The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 2 March 2020, 10:10 PM   #661
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
I only pick my nose after I wash my hands now.

I also wipe down my keyboard and phone with alcohol rubs more frequently as I'll be able to pick my nose.

The masks prevent you from picking your face but as long as you wash your hands then it should be fine.

All fact.
Old 2 March 2020, 10:16 PM   #662
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
How do you know this?
Good summary here comparing the two.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/h...virus-flu.html
Old 2 March 2020, 10:19 PM   #663
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
Seems to be escalating in the UK, not sure what to make of it all.

Not concerned for myself, what will be will be but worry for older relatives and members of communities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2 March 2020, 10:23 PM   #664
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLurv View Post

I also wipe down my keyboard and phone with alcohol rubs more frequently as I'll be able to pick my nose.

The masks prevent you from picking your face but as long as you wash your hands then it should be fine.

All fact.
Learn to befriend a box of tissues.
Old 2 March 2020, 10:54 PM   #665
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Quote:
How do you know this?

Here’s where I read it’s 2x more contagious than the flu https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/h...virus-flu.html

Old 2 March 2020, 10:57 PM   #666
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:

All fact.
Wipe your phone with alcohol as well, I do that 2-3 times a week (before corona as well...), those things are nasty.
Old 2 March 2020, 11:06 PM   #667
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is also my opinion. A serious virus? Absolutely, but not worth the intensity and panic it has presented. More people die from the flu every year in the US alone.
100%. At first I was concerned and "worked up" but upon reflection and trying to keep the perspective i have to agree. 2009 H1N1 infected tens of millions and killed over 12K in the US alone. I can't recall but was there panic like today? I doubt it.
Old 2 March 2020, 11:25 PM   #668
MikeMike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
If you look at the mortality rate in China outside of Hubei, it is around 1%. The mortality rate due to flu in China is around 1.6-2.6%. There has been a mass overreaction by the media and certain governments. In saying this, places with inadequate health care facilities and/or large percentage of elderly (such as Iran and Northen Italy) will see higher mortality rates.

It is worse than the flu, but over 16,000 people have died this flu season in the US yet we don’t have travel bans and rolling coverage of the “killer flu”.

One other thing; it is continually being reported that China has over 80,000 cases. What is very rarely being reported is right now once you take in deaths and people recovered (over 44,500) there are less than 33,000 cases. And that number is dropping by about 2,000 per day.
Just updating this; at least 18,000 people have died due to the flu in the US since late September last year.
Old 2 March 2020, 11:48 PM   #669
StarvingBillionaire
Banned

I hope that this drive-through testing will be implemented in USA. The testing is free, and it looks quite ingenious:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/202...tl-ldn-vpx.cnn

Old 2 March 2020, 11:55 PM   #670
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
We are still in the early stages of spread. Now that cases are popping up with no known exposure, it’s getting more scary to me as a physician. As far as mortality rate goes, ask the two main docs treating patients in China. Oh wait, you can’t. They died of Coronavirus.
Old 3 March 2020, 12:01 AM   #671
Brew
"TRF" Member

I think we may be allowing the politics surrounding this virus drive the narrative in lieu of the science.
Old 3 March 2020, 12:02 AM   #672
H25B
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, SD43, OP31
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
We are still in the early stages of spread. Now that cases are popping up with no known exposure, it’s getting more scary to me as a physician. As far as mortality rate goes, ask the two main docs treating patients in China. Oh wait, you can’t. They died of Coronavirus.
Are you sure they died of the virus...? This would be the same country that when I travel to I assume my hotel room is bugged. Realistically, there’s no telling what they actually died from.
Old 3 March 2020, 12:03 AM   #673
Pantheon
Banned

