The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 June 2014, 01:00 AM   #1
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
Rolex and Sales Job

I have recently been transitioning into a sales position at work. We have a smaller family owned business in the healthcare market where it's extremely price competitive. Our customers are always beating us up on price and our own margins on products don't allow us to move much. I will start to have a lot more customer interaction and I'm asking the question should I being wearing a Rolex when that happens. Will our customers see an expensive watch on my wrist and think "Oh he cant give me a better price but his flashing this Rolex around". Or could they see is as a sign of success and appreciation for a nice watch and respect me more. I tend to think the first thought and would rather wear my watches on my personal time, just in case. How do you guys feel?
Ferdelious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 01:06 AM   #2
mjm800
"TRF" Member

No one except a watch nut will notice your watch. Even if someone does, most people will think it is fake or not even a Rolex. I was sitting next to a guy at a BBQ, we started to talk watches, he was not a watch guy. He was surprised to learn my polar Exp II was a Rolex he said he thought is was a Citizen.

People just don't care as much as we do...it's a fact.
Old 13 June 2014, 01:07 AM   #3
ExplorerChris
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 16550
I'd wear it.
Yes it can be viewed as a status symbol and a high end luxury item.
To me it says I have great taste, I appriciate quality, craftsmanship and a rich brand history.
It's a symbol of achievement to be enjoyed.
I say we're it and enjoy it.

A Watch Is Just A Watch
A Rolex Is A Timepiece
ExplorerChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 01:09 AM   #4
floater156
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I would not wear it. People are quick to judge others.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
Old 13 June 2014, 01:11 AM   #5
Annan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplorerChris View Post
I'd wear it.
Yes it can be viewed as a status symbol and a high end luxury item.
To me it says I have great taste, I appriciate quality, craftsmanship and a rich brand history.
I say we're it and enjoy it.
X2
And, per another comment, I had a similar experience with my TTDJ. A friend asked the time and commented "nice watch". He also thought it was a Citizen. Yep, most folks don't recognize the brand....they just see a pretty watch.
Old 13 June 2014, 01:13 AM   #6
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
If someone points it out just say it was a gift
Old 13 June 2014, 01:14 AM   #7
paltak
"TRF" Member

With or without an expensive timepiece, it's how you conduct yourself that counts. Wear it with pride and enjoy!
paltak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 01:18 AM   #8
elcompa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 118206
Quote:
Originally Posted by floater156 View Post
I would not wear it. People are quick to judge others.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
^^THIS^^ You are going into sales. Why add a hurdle you don't need to deal with? Why run the risk of turning anybody off? If you are always getting beat up on price, as you mention, looking even remotely affluent will certainly, without a doubt work against you. You will never know who many sales you lost due to turning people off psychologically. I see this as a sales "no brainer".

Seeming "equal to" or perhaps one sliver of class above your clients is fine and even smart. Wearing traditional wealth markers that state to many that "I have made it" is a risky proposition.
elcompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 01:19 AM   #9
skeen
"TRF" Member

Nobody is even going to know. A lot of people seem to share this delusion on this forum that their watch screams, "HEY, I'M A ROLEX!" Only someone who cares about watches like we do would even recognise your watch as being so.

I think there's a subset of Rolex owners for whom this is a disappointment. Some owners seem to think people are thinking about their watch as much as they are, and that could not be further from the truth.
skeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 01:19 AM   #10
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm800 View Post
No one except a watch nut will notice your watch. Even if someone does, most people will think it is fake or not even a Rolex. I was sitting next to a guy at a BBQ, we started to talk watches, he was not a watch guy. He was surprised to learn my polar Exp II was a Rolex he said he thought is was a Citizen.

People just don't care as much as we do...it's a fact.
Anyone who is conscious of appearance and marketing can put two and two together. Don't have to be a WIS to know that a watch is special. Just have to be observant. I've had plenty of people compliment me on my watches without knowing what they are.

I think if you are concerned about being judged in your sales position then you are right to question wearing it when meeting with clients. Even if it's just one customer that gets the wrong impression then why take that chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeen View Post
Nobody is even going to know. A lot of people seem to share this delusion on this forum that their watch screams, "HEY, I'M A ROLEX!" Only someone who cares about watches like we do would even recognise your watch as being so.

