The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 12 March 2020, 12:56 PM   #1651
77T
2024 Pledge Member

In something seemingly unrelated to the pandemic, Boeing just announced they will take apart every wiring bundle carrying MCAS circuits and separate them from the other systems.

The drastic drop in air travel due to corona virus is actually helping them because more flights have now been cancelled beyond the MAX’s original impact. Airlines won’t be on their back.

They had fought the FAA tooth and nail before someone leaked this news earlier this evening.

Takes a team one week to do this work per plane, multiply by 400 planes, and I really don’t see it coming back unless they put 40 teams to work (which they don’t have).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 12 March 2020, 01:09 PM   #1652
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtnator View Post
The whole globe would be ideal but just the US could do it. Give everyone a 2 week warning so anyone who wants to leave or come back could do so, then start and everyone stays home for a few weeks and the virus dies out. No travelers to the US unless they are TESTED and not with a thermometer, with a blood test. When the rest of the world sees our success and leadership by example, they will hopefully follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There you go, Trump’s announce a small step in this direction, but way too late to stop the spread, unless people implement social distancing, staying home until it does out.

Old 12 March 2020, 01:10 PM   #1653
EndlessEight
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
Quote:
NBA has suspended play indefinitely, until further notice. Not cancelled the rest of the regular season.
Appreciate the correction attempt.

The language I’m seeing doesn’t support either of our assessments though.

“ The NBA is suspending game play following the conclusion of Wednesday's schedule of games until further notice. The NBA will use this hiatus to determine next steps for moving forward in regard to the coronavirus pandemic. ”

The way that reads to me is that they are thinking of ways to try to find a way to hold the post season. Hence my assessment of just cancelling the regular season.

Again, just my logical deduction.
Old 12 March 2020, 01:16 PM   #1654
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
Would you not go to the hospital if you get sick then?
Well I am 40 and in good shape with no existing medical conditions so if it was just like a cold or even the flu no I wouldn’t go to a hospital and take up space I would just self quarantine like many others are doing. A bad cold doesn’t warrant a trip to the hospital for an able bodied person. If I were elderly or in bad physical shape with other existing conditions sure I would go to the hospital. This is part of the scare tactics and hysteria I am talking about.
Old 12 March 2020, 01:20 PM   #1655
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtnator View Post
There you go, Trump’s announce a small step in this direction, but way too late to stop the spread, unless people implement social distancing, staying home until it does out.

It is a step in that direction. Don’t know why UK was exempted. Could have stopped all cross-border traffic of any kind. Not a complaint - just a puzzle.

But we now have enough “cases in the wild” to stoke our own epidemic - thus our own domestic efforts are important.

Old 12 March 2020, 01:21 PM   #1656
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Well I am 40 and in good shape with no existing medical conditions so if it was just like a cold or even the flu no I wouldn’t go to a hospital and take up space I would just self quarantine like many others are doing. A bad cold doesn’t warrant a trip to the hospital for an able bodied person. If I were elderly or in bad physical shape with other existing conditions sure I would go to the hospital. This is part of the scare tactics and hysteria I am talking about.

I agree -

Old 12 March 2020, 01:29 PM   #1657
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I agree -

I commend you both on your wisdom.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 12 March 2020, 01:31 PM   #1658
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
In something seemingly unrelated to the pandemic, Boeing just announced they will take apart every wiring bundle carrying MCAS circuits and separate them from the other systems.

The drastic drop in air travel due to corona virus is actually helping them because more flights have now been cancelled beyond the MAX’s original impact. Airlines won’t be on their back.

They had fought the FAA tooth and nail before someone leaked this news earlier this evening.

Takes a team one week to do this work per plane, multiply by 400 planes, and I really don’t see it coming back unless they put 40 teams to work (which they don’t have).

Thanks for posting that. I was looking at Boeing stock after a CNBC analyst commented on what a buying opportunity it is now earlier today.

Might just wait a few weeks more.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 12 March 2020, 01:38 PM   #1659
H25B
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, SD43, OP31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
Thanks for posting that. I was looking at Boeing stock after a CNBC analyst commented on what a buying opportunity it is now earlier today.

