The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 1 March 2016, 06:47 AM   #1
Vinyasa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 16570
Sea Dweller 4000 (116600) One Month Later

Sea Dweller 4000 (116600) One Month Review

I apologize in advance for the manifesto. Having owned and ‘operated’ my SD4K 116600 for a little over a month now, and having benefited enormously from previous reviews, I’d like to provide my initial impressions/lessons in hope that someone will find them useful.

Background: I’ve owned Rolex Subs nearly all my adult life, beginning at age 23 shortly after my U.S. Navy Commission. Gradually moved up the Rolex scale from SS to TT /Blue in 2001. Loved that dang watch, adored it really. Used part of the inheritance from my dad’s passing to purchase it; he knew I was a Rolex fanatic (WIS). Bought my wife a TT DJ in 2005 which she’s never taken off. Fell on hard times in the 2011 time frame and had to sell my TT Sub to pay the bills. It nearly broke my heart, and my wife cried as I handed it over to an AD to add to their estate portfolio, for cash. Swore on my dad’s grave and to myself I would make things right. Bought a Casio GShock, bought an AppleWatch (SS), but (surprise!) they didn’t fill the void. WIS, know thy self.

Forward to January 2016: Received a legal settlement and began searching for a suitable replacement for my Rolex TT Sub. Selection Principles: (1) Relatively low profile; (2) No PCLs, since I personally don’t care for the added bling; (3) Acceptable price point, e.g., < $10K (US); (4) Resistance to dings/scratches. Tried the SubC, but ‘been there, done that,” and if I was to rejoin the Rolex club I wanted it to be an upgrade, albeit a higher depth rating or additional complication, etc. Tried the ‘Smurf’, violating all three Selection Principles, and returned it to the AD the next day for refund after suffering night sweats… too much of a reach for me, and that Cobalt Blue… wow, it’s amazing, but violates my Principles (1) and (2), and I have to sleep at night, Principle (3). Looked at the SD4K soon thereafter and fell in love with the fully graduated ceramic bezel, brushed bracelet links and matte black dial. Principle (4) achieved with the ceramic bezel, since I know if I dinged an Explorer II bezel I’d be pissed at myself until it was sent off to a RSC. Also discovered that I prefer the missing Cyclops, even though the date can be a struggle to read until my eyes adjust. The deciding factor: the brushed links on the bracelet and the fully graduated bezel… the Submariner bezel looks incomplete to me now.

Purchase Experience: I purchased the Sea Dweller (and Smurf) from an AD. They were very helpful and knowledgeable, with a good selection of Professional-series models and DJs in stock to try on; no complaints whatsoever. They have a program – not sure if this is done elsewhere – whereby you can trade-up your purchase for an upgraded Rolex model (minus RSC servicing) at ‘cost’ within two years. That said, given all I’ve seen on this Forum, I could have used a Trusted Seller, and been completely satisfied… although the Smurf purchase/return may have presented a problem.

Fit: I really appreciate the Glidelock clasp on the Sea Dweller, and find myself adjusting it occasionally depending my level of activity. It’s a very useful contrast to my Omega Speedmaster 3570.50 that I put on a strap that I can’t seem to fit to my satisfaction, ever (6.5” wrist). The 46.25mm lug-to-lug length (see the excellent Minus4Plus6 Review) is a great fit for a smaller wrist like mine, and the weight, while notable, is appreciably less than a 18K Submariner. I also prefer the more tapered lugs on the SD4K compared to the new Submariners… again, a more understated design. And, while I dearly wanted the new 42mm Explorer II to work for me, meeting Principles (1)-(3), it was too large for my taste (lug-to-lug length). The 15mm or so height of the SD4K isn’t bothersome to me at all, but admittedly I spend most of my time in blue jeans and T/Sweatshirts. Haven’t experienced any ‘fashion faux pas’ wearing a dress suit, though, and I actually think the missing Cyclops adds a little elegance compared to the traditional Submariner line.

Accuracy: I’m very satisfied with the COSC and ‘Superlative Chronometer’ precision of the 3135 caliber movement to date. I hacked the time to the Rolex Forum and U.S. Naval Observatory time a couple of weeks ago, and it has averaged about 2 seconds/day fast. Not too shabby. Not to Apple Watch specs, mind you (LOL), but I don’t have to plug it in every night either. One less charger to take on travel is always a good thing.