I think there's a subset of Rolex owners for whom this is a disappointment. Some owners seem to think people are thinking about their watch as much as they are, and that could not be further from the truth.
Couldn't disagree more!!

This isn't a private cult we're in, it's an accessory we wear and enjoy, that accessory is marketed pretty well and is in the social sphere. JMHO
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 01:22 AM   #11
Travelair007
"TRF" Member

Sales is a huge part of what I do, and you are on the right track with your thought process...The fact that you care (your question shows that) and that you are aware of the potential impact is important...The ability to sell is not just in the speech, but the experience that you create for your customer.

I think you have to put yourself in their shoes, mindset, look at it from their vantage point etc...If a $1M company rep showed up to a meeting wearing a $50K flashy gold watch, I would certainly feel different than if a commercial banker showed up to discuss our debt wearing that same watch....

The same goes for your suit, tie, the car that you pull up with in their driveway, etc....It all matters...guys like us who do this for a living understand that and know when to turn it on and turn it off....
Travelair007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 01:23 AM   #12
skeen
"TRF" Member

Or maybe it's all in your head?
skeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 01:24 AM   #13
wantonebad

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagada2009 View Post
Sales is a huge part of what I do, and you are on the right track with your thought process...The fact that you care (your question shows that) and that you are aware of the potential impact is important...The ability to sell is not just in the speech, but the experience that you create for your customer.

I think you have to put yourself in their shoes, mindset, look at it from their vantage point etc...If a $1M company rep showed up to a meeting wearing a $50K flashy gold watch, I would certainly feel different than if a commercial banker showed up to discuss our debt wearing that same watch....

The same goes for your suit, tie, the car that you pull up with in their driveway, etc....It all matters...guys like us who do this for a living understand that and know when to turn it on and turn it off....
AGREED!!
Old 13 June 2014, 01:25 AM   #14
mjm800
"TRF" Member

My realtor wore a Rolex and about 20K is jewelry.

My car salesman wears a Rolex

The guy that came to give me an estimate on putting in new flooring wore a Rolex

All sales that wore a Rolex and I did not think any less of them.
Old 13 June 2014, 01:26 AM   #15
Travelair007
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The guy that came to give me an estimate on putting in new flooring wore a Rolex

Yes, but no offense, you wear one too and you're only one data point....

After years of dealing with customers, you start thinking more like they do....and sometimes, little things can turn them off...
Travelair007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 01:28 AM   #16
wantonebad

Quote:

I get your point but different industry. A successful car salesman or real estate broker gets deals done and thrives on volume, success or the appearance of success isn't a negative necessarily.
Old 13 June 2014, 01:35 AM   #17
Micha
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263, 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcompa View Post
^^THIS^^ You are going into sales. Why add a hurdle you don't need to deal with? Why run the risk of turning anybody off? If you are always getting beat up on price, as you mention, looking even remotely affluent will certainly, without a doubt work against you. You will never know who many sales you lost due to turning people off psychologically. I see this as a sales "no brainer".

Seeming "equal to" or perhaps one sliver of class above your clients is fine and even smart. Wearing traditional wealth markers that state to many that "I have made it" is a risky proposition.
well stated, why take a chance
Old 13 June 2014, 01:53 AM   #18
ExplorerChris
"TRF" Member

Guess its different for me
I've been in sales most of my, several years with a famous family owned crystal dynasty from Austria. And another famous Jewlery company from Denmark so I wear my Rolex and I've had clients that have commented favorably. For me I feel like it says I'm successful, I'm good at what I do and know what I'm doing.
Can't say as I've ever felt wearing it has hurt my bottom line.

A Watch Is Just A Watch
A Rolex Is A Timepiece
Old 13 June 2014, 01:53 AM   #19
77T

Rolex and Sales Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagada2009 View Post

Yes this is true in my experience - we trained our reps in psychological selling techniques. It's interesting how different people react subconsciously to barely perceptible triggers.

To the OP: As for the Rolex, you'd need to understand the client better before knowing the impact your watch has.

Perhaps to be on the safe side, wear nothing for next 90 days. Notice your clients' wristwear and compliment the ones with models you like. If they seem knowledgeable and tell you what they like about the ones they wear, you gain some good data points. That way you can ask their opinions of Rolex or Omega, etc.

Proceed from there...

