The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 29 February 2020, 04:59 PM   #511
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleB View Post
I’m based in Asia and the media here has been reporting since Chinese New Year about this as it’s a deadly virus and you can carry and spread it for 14 days without having any symptoms.

I work for a US based company and was surprised that my US based colleagues were quite uninformed about the situation and asked us to travel to places that we were told to avoid (Singapore, Korea, Hong Kong).

Only a month later after it started to affect ‘the West’ (Italy) and also Korea and Japan seemed to have a hard time controlling the situation, did your media pick up on it, because the stock markets started to be affected.

I don’t see how that gets people to think that ‘the media’ wants to crash the economy.

I think in the US, people’s minds are too clouded with politics to see things for the way they really are any more...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very true.

Crowbaring a political slant is way to add comfort I suppose...
Old 29 February 2020, 05:26 PM   #512
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
We just got word from VMA (Veterinary Medical Association) that this is going on in China. Again, the VMA assures us not to be concerned about transmission from dogs or cats to humans. I, nor my staff and colleagues were never concerned about it, and the VMA has reinforced it.
Thank you again. Terribly sad what is happening right now.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Old 29 February 2020, 05:28 PM   #513
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Make sure they are N95 masks. Most common N95 masks are from 3M

There are zero to be found. Unless you want to pay >$45 a piece for one.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Old 29 February 2020, 05:29 PM   #514
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Make sure they are N95 masks. Most common N95 masks are from 3M

Yes, 3M N95 surgical masks. They are on allotment to us, but we have plenty (God willing).
Old 29 February 2020, 09:11 PM   #515
emersm
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Yes, 3M N95 surgical masks. They are on allotment to us, but we have plenty (God willing).
I have 3m N95 masks for my employees, but they are the particulate masks for construction. I would assume they would be equally effective as the surgical masks?
Old 29 February 2020, 09:32 PM   #516
77T
2024 Pledge Member

the Coronavirus outbreak thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by emersm View Post
I have 3m N95 masks for my employees, but they are the particulate masks for construction. I would assume they would be equally effective as the surgical masks?

N95 is the same (functionally) no matter what it is used for.

The 'N95' designation means that when tested, the respirator blocks 95% of 0.3 micron test particles.

The part many don’t understand is they are single use for the purpose of contagion protection. In that context, the user will eventually have a mask that is carrying pathogens on its outer surface. One touch and you have contact transmission opportunity.

So a medical professional can go through them faster than a construction worker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 29 February 2020, 09:41 PM   #517
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Shifting gears to scumbags - (who can’t resist a good scumbag forum beat down?)

Here in NW ATL area, the increased surgical mask use by people has been leveraged by a bank robber...

https://www.11alive.com/mobile/artic...5-76e354225834

If he had tried this 2 months ago, he’d have stood out like a sore thumb.

Old 29 February 2020, 09:43 PM   #518
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
I’m based in Asia and the media here has been reporting since Chinese New Year about this as it’s a deadly virus and you can carry and spread it for 14 days without having any symptoms.

I work for a US based company and was surprised that my US based colleagues were quite uninformed about the situation and asked us to travel to places that we were told to avoid (Singapore, Korea, Hong Kong).

Only a month later after it started to affect ‘the West’ (Italy) and also Korea and Japan seemed to have a hard time controlling the situation, did your media pick up on it, because the stock markets started to be affected.

I don’t see how that gets people to think that ‘the media’ wants to crash the economy.

I think in the US, people’s minds are too clouded with politics to see things for the way they really are any more...

Apparently you don’t understand the US media. Don’t feel bad about that, it seems most Americans don’t really understand the media. If you study them for a while like I have you’d absolutely 100% know what’s on their mind all the time and it’s not coronavirus. Coronavirus is nothing more than a tool for them to manipulate a desired outcome.

