The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 25 January 2020, 01:42 AM   #31
agentmeister5
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlahBlah View Post
For now, I have scratched the blue dial itch with my VC Overseas Gen 3 Blue dial, which is actually made by FPJ from what I hear, just with a different finish on the base metal. It's a completely different watch obviously and would still love to add a CB to the collection.
Whoa! Is this true?!
agentmeister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 04:19 AM   #32
MrBlahBlah
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentmeister5 View Post
Whoa! Is this true?!

I heard this from a FPJ Boutique.....the CB has a mirror polish base metal vs a black polish on the VC.

FPJ owns its own dial manufacture https://www.cadraniers.ch/ so I'm sure they do work for other brands on an ad-hoc basis
MrBlahBlah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 07:00 PM   #33
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I heard this from a FPJ Boutique.....the CB has a mirror polish base metal vs a black polish on the VC.

FPJ owns its own dial manufacture https://www.cadraniers.ch/ so I'm sure they do work for other brands on an ad-hoc basis
??

Mirror polishing and black polishing is exactly the same. both can look black and both can look like a mirror , depends on the angle how you look at it
Old 27 January 2020, 01:49 PM   #34
MrBlahBlah
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
??

Mirror polishing and black polishing is exactly the same. both can look black and both can look like a mirror , depends on the angle how you look at it

Maybe my terminology is off...what I’m trying to say the base metal on the vacheron dial has a darker finish while the CB is more of a mirror finish that is more reflective. There could be other differences but this is my understanding as explained to me by the FPJ rep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 January 2020, 02:05 PM   #35
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Ttiuwp.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2020, 03:32 AM   #36
MrBlahBlah
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Ttiuwp.

Old 2 February 2020, 04:27 AM   #37
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I don’t quite understand what’s trying to be proven here. In terms of finish, the dial on the VC is clearly an entirely different looking dial from the FPJ CB.
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2020, 05:18 AM   #38
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBill View Post
I don’t quite understand what’s trying to be proven here. In terms of finish, the dial on the VC is clearly an entirely different looking dial from the FPJ CB.

I completely agree. It’s not even debatable . Those pics just prove it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2020, 05:25 AM   #39
MrBlahBlah
"TRF" Member

I don’t think anyone is saying they are the same - rather I had shared the fact that I had learned that FPJ’s dial manufacture makes the VC blue dial. They are created via a similar blue lacquer over metal base, with the primary difference in manufacture between the two stemming from the finish of the metal underneath. Of course the design of the dial is completely different.

Old 2 February 2020, 06:45 AM   #40
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don’t think anyone is saying they are the same - rather I had shared the fact that I had learned that FPJ’s dial manufacture makes the VC blue dial. They are created via a similar blue lacquer over metal base, with the primary difference in manufacture between the two stemming from the finish of the metal underneath. Of course the design of the dial is completely different.

Just out of curiosity, have you seen a CB in person? Have you seen it under the sun and under natural lightings?
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2020, 07:37 AM   #41
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Can you please explain the reason why you persist in grasping at straws here? The dials are completely different. Different design. Different base color. Different texture. Just completely different.

Is this some sort of public exposé where you’re pulling back the curtain to show everyone that the FPJ CB is really just a VC Overseas in disguise? To be clear, except for the fact that they are both designed to tell time and are worn on a wrist, these two watches are not similar in the least.
Old 2 February 2020, 08:06 AM   #42
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I get it now. I went back and read your previous posts. You really want an FP Journe Chronometre Bleu, but you don’t want to pay the market price for it. Totally understandable. I think every WIS has encountered this.

Your previous posts about wanting a CB make your recent posts insinuating some shared properties between the FPJ CB and the VC Overseas ring a bit hollow. Could this be just a case of sour grapes?

I’ve seen similar posts by others attempting to denigrate FP Journe, and they too have complained about the price of the CB. This is so transparent and unbecoming.

I would like to own a Rainbow Daytona or a PP 5711, but just because I don’t want to pay the market price doesn’t make me want to denigrate them. I still like them. It’s just not meant to be at this point.

