The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Closed Thread

Old 2 December 2022, 12:25 PM   #2011
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Prices softening quick (and it’s december!). Post Christmas will be interesting….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2 December 2022, 12:41 PM   #2012
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

B-b-b-but prices will pick up during the holidays
Old 2 December 2022, 01:49 PM   #2013
911AP
"TRF" Member

Do people actually think Rolex CPO will be less than grey? Every CPO program out there shows the opposite. They will charge even higher prices than the grey market.
Old 2 December 2022, 02:05 PM   #2014
psm11
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911AP View Post
Do people actually think Rolex CPO will be less than grey? Every CPO program out there shows the opposite. They will charge even higher prices than the grey market.
I’m with you. Not sure how it could be any other way.
Old 2 December 2022, 03:11 PM   #2015
sski
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛ & ✠
they can charge whatever they want but if those cpo watches just sit there gathering dust....then they will need to adjust/lower the pricing to a level the mkt. would be willing to bear. right now mkt. is trending lower. let's say an AD prices a cpo Sub @ $18K, i doubt there will be takers.....though to be fair, remains to be seen.

Last edited by sski; 2 December 2022 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: spelling!
Old 2 December 2022, 11:49 PM   #2016
samuel019
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911AP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by psm11 View Post
I’m with you. Not sure how it could be any other way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sski View Post
they can charge whatever they want but if those cpo watches just sit there gathering dust....then they will need to adjust/lower the pricing to a level the mkt. would be willing to bear. right now mkt. is trending lower. let's say an AD prices a cpo Sub @ $18K, i doubt there will be takers.....though to be fair, remains to be seen.
Agreed with all of this

I'm an exec in the auto industry for many decades and when comparing cars, yes I know its not apples to apples, but a CPO versus a Non Cpo of the same make model will always sale for more. Mainly because there is a fee that the dealer has to pay the manufacturer/plus extra labor and parts cost to be able to label that car "CPO"

I think what people might be missing is its not Rolex setting the prices or at least thats my opinion. Its the A D's. Rolex has just made yet another way to make money and I seriously think this is much ado about nothing.

I mean its not like Rolex is gonna be out here buying up preowned inventory. If so from who/where? And I definitely dont see Rolex opening up any preowned dealerships lol. All this is, is just a way for the A D's to take a watch in on trade, have it serviced, and slap a CPO sticker on the watch

What I find interesting is how this will play out in the A D's. As in what will the offer on such trade in? How will affect waiting lists on new models? The games? The run arounds?

As to the secondary market all I see happening is Rolex A D's playing ball like Chrono and all the rest but again its the A D's not Rolex. Unless you're telling me Rolex is gonna have a store front somewhere or start listing a pre owned section on Rolex.com
Old 3 December 2022, 02:45 AM   #2017
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel019 View Post
Agreed with all of this

I'm an exec in the auto industry for many decades and when comparing cars, yes I know its not apples to apples, but a CPO versus a Non Cpo of the same make model will always sale for more. Mainly because there is a fee that the dealer has to pay the manufacturer/plus extra labor and parts cost to be able to label that car "CPO"

I think what people might be missing is its not Rolex setting the prices or at least thats my opinion. Its the A D's. Rolex has just made yet another way to make money and I seriously think this is much ado about nothing.

I mean its not like Rolex is gonna be out here buying up preowned inventory. If so from who/where? And I definitely dont see Rolex opening up any preowned dealerships lol. All this is, is just a way for the A D's to take a watch in on trade, have it serviced, and slap a CPO sticker on the watch

What I find interesting is how this will play out in the A D's. As in what will the offer on such trade in? How will affect waiting lists on new models? The games? The run arounds?

As to the secondary market all I see happening is Rolex A D's playing ball like Chrono and all the rest but again its the A D's not Rolex. Unless you're telling me Rolex is gonna have a store front somewhere or start listing a pre owned section on Rolex.com

In my many years of buying pre-owned luxury import vehicles I always preferred CPO. I liked that I was getting something that had gone through a certified XXX point inspection by the dealer and had to meet the manufacturer's CPO programs guidelines and came with paper to back it up (a warranty).