Anyway that’s not important. What’s important is what they’re doing is affecting the economy. I find it silly so many here are saying the media didn’t cause the stock market crash when I can literally link dozens of articles stating just that. People get their news from the media. It’s the media saying this is the end of the world. You obviously want to dump all your stocks when it’s the end of the world because of self-preservation. Certainly economical self-preservation takes precedence in these situations right? It’s the natural human order to think of oneself first. All I’m saying is there’s a proper time to react and this isn’t it. I’m not saying it won’t happen it looks like it just might. All I’m saying is that it’s too late now to avoid any economical consequences because the media has already committed itself to that. So if the coronavirus doesn’t hit the United States and kill thousands of people then one could say the millions of people that are going to lose their jobs over the course of the next six months have done so for nothing. Make no mistake when the stock market drops 10 to 15% like it has people are going to lose jobs. Livelihoods and families will be affected. I do understand with the supply chain interrupted from China that’s definitely going to affect some stocks and so even in the current situation without media influence we had to have some stock changes. Look at Apple. I saw an interview with their CEO Tim Cook and he doesn’t seem to be worried about the long-term effects of this and they are arguably the best run company in the world. Yet we still see utter chaos in the stock market as a whole and we are starting to see panic in the US.

I have used hurricanes as an example on why the media hypes things up and causes economical damage. When a hurricane forms in the Atlantic and approaches the United States absolutely no one knows where it’s going to go. I realize the scientists try to make people think they have a good idea but I’ve been watching these things for 30 years and they are wrong 100% of the time as to their initial thoughts of where it will land. Absolutely every time they are wrong. Nothing wrong with that of course however when the media beats the drums early they literally get the entire Southeast United States in an economic downturn until the storm finally does land. When all they really need to do is wait until about three days out and then they have about an 80% accuracy as to within 200 miles where it will hit. And they can warn the people in that area and people can start to evacuate. That’s exactly how they used to do it in the 90’s. But then the media discovered Hurricane Katrina and the awesome power the media can weld using hurricanes in the future. The rest is history. Now every named storm that comes near the US the media goes into an absolute frenzy. It’s starting to work that way even with snow storms now in the north east where I grew up. I apologize for the long read but for the last several pages of this thread I’ve been making my case that the media is dangerous and it gets worse every year. They are absolutely biased and have an agenda and if you don’t see that you are either not paying attention or you don’t want to see it.

I hope everyone stays safe and I pray this virus does not hit the United States or any other country in the world in a hard way like it has China. I pray this thing goes away as soon as possible. I appreciate everyone’s comments on this thread and there’s certainly no reason to fight over this. Human life is precious and so is the economic stability of our country(s) and our families. Let’s do our best stay calm and act rational so we can do as little unnecessary damage as possible.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 29 February 2020, 09:44 PM   #519
emersm
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

The 'N95' designation means that when tested, the respirator blocks 95% of 0.3 micron test particles.

The part most don’t understand is they are single use for the purpose of contagion protection. In that context, the user will eventually have a mask that is carrying pathogens on its outer surface. One touch and you have contact transmission opportunity.

So a medical professional can go through them faster than a construction worker.

I have a few boxes in stock, but it sounds like I would need MUCH more inventory if they are for single use.

Thanks for the information.
Old 29 February 2020, 09:55 PM   #520
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emersm View Post
I have a few boxes in stock, but it sounds like I would need MUCH more inventory if they are for single use.

Thanks for the information.

I should elaborate - single use meant disposable. If I was doing construction and wanted dust control alone then I could use it for a week perhaps.

But if one was in ER intake dealing solely with suspected COVID-19 infected people - then I might go through more than 2 per day.

Old 29 February 2020, 09:58 PM   #521
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:

Most of the US media, and Canadian media would love to see the stock market take a huge tumble in the next half year. This outbreak is a good excuse for them to use to ins-till fear to see that happen.
Old 29 February 2020, 10:16 PM   #522
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

The part many don’t understand is they are single use for the purpose of contagion protection. In that context, the user will eventually have a mask that is carrying pathogens on its outer surface. One touch and you have contact transmission opportunity.

The US surgeon general just told the public to stop buying masks because they don’t work against coronavirus. He just tweeted about it.

Instagram - patton250
Old 29 February 2020, 10:22 PM   #523
emersm
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
The US surgeon general just told the public to stop buying masks because they don’t work against coronavirus. He just tweeted about it.
I read a similar article.

The supply of respirators where I live is very low/depleted. I spent the whole week tracking down 3m respirators so that I would have enough to get through the next few months.
Old 29 February 2020, 10:46 PM   #524
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I can understand that because panicky hoarding can disrupt the supply/demand balance of need vs. want.

Many here are sane-minded and have understood that it is the infected ones who ought to wear the simple ear loop surgical mask to avoid spreading airborne pathogens.

