The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 5 March 2020, 10:52 PM   #871
77T
2024 Pledge Member

the Coronavirus outbreak thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantheon View Post
Really?....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNABOD View Post
Chinese is an ethnic group
He won’t be back...my earlier advice fell on some deaf ears methinks. But I’m glad the thread has stayed open

On the sociological scale the concept of race often separates us more than it brings us together. In the last part of the 20th Century we began to understand this better - and stopped discriminating based on people’s appearance.

Overall, I think pointing at one nationality or another falls under political bias. And that can run afoul of TRF’s rules if it gets out of hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 5 March 2020, 11:00 PM   #872
zengineer
"TRF" Member

I am not a pathologist or doctor of any kind but I don't think anyone in the scientific community thinks it got to people because they ate raw bats.

It may have started in bats but it is 1000 times more likely that bats spread a form of it to pigs or other more mainstream animals. Bats are everywhere in China...people.eating them raw are not.

Sent from my Motorola Bag Phone
Old 5 March 2020, 11:03 PM   #873
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
He won’t be back...my earlier advice fell on some deaf ears methinks. But I’m glad the thread has stayed open

On the sociological scale the concept of race often separates us more than it brings us together. In the last part of the 20th Century we began to understand this better - and stopped discriminating based on people’s appearance.

Overall, I think pointing at one nationality or another falls under political bias. And that can run afoul of TRF’s rules if it gets out of hand.

Agreed , just seemed odd to me to react that way when a simple google search ....anyhow
back to covid 19 ...it sux but it isn’t stopping me from flying . Wash hands wear a max use proper hygiene etiquette , rest and don’t eat at the buffet
Old 5 March 2020, 11:16 PM   #874
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Mortality rates for influenza are fairly consistent at 0.01%. They are well known because patients presenting to their healthcare providers are routinely tested for the flu virus. The numbers of infected and the numbers who die from the flu are well known. Until routine testing of patients presenting with symptoms is done for Coronavirus as well, mortality estimates are basically guesses. But everything I’ve seen about the course of the disease once diagnosed shows it to be more serious and life-threatening than influenza.
Old 5 March 2020, 11:29 PM   #875
77T
2024 Pledge Member

When I traveled for my career, I made it through the last pandemic without the fuss I’m seeing around air travel now. We did embrace more video conferences - today Zoom, GoToMeeting, etc are soaring.

I’ve thought a little bit about the differences this time around.

I don’t recall people lining up for cases of bottled water, or “prepping” supplies last time.

I don’t recall the alarmist’s shrill predictions of humankind’s pending demise.

We now have reactions by an entire cohort who were teenagers last time - and they now shape their decisions primarily via social media.

This isn’t a slight towards Earth’s Millennials or Post-Millennials - but I do know that fear is spreading via SM faster than the actual virus itself.

Old 6 March 2020, 12:28 AM   #876
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNHC View Post
The article I read said 0.7%. Maybe 0.1% for USA and 0.7% worldwide? *shrug*
Death rate regardless of what it is (I trust WHO), depends on how successful treatments are. It was noted by WHO that rates in Wuhan would be higher but aren’t because the medical and healthcare system actually does an extremely good job saving and keeping patients alive. There are over 6,000+ patients that have been on life support for over 1-month in Wuhan. As stated by a physician there ‘Some patients have been holding on longer than others and would have typically died by now.’

The point I’m trying to make is that if you have a poor healthcare system or have overwhelmed facilities (regardless of country), the death rate could be far higher than proxy’s used. It also goes to say if you’re prepared and know how to fight it and successfully treat patients with an abundance of knowledge and methods the death rate can be lower.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Old 6 March 2020, 01:15 AM   #877
RNHC
Banned

Quote:
China is a mix of over 50 ethnic groups so don’t think you can say that Chinese is a race . Asian is a race Caucasian is a race etc...
Race is an outdated notion and term that's not very clear. We used to say Irish race, Italian race, etc. but I know what you mean. A concept of three races - black (Negroid), white (Caucasoid), and yellow (Mongoloid) - is an obsolete idea. It's clearer and more accurate to use nationality and ethnicity.
Old 6 March 2020, 01:17 AM   #878
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
.00008% of the population of China has contracted coronavirus.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 6 March 2020, 01:24 AM   #879
RNHC
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
I am not a pathologist or doctor of any kind but I don't think anyone in the scientific community thinks it got to people because they ate raw bats.

