The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 6 September 2022, 08:08 AM   #1
2watches
"TRF" Member

My childhood friend’s father‘s watch

Hello everyone,
I am brand new here and I have been looking through threads for several days trying to find something similar to a Rolex I just picked up from my childhood pal. I had a couple of items he wanted so we did a trade and I could not be happier, and he couldn’t either, so I guess that is the definition of a good deal.

Anyway, before we did the deal he took it to a local Rolex dealer to get an idea of its value. The store owner told him it was probably from the 1960s and possibly earlier. That is entirely possible because if his father were alive now he would be 97 years old. My buddy knew his dad wore it daily but he never asked him of it’s origin or history.

I have taken off the oyster bracelet because it is very weak and loose in places. I am waiting on my return authorization from Rollieworks but they are really backed up apparently.

The numbers are worn off between the posts, but I can see where it says “stainless steel“ above one of the obliterated numbers.

So, from these photos, can y’all give me a little info on it? I have been looking around and I am yet to find anything exactly like it. Thank you very for your input and the great site!
2watches
2watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2022, 09:10 AM   #2
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
I see no photos.
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2022, 09:37 AM   #3
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Yeah, I don’t see any pics.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2022, 09:40 AM   #4
2watches
"TRF" Member

I’m sorry, I can’t figure out how to resize the photos to post. They are too large from my phone.
Old 6 September 2022, 09:46 AM   #5
2watches
"TRF" Member

Pics, I hope

Pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg ED7A13AA-2022-474E-8A47-FDB77355C991.jpeg (107.0 KB, 388 views)
File Type: jpeg 28A29D6F-5811-42B6-B2CF-16EF0D808CEC.jpeg (123.2 KB, 399 views)
Old 6 September 2022, 09:48 AM   #6
2watches
"TRF" Member

I think the photos worked. By the way, I do not see “Swiss“ or anything like that at the bottom of the dial. Maybe because of the acrylic Crystal blocking it?
Old 6 September 2022, 09:58 AM   #7
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Looks like a Tudor Oyster 7965 but the dial has been repainted to a Rolex...

These Tudors are relatively cheaper compared to the Rolex counterparts so not sure what deal you struck but I would look up used sales on ebay for a indication.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2022, 10:07 AM   #8
2watches
"TRF" Member

Bracelet
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D8818289-3EC8-44DD-95CB-35E17DE91DC5.jpeg (90.8 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpeg 698E0E4F-D69E-47BA-A78B-7E0FEFEA9ADE.jpeg (67.0 KB, 384 views)
Old 6 September 2022, 10:47 AM   #9
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Yeah. Looks like a Tudor, no?
Old 6 September 2022, 10:54 AM   #10
2watches
"TRF" Member

Well, I don’t think I am hurt by the deal I did, I am in it for about $700 and sentimental value to boot. Thanks for the input, does everyone pretty much agree with the mentioned Tudor theory?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 066B03BA-0FDB-4315-BF49-B0174F18D73A.jpeg (93.8 KB, 371 views)
Old 6 September 2022, 11:01 AM   #11
goheel
"TRF" Member

With a non-original dial, I wouldn’t pay $700 for it.
goheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2022, 11:04 AM   #12
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2watches View Post
Well, I don’t think I am hurt by the deal I did, I am in it for about $700 and sentimental value to boot. Thanks for the input, does everyone pretty much agree with the mentioned Tudor theory?
Yes. It's a Tudor "smile dial" (for the shape of the "Self-winding") repainted to say "Rolex."

It looks like a 1950s/60s model, but the caseback looks newer.

It might be worth sourcing an authentic Tudor dial if you want to do it properly.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2022, 11:39 AM   #13
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
Yes. It's a Tudor "smile dial" (for the shape of the "Self-winding") repainted to say "Rolex."

It looks like a 1950s/60s model, but the caseback looks newer.

It might be worth sourcing an authentic Tudor dial if you want to do it properly.
Agree with this suggestion - you should be able to source a spare Tudor dial for this model with a bit of patience.

Good luck.
Old 6 September 2022, 04:38 PM   #14
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
I'd whip the bracelet off and see if any numbers between lugs- pls photograph if so. If there are not it will be a earlier watch where the numbers (serial and model) would have been on top of each other on the outer caseback - Given all this, I'd remove the caseback and photograph the movement/calibre - if everything works out the £500 you paid, with say locating a £200-250 dial, is about its money (esp as a c and I bracelet @19mm is about £200-300 if it's legit, even if scruffy)
Well, give me all you got but not love"
DIFFERENT FOR GIRLS - Joe Jackson
TuRo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2022, 05:17 PM   #15
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Make sure that bottom left springbar is in properly. The hole looks completely empty. Usually you can see the springbar sitting inside it.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2022, 10:06 PM   #16
2watches
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the info everyone.

As I noted in the first post, there are numbers between the lugs but they are worn away for the most part.