The same mask worn by 300 million healthy ones is not that effective for many reasons. E.g., ranging from failure to filter the viral particles in aerosoled explosively sneezed output to poor hygiene habits and secondary sources of contagion.

Old 29 February 2020, 11:04 PM   #525
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Please forgive me, if I don't shake your hand....
Old 29 February 2020, 11:26 PM   #526
Yzord
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Gibeon watch
is is not a flu people, watch and hear this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtfqUtW_8AA
Old 29 February 2020, 11:50 PM   #527
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzord View Post
is is not a flu people, watch and hear this video.

You left out the emoji

Where is her tinfoil hat? 5-G creates infectious bats??? Who’d a thunk it?

But I do like FB blocking nutzo’s blathering on CV.

Old 29 February 2020, 11:51 PM   #528
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Apparently you don’t understand the US media. Don’t feel bad about that, it seems most Americans don’t really understand the media. If you study them for a while like I have you’d absolutely 100% know what’s on their mind all the time and it’s not coronavirus. Coronavirus is nothing more than a tool for them to manipulate a desired outcome.

Anyway that’s not important. What’s important is what they’re doing is affecting the economy. I find it silly so many here are saying the media didn’t cause the stock market crash when I can literally link dozens of articles stating just that. People get their news from the media. It’s the media saying this is the end of the world. You obviously want to dump all your stocks when it’s the end of the world because of self-preservation. Certainly economical self-preservation takes precedence in these situations right? It’s the natural human order to think of oneself first. All I’m saying is there’s a proper time to react and this isn’t it. I’m not saying it won’t happen it looks like it just might. All I’m saying is that it’s too late now to avoid any economical consequences because the media has already committed itself to that. So if the coronavirus doesn’t hit the United States and kill thousands of people then one could say the millions of people that are going to lose their jobs over the course of the next six months have done so for nothing. Make no mistake when the stock market drops 10 to 15% like it has people are going to lose jobs. Livelihoods and families will be affected. I do understand with the supply chain interrupted from China that’s definitely going to affect some stocks and so even in the current situation without media influence we had to have some stock changes. Look at Apple. I saw an interview with their CEO Tim Cook and he doesn’t seem to be worried about the long-term effects of this and they are arguably the best run company in the world. Yet we still see utter chaos in the stock market as a whole and we are starting to see panic in the US.

I have used hurricanes as an example on why the media hypes things up and causes economical damage. When a hurricane forms in the Atlantic and approaches the United States absolutely no one knows where it’s going to go. I realize the scientists try to make people think they have a good idea but I’ve been watching these things for 30 years and they are wrong 100% of the time as to their initial thoughts of where it will land. Absolutely every time they are wrong. Nothing wrong with that of course however when the media beats the drums early they literally get the entire Southeast United States in an economic downturn until the storm finally does land. When all they really need to do is wait until about three days out and then they have about an 80% accuracy as to within 200 miles where it will hit. And they can warn the people in that area and people can start to evacuate. That’s exactly how they used to do it in the 90’s. But then the media discovered Hurricane Katrina and the awesome power the media can weld using hurricanes in the future. The rest is history. Now every named storm that comes near the US the media goes into an absolute frenzy. It’s starting to work that way even with snow storms now in the north east where I grew up. I apologize for the long read but for the last several pages of this thread I’ve been making my case that the media is dangerous and it gets worse every year. They are absolutely biased and have an agenda and if you don’t see that you are either not paying attention or you don’t want to see it.

I hope everyone stays safe and I pray this virus does not hit the United States or any other country in the world in a hard way like it has China. I pray this thing goes away as soon as possible. I appreciate everyone’s comments on this thread and there’s certainly no reason to fight over this. Human life is precious and so is the economic stability of our country(s) and our families. Let’s do our best stay calm and act rational so we can do as little unnecessary damage as possible.

Here we go again. Folks, you just don't understand the media. Can we all, PLEASE, just agree with Mr. Patton...so he can be right. He's been studying for a while now.
Old 29 February 2020, 11:51 PM   #529
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Brett:

I enjoy your watch posts and respect your opinions about the same. I also enjoy you sense of humor.

However, I do not agree with your blanket statement. While I agree that there are a lot of bozo’s in the media (just like many other professions), not everyone reporter can be painted with this broad brush.

