The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 30 March 2020, 02:26 AM   #4351
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgodiving View Post
In an interview this morning Dr. Fauci said he would guess (based on the modeling) that there would be between 100,000-200,000 deaths in the US from Covid-19 and millions of cases. He stated there was a wide range in the modeling and that it would probably land somewhere in the middle and that seemed to be where he came up with these numbers.

But he added “I don't want to be held to that” because the pandemic is “such a moving target.”
With the amount of obesity, diabetes & heart disease in the US I highly doubt that would be correct. Looking at what Spain and Italy are going through I wouldn't be too optimistic, US healthcare isn't exactly fantastic... unfortunately.
Let's hope for the best though.
Old 30 March 2020, 02:27 AM   #4352
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
In a bad flu season, where the vaccine missed the mark, in the US you get 40,000 deaths. That’s over six months, with a normal (bell curve) distribution. I reckon that means about 400 dead per day from flu, at peak death (middle of the curve).

Right now, we are around 400 dead per day, and we are nowhere near the peak of the curve. We are at the “tail” end of it. Even with all the measures take , the US could see 1,600 per day at peak. That’s the best case, optimistic scenario. That’s the “win”, where we limit the infections significantly.
But do we really get that many “flu” deaths?

https://aspe.hhs.gov/cdc-—-influenza...correction-rfc

This is important because there are so many comparisons to influenza, but the influenza numbers sent out by the CDC seem pretty suspect.

Now that we have a very virulent virus actually causing that much disease, you can see what those levels really look like in reality. No PPE. Hospitals stuffed with patients in hotspots,etc.

Is Covid-19 exposing the CDC influenza narrative as disingenuous?

Is that narrative causing dangerous marginalization mentality towards Covid-19 as people keep focusing on these potentially propped up Flu numbers and think that Covid-19 ain’t so bad....while meanwhile, it really is?
Old 30 March 2020, 02:34 AM   #4353
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
With the amount of obesity, diabetes & heart disease in the US I highly doubt that would be correct. Looking at what Spain and Italy are going through I wouldn't be too optimistic, US healthcare isn't exactly fantastic... unfortunately.
Sorry to say most of your comment is uncalled for and kind of offensive to about half of us here.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 30 March 2020, 02:38 AM   #4354
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I just got off the phone with my parents and their best friends who vacation in Florida every year just returned from vacation two weeks ago.

One of them had tested positive for the virus on Friday and is now at St Mary’s hospital here in the intensive care unit.
Wow ..prayers and best wishes to them, Brian
Old 30 March 2020, 02:46 AM   #4355
statsman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
But do we really get that many “flu” deaths?

https://aspe.hhs.gov/cdc-—-influenza...correction-rfc

This is important because there are so many comparisons to influenza, but the influenza numbers sent out by the CDC seem pretty suspect.

Now that we have a very virulent virus actually causing that much disease, you can see what those levels really look like in reality. No PPE. Hospitals stuffed with patients in hotspots,etc.

Is Covid-19 exposing the CDC influenza narrative as disingenuous?

Is that narrative causing dangerous marginalization mentality towards Covid-19 as people keep focusing on these potentially propped up Flu numbers and think that Covid-19 ain’t so bad....while meanwhile, it really is?
I saw an article on that. The CDC annual flu death toll annually counts all deaths with underlying issues and diseases, exacerbated by flu, as a flu death. I think that’s fine if they’re consistent. They are doing the same with Covid-19, as is Italy, I believe, but not Germany (they only count the Covid-19 deaths where that is the only disease present).
Old 30 March 2020, 02:47 AM   #4356
statsman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What issues do you have with the quality of US health care? Where is it deficient?

Which country do you live in?
Old 30 March 2020, 03:04 AM   #4357
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: with confusion
Quote:
but not Germany (they only count the Covid-19 deaths where that is the only disease present).
It just goes to show statistics do not always show what we think they do.

I wondered why Germanys figures differed so much. They are not really fiddling anything, but just recording differently.
Old 30 March 2020, 03:33 AM   #4358
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
This thread is not a pissing match between countries.

Everyone settle down please.

Opinions sometimes feel like facts. And sometimes opinions are mixed in with facts.