Best of luck to you!
Old 2 February 2020, 09:16 AM   #43
MrBlahBlah
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I get it now. I went back and read your previous posts. You really want an FP Journe Chronometre Bleu, but you don’t want to pay the market price for it. Totally understandable. I think every WIS has encountered this.

Your previous posts about wanting a CB make your recent posts insinuating some shared properties between the FPJ CB and the VC Overseas ring a bit hollow. Could this be just a case of sour grapes?

I’ve seen similar posts by others attempting to denigrate FP Journe, and they too have complained about the price of the CB. This is so transparent and unbecoming.

I would like to own a Rainbow Daytona or a PP 5711, but just because I don’t want to pay the market price doesn’t make me want to denigrate them. I still like them. It’s just not meant to be at this point.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks for reading through the context. I find that is helpful before responding to a comment in a larger thread.

I’m not trying to denigrate FPJ or the CB. I just won’t pay current secondary market pricing for a CB, that’s all. I’d gladly acquire on at MSRP, or even a premium. But that’s not happening so no watch for me.

The title of this thread is “why I paid up for the CB” and, I guess I’m sharing why I did not.

Best of luck to you too

Old 2 February 2020, 01:07 PM   #44
lanteanflux
"TRF" Member

On a side note has anyone seen the dial of the Byblos in person? It looks a more cartoonish blue than the CB, or is that just because of the open work making it look brighter? Interestingly there are 2 Byblos on Chrono24 now (same dealer) and only 3 CB (all private sellers).
lanteanflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2020, 07:03 PM   #45
eviperman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanteanflux View Post
On a side note has anyone seen the dial of the Byblos in person? It looks a more cartoonish blue than the CB, or is that just because of the open work making it look brighter? Interestingly there are 2 Byblos on Chrono24 now (same dealer) and only 3 CB (all private sellers).
Yes, the Byblos is a brighter Royal blue and lacks the depth you enjoy on a CB as the CB appears to have many more levels of lacquer. They really are two different watches.
eviperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 05:09 AM   #46
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanteanflux View Post
Much different dial, much deeper blue. Not unattractive though. However the cut out, the exposed plate, it doesn’t work for me. One would definitely need to see in person as views would be very split.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 05:16 AM   #47
rjd1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Can't pick just 1
Wearing mine as I read this -
Awesome watch and life is short, get what you want if you can!
Enjoy
rjd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 05:33 AM   #48
BrotherHezekiah
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Best of luck to you!
Such a hostile set of responses from you to what seemed like an innocuous post. He wasn't trying to denigrate the CB or "expose" it as the same watch as the VCO. He said that the same 3rd-party supplier that FPJ commissioned to make the CB dials also makes the blue dials for VC. That's not "grasping at straws." This is a fact that other knowledgeable people in the industry have confirmed as well. He acknowledged that the CB and VCO are still very different watches, but that the VCO satisfies his itch for a blue watch for now. He also clearly says that he'd love a CB but isn't ready to pay market prices at this time (which you call "sour grapes"). I've been content being a lurker for a couple of years but had to register to jump in here, because your tone really bothered me. I suggest that you either improve your reading comprehension, be nicer, or ideally both. Good day to you.
BrotherHezekiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 04:04 AM   #49
galtinuk
"TRF" Member

Fantastic watch and has a well deserved place in any collection of any value.

It is so unique for, aside from the movement, being made of relatively non precious materials but executed the “hard way”. Ie the dial work and case work in particular.

galtinuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 05:12 AM   #50
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherHezekiah View Post
Such a hostile set of responses from you to what seemed like an innocuous post. He wasn't trying to denigrate the CB or "expose" it as the same watch as the VCO. He said that the same 3rd-party supplier that FPJ commissioned to make the CB dials also makes the blue dials for VC. That's not "grasping at straws." This is a fact that other knowledgeable people in the industry have confirmed as well. He acknowledged that the CB and VCO are still very different watches, but that the VCO satisfies his itch for a blue watch for now. He also clearly says that he'd love a CB but isn't ready to pay market prices at this time (which you call "sour grapes"). I've been content being a lurker for a couple of years but had to register to jump in here, because your tone really bothered me. I suggest that you either improve your reading comprehension, be nicer, or ideally both. Good day to you.
Hey Brother! Welcome to the forums! Sorry I got your hackles up. Admittedly I was in a bit of a mood when I wrote that and could have been a bit more measured. I think we’ve all been there. On the bright side at least you finally registered. I hope you choose to stick around and contribute to the discussion.
Old 6 February 2020, 06:57 AM   #51
Mills_
"TRF" Member

Hat off to Hezekiah for registering and saying what I was thinking (but was too lazy to write myself) and hat off to Bill for being man enough to acknowledge and apologise. Good stuff all around.
Mills_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 06:59 AM   #52
Mills_
"TRF" Member

If I can take the VCO versus CB conversation in another direction...

I've been debating a 5170p (which is a very big chunk of money for me). I've had it on the wrist, I loved it, I didn't bite the bullet at the time... and now as a CB owner since that time, I feel somewhat like the 5170p dial is worse. Anyone else had both the CB and the 5170p on the wrist and have some thoughts?
Mills_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 09:41 AM   #53
BrotherHezekiah
"TRF" Member

I appreciate your responses, BigApple and Mills. I think the CB is spectacular and it's on the short list for my next purchase, so I've followed this thread with a lot of interest. Hope you both continue to enjoy yours.

Mills - having seen the CB in person, I could totally see how another blue dial (even a Patek!) might look dull in comparison after wearing a CB regularly.
Old 6 February 2020, 09:46 AM   #54
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agree. Good post. As I was reading through this thread that response seemed to come out of left field.
MichaelFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 01:58 PM   #55
eviperman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills_ View Post
If I can take the VCO versus CB conversation in another direction...

I've been debating a 5170p (which is a very big chunk of money for me). I've had it on the wrist, I loved it, I didn't bite the bullet at the time... and now as a CB owner since that time, I feel somewhat like the 5170p dial is worse. Anyone else had both the CB and the 5170p on the wrist and have some thoughts?
I own both a CB and a 5170P and for me, they are both beautiful but very different. The 5170P has the sunburst dial with diamonds while the CB has the changing blue depending on the light... both are amazing dials, especially if you love a blue dial like I do.

Now, as for the comment about a "3rd party supplier", the CB dial is made inhouse by FP Journe's own dial maker (a different company but owned by FPJ), and some VC dials are made by the same company, hence the slight similarities. For me, the CB dial is magic and wins easily, but both FPJJ dials and some VC dials come out of the same manufacture.
eviperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2020, 12:04 AM   #56
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
He said that the same 3rd-party supplier that FPJ commissioned to make the CB dials also makes the blue dials for VC.
FPJ owns its own dial maker. The CB dial is made, therefore, in-house.
kunlun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2020, 03:06 AM   #57
BrotherHezekiah
"TRF" Member

Thanks, eviperman and kunlun, for the clarification on the dial maker. Learn something new every time I visit this site!
Old 8 February 2020, 12:45 PM   #58
lanteanflux
"TRF" Member

Watchbox just listed a CB for 48k USD, 8k above their previous listing in December. Other 2 CB available on Chrono24 are private sellers, one listing same price (lol).

They did same with Resonances, wonder if market bites.
lanteanflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2020, 12:47 PM   #59
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Journes have been on fire lately. I believe primarily driven by Asian markets. I wonder if it's slowing down because of the coronavirus outbreak, or if it's unaffected (obviously the more mainstream brands like AP, Rolex, and Patek, are affected).
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2020, 05:48 PM   #60
unknown
"TRF" Member

Kevin O'Leary bought a few too and also the chronometre blue

His knowledge is not good but somehow he loves his watches and well give him some credit .. he might learn more in the future

Anyway this is a long interview and worth seeing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihQ37865DZ4