The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 14 December 2018, 12:27 PM   #31
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrank View Post
Well said, for me about 7 years ago, I tried to alter my attitude about my life.

I wanted to stop viewing my life as an ongoing "task list", always ticking boxes, mind always on "what's next" rather than the here and now. Mind always on the "next meeting"...blah, blah,blah.

So I started making some changes, and one little change was to use my daily shave as a way to start the day (or end the day depending on day's events), to take a breath, slow down, and decide to be active and experience what I did every day, in other words to change "tasks" to "experiences", and be more focused on what was in front of me.

Improved my mind set, taught me to listen more, was better focused at work, and enjoyed myself much more, and was surprised at how much the quality of my work improved, relations with others, and my stress levels went way down as well.

One small change of many I did, but it's a nice way to start the day, think about what's ahead, and reminds me to be patient, as with all things - it takes time, skill and patience to learn to use a straight razor - as with all things in life, patience, practice, and willingness are positive traits to develop. And it was fun to learn a new skill....

My two cents, others mileage may vary....
I've tried to do something similar, Phrank. Life is a continuous series of present moments. I've been trying to let the past go and not dwell on a future that remains an unknown. I shaved with a DE razor for a long time, then got back into a Mach 3 because I was always in a hurry. I'm back to making shaving an experience rather than a task. It's amazing what a small change like this can do for one's outlook.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 02:09 PM   #32
Jster
2024 Pledge Member

I’ve used Cremo for a few years now. I like it. I shave in the shower, which I highly recommend. I used a DE with Feather blades for a while but I went back to a Mach III recently. I cut myself a lot with the DE and found I get the same closeness with the Mach.
Jster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 02:31 PM   #33
Porsche
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: and learn
I use a Feather DE razor. Japanese, surgical stainless steel.
Their blades are a bit TOO sharp (so I use other brands), but the razor is a work of art. It has a precision feel, like it's machined from a solid billet.
Yes, a little more pricey than others, but some members here spend more on a leather watch strap, so value is relative. If I am going to drag a razor sharp piece of steel across my face every day, I want to make sure it's the best!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wNFz0BXCewtH.jpg (50.0 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg Z7VxkDpu1VJR.jpg (66.8 KB, 171 views)

ROLEX --- SEIKO --- HEUER

TRF REHAUT
T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 08:53 AM   #34
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

I use the same Feather razor, John. It feels very solid and heavy. I found Feather blades to be so sharp as to be almost dangerous. I use Derby blades which are inexpensive and do a great job.
Old 15 December 2018, 11:53 AM   #35
josephvman
Banned

I've got a Feather razor too, and it's beautifully made but it's just not aggressive enough for me. I've got a tough beard and tend to only shave 1-2 times a week, and I just can't get a very close shave with the Feather razor. It's probably great for someone with a lighter beard who shaves everyday, and it's very comfortable.

My current go-to is a Merkur Progress, set to around 2.5 with Feather blades. I've got a Merkur Futur, which gives an incredible shave, but the weight, size of the head, and aggressive nature of the razor just require far too much attention. That's a razor that just requires the utmost attention or you can bleed out! It's the only DE razor I've ever used that can cut you so badly that you actually hear the blade pierce the skin!

I also have a couple of 60's Gillette adjustables that I use from time to time. I love those razors and the quality of construction given their age and price at that time is amazing. The adjustment knob clicks like it's a piece of $4,000 hifi gear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
I use the same Feather razor, John. It feels very solid and heavy. I found Feather blades to be so sharp as to be almost dangerous. I use Derby blades which are inexpensive and do a great job.
josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 12:03 PM   #36
Phrank

Watch: ♕
Quote:
I've tried to do something similar, Phrank. Life is a continuous series of present moments. I've been trying to let the past go and not dwell on a future that remains an unknown. I shaved with a DE razor for a long time, then got back into a Mach 3 because I was always in a hurry. I'm back to making shaving an experience rather than a task. It's amazing what a small change like this can do for one's outlook.
Well said, if you're ever interested in giving a straight razor a try, send me a PM and I'll send you a nice 150 year old Sheffield razor, it'll have a finished edge on a spectacular 100 year old Escher razor hone.

