The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 20 April 2019, 07:01 PM   #1
InitialAndPitch
Banned

Watch: GMT-II BLRO PEPSI
Have you ever had your watch stolen from your wrist?

There’s been a fair bit of talk in this forum about watch values, security, travel and so on. I was sure that I’d written a post on this subject - but maybe not. Then I read a post by r_afficionado reporting his watch theft.

Lots of insurance companies will only cover your watch while travelling if it’s (a) on your wrist at the time or (b) in a safe. Therefore don’t leave it in a hotel bedside table.

It’s a rotten thing to consider but I have to ask: have any of you had your watch taken/stolen from you while you were wearing it? Is it a common thing?
Old 20 April 2019, 07:30 PM   #2
tomallen
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex SubC,GMTIIC
I was at wedding reception years ago and there was a magician walking around during dinner doing slight of hand and card tricks. He was very good. My TT Sub was off my wrist and ended up on my brother in laws wrist I did not notice until he asked for the time. No harm no foul but scary stuff that I will never forget.
Old 20 April 2019, 07:35 PM   #3
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomallen View Post
I was at wedding reception years ago and there was a magician walking around during dinner doing slight of hand and card tricks. He was very good. My TT Sub was off my wrist and ended up on my brother in laws wrist I did not notice until he asked for the time. No harm no foul but scary stuff that I will never forget.
Although that method will not work on a standard oyster / jubilee bracelet.
Old 20 April 2019, 07:36 PM   #4
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: give me time...
Not me personally, but my brother had his TT datejust stolen at knifepoint outside his home.
Old 20 April 2019, 07:38 PM   #5
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Not on my wrist. I left a watch in the glove compartment. When i had car serviced, the watch was stolen.
Old 20 April 2019, 07:38 PM   #6
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDweller50 View Post
Although that method will not work on a standard oyster / jubilee bracelet.
Only for tang buckle?
Old 20 April 2019, 07:39 PM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialAndPitch View Post
There’s been a fair bit of talk in this forum about watch values, security, travel and so on. I was sure that I’d written a post on this subject - but maybe not. Then I read a post by r_afficionado reporting his watch theft.

Lots of insurance companies will only cover your watch while travelling if it’s (a) on your wrist at the time or (b) in a safe. Therefore don’t leave it in a hotel bedside table.

It’s a rotten thing to consider but I have to ask: have any of you had your watch taken/stolen from you while you were wearing it? Is it a common thing?
With all the watches bought each year Rolex included world wide, the amount that ever gets stolen off the wrist, or any other way is a very very very very very very very very very very very tiny amount.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 20 April 2019, 08:28 PM   #8
Hub6152
Banned

This is a common sight in London lately. Knifepoint muggings are commonplace, and you’re still likely to get stabbed even if you handed over the watch.

Luckily for me I no longer live in London after moving to Hong Kong where this is the more likely scenario!!

Old 20 April 2019, 10:45 PM   #9
InitialAndPitch
Banned

Thanks Hub6152 that’s interesting. I’ve been in London during a particularly bad week for knife crime and motor scooter type hold ups/acid attacks. I’d not seen those signs. If you’re openly displaying a nice watch, you’d have to be somebody of interest for the thugs.

The place that really frustrates me because I fly so much is the airports where they want you to take your watch off and put it in the tray. They try and shuffle you through the metal detector while your watch is still in a tray waiting to go through X-ray. I take it off and put it in a travel case and shove it in my carry in before security.
Old 20 April 2019, 10:50 PM   #10
InitialAndPitch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
With all the watches bought each year Rolex included world wide, the amount that ever gets stolen off the wrist, or any other way is a very very very very very very very very very very very tiny amount.
Which means that lots of watch travel insurance is overpriced and only covers unlikely scenarios.

I’ve been pick-pocketed but thank goodness not mugged.
Old 20 April 2019, 10:52 PM   #11
timedate
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomallen View Post
i dont believe this story
Old 20 April 2019, 10:53 PM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub6152 View Post
This is a common sight in London lately. Knifepoint muggings are commonplace, and you’re still likely to get stabbed even if you handed over the watch.

Luckily for me I no longer live in London after moving to Hong Kong where this is the more likely scenario!!

Wow ... London must have changed since my last visit.

What part of town is this in?
Old 20 April 2019, 10:56 PM   #13
Hub6152
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Wow ... London must have changed since my last visit.

What part of town is this in?

