The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 3 April 2020, 12:45 PM   #4921
makak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvh View Post
Well this seems to be a big part of the problem:

"By the end of the day, roughly 280 million masks from warehouses around the U.S. had been purchased by foreign buyers and were earmarked to leave the country, according to the broker — and that was in one day."

Link

Ben
In February, a Chinese company based in Australia basically bought 30 million (which would've been enough for 1 per Australian) N95 masks, as well as 90 tonnes of medical supplies and shipped them back to China. Disgusting that it happened and we allowed it to happen. Those same N95 masks that should be available for $5 each are now being sold for $20 and guess where they're coming from? Makes me ropable
Old 3 April 2020, 01:01 PM   #4922
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
So did 4g and 3g testing cause previous coronavirus outbreaks?
the EMF rating doesn't suggest it as I understand.

Here's another article praising the power of 5G warding
off pigs... in South Korea at the Olympics...

https://www.businesslive.co.za/bd/bu...nter-olympics/
Old 3 April 2020, 01:05 PM   #4923
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by makak View Post
In February, a Chinese company based in Australia basically bought 30 million (which would've been enough for 1 per Australian) N95 masks, as well as 90 tonnes of medical supplies and shipped them back to China. Disgusting that it happened and we allowed it to happen. Those same N95 masks that should be available for $5 each are now being sold for $20 and guess where they're coming from? Makes me ropable
International trade is now under a microscope. One cool thing about the US administration is that it includes plenty of young people, several of whom I am fortunate enough to know. They're furious.. and also can't get much public traction on the issue. If you play tough with trade, you're evil, nationalist, racist, etc. But if you play nice, it can result in nurses wearing trash bags, in which case you're also the worst ever.

I hope and pray that logic prevails
Old 3 April 2020, 01:07 PM   #4924
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
Makak - The export of those medical supplies is analogous to the infinitely more serious export of technological research done in the financially-compromised Australian Universities that have research/funding and academic links with the PRC through networks of companies, universities and military research institutions. Read Clive Hamilton's "Silent Invasion" if you want to be shocked.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Old 3 April 2020, 01:18 PM   #4925
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

3M and others need to set up a direct purchase system for the US government, just like defense contractors do. We don't buy F-35 fighters from a distributor.

These are needed for national defense. The normal commerce system is broken as even the hospitals can't buy them through channels as the AD's are selling these through brokers to the highest bidder.

At this point, i wonder if Jomashop could get masks faster than any hospital in NYC...
Old 3 April 2020, 01:32 PM   #4926
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
3M and others need to set up a direct purchase system for the US government, just like defense contractors do. We don't buy F-35 fighters from a distributor.

These are needed for national defense. The normal commerce system is broken as even the hospitals can't buy them through channels as the AD's are selling these through brokers to the highest bidder.

At this point, i wonder if Jomashop could get masks faster than any hospital in NYC...
a few days ago I talked to a friend who sat on the national security council (He's not on it right now). What I was told is that it can't all be set up overnight. Kicking out the old middlemen seems simple, but it's not. If it takes 3 weeks, that's 3 weeks too long. So those old distribution channels are still in place. Yet the market demand has changed so much that the channels aren't working as hoped/expected... All I can say is, the fix isn't that simple, but a lot of the decision makers have ideas very close to your post.
Old 3 April 2020, 01:36 PM   #4927
RWH
"TRF" Member

Quote:

China has imposed heavy restrictions on mask exports. I've been working with my relative in China who has access to large scale production. I've been working all day to set up a logistics channel to import masks from this manufacturer. The manufacturer has connections in the ministry of foreign affairs in China so they can skirt around the export customs. I'm trying to secure 50k N95s for New York. Either for Northwell health or the city government. If I can get it done then I might be able to supply over half a million masks through my channel in a month.
Old 3 April 2020, 01:54 PM   #4928
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWH View Post
China has imposed heavy restrictions on mask exports. I've been working with my relative in China who has access to large scale production. I've been working all day to set up a logistics channel to import masks from this manufacturer. The manufacturer has connections in the ministry of foreign affairs in China so they can skirt around the export customs. I'm trying to secure 50k N95s for New York. Either for Northwell health or the city government. If I can get it done then I might be able to supply over half a million masks through my channel in a month.
That is spectacular work.
Old 3 April 2020, 02:01 PM   #4929
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWH View Post

I wish you success in the effort.