Overall: I’m a very satisfied Sea Dweller 4000 owner. It’s been said on this Forum that Rolex watches are aspirational, and I would agree. I’ve signed up for Scuba Certification classes in April. It’s been on my bucket list for years, and this purchase finally pushed me to get it done. Albeit in a wetsuit or dry suit, since I do live in Maine where the ocean temps are 62F (16.7C) in August. It is my grail watch? Too soon to tell, but after a month I still look down at my wrist and smile. Heading to Scotland to hike the Highlands around my 6 month SD anniversary; perhaps another review will be in order with an Everest (get moving, Everest!) or RubberB strap. Or another Explorer I/II 39-40mm review… time will tell.

Sorry again for the length, hope this is useful to potential SD4K buyers. Love this Forum!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_0179_1024.jpg (63.0 KB, 2127 views)
Vinyasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2016, 06:57 AM   #2
ralpie
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Awesome review- definitely on the wish list for me.
ralpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2016, 07:11 AM   #3
El Cascarrabias
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyasa View Post
Accuracy: I’m very satisfied with the COSC and ‘Superlative Chronometer’ precision of the 3135 caliber movement to date. I hacked the time to the Rolex Forum and U.S. Naval Observatory time a couple of weeks ago, and it has averaged about 2 seconds/day fast. Not too shabby . . .
You may see that improve. Mine started out, I believe, around 3 seconds fast per day. Today, last day of the month, it will be 5 seconds fast for the month. One month it was 4 seconds fast. That was the best it's done. I've had it as much as 10+ seconds fast for the month. I'm sure how it's worn has an effect and causes the variation.

Impressive movement in the SDc.
El Cascarrabias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2016, 07:22 AM   #4
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Nice review
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2016, 07:29 AM   #5
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

Sounds like the SD4K is the perfect watch for you! looks great, enjoy
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2016, 07:59 AM   #6
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
Great review.

I appreciate you taking the time. Often it's a wrist shot and welcome. I like you taking the time to help us understand how you connected with the watch.

Enjoy it for decades to come!
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2016, 11:23 AM   #7
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
Great review. I went to the AD last week. Walking in I was 99% sure I was going to get the Explorer. After trying it on then trying on the SD4K I left with a new goal. This review is great. It's very easy to like a Rolex at the AD but it's another thing to know what it will be like with some real wrist time. Thank you for taking the time to do such a great write up. Looking forward to your 6 month highland review.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2016, 11:39 AM   #8
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
I've searched and googled and short of going into an AD and inspecting it myself, I can't tell what the difference is in lugs between the SubC and the SD4k. Is it the thickness or the width that differs? In pics they look nearly identical!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1 March 2016, 12:02 PM   #9
roadie1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Divers, GMT
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456797640.443452.jpg

Nice review! Beautiful lab! My SDC and chocolate lab playing frisbee on the beach!

roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2016, 12:05 PM   #10
dualcarb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lover
Great review. Thank you for it. Great watch, congrats...and looking forward to your update...
dualcarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2016, 01:21 PM   #11
seand442
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
Two thumbs up. One for the watch, one for the dog. I love labs.
Old 1 March 2016, 11:54 PM   #12
Vinyasa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post
I've searched and googled and short of going into an AD and inspecting it myself, I can't tell what the difference is in lugs between the SubC and the SD4k. Is it the thickness or the width that differs? In pics they look nearly identical!

The SubC has the 'super' case, with larger/wider lugs that do not taper like the SD4K. Both are 40mm (10 o'clock - 4 o'clock) in diameter, but the SD4K feels a little smaller to me despite the thicker case and crystal. Hope this helps.
Old 2 March 2016, 01:19 AM   #13
Tarandy
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I used too ponder this lug difference between the two watches and after lots of studying decided, I thought they mention the lugs into which the strap/ bracelet fits.where as now I believe it to mean the lugs that protect the crown.. Hope I'm right and this helps
Tarandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2016, 03:48 AM   #14
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Sea Dweller 4000 (116600) One Month Later

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyasa View Post
The SubC has the 'super' case, with larger/wider lugs that do not taper like the SD4K. Both are 40mm (10 o'clock - 4 o'clock) in diameter, but the SD4K feels a little smaller to me despite the thicker case and crystal. Hope this helps.

