The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 9 March 2020, 05:48 AM   #1111
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
I'm not convinced it's that simple. What do you think your odds are if you are near an infected person who sneezes? Cases are low in the US right now, but I think it will get worse before it gets better unfortunately. I'm taking it seriously so far. And with talk of potential permanent lung damage, and reading up on it, this day is now a major bummer for me

Catching it is one thing. It is quite low for the vast majority of us b

Our own immune systems and other coincidental health issues will dictate the level of damage. Remember the lung scar tissue you may have read about is a result of doctors not knowing a patients full history of other compromising lung diseases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 9 March 2020, 05:59 AM   #1112
77T

the Coronavirus outbreak thread

Can we pause a moment?

Everyday on the Oxygen habit is a good one -

Here in ATL area it is a beautiful day - I hope anyone having a bad day or night can cross the threshold of optimism.

Yes, even those of us who are at risk, or concerned about this topic. At least spend a minute in quiet reflection on your excellent experiences on planet Earth thus far. Give those thoughts a chance to fill your amygdala and supplant any built-up negative emotions.

Old 9 March 2020, 06:21 AM   #1113
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Can we pause a moment?

Here in ATL area it is a beautiful day - I hope anyone having a bad day or night can cross the threshold of optimism.

Yes, even those of us who are at risk, or concerned about this topic. At least spend a minute in quiet reflection on your excellent experiences on planet Earth thus far. Give those thoughts a chance to fill your amygdala and supplant any built-up negative emotions.

A beautiful day indeed! I just took my dog for a walk around Midtown and Piedmont park. It was so refreshing and relaxing. Thanks for injecting a little positivity!
Old 9 March 2020, 06:22 AM   #1114
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:

Can we pause a moment?

Nice. It was raining absolutely every day last week while I was in Atlanta.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6

If you study this website you’ll see that the death rate coming from countries everyone seems to agree to trust is well less than 1%. Now we all know the deaths reported have to be (pretty) accurate (again coming from countries we trust like Switzerland, South Korea, Japan, US etc.) and what everyone seems to be not believing is the amount of people confirmed to have contracted the virus. Most everyone here seems to believe that number is higher because most people infected just don’t go to the doctors because they don’t get symptoms or don’t feel bad enough so as a result those folks don’t get tested. I believe that to be a reasonable assumption.

Now taking all this into consideration I’m still confused as to why so many people around the world are reacting the way they are. The only thing I can figure is the media hyping this up or even worse than that there are many YouTube websites promoting this as pretty much the end of the world. For people with health issues that are over 60 years old like my mother I completely understand voluntary self isolation or at least restricted movement until things calm down a bit or at least more is known. With some of the reactions I’m reading here and other places in social media just has me baffled. The only thing I can figure is some people must really believe all the governments of the world are lying and this thing is 1000 times worse than what they are saying because so far the evidence we have just doesn’t point to that.

I have a few friends in China that have told me things are calming down and people are going back to work in the factories. I do not know why they would lie to me. After all they were the ones that told me their own government forced them to stay home for over a month.

Anyway, peace to everyone here. I will be working as normal this week and that includes travel throughout my region in the southeast United States. I will conduct myself with caution as I always do when it comes to protecting my health. I also am well supplied in my home and have been ever since I moved to Florida because we have to deal with a serious threat of a hurricane every year which can absolutely take out a regions resources for a while if you are in the direct impact zone.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 9 March 2020, 06:30 AM   #1115
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Can we pause a moment?

Thanks for this Paul, yes it's a beautiful day here. Gonna head outside and walk the dog. This crazy mutt:

Old 9 March 2020, 07:01 AM   #1116
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post

350 million, 188 infected, that equals a. .0000005 ish percent chance of being infected with this virus.
Hmmm, the infected is accelerating everyday, look what's happened in Italy, so that math is way out.

This is only killing the elderly and underlying so they need to take steps to isolate as much as possible.

This is gonna run until a vaccine is created and mass produced which sounds like will be over a year, companies and the economy are going to be affected very badly.
Old 9 March 2020, 07:20 AM   #1117
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
At 8pm cst last Sunday there were 71 confirmed cases in the USA
at 4:15 cst one week later there are 511 .....that a pretty large jump in 7 days....
Old 9 March 2020, 07:38 AM   #1118
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh1013 View Post
At 8pm cst last Sunday there were 71 confirmed cases in the USA
at 4:15 cst one week later there are 511 .....that a pretty large jump in 7 days....
Who knows how many cases are out there going unreported with mild symptoms
Old 9 March 2020, 07:46 AM   #1119
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
From ABC news a day ago: 12 dead, 188 infected in the US.

On a serious note, I will pray for those victims and their families. Now,

350 million, 188 infected, that equals a. .0000005 ish percent chance of being infected with this virus.

According to National Geographic, your odds of getting hit by lightning in one year is one in 700,000 or .0000015 ish percent.