Watch: VC and AP
First case in Manhattan officially confirmed. The woman picked it up from traveling to Iran
Old 3 March 2020, 12:04 AM   #674
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by H25B View Post
Are you sure they died of the virus...? This would be the same country that when I travel to I assume my hotel room is bugged. Realistically, there’s no telling what they actually died from.
They were probably 'silenced' by their own government.
Old 3 March 2020, 12:10 AM   #675
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I understand everyone has their own opinions on this but mine is that it’s already in pockets across the country and has been for a week or two. We’ve hardly tested anyone and the tests we are using here in the states appear to be less than ideal. I’m not smart enough to ascertain what that means from a healthcare standpoint but I believe it will continue to apply downward pressure to equities for the foreseeable future.
Old 3 March 2020, 12:14 AM   #676
Pantheon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
They were probably 'silenced' by their own government.
Wouldn't surprise me.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bus...h-2020-2%3famp

All the individuals in the article has been scrubbed from social media and internet existence in China. I asked a few people in China and they can't find any confirmation of existence on the individuals other than Li Wenliang the original whistleblower doctor
Old 3 March 2020, 12:42 AM   #677
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

All fact.
Old 3 March 2020, 12:55 AM   #678
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
I just wish we had more facts then opinions.

1. How contagious is it? I’ve seen opinions here that site use sources but I’ve also read other new sources contradicting those. The truth is no one knows right?
2. Rumor is if you catch it a second time the death rate is much higher? I have not heard that reported anywhere other than some small articles. That’s a very serious claim and can change the game totally. Is this true or not?
3. Serious lack of information on testing and the accuracy of testing. Also the incubation period in patients.

More information needed.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 3 March 2020, 12:58 AM   #679
Pantheon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I just wish we had more facts then opinions.

1. How contagious is it? I’ve seen opinions here that site use sources but I’ve also read other new sources contradicting those. The truth is no one knows right?
2. Rumor is if you catch it a second time the death rate is much higher? I have not heard that reported anywhere other than some small articles. That’s a very serious claim and can change the game totally. Is this true or not?
3. Serious lack of information on testing and the accuracy of testing. Also the incubation period in patients.

More information needed.
it doesn't help that China isn't letting in other countries to help study this disease. We will only be sure with time as I can say half of the information released by China should be taken with a grain of salt
Old 3 March 2020, 01:04 AM   #680
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
I’m extremely intrigued by the following:

1. Coronavirus virus per our health advisory is that it can only be spread with large droplets. But how did it spread so prevalently on the Diamond Princess if everyone was quarantined in their rooms? And what about other ways?

2. Reinfection has now been reported by enough nations to except it to be true. Apparently it can be even more damaging the second time around. Is this a time will tell or outliers? Also I’m curious about the long term lung, kidney and heart tissue damage.

3. Masks are completely useless. But we have seen them being used for years. It was also reported by our own health advisory that N95 are the only ones that would help protect you. Why the sudden change?
I believe the masks message is shifting simply because the US has about 1/6th of the inventory of N95 masks that would be needed to protect the population. They message that they’re not helpful seems directly tied to our ability to provide them for citizens and not creating panic. Seems like a very dangerous approach to me (my opinion). I believe the US is trying to save them for healthcare providers and other responders

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
Old 3 March 2020, 01:12 AM   #681
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
I don’t understand the resistance to accepting that a viral pandemic is a bad thing.
Old 3 March 2020, 01:42 AM   #682
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
I’m extremely intrigued by the following:

1. Coronavirus virus per our health advisory is that it can only be spread with large droplets. But how did it spread so prevalently on the Diamond Princess if everyone was quarantined in their rooms? And what about other ways?

2. Reinfection has now been reported by enough nations to except it to be true. Apparently it can be even more damaging the second time around. Is this a time will tell or outliers? Also I’m curious about the long term lung, kidney and heart tissue damage.

3. Masks are completely useless. But we have seen them being used for years. It was also reported by our own health advisory that N95 are the only ones that would help protect you. Why the sudden change?
1. Not disinfecting areas that were affected by infected people, thus someone who had to get their fresh air touched a railing and subsequently touched their face.