Might just wait a few weeks more.
Pretty familiar with this... Wait a while. No one is sure when the FAA will be done peeling back the layers of that onion. Total shit show.
Old 12 March 2020, 02:10 PM   #1660
Indyguy24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SubC No Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
This exactly. This is serious stuff if you are elderly, but I am 29 and in decent shape, so I would not take up hospital resources, I would treat this like the flu, stay home until better, and then go on about life.

The biggest problem with this whole thing is that the media has everyone literally thinking the world is ending tomorrow. I

That being said, it's unfortunate how many public events are being cancelled, and I hope an attitude of isolation does not become a new norm in an already isolated and smart phone driven siociety.
Old 12 March 2020, 02:39 PM   #1661
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyguy24 View Post
This exactly. This is serious stuff if you are elderly, but I am 29 and in decent shape, so I would not take up hospital resources, I would treat this like the flu, stay home until better, and then go on about life.

The biggest problem with this whole thing is that the media has everyone literally thinking the world is ending tomorrow. I

That being said, it's unfortunate how many public events are being cancelled, and I hope an attitude of isolation does not become a new norm in an already isolated and smart phone driven siociety.
I think the doctors who are and will be treating the influx of sick patients would probably think there are bigger problems than some news coverage. I would bet money the docs in Italy do...
Old 12 March 2020, 04:14 PM   #1662
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Well we know you are you bum
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyv11 View Post
better get running Bas =)
Old 12 March 2020, 04:16 PM   #1663
randomer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyguy24 View Post

You might be fine but what about if you pass it on to your family and elderly relatives who may not survive?
Old 12 March 2020, 07:54 PM   #1664
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
I think the doctors who are and will be treating the influx of sick patients would probably think there are bigger problems than some news coverage. I would bet money the docs in Italy do...
Agree. And in the US, average physical age has gotten much older. And according to current thinking, more at risk.

Here are the stats.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...us-physicians/
Old 12 March 2020, 08:41 PM   #1665
77T
2024 Pledge Member

the Coronavirus outbreak thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomer View Post
You might be fine but what about if you pass it on to your family and elderly relatives who may not survive?

A good point if anyone in the home is elderly or in an immunodeficient mode.

Self-isolation/quarantine within the home (for the whole family sharing it) is a key component of protecting them and the neighbors/community as well.

Can’t say how possible that would be - it varies so much per family - one thing is the use of a mask for the infected family member but those aren’t readily available.

Old 12 March 2020, 08:49 PM   #1666
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
It is a step in that direction. Don’t know why UK was exempted. Could have stopped all cross-border traffic of any kind. Not a complaint - just a puzzle.

But we now have enough “cases in the wild” to stoke our own epidemic - thus our own domestic efforts are important.

UK should not be exempt, we are an island but are still accepting returnees from Italy with no screening whatsoever, and we have the same rates as Holland and many others on the mainland. We are just a week or two behind Italy.

So far - NBA is shut down for now, Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson have it, as does a senior health minister in the UK, a Juventus Italian football player and the owner of Nottingham Forest Football Club.
Old 12 March 2020, 09:24 PM   #1667
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
UK should not be exempt, we are an island but are still accepting returnees from Italy with no screening whatsoever, and we have the same rates as Holland and many others on the mainland. We are just a week or two behind Italy.

I can’t understand it either...

From the Homeland Security acting Chief:
“... certain European countries at any point during the 14 days prior to their scheduled arrival to the United States.

These countries, known as the Schengen Area, include: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland. This does not apply to legal permanent residents, (generally) immediate family members of U.S. citizens, and other individuals who are identified in the proclamation.”

This was stated after the mis-statement in Trump’s announcement that included products as well as people. It is only people being embargoed.

Old 12 March 2020, 09:29 PM   #1668
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
A good point if anyone in the home is elderly or in an immunodeficient mode.

Isolation within the home (for the whole family sharing it) is a key component of protecting them.

Can’t say how possible that would be - it varies so much - one thing is the use of a mask for the infected family member but they aren’t readily available.

Yep, still early days in US, but it is my opinion that unknowing/unintentional spread will be one of the biggest issues.

If you are a trial lawyer, courthouses are a huge vector. The norm is jury pools, and people packed halls and hearings. With highly traveled lawyers sprinkling into the mix.