In other words, your chances of getting hit by lightning are higher then CONTRACTING this virus, much less dying from it.

Let’s not sell the house for gold, head to the hills and barricade ourselves in the cave shall we?
I see your point Paul and agree that perspective is better than panic. But there are at least three potential problems with using current verified US cases and the lightning analogy as a statistical predictor of potential future US infection rates.

First, the US has not had the ability to test and still lags behind other countries. So the number of reported may be of little value. For example, my state lacks the ability to test all comers. And it is still early days in tracing the two reported cases in NC.

Second, low estimates I have read are that each person infects 2-3 others. Lightning does not work that way. In other words, unlike viruses, the odds of lightning strikes do not increase with the number of people struck, lightning strike odds are constant, not exponentially increasing.

Third, assuming for the sake of argument that there are only 188 in the US at this point in time I get your point as to odds at to this point in time. But China also only had 188 cases at one point in time (and so did Italy). And the odds of getting the virus in Wuhan increased exponentially before some very draconian quarantine measures were undertaken.

So, my question is what are the odds of catching CV in the US during the next couple of months if the virus gets a foothold in several metro areas and serious quarantine measures are not taken? And I have no idea what the answer is to that question. And I do not think anyone else does.
Old 9 March 2020, 07:56 AM   #1120
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
I see your point Paul and agree that perspective is better than panic. But there are at least three potential problems with using current verified US cases and the lightning analogy as a statistical predictor of potential future US infection rates.

First, the US has not had the ability to test and still lags behind other countries. So the number of reported may be of little value. For example, my state lacks the ability to test all comers. And it is still early days in tracing the two reported cases in NC.

Second, low estimates I have read are that each person infects 2-3 others. Lightning does not work that way. In other words, unlike viruses, the odds of lightning strikes do not increase with the number of people struck, lightning strike odds are constant, not exponentially increasing.

Third, assuming for the sake of argument that there are only 188 in the US at this point in time I get your point as to odds at to this point in time. But China also only had 188 cases at one point in time (and so did Italy). And the odds of getting the virus in Wuhan increased exponentially before some very draconian quarantine measures were undertaken.

So, my question is what are the odds of catching CV in the US during the next couple of months if the virus gets a foothold in several metro areas and serious quarantine measures are not taken? And I have no idea what the answer is to that question. And I do not think anyone else does.
Do you really think quarantine measures are going to do anything? Seriously?

I’m starting to think some of you guys know things the rest of us don’t.

By the way life is getting back to normal in most places in China. Do you believe there will be millions of infected people in China soon?

Instagram - patton250
Old 9 March 2020, 07:57 AM   #1121
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6

If you study this website you’ll see that the death rate coming from countries everyone seems to agree to trust is well less than 1%.
Not sure I am doing this correctly, but your link shows deaths at 3,802 and confirmed cases at 109,829. And I think that yields a mortality rate of 3.46 percent, not 1 percent.

How are you getting less than 1 percent?
Old 9 March 2020, 08:06 AM   #1122
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not sure I am doing this correctly, but your link shows deaths at 3,802 and confirmed cases at 109,829. And I think that yields a mortality rate of 3.46 percent, not 1 percent.

Did hear on the news there will be a lot more that have it but go unreported. The young have mild symptoms or hardly any at all.
Old 9 March 2020, 08:07 AM   #1123
77T

Well I can share one thing affecting our area. Dobbins Air Reserve Base will be one of the sites for quarantining a portion of the Diamond Princess passengers.

Marietta is the city and that will likely worry some there. But we already have cases popping up in adjacent cities anyway including mine.

So what to do?

Make Girl Scout Trefoil Thin Mint S’mores, of course!

Old 9 March 2020, 08:14 AM   #1124
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Well I can share one thing affecting our area. Dobbins Air Reserve Base will be one of the sites for quarantining a portion of the Diamond Princess passengers.

Marietta is the city and that will likely worry some there. But we already have cases popping up in adjacent cities anyway including mine.

So what to do?

Hmmmmmmmm. Now that looks stupendous.

Hmmmmmmmn. Now that looks stupendous.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 9 March 2020, 08:16 AM   #1125
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Do you really think quarantine measures are going to do anything? Seriously?

I’m starting to think some of you guys know things the rest of us don’t.

By the way life is getting back to normal in most places in China. Do you believe there will be millions of infected people in China soon?
Brett:

I understand you are passionate about this subject but please re-read my post.

I did not advocate for quarantine measures. And do not think opining on the same is productive.

Nor did I imply that I know anything that others do not.

If you disagree with the problems I raised out on the getting struck by lightning analogy for future US infection rates, please tell me how.

I hope we are all still at point where it is ok to question each other's statements.

Old 9 March 2020, 08:19 AM   #1126
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

So what to do?