I found learning to shave with a straight was a great exercise for the brain and turned shaving into something fun....

note to the Feather blade users: run the razor through a cork once or twice, it will smooth out the edge, like "stropping" a razor, and make for a much more comfortable shave, take that "sharpness" out of the blade and mellow it out.
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 12:58 PM   #37
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson3097 View Post
I’m a big fan of Jack Black products. I’ve been using the beard lube for shaving for the past few years and can’t go back to anything else.
Yes, Jack Black makes good stuff. They have another shaving cream called Supreme Creame that is excellent. For post shave their Double Duty Face Moisturizer is outstanding, and their Post Shave Cooling is great if you suffer from razor burn.

Another great shaving cream that may be a bit harder to find is Proraso, it's inexpensive but don't be fooled by the price. A great drug store option is Aveeno. Edwin Jagger makes good products, a lot like Art of Shaving.

I'm not a barber but do own a barbershop and have learned a great deal about shaving and shaving products.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 03:51 PM   #38
Porsche

Quote:
Well said, if you're ever interested in giving a straight razor a try, send me a PM and I'll send you a nice 150 year old Sheffield razor, it'll have a finished edge on a spectacular 100 year old Escher razor hone.

I found learning to shave with a straight was a great exercise for the brain and turned shaving into something fun....

note to the Feather blade users: run the razor through a cork once or twice, it will smooth out the edge, like "stropping" a razor, and make for a much more comfortable shave, take that "sharpness" out of the blade and mellow it out.
Some wise words there... yes, using a DE razor took a few months to master (with a few mishaps along the way, he he), but now it is no longer a chore, more of a pleasurable challenge. Having said that, I do not yet have the confidence to for a full-razor!

Thanks for the cork tip, will definitely give that a go

TRF REHAUT
T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M
Old 16 December 2018, 09:45 AM   #39
2ltdjorn
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Excellent thread. I use a safety razor with soap/brush. I’m too chicken for the straight razor!

This is my kit...

Merkur Futor

https://www.royalshave.com/merkur-fu...ce-shaving-set

First GTG El Paso Nov 2016, WISCON 2019.

Would rather be on the river, somewhere.
2ltdjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 12:07 PM   #40
Phrank

Found this very cool old Gillette "Aristocrat" Rhodium British made couple of years ago in a thrift shop...just don't make them like they used to. Think this is from the 1940-60's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SOTD-GILRHODGAM161204.jpg (75.8 KB, 137 views)
Old 16 December 2018, 12:23 PM   #41
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

I remember my grandfather shaving with a straight razor he bought in England during World War I and telling us stories as he shaved about living in trenches during the Battle of Argonne in France. I'm guessing that razor was tossed when he passed away in the early 70s.
Old 16 December 2018, 01:10 PM   #42
Phrank

Quote:
I remember my grandfather shaving with a straight razor he bought in England during World War I and telling us stories as he shaved about living in trenches during the Battle of Argonne in France. I'm guessing that razor was tossed when he passed away in the early 70s.
There are some absolutely fascinating straight razors you can collect.

I've always been interested in the American Civil War, found this N&R Dodge razor, owned by a soldier of the 1st. Connecticut Heavy Artillery.

Must have been an heirloom that ended up on eBay where I purchased it.

Here's a pic of the razor and one pic of the unit we found.

Link to some more photo's:

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/search/?...vy%20Artillery
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NRDODGECIVWAR-2.jpg (94.9 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg CivilWar1STConn-610x491.jpg (48.6 KB, 133 views)
Old 23 December 2018, 07:52 AM   #43
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Thanks for so many responses. It will be fun to try the various recommended products. It could take years to try them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
The Art of Shaving doesn’t have the best rep in the wet shaving world, but their aftershave balm is moisturizing and not greasy. Unfortunately they discontinued the Lemon that I used to use. :
The Art of Shaving sold an orange aftershave lotion that I really liked, but it, too, is no longer available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenngun View Post
Also Taylor of old Bond Street (Grapefruit scent or the Eton College collection)
I ordered the grapefruit scent Taylor product and have used it for a week. I like it a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorbaja27 View Post
I'm forced to use a Gillette razor every time I travel for short periods of time - damn TSA agents have taken my DE blades a few times until I decided to learn
I used to shave with a DE all the time, but this happened to me at an airport as well. When I returned home, I got lazy and went back to the Mach III for a while.