For a few days I have mentioned many people could make do with a basic mask. I take it all back...

Tonight on ABC they highlighted a small hospital just a couple of hours SW of ATL. A nurse can’t put on a basic mask straight. And a recovering, but still shedding coronavirus, patient hasn’t a clue.

Screenshots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 3 April 2020, 02:04 PM   #4930
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
a few days ago I talked to a friend who sat on the national security council (He's not on it right now). What I was told is that it can't all be set up overnight. Kicking out the old middlemen seems simple, but it's not. If it takes 3 weeks, that's 3 weeks too long. So those old distribution channels are still in place. Yet the market demand has changed so much that the channels aren't working as hoped/expected... All I can say is, the fix isn't that simple, but a lot of the decision makers have ideas very close to your post.
So essentially this is what is happeing.

3M > Distributor > Broker > Biggest Payer

This is very much like the Rolex issues with AD selling directly to Grays, who then mark it up and offer it to the market at much higher prices.

In the case of the masks, the brokers buy the masks straight from the distributors and the hospitals get cut out. The brokers then sell overseas because they bypass all the price gouging laws and just sell the masks to anyone with cash.

I don't sense any political sway in this video, it just tells it like it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsmKvC7RpEQ

See the problem is that 3M doesn't have any real pressuring leverage against them except for nasty press, but that isn't really getting out.

BUT the leverage against 3M is through their retail channels, namely Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart..

SO....if the government set up accounts to buy the masks through the retail channels, the retailers would then leverage ALL their existing and future 3M business against them...in other words, we get all your masks or you lose EVERYTHING you sell through our big and numerous box stores. That will get 3M's attention very quickly. The masks hopefully would end up in the "right" places...
Old 3 April 2020, 02:11 PM   #4931
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
So essentially this is what is happeing.

3M > Distributor > Broker > Biggest Payer

This is very much like the Rolex issues with AD selling directly to Grays, who then mark it up and offer it to the market.

In the case of the masks, the brokers buy the masks straight from the distributors and the hospitals get cut out. The brokers then sell overseas because they bypass all the price gouging laws and just sell the masks to anyone with cash.

I don't sense any political sway in this video, it just tells it like it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsmKvC7RpEQ

See the problem is that 3M doesn't have any leverage against them except for nasty press, but that isn't really getting out.

BUT the leverage against 3M is through their retail channels, namely Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart..

SO....if the government set up accounts to buy the masks through the retail channels, the retailers would leverage ALL 3M business against them...in other words, we get all your masks or you lose EVERYTHING you sell through our boxes. That will get their attention very quickly.
So I accept your whole argument. The counter is that the logistics of the gov't buying the masks and distrbuting them to thousands of hospitals are not easy. The military is good at logistics, but there's deep reluctance to rely too heavily on the military, because it'd leave us vulnerable to attack. The threats are real, and the enemies will strike when we seem weakest.

The straightforward answer is to nationalize 3M right now. Pay the shareholders a fair price and let them move on. I have no problem with that. I tried to push that point and couldn't get a straight answer on it. My personal opinion is that nationalization of any private business would lead to serious capital flight. We have very weak capital controls, because people generally want to keep their wealth in the USA. But that could backfire badly.
Old 3 April 2020, 02:18 PM   #4932
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So I accept your whole argument. The counter is that the logistics of the gov't buying the masks and distrbuting them to thousands of hospitals are not easy. The military is good at logistics, but there's deep reluctance to rely too heavily on the military, because it'd leave us vulnerable to attack. The threats are real, and the enemies will strike when we seem weakest.

The straightforward answer is to nationalize 3M right now. Pay the shareholders a fair price and let them move on. I have no problem with that. I tried to push that point and couldn't get a straight answer on it. My personal opinion is that nationalization of any private business would lead to serious capital flight. We have very weak capital controls, because people generally want to keep their wealth in the USA. But that could backfire badly.
I do agree with the logistical challenges you mention being a real hurdle..

I also agree with nationalizing the business, which would be the ultimate option...I went with retail pressure as I have seen HD play the “do what we tell you to or else” card personally and it gets results in very short order.

But as you stated, what happens next....maybe the retailers distribute the masks?