It may have started in bats but it is 1000 times more likely that bats spread a form of it to pigs or other more mainstream animals. Bats are everywhere in China...people.eating them raw are not.
Ate raw bats? What? The scientists tracking the coronavirus seemed to think people got it from eating snakes that eat bats. IIRC, SARS and MERS viruses originated from bats as well.
Old 6 March 2020, 01:34 AM   #880
RNHC
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
I saw this recently and I make no comment:
Not sure what your point is. Rodents and rodent-like creatures are and were eaten all over the world since the beginning of times. Romans ate dormouse. Brits eat rabbits and hares. Us 'Muricans eat squirrels in addition to rabbits. Peruvians eat guinea pigs. I am sure there are many other examples of people feasting on rodents.
Old 6 March 2020, 01:46 AM   #881
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
If this thread gets closed because some members want to stir the pot I’m going to be really perturbed.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Old 6 March 2020, 01:52 AM   #882
77T
2024 Pledge Member

the Coronavirus outbreak thread

I hope not - think Steve is willing to keep it open as long as it’s only one or two outliers who try to aggressively dominate the dialog with outrage.

If last night is any example, the antagonist was banned and the thread kept open.

But if we get off into political, racial, religious or other off-topic rants that require constant pruning - then it’s better to close a thread.

Old 6 March 2020, 02:08 AM   #883
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
.00008% of the population of China has contracted coronavirus.
I don't know about your figure, but, even assuming its accurate. Out of nearly 1.5 Billion people, that still makes a lot of people. No?

DAVE

Old 6 March 2020, 02:12 AM   #884
RNHC
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
If this thread gets closed because some members want to stir the pot I’m going to be really perturbed.
Understood. Went back and edited out what could be construed as polemics from my posts.
Old 6 March 2020, 02:12 AM   #885
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
I don't know about your figure, but, even assuming its accurate. Out of nearly 1.5 Billion people, that still makes a lot of people. No?
80,000-odd at the last WHO count.
Old 6 March 2020, 02:15 AM   #886
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Race is an outdated notion and term that's not very clear. We used to say Irish race, Italian race, etc. but I know what you mean. Since you appear to be subscribing to obsolete idea of three races - black (Negroid), white (Caucasoid), and yellow (Mongoloid) - I assume you received your education quite a while ago. It's clearer to use nationality and ethnicity.

Thanks , so you just decided that race is an obsolete notion and that somehow I was educated moons ago and therefore i must be a racist right ? Just because someone says one probably shouldn’t eat bats or pangolin in an environment where hygiene is poor makes that person a racist . Just love the holier than thou and finger pointers ..
Carry on
Old 6 March 2020, 02:19 AM   #887
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
80,000-odd at the last WHO count.
Yes, a high number, that is assuming the Chinese authorities have been up front with their numbers and after whole cities have been quarantined there. Imagine that number without any precautions or, as some in this thread have suggested, carry on as normal without any precautions whatsoever.

DAVE

Old 6 March 2020, 02:23 AM   #888
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quest Diagnostics will start testing for the coronavirus

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/05/ques...ronavirus.html

Quote:
Quest will begin receiving and testing specimens on Monday, March 9. The test will use respiratory specimens collected from hospitals and physicians, according to the company. Quest Diagnostics service centers do not collect respiratory specimens on suspected COVID-19 cases. Patients who have the virus or suspect they may be infected should consult with a physician on the best way to provide Quest with a speci
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 6 March 2020, 02:26 AM   #889
zengineer
"TRF" Member

It's about people in China, regardless of their race, religion, skin color, sexual orientation or political affiliation.

The virus don't care who your mama is.

Sent from my Motorola Bag Phone
Old 6 March 2020, 02:31 AM   #890
RNHC
Banned

Quote:
Thanks , so you just decided that race is an obsolete notion and that somehow I was educated moons ago and therefore i must be a racist right ? Just because someone says one probably shouldn’t eat bats or pangolin in an environment where hygiene is poor makes that person a racist . Just love the holier than thou and finger pointers ..
Carry on
Hey, I agree with you about the bats and pangolin and poor hygiene. I am just pointing out that "race" is an obsolete idea - and you give me too much credit. I am not the one who decided. Here's a good place to start:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_society
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(...ategorization))
Old 6 March 2020, 02:47 AM   #891
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Imagine how I feel! I'll never have a thread this popular on TRF ever again!
Old 6 March 2020, 02:55 AM   #892
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Anyone who's been to China knows that what they sometimes eat, we don't consider fit for human consumption; quite frankly, we will be disgusted by it.