Sure, it cost more but from a general consumers point of view I believe it was worth it. The key here is "general consumers" point of view and not the WIS's perspective. Probably 98% or more of the Rolex watch market are not TRF members who have a different perspective.

I think this program will do well for the ADs that put the money into having a certified technician set up in their location.

PS. I apologize for perpetuating the hijacking of this thread from its well-deserved original intent.
Old 3 December 2022, 02:56 AM   #2018
G3Z
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, Rolex etc..
I think it’s a positive thing.

A 5 digit CPO sounds fantastic ��
Old 3 December 2022, 03:28 AM   #2019
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3Z View Post
I think it’s a positive thing.

A 5 digit CPO sounds fantastic ��
The prices will be absurd…..30k for a hulk lol
Old 3 December 2022, 04:30 AM   #2020
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post
The new owner can bring the invoice of that transaction along to AP service center to proof the new ownership of that watch. I don't think AP will call the previous owner.

The warranty card was activated at POS by the dealer but they might not has the name of the owner. The owner will have to register the ownership at AP website and get additional 3 years warranty to the total of 5 years.

Grey dealers such as Jomashop do sell AP too with their own warranty, if you purchase it from them, you will not get 5 years warranty from AP.

I afraid that if you don't have the warranty card and the warranty number, you will have to pay for the service by yourself.

Thank you very insightful!

Old 3 December 2022, 05:06 AM   #2021
911AP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sski View Post
Actually people may be more willing to pay because Rolex personally has backed the watch. With the grey dealers there is always some level of risk. That risk just went out the window.
Old 3 December 2022, 06:40 AM   #2022
Rolexatlast
"TRF" Member

Yes, if I was buying a used Porsche, I would definitely pay a premium to buy from an AD than a general used car dealer
Old 3 December 2022, 08:42 AM   #2023
psm11
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexatlast View Post
Yes, if I was buying a used Porsche, I would definitely pay a premium to buy from an AD than a general used car dealer
I get that for something as complicated as a Porsche but for a mass produced watch that retails for like $8k (like a Sub)? Seeing the current prices for this program is that piece of mind worth thousands of dollars extra?
Old 3 December 2022, 09:48 AM   #2024
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...re-boom-levels

Old 3 December 2022, 11:03 PM   #2025
Mathematoxic
"TRF" Member

CPO watch purchases will become a new way for you to clock your purchase history. CPO watches will be priced way above current grey market prices. ADs will use brand new Rolex as a carrot for you to purchase CPO watches.
The issue now is, how many of us are willing to buy at CPO prices? I am not going to pay CPO prices no matter which direction the market moves. At the very most, I’m out of the watch collecting journey but my life still carry on. Ultimately it’s a want, not a need.
Old 3 December 2022, 11:10 PM   #2026
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel019 View Post

Im inclined to think a good amount of CPO inventory will come from folks who looking to upgrade their collection. It almost becomes an organic way of managing the inventory and so to, the customer buy history.

I’m glad to see them go this route
Old 3 December 2022, 11:44 PM   #2027
epicurus
"TRF" Member

deleted
Old 4 December 2022, 01:22 AM   #2028
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
How are prices doing this morning?

Old 4 December 2022, 02:13 AM   #2029
PJDIESEL
"TRF" Member

Icon4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
How are prices doing this morning?

Down?
Old 4 December 2022, 03:18 AM   #2030
honuswagner13
"TRF" Member

50th anniversary 26240 steel black AP chrono brand new complete for $51k. Still available.
Old 4 December 2022, 10:27 AM   #2031
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
Raining in Cali so decided to browse a bit.

