The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 4 July 2018, 02:49 AM   #31
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Erm, I don't think they're 'required', and there are always exceptions. But we know what you mean about period-specific anomalies.

Have to totally disagree that "liking spider dial or not liking spider dial is completely irrelevant" though
Old 4 July 2018, 12:06 PM   #32
1665fan
"TRF" Member

I like spider dials and have an unpolished spider 16660!
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2018, 07:52 AM   #33
Coop13
Banned

Watch: SBGW231, SRP777
Exp 1 Spider Dial

I just started a thread about this watch and then found this thread, thought I'd share the photo. The good news is this watch is being offered for $3700. Considering it doesn't have the bracelet, box or papers and the dial is spidered... that's probably the absolute most I'd want to pay for it. My point in listing the price is to show that it isn't pulling a premium price because of the dial. I certainly wouldn't seek out a spider dial but I wouldn't turn one down either as long as it's original to the watch and for the right price.

[IMG]https://www.rolexforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=976729&stc=1&d=1534888 282
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg aed91d09-3709-418d-b1f6-64ef107adb34.jpeg (114.4 KB, 380 views)
Coop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2018, 06:41 AM   #34
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post
Yuck,Another made up name for a damaged Dial.
I want to agree but I think it's a cool effect.

I'm sure some people here are into Gibson Les Pauls and know about the effect of nitro lacquer and exposing it to warmth/cold and you get this. People want to buy new guitars with vintage looks. Same thing happened to watches with the fake yellow dots etc.

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/s...inish-checking

Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 07:28 PM   #35
tawny_ulcer
"TRF" Member

yes it's a damaged lacquer but totally cool and desirable in my opinion. You wont see this effect anytime soon - a truly rare dial and imho will increase in value as the years move on and more and more collectors recognise and acknowledge their beauty. So what if it's damaged lacquer as it's all part of the history of this amazing model.
tawny_ulcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 09:00 PM   #36
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
The paint cracks on the brass dial base. That's it. Technically they're damaged and should be replaced. For some reason certain collectors pay more for damaged dials and hands.

I'm all for patina but personally avoid spider dials.
Have to agree it's funny many pay more for in the real world defect dials but get a spec on a modern day Rolex dial it's then almost the end of the world.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 11:50 PM   #37
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawny_ulcer View Post
yes it's a damaged lacquer but totally cool and desirable in my opinion. You wont see this effect anytime soon - a truly rare dial and imho will increase in value as the years move on and more and more collectors recognise and acknowledge their beauty. So what if it's damaged lacquer as it's all part of the history of this amazing model.
The Emperor’s New Clothes comes to mind..
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 01:13 AM   #38
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Apologies as this is only my opinion, but this whole “spider” dial thing is possibly the stupidest thing I have seen in the world of vintage watches. It looks awful, and it is a defect that should be replaced.
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 01:15 AM   #39
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
Apologies as this is only my opinion, but this whole “spider” dial thing is possibly the stupidest thing I have seen in the world of vintage watches. It looks awful, and it is a defect that should be replaced.
No apologies necessary
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 02:00 AM   #40
Pureform
Banned

Quote:
That's your opinion but this is part of rolex history and I think it's a cool and unique thing that happened in the late 80s... And will be highly collectible many years from now...

Just like all the 5513s and 1680s with yellow patina that degrades over time that you lust for, is considered a defect in rolex eyes... Oh and don't forget the faded bezels and so forth...

Ohhhhhhhh and let's not forget the tropical dials that turn from black to rusty brown selling for 30k and up and people buy like crazy...
Pureform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 10:23 AM   #41
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pureform View Post
That's your opinion but this is part of rolex history and I think it's a cool and unique thing that happened in the late 80s... And will be highly collectible many years from now...

Just like all the 5513s and 1680s with yellow patina that degrades over time that you lust for, is considered a defect in rolex eyes... Oh and don't forget the faded bezels and so forth...