Idk...interesting discussion though...
Old 3 April 2020, 03:02 PM   #4933
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
As I’ve told some of you before my wife is a scientist at the University of South Florida in Tampa. Here is an interesting and brief summary from the dean of medicine at USF. It’s his opinion on how we can get out of this. Anyway I know most of you only accept information from scientists so here is one. His ideas and timeline seem pretty reasonable to me.

https://www.tampabay.com/opinion/202...rles-lockwood/
Good link, we need to quarantine the vulnerable and those that test negative go back to work, with common sense precautions. We already have shipping companies and groceries working with those precautions, and they're not suffering mass virus outbreaks.
Old 3 April 2020, 03:54 PM   #4934
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It looks like they got a deal worked out through FEMA..

https://www.startribune.com/trump-in...sks/569337532/

Let's see how this works out.
Old 3 April 2020, 04:27 PM   #4935
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstarmar View Post
the EMF rating doesn't suggest it as I understand.

Here's another article praising the power of 5G warding

off pigs... in South Korea at the Olympics...

https://www.businesslive.co.za/bd/bu...nter-olympics/
Phrase keep this conspiracy theories out of TRF. I'm pretty sure you can find lots of Facebook pages or conspiracy websites where other people who share your beliefs will enjoy your posts. Thank you.

Inviato dal mio SM-T719 utilizzando Tapatalk
Old 3 April 2020, 08:11 PM   #4936
superstarmar
Banned

PHP Code:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post
Phrase keep this conspiracy theories out of TRF. I'm pretty sure you can find lots of Facebook pages or conspiracy websites where other people who share your beliefs will enjoy your posts. Thank you.

Inviato dal mio SM-T719 utilizzando Tapatalk
This article is not on Facebook!
I don’t even use Facebook...
It was published in a business journal.
Conspiracy theory ? Says who , you ?
Thanks for your input but I don’t believe we’ve
reached the point where one make a decision
for all on what to believe or not believe.
Have we ? I though that it is a personal choice?
Now, I can not tell you how many threads and
postings I found on TRF over the years
I didn’t agree with or was to my liking .
I simply passed it by and went to another threat.
Please don’t make a decision for everyone else
except yourself .

Have a wonderful day my friend ...
Old 3 April 2020, 08:20 PM   #4937
greggsiam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstarmar View Post
This article is not on Facebook!
It was published in a business journal.
Conspiracy theory ? Says who , you ?
Please don’t make a decision for everyone else
except yourself .

Have a wonderful day my friend ...
5G conspiracy theories are nonsense
https://inews.co.uk/news/technology/...lained-2525663
Old 3 April 2020, 08:24 PM   #4938
superstarmar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggsiam View Post
5G conspiracy theories are nonsense
https://inews.co.uk/news/technology/...lained-2525663
Ok ...

I saw lots of those type of articles myself.
Thanks for informing me . I have now
been educated... Carry on ...
Old 3 April 2020, 08:28 PM   #4939
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
Good link, we need to quarantine the vulnerable and those that test negative go back to work, with common sense precautions. We already have shipping companies and groceries working with those precautions, and they're not suffering mass virus outbreaks.
Could those who tested negative one day test positive the following day?

Old 3 April 2020, 08:35 PM   #4940
BreguetRolex
Banned

Watch: TIMEX
So wife and I have been at our winter condo in Sri Lanka since mid october and was scheduled to arrive back in Ohio on the 14th of April. I received notice from airline that all flights are cancelled UFN out of Sri Lanka and in return and that our flight would be scheduled for a future flight when permitted..:) No problem but grass will need cutting and still to have filed US Taxes....Sri Lanka will extent our visas as needed and we are under a 24 hour mandatory curfew. Sri lanka has 152 cases as of today with our 4th death here on the Island.

I feel we are better off just hanging out here until this settles down a bit. We have excess heat of over 100F every single day with temps that do not dip below 78F at night.. Could this heat be a factor or just another myth..? Were fine and very content even under curfew. I am hoping this does not all of a sudden explode into a disaster here on The Emerald Isle of the Indian Ocean..
Old 3 April 2020, 09:11 PM   #4941
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Could those who tested negative one day test positive the following day?
And .... if you contract the virus and don’t get sick, has your immune system built a defense or can you contract it at a later date?
Old 3 April 2020, 09:43 PM   #4942
Beo3
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreguetRolex View Post
So wife and I have been at our winter condo in Sri Lanka since mid october and was scheduled to arrive back in Ohio on the 14th of April. I received notice from airline that all flights are cancelled UFN out of Sri Lanka and in return and that our flight would be scheduled for a future flight when permitted..:) No problem but grass will need cutting and still to have filed US Taxes....Sri Lanka will extent our visas as needed and we are under a 24 hour mandatory curfew. Sri lanka has 152 cases as of today with our 4th death here on the Island.