Not my photo but it’s Chelsea/Knightsbridge area.
Old 20 April 2019, 10:59 PM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

Quote:
Not my photo but it’s Chelsea/Knightsbridge area.
Interesting, thank you
Old 20 April 2019, 11:07 PM   #15
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
It’s outside the Burlington Arcade if I remember rightly. Isn’t that Fortnum Masons across the road
Old 21 April 2019, 01:59 AM   #16
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
I was attacked while getting off an elevator accompanied by my 10 year old daughter. As I exited, I was punched in the face. The two men demanded my watch (Platona) and wallet. (I told this story on TRF many years ago.) I was left with a cracked orbital bone, while both men suffered many more injuries, one from falling down a set of stairs nearby. I kept my possessions, but the psychological damage to my daughter lasted many months afterward.
Old 21 April 2019, 02:01 AM   #17
Hub6152
Banned

Have you ever had your watch stolen from your wrist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
It’s outside the Burlington Arcade if I remember rightly. Isn’t that Fortnum Masons across the road

Could well be as that clock hanging looks so familiar. But the street looks too wide. The left side looks like some gallery or museum! But these signs are in multiple places so it’s not just one small area.
Old 21 April 2019, 02:04 AM   #18
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Could well be as that clock hanging looks so familiar. But the street looks too wide. The left side looks like some gallery or museum! But these signs are in multiple places so it’s not just one small area.
Its a wide road. I often walk half way across to the “Islands” before crossing the second half
Old 21 April 2019, 02:05 AM   #19
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshrinker View Post
I was attacked while getting off an elevator accompanied by my 10 year old daughter. As I exited, I was punched in the face. The two men demanded my watch (Platona) and wallet. (I told this story on TRF many years ago.) I was left with a cracked orbital bone, while both men suffered many more injuries, one from falling down a set of stairs nearby. I kept my possessions, but the psychological damage to my daughter lasted many months afterward.
Not good at all! Glad they got what they deserved!

All the best
Old 21 April 2019, 02:05 AM   #20
Hub6152
Banned

Quote:
Its a wide road. I often walk half way across to the “Islands” before crossing the second half

I’ve been in HK too long I guess!! I’m forgetting what some of it looks like!
Old 21 April 2019, 02:07 AM   #21
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’ve been in HK too long I guess!! I’m forgetting what some of it looks like!
Ha - prefer Hong Kong! Would love to go back!!!!
Old 21 April 2019, 02:13 AM   #22
Hub6152
Banned

Quote:
Ha - prefer Hong Kong! Would love to go back!!!!

Not today you wouldn’t!! First Red rain warning of 2019 struck today, and boy did it come down!
Old 21 April 2019, 02:45 AM   #23
wesdaniel
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialAndPitch View Post
The place that really frustrates me because I fly so much is the airports where they want you to take your watch off and put it in the tray. They try and shuffle you through the metal detector while your watch is still in a tray waiting to go through X-ray. I take it off and put it in a travel case and shove it in my carry in before security.
That's nuts. I don't fly that often now, but, used to fly 3-4x a week and can only remember being asked to remove my watch once. I politely declined and made it through without any problem.
Old 21 April 2019, 03:31 AM   #24
BigBlue1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: it pal !
No I haven’t. Messing with me is like messing with Charles Bronson in other words you must have a Death Wish. Me and Mr.T say “ I pity the fool”.
Really though I’ll jack you up.
Don’t try it

Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got
RIP Mikey
Old 21 April 2019, 05:18 AM   #25
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timedate View Post
i dont believe this story
Saw it dozens of times with all types of watches, with leather bands and bracelets.

I used to work in a bar in LA called Merlin McFly's (Santa Monica actually) and they had magicians 2-3 nights a week going around doing table magic. And lots of them could remove watches, rings, bras, and God knows what else. I've seen them take the watch off a guy ask him the time and he looks at is wrist and the watch is now on the other wrist or on another person, or in someones pocket or purse.

It's all communication, misdirection and great hands. They do the watch thing while doing card tricks. The misdirection comes from the person concentration on one thing while something else is going on. And nobody at the table sees it happening. In all the time there I never once saw anyone realize it was happening. It's done by getting the guy to stand up and do something and hold something and the magician guides him through while touching him, his arm, his hand, his wrist, patting his back etc, all while talking about the card trick.

These guys all worked at the Magic Castle in LA if you ever get the chance to see them. It's still there I think.
Old 21 April 2019, 05:24 AM   #26
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yes that’s the exact spot.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 21 April 2019, 09:48 AM   #27
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjin View Post
Not me personally, but my brother had his TT datejust stolen at knifepoint outside his home.
In HK?

Cheers
Old 21 April 2019, 04:46 PM   #28
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Nope.
Old 21 April 2019, 08:16 PM   #29
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
i think a "hold up" is a "hold up" whether the bad guy wants watches, jewelry, purses and or wallets. that's about the only likely scenario where one would get their watch stolen from their wrist. yea i suppose it's a theoretical possibility a slight-of-hand expert could zip it off one's wrist but the chances of that are slim unless as mentioned it's a magician performing tricks.
Old 21 April 2019, 11:35 PM   #30
InitialAndPitch
Banned

I was mainly thinking about those who might have been targeted for street robbery. But a rogue David Copperfield is a possibility.
Closed Thread