Ohhhhhhhh and let's not forget the tropical dials that turn from black to rusty brown selling for 30k and up and people buy like crazy...
I respect your opinion, but I find there to be a huuuge difference between a vintage item showing “patina”, and a defective item cracking. Not to mention, it is wildly unattractive. Like a classic car with a shattered windshield
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2018, 03:54 AM   #42
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Spider dials

Plenty of threads on this topic but I would like to say that my spider dial, which was replaced at service, has not deteriorated further. Rolex returned the original dial and hands and the lume plots have a nice creamy patina now. Kind of wish I had left it as it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
5517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2018, 04:27 AM   #43
doramas
Banned

For me it's garbage. I say it with a lot of respect
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2018, 01:37 AM   #44
lo85
"TRF" Member

fantastic post
lo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2018, 07:03 AM   #45
R!$
Banned

Not for me
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2018, 07:57 AM   #46
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Personally I'm a fan. I think these dials are perfectly imperfect.

I'd personally like to own one at some point. I wouldn't be afraid of further deterioration. I think they add just a nice little touch of uniqueness and personality.
Old 4 December 2019, 10:38 PM   #47
wappinghigh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14270 14060
spider dials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
spider dials are required for specific models produced during specific years. Just like a 'floating' daytona dial is correct only for a particular serial number range. As such, liking spider dial or not liking spider dial is completely irrelevant. If someone wants an original watch, be prepared extra for the period correct dial (in this case spider).
Did Rolex ever "officially" sort this lacquer on metal "problem" in the 90's?

If so when?

What specific years of dials can potentially "spider?

thanks!
wappinghigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 12:23 AM   #48
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
Originally Posted by wappinghigh View Post
Did Rolex ever "officially" sort this lacquer on metal "problem" in the 90's?

If so when?

What specific years of dials can potentially "spider?

thanks!
Yes, for the most part it stopped showing up by the late 80s. Most of the second round of 5 digit models (16610, 16600, 16710, 16570, etc) don't show the cracking and these were all released by 1989. There are outliers however. You typically see the spidering on the early wg/glossy dials in the mid 80s (16800, 16750,168000, 16550, 16760, 16660, 5513 etc) right after the switch from matte.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 02:49 AM   #49
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Like a classic car with a shattered windshield
Not quite a parallel comparison. A car with a shattered windshield is no longer functional and needs immediate attention, whereas a spider dial doesn't. But I get your point.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 04:46 AM   #50
Frosty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5517 View Post
Plenty of threads on this topic but I would like to say that my spider dial, which was replaced at service, has not deteriorated further. Rolex returned the original dial and hands and the lume plots have a nice creamy patina now. Kind of wish I had left it as it was.

I am surprised that Rolex returned the dial to you. You were very lucky!
Old 5 January 2020, 05:45 AM   #51
E16520kimm
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16520 or Pat
Here’s my spider dial. Rolex GMT 16750. I really liked it at the time, but ended up not wearing it much because I was afraid of damaging it. During my ownership the paint did not flake off at all, but I was still cautious.

E16520kimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 10:48 AM   #52
Ck__
"TRF" Member

I’m looking to buy my first Rolex and ideally would like to buy a 1984 Spider Submariner. Just to clarify …. unless I’m ripped off … all spider dials will be original correct?

Does it mean Rolex will never service it for me without telling me they need to replace the dial?

Thanks !
Ck__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 11:41 AM   #53
Mk2rick
"TRF" Member

not for me too, i had to look for a long time for a 80's 5513 with a perfect gloss dial... but i do understand some collectors' desire for the spidering.. just not my cup of tea i suppose
Mk2rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 01:39 PM   #54
Vlad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ck__ View Post
Does it mean Rolex will never service it for me without telling me they need to replace the dial?
I would say yes, Rolex will force you to replace the dial. Which in my book, makes it even more desirable - as other defected dials (tropical, cream explorers, patinaed, etc.) are not replaced by RSC. Though, honestly, RSC discussion is becoming a lot less relevant, as RSC has a limit on how old the watch must be for them to service it - and 35 year old is very close to being rejected.

OK, it's been years since I sent something to RSC, and they might have changed their attitude, but a while ago 25 years was a cut off.

Vlad

P.S. if anyone has a spider dial that they hate and want to throw away, contact me first :)
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 07:10 AM   #55
goonhoon
"TRF" Member

Some of these look genuinely cool.
goonhoon is offline   Reply With Quote