And for serious matters many corporate clients expect on site meetings at their places of business. Even when those places of business are at elevated risk, such as medical providers.

I do not pretend to know what the answer is. And I understand the problems and perspectives. But absent action from state and federal court systems, deadlines continue and does necessary travel, depositions and hearings and trials.

So, for now, grab my briefcase and pocket hand sanitizer and keep on going.
Old 12 March 2020, 10:04 PM   #1669
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post

I do not pretend to know what the answer is. And I understand the problems and perspectives. But absent action from state and federal court systems, deadlines continue and does necessary travel, depositions and hearings and trials.

So, for now, grab my briefcase and pocket hand sanitizer and keep on going.

Can you say...
“c-o-n-t-i-n-u-a-n-c-e”?

Old 12 March 2020, 10:10 PM   #1670
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
I can’t understand it either...

From the Homeland Security acting Chief:
“... certain European countries at any point during the 14 days prior to their scheduled arrival to the United States.

These countries, known as the Schengen Area, include: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland. This does not apply to legal permanent residents, (generally) immediate family members of U.S. citizens, and other individuals who are identified in the proclamation.”

This was stated after the mis-statement in Trump’s announcement that included products as well as people. It is only people being embargoed.

We might have a special relationship but trust me no one here cares what the US does so no one will take any offence, so does not make any sense. I just hope you test anyone returning from a country with 500 or more cases, which in reality is probably 5000.
Old 12 March 2020, 10:17 PM   #1671
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
Imagine it gets into the prison system also, that has to be an ideal breeding ground.

Can’t just ship them off to hospitals.

Old 12 March 2020, 10:20 PM   #1672
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Frankly, US testing at all international entry airports is not likely. The maths are beyond the local resources at those airports.

When normal flights resume, then I suppose they could funnel flights into a couple of airports capable of handling that. Like LAX or JFK.

Old 12 March 2020, 10:23 PM   #1673
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
We might have a special relationship but trust me no one here cares what the US does so no one will take any offence, so does not make any sense. I just hope you test anyone returning from a country with 500 or more cases, which in reality is probably 5000.
I'm in agreement with this. To not ban the UK as well seems crazy, it's like opening a back door. Whats to stop a world traveler flying into Heathrow and then on to US?

DAVE

Old 12 March 2020, 10:26 PM   #1674
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
I'm in agreement with this. To not ban the UK as well seems crazy, it's like opening a back door. Whats to stop a world traveler flying into Heathrow and then on to US?
Yea already discussed in the business news and without polluting the thread there is one very good reason why the UK was left open, to protect certain business interests
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 12 March 2020, 10:30 PM   #1675
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Can you say...
“c-o-n-t-i-n-u-a-n-c-e”?

As well as the next guy or gal.

But to be effective would need to be global. Discovery scheduling orders would need to be changed. Trial dates and admin deadlines would need be changed. Or you would go out of the frying pan and into the fire.
Old 12 March 2020, 10:36 PM   #1676
statsman
"TRF" Member

Yesterday, the US reported 1,004 active cases (total cases minus deaths minus r coveries). This morning, 1,283 are reported. I don’t think it is all explained by an increased transmission outbreak; part of the 28% increase is probably due to a little bit more available testing. In my opinion, this should be the federal government’s top job- making tests available.

In other news, I saw where Merkel said that she expects 60-70% of Germans to contract it. Now, there is an experienced pol for you, that knows how to under promise and over deliver! Now, when 50% of Germany contracts it, she can declare a win!
Old 12 March 2020, 10:43 PM   #1677
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
If I'm not mistaken, that's how most of Europe gets here in the first place.
Old 12 March 2020, 11:06 PM   #1678
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I guess this is a step in the right direction. But the real issue so far in US seems to be citizens returning from abroad.
Old 12 March 2020, 11:08 PM   #1679
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
If I'm not mistaken, that's how most of Europe gets here in the first place.
Interesting point.
Old 12 March 2020, 11:24 PM   #1680
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Carnival Corporation Suspends Operation of Princess Cruises for 2 Months Over Coronavirus

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/...virus/2204376/
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Closed Thread