Nor do I believe that any ideological camp is any more immune from the pushing agendas and pandering to click bait, in general and specifically with regard to the corona virus.

To me, there appears to be people who want to magnify the problem and people who want to minimize the problem, both to further their own agendas and to get more clicks on their articles from their target base. Each of these groups of people are equally harmful to an informed public.

But there also appears to be those who are trying to ascertain the truth, no matter the effect on their agendas.

Same as it’s always been.
Old 29 February 2020, 11:55 PM   #530
Yzord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You left out the emoji

Where is her tinfoil hat? 5-G creates infectious bats??? Who’d a thunk it?

But I do like FB blocking nutzo’s blathering on CV.

You didnt even checked the movie...it takes an hour, you respond within 20 minutes
Old 29 February 2020, 11:57 PM   #531
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
You didnt even checked the movie...it takes an hour, you respond within 20 minutes

Oh, I did - your clickbaiting should be reported IMHO.

It took only 15 minutes for the BS meter to spike to 100...

Aren’t you ashamed?

Old 1 March 2020, 12:00 AM   #532
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Brett:

I enjoy your watch posts and respect your opinions about the same. I also enjoy you sense of humor.

However, I do not agree with your blanket statement. While I agree that there are a lot of bozo’s in the media (just like many other professions), not everyone reporter can be painted with this broad brush.

Nor do I believe that any ideological camp is any more immune from the pushing agendas and pandering to click bait, in general and specifically with regard to the corona virus.

To me, there appears to be people who want to magnify the problem and people who want to minimize the problem, both to further their own agendas and to get more clicks on their articles from their target base. Each of these groups of people are equally harmful to an informed public.

But there also appears to be those who are trying to ascertain the truth, no matter the effect on their agendas.

Very well stated.
Old 1 March 2020, 12:01 AM   #533
Yzord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Oh, I did - your clickbaiting should be reported IMHO.

It took only 15 minutes for the BS meter to spike to 100...

Aren’t you ashamed?

I am ashamed people do not even want to consider other facts then our media is trying to give us.

But go ahead, vaccinate your children...w'll see who will be ashamed.
Old 1 March 2020, 12:05 AM   #534
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Pic taken to Shibuya. My bet is they cancel or moved to 2021 unless vacine is available and that takes months
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4A9D2D3E-E780-45B6-8679-CF2602C430B8.jpeg (23.9 KB, 100 views)
Old 1 March 2020, 12:05 AM   #535
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I am ashamed people do not even want to consider other facts then our media is trying to give us.

But go ahead, vaccinate your children...w'll see who will be ashamed.

You’re welcome to believe anything and I respect that right.

But don’t label conspiracy theories as fact here on TRF - that belongs elsewhere IMHO.

After the first few minutes I found this background on that YT nut...

https://thenextweb.com/socialmedia/2...n-5g-internet/

After that is was clear what’s up...MMW causes CV? Not...

Old 1 March 2020, 12:07 AM   #536
Yzord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You’re welcome to believe anything and I respect that right.

But don’t label conspiracy theories as fact here on TRF - that belongs elsewhere IMHO.

After the first few minutes I found this background on that YT nut...

https://thenextweb.com/socialmedia/2...n-5g-internet/

After that is was clear what’s up...MMW causes CV? Not...

Maybe you would consider reading this one

https://blog.nomorefakenews.com/2020...hina-epidemic/

by Jon Rappoport.
Old 1 March 2020, 12:08 AM   #537
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I’m all for overreacting. Let’s take seriously now, when it’s easier to scale the solution.

I’m hearing from my friends who work for large care organizations that they are having supply issues....aka we are not prepared for a large scale problem.
Old 1 March 2020, 12:09 AM   #538
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
Here we go again. Folks, you just don't understand the media. Can we all, PLEASE, just agree with Mr. Patton...so he can be right. He's been studying for a while now.
Well admitting it is half the battle. Congratulations and thank you.

Instagram - patton250
Old 1 March 2020, 12:10 AM   #539
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Brett:

I appreciate that man. I guess I shouldn’t make a blanket statement. Let’s say 90% of the media is like I said. After all compromise is important.

Instagram - patton250
Old 1 March 2020, 12:14 AM   #540
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Sooo is everyone in the US already walking around with surgical masks?

Haven't seen one over here.