Quote:
I'd like to try a straight razor. Is there a decent generic razor you could recommend so I don't wind up taking your treasured antique? (In case I lacerate a carotid artery and my survivors don't know who to mail it back to.)
Old 23 December 2018, 08:00 AM   #44
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Proraso products. Vintage Gillette and Lord blades.
Old 23 December 2018, 08:57 AM   #45
Phrank

Quote:
I'd like to try a straight razor. Is there a decent generic razor you could recommend so I don't wind up taking your treasured antique? (In case I lacerate a carotid artery and my survivors don't know who to mail it back to.)
It would be my pleasure to send you an old Sheffield razor to try. PM me and I'll send one down to you.

If you want to just get a generic razor to try, Fendrihan is a great online store for pretty much anything you'd want.

Here's a link to a "shave ready" razor, 6/8 round point is the perfect starter razor.

"Shave ready" means that razor has been further honed from the factory edge. Many make the mistake of thinking a new razor from the factory will be ready to shave, some can be close, but usually the results aren't good, you always want a "shave ready" razor.

Here's one:

https://www.fendrihan.com/collection...acrylic-handle

Offers open for me to send you one though, and it will be beautifully honed, and "finished" on one of the nicest finishing stones around.

Either way, Merry Christmas....
Old 23 December 2018, 12:56 PM   #46
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

PM sent Phrank. I am always amazed and uplifted by the kindness and sense of community here at TRF. If you have some free time, here is a link to a thread from almost ten years ago detailing how I was scammed out of two Rolexes and cash by a guy in South Carolina. Members of this forum sent me valuable information, and I was able to convince the guy it was in his best interests to return the watches and cash. He actually walked into the Sheriff's office in Columbia and turned the stolen watches over to a detective with whom I was communicating, who then shipped them back to me. He also wired the stolen cash back to me.

Without the help of TRF members, I would have been out $12K. This is a great forum.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=106512
Old 23 December 2018, 01:03 PM   #47
Phrank

Quote:
PM sent Phrank. I am always amazed and uplifted by the kindness and sense of community here at TRF. If you have some free time, here is a link to a thread from almost ten years ago detailing how I was scammed out of two Rolexes and cash by a guy in South Carolina. Members of this forum sent me valuable information, and I was able to convince the guy it was in his best interests to return the watches and cash. He actually walked into the Sheriff's office in Columbia and turned the stolen watches over to a detective with whom I was communicating, who then shipped them back to me. He also wired the stolen cash back to me.

Without the help of TRF members, I would have been out $12K. This is a great forum.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=106512
Great news, when I get your PM, I'll pack up the one I've picked for you.

I'll also send you a couple of samples of Martin De Candre, the superb handmade French shaving soap, as well as a sample of Castle Forbes, another stellar shaving soap made in Scotland.

Old 23 December 2018, 01:23 PM   #48
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Great news, when I get your PM, I'll pack up the one I've picked for you.

I'll also send you a couple of samples of Martin De Candre, the superb handmade French shaving soap, as well as a sample of Castle Forbes, another stellar shaving soap made in Scotland.

Thanks. I'm excited to give them a try.
Old 24 December 2018, 05:07 AM   #49
Brenngun

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
Thanks. I'm excited to give them a try.
Joey. Phrank is a well known straight razor enthusiast and collector. We got to know each other on a forum dedicated to this past time. You're in extremely good hands. Saw you picked up the Taylor's Grapefruit. I love the scent of that one. One piece of advice. Keep your concentration high and your blade angle low.

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2018, 05:27 AM   #50
cajunron
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Hey Joey, sorry I'm late to the party (as usual). When I got into ditching my old disposable Trac II razor, I went to West Coast Shaving and bought the Merkur 34C Heavy Duty Safety Razor and the Omega 637 Silvertip Badger Shaving Brush. I find the Pol Silver razor blades on Amazon are the cheapest and best out there. And lastly, I lather up with Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood or Rose in the 5.3 oz bowl. Slap on some Pinaud Clubman aftershave, and you will feel clean and smell great. I will never go back to disposables. Shaving can be a great experience or a dreaded routine, depending on how you approach it, IMO. Good luck.

https://www.westcoastshaving.com/
Old 25 December 2018, 07:14 AM   #51
ratlover
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Tabac is one of my favorite performing soaps. I also like the AS. It does have a polarizing scent. I wouldn’t wear it on a first date or out to the bars since im in my mid 30’s. I try for something more mainstream. Barister and mann and mickey lee soap works are some of my other favorite soaps.

