The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 30 December 2019, 06:41 AM   #1
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

Question re stone dial DDs

I saw the below comment posted in a VRF FS thread for a no-markers lapis dial 18238 DD -

“Dial is not original, probably a datejust dial that was modified. There's no plain lapis dial available for day-date, always with diamond indexes or 6-9 index with diamonds.” (Emphasis added.)

I understand this is correct today, and perhaps it is true since 2000 for all 6-digit DDs, but it is not correct for all older models. I believe 180xx DDs were always (1977-88) offered with no-markers dials in lapis (as well as onyx, tiger eye, etc.), as were 182xx DDs, at least for some of their run (1988-99). (Dates are IIRC.) The 6&9-only diamond markers did appear on stone dials sometime before 2000, perhaps that was when the no-markers dials ended - ?

Can anyone tell me when the no-markers stone dials were first offered on DDs (pre-‘77?), and when they ceased? Are the dates different for no-markers lapis vs. onyx or other stone dial DDs?
miamiclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2019, 09:10 AM   #2
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

There are 5 digit references (and potentially 4 digit too) without markers. No idea why that guy would think someone altered a stone datejust dial (which are notoriously delicate) to turn it into a day-date? Doesn't make any sense. I'm not sure which year they started, but 1977 is probably close. Here's a Phillips auction with a bunch of them: https://www.phillips.com/auctions/auction/CH080115

Also here's my tiger eye datejust, just looking for an excuse to post it!
HarryLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2019, 12:01 PM   #3
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Snowflake
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLime View Post

Also here's my tiger eye datejust, just looking for an excuse to post it!

That is a killer watch. The lack of the day and the gold jubilee sets it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
tekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2019, 09:13 AM   #4
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

No marker dial did not end you could get both after 2000

Never seen a 1800 stone dial only a 1600 series date just late production

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 31 December 2019, 09:50 AM   #5
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Maybe I'm misunderstanding... you've never seen a stone dial day-date (18xx or 18xxx) without any markers? I feel like I see them all the time, but then again I'm constantly searching for stone dials...

https://jewelry.ha.com/itm/timepiece...umbnail-071515
Old 31 December 2019, 10:05 AM   #6
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding... you've never seen a stone dial day-date (18xx or 18xxx) without any markers? I feel like I see them all the time, but then again I'm constantly searching for stone dials
I think David is just saying he’s not seen any pre-‘77 18xx 4-digit DDs with stone dials - I don’t think I have either. Of course the 5-digit 18xxx years were their heyday.

Fabuloso tiger eye/gold jubilee DJ, BTW! Such a clean look, and the ‘vertical’ lines of the Jubilee with the ‘horizontal’ of the tiger eye is a great match.

David, they don’t seem to offer any no-markers stone dial DDs currently - If they went past 2000, can you tell us when they ended? I don’t recall seeing any no-marker stone 6-digits, but I haven’t sought them out either.
Old 31 December 2019, 05:08 PM   #7
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiclay View Post
I think David is just saying he’s not seen any pre-‘77 18xx 4-digit DDs with stone dials - I don’t think I have either. Of course the 5-digit 18xxx years were their heyday.

Fabuloso tiger eye/gold jubilee DJ, BTW! Such a clean look, and the ‘vertical’ lines of the Jubilee with the ‘horizontal’ of the tiger eye is a great match.

David, they don’t seem to offer any no-markers stone dial DDs currently - If they went past 2000, can you tell us when they ended? I don’t recall seeing any no-marker stone 6-digits, but I haven’t sought them out either.

Your are correct I have seen 1600 series datejusts not 1800 series day dates with stone dials. 18000 series was it’s hay day.

Available in onyx and coral only early 2000’s on the 118000 series

Old 31 December 2019, 05:49 PM   #8
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Wow, they were doing wood dials into the 2000s as well?
Old 31 December 2019, 06:53 PM   #9
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wow, they were doing wood dials into the 2000s as well?
yes just one still in production there were 4 over the years, no 1800 day dates with stone dials only late 1600 series datejusts of that era, plenty 18000 and 18200 series and as you can see 2 still available on the 118000 series in the early two thousands
Old 1 January 2020, 03:10 AM   #10
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowncollection View Post
yes just one still in production there were 4 over the years, no 1800 day dates with stone dials only late 1600 series datejusts of that era, plenty 18000 and 18200 series and as you can see 2 still available on the 118000 series in the early two thousands
I’m surprised by the wood, and especially by the coral! You said 4 types of wood dials have been available - I’m aware of Walnut, Mahogany and Birch burls, what was the 4th? I’ve seen one claimed as Sequoia, but it was very clearly straight grain, not burl, so I assumed it was aftermarket. Also, do you know how much was the up-charge to order the no-markers coral dial, either on the late 182xx or the early 118xxx references?

And David, thanks again for your ever-generous sharing of knowledge (and for your seemingly boundless patience with our questions). If you’re ever in Miami, drinks are on me!
Old 1 January 2020, 06:17 AM   #11
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

I'm also surprised by the coral. They are impossible to find, I've been looking for a while.
Old 1 January 2020, 06:25 AM   #12
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Here's a cool old Rolex ad with a malachite datejust in it... (I could talk about stone dials all day)

Old 1 January 2020, 07:06 AM   #13
DoxaDavid
"TRF" Member

My favorite stone dials are the meteorite but don’t those came about u til the 2000’s.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. " Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865
DoxaDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 08:45 AM   #14
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I'm also surprised by the coral. They are impossible to find, I've been looking for a while.
Me too - Gulda DD, yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoxaDavid View Post
My favorite stone dials are the meteorite but don’t those came about u til the 2000’s.
I have a few stone DDs, but I’d love to see them make a no-markers meteorite DD in WG or Pt, with black hands. If I ever have a Frankenwatch made, that might be it.
Old 1 January 2020, 08:49 AM   #15
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m surprised by the wood, and especially by the coral! You said 4 types of wood dials have been available - I’m aware of Walnut, Mahogany and Birch burls, what was the 4th? I’ve seen one claimed as Sequoia, but it was very clearly straight grain, not burl, so I assumed it was aftermarket. Also, do you know how much was the up-charge to order the no-markers coral dial, either on the late 182xx or the early 118xxx references?

And David, thanks again for your ever-generous sharing of knowledge (and for your seemingly boundless patience with our questions). If you’re ever in Miami, drinks are on me!

No name this was the first wood dial just called wood. Came out before the other 3 on the 1800 series.

Old 1 January 2020, 09:53 AM   #16
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowncollection View Post
No name this was the first wood dial just called wood. Came out before the other 3 on the 1800 series.
Interesting!
The grain there looks like the one I assumed was aftermarket - I.e., obviously straight grain, not burl. So, “wood“ came on the 1800s, before the stone dial DDs. Vilicich in LA once posted on IG this pic of a DJ with a very different “pressed wood” dial, which I’d also never seen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B49E31FD-07AE-42CC-8253-C1BCE959D771.jpeg (129.4 KB, 133 views)
Old 1 January 2020, 12:13 PM   #17
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Question re stone dial DDs

Quote:
Interesting!

The grain there looks like the one I assumed was aftermarket - I.e., obviously straight grain, not burl. So, “wood“ came on the 1800s, before the stone dial DDs. Vilicich in LA once posted on IG this pic of a DJ with a very different “pressed wood” dial, which I’d also never seen.

Yes 1800 series. some call it as you earlier quoted

Never seen that wood dial you posted on a day date.