Fully stickered 11/22 126610ln for $13.8k (card, no box)
Sized 11/21 124060 for 11.2k (full set)

Neither have sold yet from what I see. 124060 is somewhat tempting.
Old 4 December 2022, 06:00 PM   #2032
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexatlast View Post
So would I - but I generally pay an extra 10% or so on a car to have it approved used - ie checked over and get a manufacturer warranty. I wouldn’t pay it if it was 40%… And I always view watches in a very similar way to cars. (If it was a 40% difference, I’d be saving that money towards a repair in the unlikely event it was ever needed!)
Old 5 December 2022, 01:29 AM   #2033
aa909
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ben View Post
So would I - but I generally pay an extra 10% or so on a car to have it approved used - ie checked over and get a manufacturer warranty. I wouldn’t pay it if it was 40%… And I always view watches in a very similar way to cars. (If it was a 40% difference, I’d be saving that money towards a repair in the unlikely event it was ever needed!)
1 agree 100%. only nuance with watches (especially rolexes) is the risk of a fake, so knowing the seller is reputable is key.
Old 5 December 2022, 03:28 AM   #2034
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

With Larry Summers' last comments in his interviews, he confirmed indirectly that watch market will continue to go down because FED still has not broken the job market. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSswzkgtjIM

Now I understand why greys are doing everything to pump and dump their stock. Do not fall for their words.

Roman Sharf is getting ridiculous (comments to his post are fun af):
https://www.youtube.com/post/Ugkx_p1...j_MsjfuvXAkhAx
Old 5 December 2022, 03:47 AM   #2035
aa909
Banned

from what I'm seeing nearly all PM Rolexes are going for or below retail on the grey dealer market. They're typically the last to rise and the first to fall hard...
Old 5 December 2022, 04:12 AM   #2036
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa909 View Post
from what I'm seeing nearly all PM Rolexes are going for or below retail on the grey dealer market. They're typically the last to rise and the first to fall hard...
That’s right, mostly because people get interested in those only when they cannot find stainless models. It is going to be interesting to see what happens with dealer availability of the 5811G...
Old 5 December 2022, 04:18 AM   #2037
Screwly
"TRF" Member

Watch: “Pepsi”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown & Shield View Post
That’s right, mostly because people get interested in those only when they cannot find stainless ones.

I was the opposite. I have been hooked on pm watches after I purchased my first one. I love the heft compared to my stainless watches, and I find myself reaching for them more on daily basis. I was never a big gold guy, but I have done a complete 180. Would much rather have a rose gold watch rather than a stainless these days.

126613lb
326934 jubilee/blue dial
Old 5 December 2022, 05:51 AM   #2038
aa909
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown & Shield View Post
That’s right, mostly because people get interested in those only when they cannot find stainless models. It is going to be interesting to see what happens with dealer availability of the 5811G...
IMO in 2 years or so the 5811G will readily available in the secondary market around retail+tax. and if/when Patek relaunches the steel version of this model the 5811G may be below retail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwly View Post
I was the opposite. I have been hooked on pm watches after I purchased my first one. I love the heft compared to my stainless watches, and I find myself reaching for them more on daily basis. I was never a big gold guy, but I have done a complete 180. Would much rather have a rose gold watch rather than a stainless these days.

LOL same here. I had zero interest in PM watches until after I turned 40, and it's pretty much all I buy now after turning 50
Old 5 December 2022, 06:22 AM   #2039
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Where are all the people at claiming that prices would pick back up during the holidays?

The drop in transaction velocity is staggering - there is no floor in sight and we won’t see one for quite some time.
Old 5 December 2022, 06:55 AM   #2040
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
Where are all the people at claiming that prices would pick back up during the holidays?

The drop in transaction velocity is staggering - there is no floor in sight and we won’t see one for quite some time.

Watch for the bounce. Speculator interest is likely gone, at least for a time, but durable demand and wealth have both increased since the mid 20-teens. Demand is not going back to 2010 levels, even if the “investors” leave the market.
Closed Thread