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 02:07 AM   #20
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
A tasteful stainless steel Rolex is not likely to be noticed, even by the most picky client. It is still a rare individual that can recognize a Rolex on sight and even fewer that can spot a Patek.

A gold Day Date with a pave' dial would be another matter. Even a Department Store bling watch that cost a couple hundred will turn more heads than a stainless Daytona..

Making a neutral impression is about not being in-your-face and not about what brand name you may have on..
Old 13 June 2014, 02:13 AM   #21
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
My rolex doesn't normally go to sales calls on my wrist. I get beat up over pennies in my job. I wear my Omega Aqua Terra, which (at least in my head) isn't as noticeable as a "Rolex". I'd leave it at home.
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 02:15 AM   #22
samuelhuntington
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167, 16570, 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
A tasteful stainless steel Rolex is not likely to be noticed, even by the most picky client. It is still a rare individual that can recognize a Rolex on sight and even fewer that can spot a Patek.

A gold Day Date with a pave' dial would be another matter. Even a Department Store bling watch that cost a couple hundred will turn more heads than a stainless Daytona..

Making a neutral impression is about not being in-your-face and not about what brand name you may have on..
This.

What kind of rolex do you wear? I think most anything stainless will be just fine. Let's face it you only have to save about 5-8k to own most stainless models.

If you are wearing a 15k + gold or two tone model I would not wear it myself. If so get a stainless work watch and keep your precious medal watch for nights and weekends.
samuelhuntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 02:21 AM   #23
Lgear080
Banned

You should make your clients comfortable first.

Who cares about the watch as long as you're delivering
Excellence? Sounds like you guys could use some sales
Help too. Obviously focusing on price is useless.
Lgear080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 02:22 AM   #24
diapers
"TRF" Member

I actually agree that most people can tell if a watch is a rolex nowadays, especially in my country, Singapore, whereby most people are brands conscious.

I work in the sales line too, whereby commission and pricing of products are part and parcel of a discussion.
I can say for sure that some of my clients are not as receptive knowing that I wear a rolex and yet am strict on pricing/discounts etc.
Some just keep thinking how much you must be earning from them, and if it's thus a wise choice to go with you.

How you conduct yourself as what was mentioned is definitely an utmost importance and it should be the way whether you're wearing a rolex or not, and for that matter, in any profession.

Back to the sales industry, Why take the chance.

But that being said, I still wear them on a pretty regular basis. More on the exp II tho, cos it's just more under the radar than the others.
And to the ones whom are more receptive and curious to listen to my thoughts, I sincerely explain that it's meant to be passed on to my children, and other than a tool watch that most of them are, they are quite a steady option as an alternative/exotic investment, price increase every year etc.
This has worked out well to my favor most of the time. :)
diapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 02:23 AM   #25
Tseg
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II BLNR
  1. Very few will notice your watch
  2. Of those that do, very few will know the brand
  3. Of those that do, very few will know the cost
  4. Of those that don't know the cost, they likely don't care
  5. Of those that know the cost and cannot afford one, you likely don't want to be selling to them anyway
  6. Of those that know the cost and can afford one, likely have one on their arm as well, in which case they will respect you and you have a personal talking point to advance the dialogue
Tseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 02:26 AM   #26
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

^ this. Get yourself a Patek.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 02:43 AM   #27
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
You guys crack me up, I wonder why I'm even here sometimes.

If you sit down with your Rolex and frenched cuff shirt with someone making $50k a year and just struggling to survive you really think that will go over well in a sales environment...

People know what a Rolex is and if anything have misconceptions about the cost. You may have script and saved for that $5,000 16610 and they think you paid $20k for it.

Buy an Omega for work
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 02:44 AM   #28
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplorerChris View Post
Modest too...
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 02:52 AM   #29
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ
Quote:

It's not a matter of thinking less of them; the OP's point is will wearing a Rolex look to his customers like he could save them a bit more $ if his commissions were not high enough to afford so expensive a watch.

It's a point worth considering...
Old 13 June 2014, 02:53 AM   #30
ExplorerChris
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
Modest too...
Modest has no place in sales.
If I'm not good at what I do clients pick up on that and then have no confidence in anything I have to say.
That effects my bottom line.
I pride myself on what I do and how I do it from the time I served my country until now.

Life is far too short to worry about what people think.

A Watch Is Just A Watch
A Rolex Is A Timepiece