Truth is the US is filled with overweight unhealthy people. That’s fact.

But the moment calls for compassion. For all.

This thread is sharing mostly opinions and hopes. With little in the way of facts. It’s still nice to me able to chat and debate and learn.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 30 March 2020, 03:34 AM   #4359
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
What issues do you have with the quality of US health care? Where is it deficient?
The United States usually ranks somewhere between 30th and 37th in the world when comparing healthcare systems and population health.
Old 30 March 2020, 03:38 AM   #4360
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Let's keep it positive, no need for this. I'm following this thread like others to learn and stay updated, there's some excellent commentary here.
Old 30 March 2020, 03:45 AM   #4361
statsman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
The United States usually ranks somewhere between 30th and 37th in the world when comparing healthcare systems and population health.
https://www.healthsystemtracker.org/...l-surgery-2015

What I see? The US does worse with preventable diseases, mainly due to obesity (in the US, morbid obesity, not starvation, is killing the poor). It does better than most in treating the difficult cases. If you have cancer, the US is a great place to have it treated (with and without insurance- contrary to what is advertised, not having health insurance does not mean you don’t get healthcare like everybody else. It means you have to talk to a social worker). If your wife is delivering three months early, the US is a great place to have a baby.
Old 30 March 2020, 03:48 AM   #4362
Rolexatlast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
That’s an important reminder.

Trash collectors, law enforcement, utility provides, truckers and definitely can’t forget the heroes at the supermarkets.

They are crushing it. All of them.

So grateful.
I like to call out care home workers. They are looking after the most vulnerable members of society, but seem to have been overlooked in the media appreciation
Old 30 March 2020, 03:51 AM   #4363
Rolexatlast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
https://www.healthsystemtracker.org/...l-surgery-2015

What I see? The US does worse with preventable diseases, mainly due to obesity (in the US, morbid obesity, not starvation, is killing the poor). It does better than most in treating the difficult cases. If you have cancer, the US is a great place to have it treated (with and without insurance- contrary to what is advertised, not having health insurance does not mean you don’t get healthcare like everybody else. It means you have to talk to a social worker). If your wife is delivering three months early, the US is a great place to have a baby.
Out of curiosity, what are the arrangements for payment in the US?

If you don’t have insurance, and cannot afford treatment, who pays the bill?
Old 30 March 2020, 03:52 AM   #4364
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexatlast View Post
I like to call out care home workers. They are looking after the most vulnerable members of society, but seem to have been overlooked in the media appreciation
Absolutely!!!!!

And let’s call out all others that aren’t listed.

Old 30 March 2020, 03:52 AM   #4365
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Quote:

Opinions sometimes feel like facts. And sometimes opinions are mixed in with facts.

This thread is sharing mostly opinions and hopes. With little in the way of facts. It’s still nice to me able to chat and debate and learn.

Well said

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
Old 30 March 2020, 03:53 AM   #4366
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

On the positive note, my aunts fever has broken and she’s feeling much better.

And an old friend and his wife, both heavy and both heavy smokers, who tested positive and have been feeling ill for a week are both on the mend. Fevers gone and feeling better.

Old 30 March 2020, 04:12 AM   #4367
jatco
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:

And an old friend and his wife, both heavy and both heavy smokers, who tested positive and have been feeling ill for a week are both on the mend. Fevers gone and feeling better.
That... is good news. Hope it continues to recovery..

' A Crown for every achievement '
Old 30 March 2020, 04:17 AM   #4368
Derbyshere
Banned

I saw this covid19 event in a movie sometime ago. Name of the movie is THE SECRET TERRIER. Try and watch the episode 10 of season 1. Fast forward to the 53rd minute of the movie if you don’t have time to start from the beginning. Goes a long way to say that this whole thing was intentional but I can’t say from who and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30 March 2020, 04:18 AM   #4369
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Quote:

Glad to hear your aunt is feeling better, Seth.

Does anyone know if there is going to be a coronavirus task force press event today? I know they skipped on doing one yesterday but was not sure if they were planning on holding one today. Curious to see what recommendations they come up with that were mentioned during Friday's conference.
Old 30 March 2020, 04:23 AM   #4370
statsman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexatlast View Post
Out of curiosity, what are the arrangements for payment in the US?