I apologize for my ignorance and my lack of knowledge but this is my first such watch.

So why would anyone go through the trouble of painting a Rolex logo on a Tudor face? Also, why did Rolex parts get used on a Tudor watch? Again, I am totally new at this and very green.

The last owner of this watch was not a big spender so I suspect he got a deal on it being that it is not truly a Rolex, apparently.

Thank you again for your patience and information.
2Watches
Old 6 September 2022, 10:18 PM   #17
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info everyone.

As I noted in the first post, there are numbers between the lugs but they are worn away for the most part.

I apologize for my ignorance and my lack of knowledge but this is my first such watch.

So why would anyone go through the trouble of painting a Rolex logo on a Tudor face? Also, why did Rolex parts get used on a Tudor watch? Again, I am totally new at this and very green.

The last owner of this watch was not a big spender so I suspect he got a deal on it being that it is not truly an Rolex, apparently.

Thank you again for your patience and information.
2Watches
Tudor watches were made by Rolex and used quite a few Rolex parts. Tudor was the lesser priced Rolex. Some not so honest dealers would repaint the dials to say Rolex so that they could charge more for the watch to the unsuspecting customer.

Unfortunately, today this effects the collectors value of the watch (Under $1000 in its current state IMO)
Old 6 September 2022, 10:37 PM   #18
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

My childhood friend’s father‘s watch

As others have said, the dial was reprinted. There were some Tudor date models with dual branding for some markets like England where Tudor has some Royal name value.

But as you said, the watch has some sentimental value. Possibly, in his waning years, your friend’s dad chose to have the dial refinished as you see it. Also, keep in mind, the dial works fine just the way it is - the primary function is to give reference points for the hands so you can easily deduce the current time. I’d leave the dial alone, have the bracelet rebuilt and the movement serviced.

Some day in the future, your friend may wish to buy it back from you. So leaving it “as is” preserves the dearly departed dad’s watch as it was the day before his departure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2022, 10:53 PM   #19
2watches
"TRF" Member

I think that is the route I am going to go. It keeps pretty good time, gains less than 10 seconds per day, so I can’t really argue with that. I hate to mess with stuff that doesn’t need messing with. So for now, the bracelet will get refurbished for sure.
Thanks. 2W
Old 6 September 2022, 11:07 PM   #20
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I have had several experiences where people say that they can't read numbers between the lugs, but when I look carefully with a loupe in good lighting, I can discern them. There may also be identifying information inside the case-back, and of course the rotor is likely to be branded. Opening the case is not a big deal IMO.
Old 7 September 2022, 04:44 AM   #21
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
As others have said, the dial was reprinted. There were some Tudor date models with dual branding for some markets like England where Tudor has some Royal name value.

But as you said, the watch has some sentimental value. Possibly, in his waning years, your friend’s dad chose to have the dial refinished as you see it. Also, keep in mind, the dial works fine just the way it is - the primary function is to give reference points for the hands so you can easily deduce the current time. I’d leave the dial alone, have the bracelet rebuilt and the movement serviced.

Some day in the future, your friend may wish to buy it back from you. So leaving it “as is” preserves the dearly departed dad’s watch as it was the day before his departure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'm intrigued tbh - this is obviously a post 1948 (around 90s but SM footer) photo of a piece - do you think dual branded dials were made after this point ?
Well, give me all you got but not love"
DIFFERENT FOR GIRLS - Joe Jackson
TuRo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2022, 06:28 AM   #22
2watches
"TRF" Member

I tried really hard in different lighting to see the numbers. My best guess is at the 12 o’clock position, 7225 at the 6 o’clock position the last two digits appear to be 10 or 40.
2W
Old 7 September 2022, 06:49 AM   #23
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I tried really hard in different lighting to see the numbers. My best guess is at the 12 o’clock position, 7225 at the 6 o’clock position the last two digits appear to be 10 or 40.
2W

Any chance those 2s could be 9s?

Tudor 7995 is a likely candidate.
Old 7 September 2022, 07:07 AM   #24
2watches
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles Bitchley View Post
Any chance those 2s could be 9s?

Tudor 7995 is a likely candidate.
That’s entirely possible. I struggled to see anything at all but the seven in the five are a definite.
Old 7 September 2022, 07:15 AM   #25
Nick9
"TRF" Member

2W, if you are going to spend the money to get the bracelet refurbished, it seems equally reasonable to source a correct dial. You need the four digit number on the case to do that.

If you post your location, no doubt someone will be able to help you find one.

It will never be original, but you’ll end up with a much nicer watch. Sorry to say that repainted dial is very bad in a lot of ways.
Nick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2022, 09:22 AM   #26
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

This dial isn't perfect but its probably good inspiration for an appropriate dial for this case.

'Bay item: 125482809904

The movement is likely 2483. Its worth opening the caseback and check.