It has nothing to do with race, but about the culture of which some parts of rural China is still left "behind".

If some of you have lived in Hong Kong (which until recent times received the most tourists from Mainland China), then you'd be seeing the news of incidents (can be quite frequent) of someone taking a dookie in the MTR (metro) or in public out on a road. For them that seems to be OK, but for "everyone else" that seems quite foreign wouldn't you say?

Seen the news that the Chinese government has now banned their people from eating everything with a pulse? That can explain the transition from animal to human - The virus didn't just fall from a blue sky.
Old 6 March 2020, 03:07 AM   #893
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
One in my home City of Cardiff, another back from Italy, why are they just letting so many just walk in from Italy, they know it’s a hotspot at the moment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6 March 2020, 03:13 AM   #894
RNHC
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggo View Post
One in my home City of Cardiff, another back from Italy, why are they just letting so many just walk in from Italy, they know it’s a hotspot at the moment!
"Keep Calm and Carry On." Dangers of coronavirus is overblown hype by the media. Sky is not falling.
Old 6 March 2020, 03:23 AM   #895
RNHC
Banned

Coronavirus mortality rate less than 1% says a leading doctor:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...th-rate-1.html

"The doctor slammed the ‘frightening numbers’ which he said are not only conflicting, but massively overstate the risk to people."
Old 6 March 2020, 03:28 AM   #896
BigBlue1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: it pal !
I don't know anyone personally who has or has had the Convid-19 but right now, may have been exposed due to colleagues who went to Italy and came back.
At the time they came back the Massachusettess Department of Public Health did not have the mandatory 14 Day self-quarantine in place.
This just took affect yesterday. Too little too late. In a situation like this, who do you blame?
No symptoms, no one thinks anything about.
I have no symptoms, some do, but seems to be regular flu like symptoms. The Convid is more respiratory.
I live on the east coast and seems to be more prevalent on the west.
It is kind of upsetting to say the least, just thinking of all those if I was to be infected, I came into contact with and whom I may have unknowingly exposed it too.
Again I think I am fine as well as my colleagues.
It is a thought that lingers though subconsciously for sure.
I personally think it is unfair to point and or call out an entire race.
I would just like to see just who and or what was responsible.
In the mean time I think this will be around for a while.
Wash your hands and do not touch your face.
I imagine the Inovio scientists are on this trying to come up with a vaccine. They got the SARS vaccine in 3 hours and had it manufactured in about a month.

P.S. The media is not helping at all.

Good Luck.

Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got
RIP Mikey
Old 6 March 2020, 03:35 AM   #897
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue1 View Post
I don't know anyone personally who has or has had the Convid-19 but right now, may have been exposed due to colleagues who went to Italy and came back.
At the time they came back the Massachusettess Department of Public Health did not have the mandatory 14 Day self-quarantine in place.
This just took affect yesterday. Too little too late. In a situation like this, who do you blame?
No symptoms, no one thinks anything about.
I have no symptoms, some do, but seems to be regular flu like symptoms. The Convid is more respiratory.
I live on the east coast and seems to be more prevalent on the west.
It is kind of upsetting to say the least, just thinking of all those if I was to be infected, I came into contact with and whom I may have unknowingly exposed it too.
Again I think I am fine as well as my colleagues.
It is a thought that lingers though subconsciously for sure.
I personally think it is unfair to point and or call out an entire race.
I would just like to see just who and or what was responsible.
In the mean time I think this will be around for a while.
Wash your hands and do not touch your face.
I imagine the Inovio scientists are on this trying to come up with a vaccine. They got the SARS vaccine in 3 hours and had it manufactured in about a month.

P.S. The media is not helping at all.

Good Luck.

I apologise, I wasn’t blaming Italy at all, just saying that if it’s a hotspot we should be checking and looking after those who are coming back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6 March 2020, 03:42 AM   #898
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Coronavirus mortality rate less than 1% says a leading doctor:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...th-rate-1.html

"The doctor slammed the ‘frightening numbers’ which he said are not only conflicting, but massively overstate the risk to people."
I'm not sure that the daily mail is the go to news source for info like this.
Old 6 March 2020, 03:50 AM   #899
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
I just love that there are people that consistently cry "fake news" and then they post a junk news source.

We should all just do our best to keep a level head through the situation, other than that most responses from government seem to be too little too late especially since symptoms don't show for roughly 14 days but can still be transferred to others.
Old 6 March 2020, 03:59 AM   #900
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
...or anything else.