The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 9 November 2005, 03:04 AM   #1
----

My dog is nuts

We have had our dog for 12 of it's 13 years on earth, and I have to say he has finally gone completely mad. Ever since we came back from our trip to Australia early last year, he has been acting very strange (or stranger than normal, I should clarify).

First issue is him crapping on the carpet. When we adopted him, he was already 1 year old and was house trained (my kind of dog). He was very good at holding it in while we were away at work, and only had the odd accident in the house. Now if you don't watch him like a hawk, he sneaks off into one of the bedrooms and takes dump on the carpet. Not good. In addition, he has trouble holding it is over the workday, so we now often come home to urine in the sewing room where we keep him when we are out (at least it's not carpeted).

Lately he has started to whine and moan every morning when we try to put him in that room to leave from work. He used to go in there quite willingly because we would always give him something to eat as a reward, but this doesn't work at all any more. Many times I have to pick him up and carry him into the room, and last week he bit me once when I did this, and he tried again this week.

He seems to have severe separation anxiety, and not only does he act up in the mornings, but is way too over-excited when we get home. He has recently tried to get behind the large freezer we have in that room like he is after something, and as a result he has torn up the baseboards. I guess dogs can go senile just like people, but we are kind of stressed with this. I am taking the approach that he is trying to challenge his place in the house, so both my wife and I are going to crack down on him to put him in his place. Things like ignoring him when we get home for 30 minutes, and if necessary flipping him on his back and holding him there.

I love the dog, but I have my limits. Sorry, just needed to vent.

Old 9 November 2005, 03:09 AM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Sorry to hear about your dog, Al. Can't help you in that department as I am no expert on pets. Perhaps a Vet could make a few useful suggestions. His age must have something to do with it.

Good luck - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2005, 03:21 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Yes agree with the severe separation anxiety,he is just getting old
and perhaps getting afraid to be on his own.We have more or less
the same symptoms with my little dog Tony.I know he is blind now
and he hates us to leave him on his own.If he is left he normally craps
on floor like your dog.But if we are with him he will go all day with no
mess.Sure its just down to missing you around,after all they are just
like children sometimes.And the part about getting behind the freezer
is just trying to find a place to hide and feel secure.Very similar to
some children when younger having a comfy blanket.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2005, 03:42 AM   #4
BruceS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Yes, agree with Padi. My dog, who's only 2 years old, has been whinny and strange lately. I think it's because he's not getting enough attention due to all our focus being on Josh. Even though we're there, he's exhibiting a certain amount of seperation anxiety. It's amazing how "human" these animals can act.
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2005, 03:44 AM   #5
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceS
Yes, agree with Padi. My dog, who's only 2 years old, has been whinny and strange lately. I think it's because he's not getting enough attention due to all our focus being on Josh. Even though we're there, he's exhibiting a certain amount of seperation anxiety. It's amazing how "human" these animals can act.
...and sometimes it's amazing how "animalistic" some humans can act!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 9 November 2005, 03:48 AM   #6
BruceS
"TRF" Member

touche'
Old 9 November 2005, 04:08 AM   #7
Atomic

We had our cat from when she was only about 6 weeks, and she was an amazingly fun cat to have around. Once C came on the scene things slowly started to change. Because she wasn't getting attention from my wife at first, then me.

The cat turned spiteful and started to hiss and growl at us, and if we went away for a weekend (leaving her lots of food/water) she's piss on something to spite us. I mean, before C, we left the cat at home alone for a week wile we were in Cuba and no biggie.

Animals have emotions and illnesses just like humans do. Al I don't know what to advise beyond perhaps a visit to the vet. If he's on in years, it may well be senility.
Old 9 November 2005, 04:34 AM   #8
----

Thanks for the responses guys. I should have included that we take him to the vet regularly, and have discussed these issues with the vet at great length. He has done blood tests, checked all sorts of things, and there doesn't appear to be any medical reason for this behaviour. We were away for 7 weeks during our last long vacation, so I can only assume that he thinks we are leaving him for an extended period again every day when we leave for work.

I am the type of person who is very committed to a pet once I choose to own it, so we have probably spent enough on this guy over the years to buy more than one fine mechanical watch. I would do whatever it takes to make him happy - I feel we owe him a good life since his first year was quite rough.

I have known for a long time that we have been quite lucky to have a dog that did well on it's own, but it appears that this time of ease is over for us.

We do have him on some medication to help with his mood, so hopefully the latest dosage increase will make him a bit better.
Old 9 November 2005, 04:44 AM   #9
BruceS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Thanks for the responses guys. I should have included that we take him to the vet regularly, and have discussed these issues with the vet at great length. He has done blood tests, checked all sorts of things, and there doesn't appear to be any medical reason for this behaviour. We were away for 7 weeks during our last long vacation, so I can only assume that he thinks we are leaving him for an extended period again every day when we leave for work.

I am the type of person who is very committed to a pet once I choose to own it, so we have probably spent enough on this guy over the years to buy more than one fine mechanical watch. I would do whatever it takes to make him happy - I feel we owe him a good life since his first year was quite rough.

I have known for a long time that we have been quite lucky to have a dog that did well on it's own, but it appears that this time of ease is over for us.

We do have him on some medication to help with his mood, so hopefully the latest dosage increase will make him a bit better.

Al,
This is serious OK, so don't laugh.....they sell DVDs for pets now that are supposed to keep them calm and help them feel as if they aren't alone. A work mate of mine has a crazy cat. They've even had cat acupuncture done on it (and some other really bazaro things). They got this cat a DVD and he just sits and stares at it. I think it's of a bug crawling on a window or something, lol!

Anyway, another thing may be to leave a CD running continuously, or leave the TV on. Just something so the dog doesn't feel like he's all alone.

I'll have my secretary call later with the pet psychology bill
Cheers,
Bruce
Old 9 November 2005, 06:31 AM   #10
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Our dog is a bit strange too Al, fought the hole seperation thing and what not, even began eating his fur on his paws to the point it bled. He snapped out of it eventually, I hope yuor does too. I think now he just hates me, because I do shite like this to him.
Bogey the Wonder Cop

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2005, 08:20 AM   #11
BruceS
"TRF" Member

I would hate you too Daren
Old 9 November 2005, 11:15 AM   #12
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:

Old 9 November 2005, 11:29 AM   #13
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
If you dressed me like that so would I
Old 9 November 2005, 11:51 AM   #14
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD

Old 9 November 2005, 01:54 PM   #15
dina
"TRF" Member

dina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2005, 04:57 PM   #16
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedanken

Old 9 November 2005, 08:32 PM   #17
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Nice one James.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2005, 03:11 AM   #18
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
We have had our dog for 12 of it's 13 years on earth, and I have to say he has finally gone completely mad. Ever since we came back from our trip to Australia early last year, he has been acting very strange (or stranger than normal, I should clarify).
It took me a while (thick Dutchman) but I figured it out: he just wants his own Rolex.

Frans.
Old 10 November 2005, 01:11 PM   #19
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Great one James!!