So the SD4K is similar to the non ceramic subs' lugs? I tried to see the difference between a SD4K and a SubC but to no avail! I'll really have to go check it out in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarandy View Post
I used too ponder this lug difference between the two watches and after lots of studying decided, I thought they mention the lugs into which the strap/ bracelet fits.where as now I believe it to mean the lugs that protect the crown.. Hope I'm right and this helps

Really... I thought those were called crown guards?

Old 2 March 2016, 04:29 AM   #15
Vinyasa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So the SD4K is similar to the non ceramic subs' lugs? I tried to see the difference between a SD4K and a SubC but to no avail! I'll really have to go check it out in person.

That's my impression from trying on the SD4K and SubC. IMO, the SD4K case is closer to the older Submariner form.

Really... I thought those were called crown guards?

That's my understanding as well.
Old 2 March 2016, 10:46 AM   #16
El Cascarrabias
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarandy View Post
Sorry . . .

You were right, now you're wrong.

The spring bars fit between the lugs and the lugs are larger on the SubC than the SD4k. If you're unable to see it in pictures you will need to go to an AD and try them on. It will be evident.

And many like the look of larger lugs. The SubC sells well.
El Cascarrabias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2016, 11:04 AM   #17
TripleB Boston
Banned

Watch: GMTII Blue/Red
Quote:
after a month I still look down at my wrist and smile.
This is what it's all about. Great review. Hope the SD4K brings years of smiles.
TripleB Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2016, 07:16 PM   #18
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Very nice review - picked up an SD4000 fairly soon after its initial release but moved it on as it just did not do it for me. Despite being a four/ five digit sports fan, I then picked up the SubC which I must say I really like. Your review and some other recent updates on this forum might move me back towards adding the SD4000 again though ....good luck!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2016, 06:32 AM   #19
kamonjj
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Great review. Made me very happy about my new edition. Picked mine up Friday. Loving it so far

Gone but not forgotten: Way too many to remember!
kamonjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2016, 06:53 AM   #20
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Nice review Steve! Thank you!

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2016, 10:35 PM   #21
rwolfhaus123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Zenith El Primero
Nice review...great looking dog!

Happy Easter!
rwolfhaus123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2016, 02:04 AM   #22
jcs2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller
Great review; the lab in the pics is awesome as well.
jcs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2016, 10:58 AM   #23
Vinyasa
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the kind words/feedback! I'm gratified that it was of some value.

Here's another picture from by budding photographer daughter. Enjoy!

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7133.jpg (72.4 KB, 1679 views)
Old 29 March 2016, 11:01 AM   #24
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Great review STEVE. Thank you for taking the time to write it. The SD4k is a beauty for sure!
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2016, 02:53 AM   #25
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Congrats, must have sucked to sell the TT. But good on you for bouncing back strong. Wear in good health!
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2016, 04:10 AM   #26
Vinyasa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs2000 View Post
Great review; the lab in the pics is awesome as well.
Thanks. New addition(s)... 16570 Explorer II and Yellow Lab. Review of both to follow shortly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0272.JPG (99.8 KB, 1647 views)
Old 30 March 2016, 04:20 AM   #27
Vinyasa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
Congrats, must have sucked to sell the TT. But good on you for bouncing back strong. Wear in good health!
You're right... it sucked. Big Time. But life has a way of teaching one lessons, if we seize the opportunity to actually learn from our mistakes. But, of course, you know this. I'm a slow learner!
Old 30 March 2016, 05:16 AM   #28
jinikari01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
great review and I couldn't agree more.
my personal taste is DS over sub c.
proportionally and the way it fits on the wrist DS is spot on.
jinikari01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2016, 08:48 PM   #29
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Nice write up, the SD4 is a great watch, very well balanced looks
Old 31 March 2016, 10:25 PM   #30
busytimmy
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Enjoyed reading this. Great watch. Enjoy!

busytimmy is offline   Reply With Quote