The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 June 2014, 02:56 AM   #31
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm800 View Post
No one except a watch nut will notice your watch. Even if someone does, most people will think it is fake or not even a Rolex. I was sitting next to a guy at a BBQ, we started to talk watches, he was not a watch guy. He was surprised to learn my polar Exp II was a Rolex he said he thought is was a Citizen.

People just don't care as much as we do...it's a fact.
that is by no means "a fact"

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 03:02 AM   #32
StaceeJaxx
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm800 View Post
No one except a watch nut will notice your watch. Even if someone does, most people will think it is fake or not even a Rolex. I was sitting next to a guy at a BBQ, we started to talk watches, he was not a watch guy. He was surprised to learn my polar Exp II was a Rolex he said he thought is was a Citizen.

People just don't care as much as we do...it's a fact.
This
StaceeJaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 03:10 AM   #33
samuelhuntington
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167, 16570, 5513
[QUOTE=azguy;5025466]You guys crack me up, I wonder why I'm even here sometimes.

Well you could be here to learn and hear points of view that differ from you own.
Op said he was in the health care industry, there's a little bit of money in that business, I don't think a stainless rolex is that offensive. Gold models, differ t story. Just my two cents.
samuelhuntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 03:11 AM   #34
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdelious View Post
I have recently been transitioning into a sales position at work. We have a smaller family owned business in the healthcare market where it's extremely price competitive. Our customers are always beating us up on price and our own margins on products don't allow us to move much. I will start to have a lot more customer interaction and I'm asking the question should I being wearing a Rolex when that happens. Will our customers see an expensive watch on my wrist and think "Oh he cant give me a better price but his flashing this Rolex around". Or could they see is as a sign of success and appreciation for a nice watch and respect me more. I tend to think the first thought and would rather wear my watches on my personal time, just in case. How do you guys feel?
i had a similar conversation with a colleague and i was going to write a scroll on this but, the below might sum it up...

in sales (and life) when possible, never outshine the master --- the master is always who pays the bills. so why take a chance?

good luck building your business and work HARD!
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 03:31 AM   #35
GolfPunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Daytona
Wear it everyday and enjoy it...most won't notice, those that do may think 'he's got a bit of class' if they're negative about it so be it but that's highly unlikely! It's just a watch that you get pleasure in wearing personally so wear and enjoy!!
GolfPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 03:36 AM   #36
Frosty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
I think a lot of people are missing the point that you are in health care sales and health care is a hot button on price. My brother-in-laws insulin went up from $35 a month to $150 with the same insurance in one month. I am sure he would be happy to deal with someone that was trying to sell him a policy wearing a Rolex.

I agree that very few people notice a Rolex at a glance, but, is that also true when you are handing a lot of paperwork back and forth across the table to a potential client.

Selling anything else, I think wearing a Rolex would either be a plus or a neutral. Health care sales, I think it would be a serious negative. Get a nice Seiko or Citizen for work and no one will care. jmho
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 03:52 AM   #37
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
I think a lot of people are missing the point that you are in health care sales and health care is a hot button on price. My brother-in-laws insulin went up from $35 a month to $150 with the same insurance in one month. I am sure he would be happy to deal with someone that was trying to sell him a policy wearing a Rolex.

I agree that very few people notice a Rolex at a glance, but, is that also true when you are handing a lot of paperwork back and forth across the table to a potential client.

Selling anything else, I think wearing a Rolex would either be a plus or a neutral. Health care sales, I think it would be a serious negative. Get a nice Seiko or Citizen for work and no one will care. jmho
I agree I think healthcare is such an emotive issue that wearing a Rolex when fighting over the price of such an important service is not the smart sales move. Discretion is the better part of valour here.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 03:54 AM   #38
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post

I agree I think healthcare is such an emotive issue that wearing a Rolex when fighting over the price of such an important service is not the smart sales move. Discretion is the better part of valour here.
Couldn't agree more!!