Do you have a calorie count on the S'mores, or is it like if you have to ask how much you can't afford it?
Old 9 March 2020, 08:26 AM   #1127
Old Farmer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Morning All, The hysteria around this virus is out of shape, here in Oz, panic buying of bulk toilet rolls has supermarket shelves empty, fair dinkum, Google it to see for yourself. Got me beat, this horrible virus does not cause the trots, go figure.
Old 9 March 2020, 08:36 AM   #1128
77T

Quote:
Do you have a calorie count on the S'mores, or is it like if you have to ask how much you can't afford it?

Well that’s an easier question than risk analysis...

1 Trefoil = 32 cal.
1 Thin Mint = 40 cal.
6 Kraft Mini’s = 40 cal.

Per S’more = 112 cal.
x 7 on a plate = 784 cal.

Risk of smiles = 100%

These are an experiment.
Dual flavors: eat one with the Trefoil on the bottom you get one sensation on the tongue - turned upside down with the Thin Mint on tongue first and a whole different flavor.

Old 9 March 2020, 08:41 AM   #1129
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Farmer View Post
Got me beat, this horrible virus does not cause the trots, go figure.

TP is cheaper than Kleenex to muzzle a cough or sneeze. Or to stuff a poor fitting surgical mask.

Old 9 March 2020, 08:54 AM   #1130
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

That website is terrible for phones. I’m sorry I should have said that. It’s best to look at it on iPads or a computer.

Look at Japan, S Korea, Switzerland and most of Europe etc. numbers. Then you will see what I mean.

Instagram - patton250
Old 9 March 2020, 09:09 AM   #1131
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
I certainly agree with your final sentence, Paul...this is a time for cool heads. Just like when you had a bogey on your high 6.

By the theory of large numbers, your long division may be mathematically correct - but that isn’t the actual risk profile. It depends on many variables and some coincidences of our own.

Recommended reading for us all: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ssessment.html

Scroll down to some specifics under “Exposure Risk Categories”. I hasten to add this disclaimer - I am not calling anyone out - just sharing in the spirit of communication.

Just for the record.... it was 11:00.... range 40 miles.
Old 9 March 2020, 09:17 AM   #1132
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Can we pause a moment?

Paul, besides having an exceptional and highly regarded first name... you are obviously a very intelligent man. THIS is my whole point. Yes, it IS causing deaths and yes, we should all take precautions, especially the elderly, those that have traveled in Asia recently, etc. We should be paying extra diligence to washing hands, using sanitizer, and I always feel it is prudent to have emergency supplies on hand, in case of extreme weather or power outages etc. But THESE REPORTS THAT THE SKY IS FALLING are ridiculous. Mankind has endured far worse pandemics in it’s past, the Spanish Flu, the Swine flu, hell back even to the Black Plague. The over-blown reaction (IMHO exasterbated by the media) are causing unnecessary stress and even panic world-wide. In a few months, everything will be back to normal. If I’m wrong, and we are all doomed by June 1st, then you can all say “I told you so.”
Old 9 March 2020, 09:26 AM   #1133
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

$30 oil, wowza
Old 9 March 2020, 09:28 AM   #1134
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Well that’s an easier question than risk analysis...

1 Trefoil = 32 cal.
1 Thin Mint = 40 cal.
6 Kraft Mini’s = 40 cal.

Per S’more = 112 cal.
x 7 on a plate = 784 cal.

Risk of smiles = 100%

These are an experiment.
Dual flavors: eat one with the Trefoil on the bottom you get one sensation on the tongue - turned upside down with the Thin Mint on tongue first and a whole different flavor.

Ah. I can afford one, but could not trust myself not to eat the whole plate.
Old 9 March 2020, 09:55 AM   #1135
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Thanks for this Paul, yes it's a beautiful day here. Gonna head outside and walk the dog. This crazy mutt:

What a cutie!!!!

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 9 March 2020, 10:08 AM   #1136
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
What a cutie!!!!
Thank you!
Old 9 March 2020, 10:48 AM   #1137
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thank you!
Yes. Extremely cute.

Instagram - patton250
Old 9 March 2020, 11:11 AM   #1138
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes. Extremely cute.
Thanks, man
Old 9 March 2020, 11:39 AM   #1139
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by denmanproject View Post
$30 oil, wowza
30? I saw an article it could hit 20 very soon.....under 1 buck a gallon.
Old 9 March 2020, 11:41 AM   #1140
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh1013 View Post
30? I saw an article it could hit 20 very soon.....under 1 buck a gallon.

The OPEC+ deal fell through Friday but I heard they went into some sort of dark pool negotiations.

I expect they will prop up the price with a cut in production. But I have stayed away from the news over the weekend.

(Edit: Oops I just saw Australia’s benchmark stock index plunged the most since 2008. Gird yer loins buckos. I withdraw my comment about OPEC+)

Closed Thread