If you don’t have insurance, and cannot afford treatment, who pays the bill?
There is a program called “Medicaid”, a poor substitute for insurance for the poor, paid for by the government. It pays providers well below market rate, so many do not accept it.

If someone does not have Medicaid, does not have a doctor nearby, and has no insurance, there are county hospitals. County hospitals are operated by the county, and treat everybody. If you have insurance or the ability to pay, you pay. If you don’t, they treat you anyway. County hospitals do all the things other hospitals do, but tend to be a little rougher, as the poor citizens and undocumented immigrants use their ER in lieu of a regular doctor’s clinic. If someone goes to a county hospital and needs something not provided there, the doctor refers them and the social worker makes it happen.

I live in Arlington, Texas. There is a very good children’s hospital in nearby Fort Worth. My newborn daughter’s life was saved there when she was an infant. There was no distinguishing in care or treatment between any of the children- insured or not. As there shouldn’t be. I don’t know if doctors in hospitals are aware of who does and doesn’t have insurance, but they sure act like they don’t know (or care).
Old 30 March 2020, 04:28 AM   #4371
Deepsea Florida
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derbyshere View Post
I saw this covid19 event in a movie sometime ago. Name of the movie is THE SECRET TERRIER. Try and watch the episode 10 of season 1. Fast forward to the 53rd minute of the movie if you don’t have time to start from the beginning. Goes a long way to say that this whole thing was intentional but I can’t say from who and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think I saw the sequel, THE UNKNOWN POODLE.
Old 30 March 2020, 04:33 AM   #4372
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Sorry to say most of your comment is uncalled for and kind of offensive to about half of us here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
Let's keep it positive, no need for this. I'm following this thread like others to learn and stay updated, there's some excellent commentary here.
Didn't mean to offend anyone, I'm sorry if I did.
Old 30 March 2020, 04:46 AM   #4373
Prettythings
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry The Interest View Post
Glad to hear your aunt is feeling better, Seth.

Does anyone know if there is going to be a coronavirus task force press event today? I know they skipped on doing one yesterday but was not sure if they were planning on holding one today. Curious to see what recommendations they come up with that were mentioned during Friday's conference.
Scheduled for 5:00pm eastern.
Old 30 March 2020, 04:48 AM   #4374
Uggi
Banned

Quote:

Great post. What will come out of this is how deficient MOST of our nations' health care systems are. Trying to score points is futile when we're all losers in this. No country is doing a great job with Covid19 apart from the ones who slowed it down quickly in the East.
Old 30 March 2020, 04:57 AM   #4375
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Didn't mean to offend anyone, I'm sorry if I did.
We might be too fat Bas but you Dutch are too tall. Very embarrassing
Old 30 March 2020, 05:00 AM   #4376
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
We might be too fat Bas but you Dutch are too tall. Very embarrassing
Yes we are lol (except for me, I am just average here at 6'0'')
Old 30 March 2020, 05:04 AM   #4377
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
This is great to hear

Quote:

If you listen to the news, it seems like everyone who is older or has a pre-existing condition goes straight to the respirator.
Old 30 March 2020, 05:07 AM   #4378
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
If you listen to the news, it seems like everyone who is older or has a pre-existing condition goes straight to the respirator.
I did not know that. Thank you for that information. I’m begging my mother to stay in her house up in Maine. She is 76 years old with COPD.

Problem is she’s also extremely healthy other than her COPD and she wants to get out and see people. So far she has stayed home. We’re blessed to have friends to bring her groceries.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 30 March 2020, 05:11 AM   #4379
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I can’t help but think of Happy Gilmore in these times.

Old 30 March 2020, 05:19 AM   #4380
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I don’t believe that ranking for a second I’m confident came from some biased outfit. Can we stop bashing the United States on this thread please? I have a line of friends from Europe that when they lived here loved our medical system better than their own. That’s not what this thread is about.
My son is working in New Jersey (Jersey City), he is and I am very confident in the professionalism and the skill of the US system, it would be nice if he were closer home in these times but I am happy that he is somewhere he loves.

I am in awe of medical staff the world over, thanks to all of them.

DAVE

Closed Thread