Well said!
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 04:00 AM   #39
Landshark33

Watch: SubC
I have been in sales all my life and have always worn Rolex. That being said it has always been one of the stainless models. Highly unlikely that they would notice but I personally wouldn't let that dictate what I wear. The only time I choose not to wear one of my watches is when safety/security is a concern (or when working out).
Landshark33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 04:03 AM   #40
tfly212
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona or BLNR
Been sales for 15 years and every client beats you up on price...that's how it goes. They won't see a watch as an indication of your margins and how much of a price break they can get. That is unless you are wearing a huge diamond encrusted piece (which if you are, please stop) and you roll up to their office in a Maybach then maybe it would be an issue. A stainless rolex probably won't get a second glance.
tfly212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 04:03 AM   #41
tedscott3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Some will notice and not care. Some will notice and care. As a sales guy myself I see where you are coming from. If you feel uncomfortable then don't wear it.
tedscott3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 04:13 AM   #42
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
Just be yourself.
Old 13 June 2014, 04:23 AM   #43
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
Just to clarify a little bit, our business is not at all glamorous, selling me too type products that with today's insurance reimbursement need to be price competitive. But it doesn't mean that there isn't money to be made and you can make a great living. Most of our customers are not huge corporations but rather small mom and pop distributors. I have 4 SS sports models and would most likely wear a 39mm Explorer I if I wore anything at all. For me its Rolex or nothing, unless I'm running and need GPS.

I actually just had lunch with a potential customer that was wearing a 16610 but he worked for a large company. He wants us to make products for his line and he is going to need it to be priced very competitive. I wasnt wearing my watch but wondered would he have noticed it and thought anything. I didn't mention his watch to him but will in the future after getting to know him more and if we are in a more casual setting.
Ferdelious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 04:27 AM   #44
Tseg
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II BLNR
I'm telling you, people don't know one watch from another. I used to think the Cyclops was a sure sign it was a Rolex... but now that I bought a Rolex and look closer 9 of 10 times its an 'homage'. Of the 1 out of 10 times, how many of them are fake? This is a non-issue thread.

As most have said, be yourself, few will notice and most that notice won't care. If you get called out you could lie and say it was a gift but me, I would explain how I appreciate paying a premium for quality... identify a few of the premium attributes of a Rolex like gold hands and medical quality steel to prevent corrosion... then tie that to the quality attributes of what you are selling and why your device commands a premium.
Tseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 04:46 AM   #45
77T

Rolex and Sales Job

Well if you do choose to wear it In the office, you could always use it as a prop for a sales motivation talk....

See this at the 2:45 mark >>> http://youtu.be/zCf46yHIzSo

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 04:47 AM   #46
Presa canary
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer ii
Wear your rolex. It won't inhibit any sales....
Presa canary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 05:36 AM   #47
ronburgundy
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Explorer I? I'd wear it. Before I got into this watch hobby, I rarely noticed anybody's watch, unless it was YG or had diamonds or something. I am of the opinion that most people won't notice your Explorer I. If you had a YG YMII or something, that'd be a different story. I'm with Tools on this one. I work in an office with about 200 people and I wear short sleeves during the summer months. No one has ever noticed my BLNR or said a word about it, and with the PCLs it does shine a bit. Explorer I is not a flashy, hey look at me type of watch, I find it hard to believe that anyone would be offended by it.
ronburgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 05:45 AM   #48
Glidelock
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDC4000, Sub LVC
If say wear it, most people like to deal with successful people regardless of current negotiations. That said, if someone comments on it, you can always say it was a gift or an award from the company for having so many satisfied clients!
Glidelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 05:57 AM   #49
JCZ5
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I concur that a non WIS is not going to pay any attention to your watch. If anything, most people pay attention to your suit, shirt, tie and shoes. With that argument should you also just wear suits from Kohls?

Also, I find it funny no one questions wearing a well fit tailored suit. If anything, an expensive suit makes you look a lot better and clients place more trust in you than wearing a cheap suit off the rack (untailored, unfit, etc).
JCZ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 06:20 AM   #50
marine 337
"TRF" Member

was in sales for 35 years{copy equipment}. First thing I always told my clients is that it cost a little more to deal with me. They would all question why. I would always say you can buy it cheaper but then your not getting the quality you deserve. I always stressed the extras dealing with me justified the cost. Be confident in yourself---clients want to see and hear it. I would push the order sheet over and tell them to sign away----plus a check. gotta get paid. 99% got me a check and then said thank you. I always backed up my rhetoric and never lost a customer over price. i always wore a sub and was proud. Sell yourself honestly and in good faith---it just works. I was a young high school Kid with no education but I had a brass pair who the clients trusted. An old saying I lived by==no one should ever shit on your head if you use ya mouth and speak up. Confidence sells ----plain and simple

Ken
marine 337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 06:21 AM   #51
bparone
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, DJII, Smstr
Considering the industry and your product/service value prop being a commodity, I wouldn't. I never say that when people post these questions.
bparone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 06:35 AM   #52
c.rod
"TRF" Member

i personally wouldnt wear it. In all honesty it depends on the sales "arena" if it will be a good sign or a bad one. From what you mentioned about them beating you up etc. Sounds like it could be a bad move. This could be an opportunity to add a "lesser" watch to your collection to wear out in the field. I have an ORIS that fills that role in a way. IMO i think oris is the best bang for your buck out there. They still arent cheap by any means, but a lot cheaper than rolex and no one knows what they are. Even a lot of WIS arent to familiar with them.