Stirling, Fine, and Chiseled face are my favorite AS brands. I like original scent oldspice(not the axe smelling stuff they sell in stores) but its like Tabac. Some can find it a bit floral and dated so I only wear it for me.

I have an above the tie slant and a open comb from Timeless Razor thats in the more agressive line. The above the tie is a nice razor but the timeless is the rolex of razors in my opinion. Both are made in the USA too

Generally run a KAI blade

I get most of my stuff from westcoast or maggard
ratlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2018, 03:34 AM   #52
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

I read through the thread and didn't see any discussion of pre-shave oils. Do you use these products? I've used some sweet almond oil pre-shave, but I've always felt like the process of brushing on soap/cream removes any oil from the skin. Perhaps the oil remains in the facial hairs? What do you recommend?
Old 31 December 2018, 06:22 AM   #53
Phrank

Quote:
I read through the thread and didn't see any discussion of pre-shave oils. Do you use these products? I've used some sweet almond oil pre-shave, but I've always felt like the process of brushing on soap/cream removes any oil from the skin. Perhaps the oil remains in the facial hairs? What do you recommend?
Most pre-shave oils aren't worth it in my opinion.

They dampen the soap IMO, you end up with your nice badger or boar brush gunked up a bit with the oil, and it really doesn't provide that much benefit, again, in my opinion.

Having said that, on the advice of a member of another forum, I tried the Castle Forbes Pre-Shave, and while it has a hint of oil, it doesn't destroy the lathering of the soap, gunk the brush up, and does provide a nice softening effect on the beard.

Personally, if you're one of those who has a very tough wire type beard, pre-shave oils can help, but for me, no need.

But always fun to try different products, you never know what can work for you.
Old 1 January 2019, 02:01 AM   #54
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Use Feather Artist Club straight razor with Super blades or Gillette Fatboy with Feather double edge blades.

Trufitt and Hill preshave (highly recommended) and various of their creams. No aftershave.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 02:20 AM   #55
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

A package arrived today from Phrank (Andrew) in Toronto. It contained shaving cream samples, a variety of classic double-edge blades and a Wade and Butcher straight edge razor from 1840! The razor is sharp enough to use in open-heart surgery! I'm reviewing videos on using the razor before I give it a try. Thank you so much, Phrank. The TRF community never fails to amaze me.

Old 9 January 2019, 03:38 AM   #56
ratlover
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Thats one thing I like about wetshaving. Takes a bit to figure out what works best for you. No preshave for me, not a fan. My ritual is a face wash in shower, then rinse face/turn water to cold for a minute before getting out. So my face/hair is about as oil free as you can get. Also use cold water to soak brush and splash on face between passes. I am also a face latherer.

The blast of cold water is invigorating plus I found I get the best shave.
ratlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 05:40 AM   #57
stanc1
"TRF" Member

I've always used JACK BLACK shave cream and it cool for me.
stanc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 05:59 AM   #58
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
I've got a Merkur safety razor that I use infrequently (I should use it more, but I find it difficult shaving that way with a toddler running around my feet...). I have some Art of Shaving soap that I use with a Kiehl's pre-shave oil. My favorite aftershave is Truefitt & Hill that smells like lime.

My daily shaver (I'm in the Army and have that requirement, unfortunately) is a Mach 3 with Cremo shave cream. I tried the Harry's razors, another razor program I can't remember, and even the Gillette Mach 5 (or whatever it's called), but the mach 3 does great on a daily basis. But I always use the Truefitt & Hill.
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 06:04 AM   #59
lguevara91
"TRF" Member

This is the best shave products i've ever tried.. They just launched the mens line and isn't up on their website. I just call the store directly and make my order for now...

https://www.facebook.com/sennobia/?_...Zp3ko&fref=tag

http://sennobia.com
Old 9 January 2019, 10:36 AM   #60
Porsche

Quote:
A package arrived today from Phrank (Andrew) in Toronto. It contained shaving cream samples, a variety of classic double-edge blades and a Wade and Butcher straight edge razor from 1840! The razor is sharp enough to use in open-heart surgery! I'm reviewing videos on using the razor before I give it a try. Thank you so much, Phrank. The TRF community never fails to amaze me.
Very nice! Use it in good health ;-)

TRF REHAUT