I feel we are better off just hanging out here until this settles down a bit. We have excess heat of over 100F every single day with temps that do not dip below 78F at night.. Could this heat be a factor or just another myth..? Were fine and very content even under curfew. I am hoping this does not all of a sudden explode into a disaster here on The Emerald Isle of the Indian Ocean..
Marine - I wish you and your bride a healthy extended stay in your adopted country.

Screw the grass and trust me, the IRS wont let you forget about your taxes.

Enjoy the warm weather and the Misses company.

You are much better staying put.
Old 3 April 2020, 10:25 PM   #4943
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
So many stories of friends getting sick.

Friends losing loved ones.

Omega boutique in Hackensack is closing it’s doors for good.

Endless challenges daily.

NY and NJ are no joke right now.

It’s time to fight like never before. And this will be a long drawn out fight against an enemy we can’t see.

Must stay positive at all costs. Must not let this defeat us. Let’s go!!!

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 3 April 2020, 10:37 PM   #4944
greggsiam
"TRF" Member

As for the 5G, a nice summary from a Redditor

Quote:
Tinfoil hat wearers will wear tin foil hats. This is just the latest of "theories". This one comes from a misconception about how radiation works. Most of the radio spectrum is harmless, which includes visible light, radio waves, microwaves, ect. The only harmful part of the radiation spectrum is the highest energy ionizing radiation, which is stuff like alpha, beta, gamma, ect. particles which have enough energy to knock off electrons from atoms. This can cause DNA damage. 5g is far from ionizing radiation, but when people hear that 5g is "radioactive" they freak out. Like most conspiracy theories, it's a basic misunderstanding (and mistrust when corrected) of the science behind it. It doesn't help that there's """"studies""" floating around that say that 5g causes brain cancer in infants. These aren't real studies but they look real enough to fool some people.

That's the gist. I'm sure there's some other sub categories of conspiracy theorists that think it's a form of population control, or mind control or whatever, but that's a majority of them. They think that it's the bad kind of radiation when it's not.
Old 3 April 2020, 11:02 PM   #4945
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
So many stories of friends getting sick.

Friends losing loved ones.

Omega boutique in Hackensack is closing it’s doors for good.

Endless challenges daily.

NY and NJ are no joke right now.

It’s time to fight like never before. And this will be a long drawn out fight against an enemy we can’t see.

Must stay positive at all costs. Must not let this defeat us. Let’s go!!!
Agree Seth. We've picked a horse. Don't change midstream without giving this plan a chance with everything we have.

Stay safe.
Old 3 April 2020, 11:08 PM   #4946
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Agree Seth. We've picked a horse. Don't change midstream without giving this plan a chance with everything we have.

Stay safe.
They are not going to change course. In fact I think there’s very good odds of them extending this well past May 1.

I bet somewhere around April 28th we will see a press conference and the vice president holding up a sign that says “30 more days to kill the virus” or something like that.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 3 April 2020, 11:46 PM   #4947
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreguetRolex View Post

Tax day extended to July 15th.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 4 April 2020, 12:03 AM   #4948
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
On a positive note a 104 year old WWII veteran survives COVID-19.

https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/1...ates-birthday/
Old 4 April 2020, 12:33 AM   #4949
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgodiving View Post
On a positive note a 104 year old WWII veteran survives COVID-19.

https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/1...ates-birthday/
Incredible...
Old 4 April 2020, 12:36 AM   #4950
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: with confusion
I believe we are wasting our time self isolating and all we are doing is prolonging this crisis though it may save lives - may being the operative word once all are tallied.

At the rate of infection it would seem we will need to isolate for several months or until a vaccine is found – this duration is not possible.

Already, after a couple of weeks, economies are badly damaged – we simply cannot go on indefinitely.

We are crippling our businesses and economies and the subsequent death toll (other from the virus) will already be enormous.

(I can't see any reason why my opinion or adding this to the discussion should violate forum rules?)
Closed Thread