The main problem is "most" people know of/what rolex is. Even if they know it means $$$.
c.rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 06:38 AM   #53
c.rod
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1fanatic View Post
I concur that a non WIS is not going to pay any attention to your watch. If anything, most people pay attention to your suit, shirt, tie and shoes. With that argument should you also just wear suits from Kohls?

Also, I find it funny no one questions wearing a well fit tailored suit. If anything, an expensive suit makes you look a lot better and clients place more trust in you than wearing a cheap suit off the rack (untailored, unfit, etc).
Besides looking like a million bucks, the general public wouldnt think a $4k suit was expensive unless it had a (insert mainstream brand logo here) on it....

so imo. you can still wear very expensive, nice things and still be under the radar because the lack of mainstream logos...
c.rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 06:43 AM   #54
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
I think the way you approach your customers and the way you do business will have more effect on sales than wearing your watch.
That being said I am sure that showing off expensive items like cars or watches is not considered wise where I come from.
joli160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 06:44 AM   #55
Annan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233
I think that anyone who worries, in any situation, what people might think if he/she wears a Rolex, is too damned wrapped up in himself/herself.
Old 13 June 2014, 06:47 AM   #56
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
A tasteful stainless steel Rolex is not likely to be noticed, even by the most picky client. It is still a rare individual that can recognize a Rolex on sight and even fewer that can spot a Patek.

A gold Day Date with a pave' dial would be another matter. Even a Department Store bling watch that cost a couple hundred will turn more heads than a stainless Daytona..

Making a neutral impression is about not being in-your-face and not about what brand name you may have on..
Completely agree, a SS Rolex will not even be noticed. If you wear one with loads of diamonds and gold, then maybe that's a bit different.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 06:58 AM   #57
GTC
Banned

Watch: 126660
Some people think wearing a Rolex is pretentious. I don't know where the add below came from, Rolex or a Rolex seller, but it feels cheesy, shallow, and part of the problem with negative perception. I'm also intrigued that the add agency below feels that getting people to say, "Yay me!" can sell a watch. Yeesh.

In my job as the regional director of a global NGO I can get away with wearing an Explorer II, while wearing a SS Sub or GMT-Master II would raise some eyebrows and possibly elicit a comment or two, there is no way I could wear a TT or YG anything. In my part time gig in state law enforcement, no one cares.

So, understand expectations, and don't wear anything that makes you worry about what people might be thinking about it because that will suck the joy out of wearing a great watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SwissExpoArrived.jpg (76.6 KB, 104 views)
GTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 07:05 AM   #58
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
I am also in sales and do not care what they think about my watch, my money, my life.
Just my 2 ct.

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 07:10 AM   #59
GTC
Banned

Watch: 126660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annan View Post
I think that anyone who worries, in any situation, what people might think if he/she wears a Rolex, is too damned wrapped up in himself/herself.
It's a completely legitimate concern if it can effect your business, positive or negative. E.g., PR agencies exist by tending the perception of one group on another, or publicists often by tending the perception of a group on an individual or project like a movie. There are numerous policies in the state law enforcement agency I serve that are mostly or exclusively about the perception of the public.

Tending perception by itself is not overly egocentric; it is the motive for why it is being tended that make it legitimate or a problem. If you're tending perception in order to keep your clients, constituents, or the public you serve the most comfortable with you, that could be a legitimate expression of that kind of relational management. If on the other hand you just have to wear a Rolex in order to deceive people in to thinking you're a person of greater means than you actually are, or to communicate your actual affluence in order to feel better about yourself, well I would respectfully suggest that's more the kind of problem you allude to in your post; and, the latter reason maybe is what the add two posts above is trying to pander to.
GTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 07:12 AM   #60
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Millions wear Rolex which tends to suggest that whilst they are expensive, they are still well within the reach of a great deal of people. As someone stated earlier, many people will not notice and equally as many will not care. Just enjoy it!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote