positive twice for the virus amid growing concerns about the outbreak in the country, where more than 180 cases have been confirmed
Old 29 February 2020, 02:29 AM   #460
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree although this Coronavirus is a serous problem lets get things into perspective.Around 291,000 to as many as 646,000 people worldwide die from seasonal influenza-related respiratory illnesses each and every year.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-19-face-masks

Yes, it is worse than the flu: busting the coronavirus myths

The truth about the protective value of face masks and how easy it is to catch Covid-19

Hannah Devlin Science correspondent

Fri 28 Feb 2020 13.59 GMTFirst published on Fri 28 Feb 2020 11.00 GMT

Claim: ‘It is no more dangerous than winter flu’

Many individuals who get coronavirus will experience nothing worse than seasonal flu symptoms, but the overall profile of the disease, including its mortality rate, looks more serious. At the start of an outbreak the apparent mortality rate can be an overestimate if a lot of mild cases are being missed. But this week, a WHO expert suggested that this has not been the case with Covid-19. Bruce Aylward, who led an international mission to China to learn about the virus and the country’s response, said the evidence did not suggest that we were only seeing the tip of the iceberg. If borne out by further testing, this could mean that current estimates of a roughly 1% fatality rate are accurate. This would make Covid-19 about 10 times more deadly than seasonal flu, which is estimated to kill between 290,000 and 650,000 people a year globally
Old 29 February 2020, 02:29 AM   #461
envuks
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
For us worrywarts .... this is the post you need to remember the most. In the U.S. alone, about 60,000 people die every year from the flu, and many of us don't even get the vaccine!

Good to be cautious and careful, of course, but people, can we please stop the panic!? The hype and fear-mongering are out of control.
The flu kills about 14 people per 100,000 cases in the US.

With a ~3.5% mortality rate, coronavirus would be ~3,500 deaths per 100,000 cases

I was talking about this with friends last night. Those rates are vastly different and our experience will be nothing like the flu. I’m 37 and lucky enough to not know anyone who’s died from the flu. The 2 friends I was talking to last night also didn’t know anyone who died from the flu. You also can’t catch the same strain of the flu more than once.

I believe our experience to be different with this when corona really hits due to the rates and fact a person can get it more than once. I hypothesize that we'll all know someone who dies from this before it’s all said and done

The US is basically dong nothing for prevention

Don’t panic, but it’s very possible that we experience a societal paradigm shift once this really gets going

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
Old 29 February 2020, 03:08 AM   #462
Yzord
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Gibeon watch
People need to stop panicking all the time.

it's just a flu and they are only using it to see how they can shut down a city.
Old 29 February 2020, 03:12 AM   #463
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post

With a ~3.5% mortality rate, coronavirus would be ~3,500 deaths per 100,000 cases

I was talking about this with friends last night. Those rates are vastly different and our experience will be nothing like the flu. I’m 37 and lucky enough to not know anyone who’s died from the flu. The 2 friends I was talking to last night also didn’t know anyone who died from the flu. You also can’t catch the same strain of the flu more than once.

I believe our experience to be different with this when corona really hits due to the rates and fact a person can get it more than once. I hypothesize that we'll all know someone who dies from this before it’s all said and done

The US is basically dong nothing for prevention

Don’t panic, but it’s very possible that we experience a societal paradigm shift once this really gets going

Well put. A lot of these too cool to care posts will not age well.
Old 29 February 2020, 03:15 AM   #464
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
Yes, and that is you opinion and you are entitled to that opinion, nobody's going to change it. But it's the way you respond to some people in a condescending manner ("Lol, K"; "Self proclaimed stock market geniuses", etc) that really shows you as a self proclaimed know it all. And nobody likes that, and least I think not. But you keep doing you.
Don't throw the word "nobody" around, that means "everybody" and I happen to like Brett. I also like a lot of what he says....
Old 29 February 2020, 03:39 AM   #465
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, this situation is a great example why.
Old 29 February 2020, 03:40 AM   #466
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post

With a ~3.5% mortality rate, coronavirus would be ~3,500 deaths per 100,000 cases.
It's apples and oranges. You can't extrapolate and compare to flu with such a relatively small sample size on the coronavirus.

Again, let's be cautious with all diseases, but the panic here is not logical.
Old 29 February 2020, 03:40 AM   #467
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Coronavirus reappears in discharged patients, raising questions in containment fight
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...source=twitter
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 29 February 2020, 03:45 AM   #468
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Don't throw the word "nobody" around, that means "everybody" and I happen to like Brett. I also like a lot of what he says....
You're right, glad you do.
Old 29 February 2020, 04:36 AM   #469
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, it is worse than the flu: busting the coronavirus myths
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-19-face-masks

Quote:
If borne out by further testing, this could mean that current estimates of a roughly 1% fatality rate are accurate. This would make Covid-19 about 10 times more deadly than seasonal flu, which is estimated to kill between 290,000 and 650,000 people a year globally.
Old 29 February 2020, 04:53 AM   #470
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
An article on a relapse.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9362421.html

Coronavirus: Woman tests positive for second time weeks after being cleared of infection

Development comes amid growing concerns about safety of 2020 Olympics Games in Tokyo

A Japanese woman has tested positive for coronavirus for a second time after recovering from the disease weeks ago, local government officials have said.

The woman, who works as a tour-bus guide, is the first known person in Japan to test positive twice for the virus amid growing concerns about the outbreak in the country, where more than 180 cases have been confirmed
This has been circulating for quite a while in China but it was labeled as fake news or suppressed. When the Japanese article released via Reuters (mainstream and highly reputable), that article disappeared overnight. Also, this came out from Japan: Two Japanese dogs tested positive for coronavirus. Can domestic animals carry a coronavirus? I have no idea. But that’s kind of scary nonetheless. If true.

Old 29 February 2020, 04:56 AM   #471
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Can domestic animals carry a coronavirus? I have no idea. But that’s kind of scary nonetheless. If true.
yes, according to my vet. I don't know to what extent the severity.
Old 29 February 2020, 05:21 AM   #472
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
. Can domestic animals carry a coronavirus? I have no idea. But that’s kind of scary nonetheless. If true.
The corona virus comes from bats, apparently.

The coronavirus spreading in China and the SARS outbreak of 2003 have two things in common: Both are from the coronavirus family and both were likely passed from animals to humans in a wet market.

Coronaviruses are zoonotic diseases, meaning they spread to people from animals. Because wet markets put people and live and dead animals — dogs, chickens, pigs, civets, and more — in close contact, it can be easy for a virus to make an interspecies jump.

"Poorly regulated live-animal markets mixed with illegal wildlife trade offer a unique opportunity for viruses to spill over from wildlife hosts into the human population," the Wildlife Conservation Society said in a statement.

In the case of SARS and this coronavirus outbreak, bats were the original hosts. They then infected other animals via their poop or saliva, and the unwitting intermediaries transmitted the virus to humans.

"Bats and birds are considered reservoir species for viruses with pandemic potential," Bart Haagmans, a virologist at the Erasmus Medical Center in Rotterdam, Netherlands, told Business Insider.

(...)
Old 29 February 2020, 05:22 AM   #473
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Fascinating.

I’m also curious about its spike structure. I had read that no other coronavirus (recorded) had a spike to bind to cells. Only Ebola and HIV have this spike. Is any of that valid?

Old 29 February 2020, 05:40 AM   #474
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

This is also an incredible source of information (at least for me), and she’s also an incredible reporter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/onlyyoont...e-live-updates

Old 29 February 2020, 06:10 AM   #475
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
This has been circulating for quite a while in China but it was labeled as fake news or suppressed. When the Japanese article released via Reuters (mainstream and highly reputable), that article disappeared overnight. Also, this came out from Japan: Two Japanese dogs tested positive for coronavirus. Can domestic animals carry a coronavirus? I have no idea. But that’s kind of scary nonetheless. If true.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
The corona virus comes from bats, apparently.

The coronavirus spreading in China and the SARS outbreak of 2003 have two things in common: Both are from the coronavirus family and both were likely passed from animals to humans in a wet market.

Coronaviruses are zoonotic diseases, meaning they spread to people from animals. Because wet markets put people and live and dead animals — dogs, chickens, pigs, civets, and more — in close contact, it can be easy for a virus to make an interspecies jump.

"Poorly regulated live-animal markets mixed with illegal wildlife trade offer a unique opportunity for viruses to spill over from wildlife hosts into the human population," the Wildlife Conservation Society said in a statement.

In the case of SARS and this coronavirus outbreak, bats were the original hosts. They then infected other animals via their poop or saliva, and the unwitting intermediaries transmitted the virus to humans.

"Bats and birds are considered reservoir species for viruses with pandemic potential," Bart Haagmans, a virologist at the Erasmus Medical Center in Rotterdam, Netherlands, told Business Insider.

(...)
I own veterinary hospitals and my wife is a veterinary surgeon. Dogs and cats can get the Coronavirus. Wild and domestic. Mostly while young. To find it in a dog or cat is not uncommon and NOTHING TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT. Older dogs and cats have antibodies to deal with it. Not a big deal. It does not transfer to humans from dogs or cats. The whole bat story to me is suspect. I’m far more concerned about people’s reaction to the virus than the virus itself.
Old 29 February 2020, 06:44 AM   #476
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Not a bad idea.
Old 29 February 2020, 06:45 AM   #477
envuks
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
It's apples and oranges. You can't extrapolate and compare to flu with such a relatively small sample size on the coronavirus.

Again, let's be cautious with all diseases, but the panic here is not logical.
I’m don’t really see this as apples to oranges. Yes, the sample size is vastly different and it’s possible that the rates change as more coronavirus data comes in. However, this is a decent parallel based on today’s known data.

I’m not advocating for panic, but I think everyone should be taking this very seriously. All of our best defense is lots of hand washing and no touching of your own face/mouth. Those are difficult habits for a lot of people. Personally, that's what my family and I are focused on now. Getting in the habit by calling each other out if we see face/mouth touching.

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
Old 29 February 2020, 06:51 AM   #478
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
I own veterinary hospitals and my wife is a veterinary surgeon. Dogs and cats can get the Coronavirus. Wild and domestic. Mostly while young. To find it in a dog or cat is not uncommon and NOTHING TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT. Older dogs and cats have antibodies to deal with it. Not a big deal. It does not transfer to humans from dogs or cats. The whole bat story to me is suspect. I’m far more concerned about people’s reaction to the virus than the virus itself.
Thank you!!

Old 29 February 2020, 06:59 AM   #479
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
There’s a reported story about a patient’s dog in Hong Kong quarantined because it presented with the virus.
Old 29 February 2020, 07:02 AM   #480
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think the world has learned the lesson of globalization in a very bad way. Essentials should be made at home. Everyone knows better. But the margins were just too sweet to ignore. Personally feel the world will come out of this healthier and to be honest, the world should take 1 month off to contain.
A pure maximizing profitability capitalism vs nationalist capitalism would be a fascinating conversation to have, but unfortunately not here...

I agree with taking the month off. The need to travel around internationally really isn’t that necessary. There are so many ways to conduct meetings technologically,being in person isn’t needed. Vacations can wait. Stay put for a while.
Closed Thread