2. Believe that's only 1 case.

3. Masks are only good for colds. Not stopping virus. However, in Hong Kong 99/100 people will be wearing a mask, and the numbers out here has been relatively low compared to the super-spreaders across Iran and Italy (and now we see other European countries where cases are rising exponentially).

4. N95 masks are only effective until the filter wears off and you need to change that or get a new mask. Youre bound to run out eventually.
Old 3 March 2020, 01:51 AM   #683
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
I don’t understand the resistance to accepting that a viral pandemic is a bad thing.
I don’t see that. I also don’t feel that personally. I’m concerned. Very. Just not enough (yet) to destroy the world economy. That will hurt a lot more people.

Let me ask you. Do you believe that millions of US infections and hundreds of thousands of US deaths is inevitable?

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 3 March 2020, 02:05 AM   #684
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggo View Post
Seems to be escalating in the UK, not sure what to make of it all.

Not concerned for myself, what will be will be but worry for older relatives and members of communities.

Would hardly call it escalating total 36 known tested positive cases out of a population of around 65000000.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 3 March 2020, 02:05 AM   #685
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I understand everyone has their own opinions on this but mine is that it’s already in pockets across the country and has been for a week or two. We’ve hardly tested anyone and the tests we are using here in the states appear to be less than ideal. I’m not smart enough to ascertain what that means from a healthcare standpoint but I believe it will continue to apply downward pressure to equities for the foreseeable future.
This is the biggest issue in the US. The lack of testing.

Until the case in California the CDC said they have no evidence of community outbreaks, which wasn't a direct lie because they had ony tested 200 people in the entire US and none from California. You can't have evidence if you arent looking for it.

As of this morning the CDC have tested 472 people. This lack of testing is a serious concern.

The CDC are now going to allow lab tests for the virus (why they wouldn't before when the test kits were unreliable is still unknown) so we should see a major spike in US cases over the next few weeks, not neccessarily because of new cases but because the testing that should have been done weeks ago will finally begin in earnest.

This story is worth a read:
https://www.boston.com/news/health/2...r-weeks-in-u-s
Old 3 March 2020, 02:25 AM   #686
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

I think acceptance will require more time for public emotions to abate. Such outbreaks in the past (like Spanish Flu) May have come along coincidental with other, worse conditions like war, famine, pestilence, etc.

As we watch coronavirus virulence confound experts, and their relative inability to discern the microorganism’s ability to cause disease, it feeds escalating fears. Until “fear of fear itself” abates, we might see greater behavioral-based disease than actual COVID-19. There is no mask, or antiseptic or prophylactic available to block the stressors coming into every home via bad news.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 3 March 2020, 02:40 AM   #687
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
the Coronavirus outbreak thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Would hardly call it escalating total 36 known tested positive cases out of a population of around 65000000.

13 in one day is an escalation from the numbers it’s been in my book.

Also you used the word ‘known’, to think that is the actual total is crazy.

I hope you are right and I’m jumping on the media bandwagon and it’s not an issue

Old 3 March 2020, 02:51 AM   #688
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I am not a scientist, and I didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but the mask thing is ridiculous. A virus is microscopic, if Corona is airborne, it will go right through that mask and laugh at the wearer on the way in; completely useless. It just makes people look foolish.
Old 3 March 2020, 02:57 AM   #689
Deepsea Florida
"TRF" Member

Maybe it’s possible that the 2 doctors in Wuhan that died, got an overwhelming dose of the virus from all the infected people they were treating.

Just being in the hospital seems dangerous........filled with virus.
Old 3 March 2020, 02:57 AM   #690
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Again, H1N1 killed 12k+ Americans and infected 60 million in 2009. Where was the panic then? Not nearly the same. Hardly anyone even remembers. This panic is largely feud by the media and the sell off.
Closed Thread