The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 9 January 2009, 04:59 PM   #1
tszyu#1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date
The Dreaded Xbox 360 Red Ring of Death

Playing Fight Night Round 3 yesterday (what else? ) All of a sudden, the game goes fuzzy, looking like an old Atari game. Ok, never happened before, just some weird fluke. Shut off then back on, everything's fine. Today (yesterday now) after work, the Ring appears, but it's not the full 3 rings, just two. Warranty expired 2 weeks ago! Horrible timing! So it's 99 bucks to send to Microsoft to fix...this happen to anyone? Any cheaper way to resolve this?
tszyu#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2009, 09:53 PM   #2
JimSnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ask me later.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by tszyu#1 View Post
Playing Fight Night Round 3 yesterday (what else? ) All of a sudden, the game goes fuzzy, looking like an old Atari game. Ok, never happened before, just some weird fluke. Shut off then back on, everything's fine. Today (yesterday now) after work, the Ring appears, but it's not the full 3 rings, just two. Warranty expired 2 weeks ago! Horrible timing! So it's 99 bucks to send to Microsoft to fix...this happen to anyone? Any cheaper way to resolve this?
On July 5, 2007, the Vice-President of Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business division published an open letter recognizing the console's problems, as well as announcing a three-year warranty extension for every Xbox 360 console that experiences the "general hardware failure" indicated by three flashing red LEDs on the console. They have replaced 2 of ours free
Old 9 January 2009, 09:57 PM   #3
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
Christmas day, 2 years ago we had the same thing happen. It was brand new (just opened) but had been bought back in August (bought early to assure Christmas gift). Luckily I bought the extended warrenty. The replacement lasted until the first week of January (scratching discs). It's replacement lasted until July (still under original 1 year extended warranty). Its replacement has been doing great for a year and a half and gets used nearly every day for about an hour.
I laid this last one down on a unused game box and have at least 2 inches of space on all sides for ventilation. The store clerks advice to only use it in it's horizontal position has been sound.
I still think it's the best gaming system but the quality of earlier production runs was suspect.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2009, 09:58 PM   #4
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

This was the reason I bought a Wii.

J
Jimbits76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2009, 10:04 PM   #5
AIKO
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbits76 View Post
This was the reason I bought a Wii.

J

Wii is awesome but does not have the better choice of games or graphics.
AIKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2009, 10:05 PM   #6
JimSnyder
"TRF" Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_36...nical_problems
Old 10 January 2009, 12:51 AM   #7
tszyu#1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSnyder View Post
On July 5, 2007, the Vice-President of Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business division published an open letter recognizing the console's problems, as well as announcing a three-year warranty extension for every Xbox 360 console that experiences the "general hardware failure" indicated by three flashing red LEDs on the console. They have replaced 2 of ours free
I GOT 2!!! and then an e74 message. Apparently 3 rings, id be ok. 2 rings, my warranty ran out like dec 20ish arrggghhhh

Not 2 rings, 1:

General hardware failure
Another general hardware failure is shown by one flashing red light, and error codes E 74, E 79, or E 71 displayed on-screen. This can occasionally be fixed by ensuring that all A/V connections are securely attached. However, this error is often a result of a hardware failure that is not consumer-serviceable. These hardware failures are not covered by Microsoft's extended 3 year warranty. The problems have spun off a series of settlements with game designers for a little more than $2,000,000
Old 10 January 2009, 12:54 AM   #8
tszyu#1
"TRF" Member

I just got a Wii too, but yes the graphics are closer to PS2 and original xbox, and you have to be somewhat active. Some times i just want to vegetate and play without swinging and being active...Wii is great but I use the 360 mostly....
Old 10 January 2009, 01:07 AM   #9
JimSnyder
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tszyu#1 View Post
I GOT 2!!! and then an e74 message. Apparently 3 rings, id be ok. 2 rings, my warranty ran out like dec 20ish arrggghhhh
It is a manufacturer's recall. 1-800-4MYXBOX. This will give you a voice recording most likely but with a little patience you can navigate through the menus and tell a customer service representative about your problems with the XBox.
Microsoft will pay for shipping and replacement of the red ring of death-infliced XBox 360 consoles. It took about 3 weeks to get a new one after we sent ours back.
Old 10 January 2009, 01:43 AM   #10
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

I know a 360 beats the wii's ass but I got burned with my original xbox and read disc faults so when I heard about the red light of death stuff I figured I'd go for the wii.

J
Old 10 January 2009, 01:48 AM   #11
tszyu#1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSnyder View Post
It is a manufacturer's recall. 1-800-4MYXBOX. This will give you a voice recording most likely but with a little patience you can navigate through the menus and tell a customer service representative about your problems with the XBox.
Microsoft will pay for shipping and replacement of the red ring of death-infliced XBox 360 consoles. It took about 3 weeks to get a new one after we sent ours back.
Went through that last night--that's how I found out warranty expired on dec 19..and I think they only cover 3 red rings..I just called some guy oncraigslist who does repairs...he said more than likely 1 ring cant be fixed, maybe he was successful twice out of 20...so 100 bucks to ship to msft, or maybe get a new one?
Old 10 January 2009, 04:18 AM   #12
chenx15
"TRF" Member

Fight night 3 best game ever made! PSP version is also pretty amazing
chenx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2009, 04:34 AM   #13
tszyu#1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenx15 View Post
Fight night 3 best game ever made! PSP version is also pretty amazing
Yea I got a PS3, psp, and ds, but I hardly use them. The ps3 is basically a bluray player to me...I only have 2 games Lost planet and Darkness? I think..but the 360 got the most time out of all of them
Old 10 January 2009, 06:34 AM   #14
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

I had FN3 on xbox....awesome game.

As good as Nintendo's punchout though?????????

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

J
Old 10 January 2009, 03:02 PM   #15
tszyu#1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbits76 View Post
I had FN3 on xbox....awesome game.

As good as Nintendo's punchout though?????????

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

J
Let's not get silly...that's the greatest boxing game ever made!! I can't imagine how much homework was not completed in grade school due to that game...and here's my dark secret...I never beat Tyson... My brother used to and can still beat him in 2 rds, (on an NES emulator) but I'm the boxing nut in the family! Anyone see Fight Night IV previews? Finally, you get to play not only as Tyson, but young, in his prime Tyson!!

So it's either send to Microsoft for 100 bucks, or buy the 360 Arcade ($199), which has no hard drive and comes with a game I alreday have. But just stick the old hard drive in the new one and you're set. OR as a friend suggested, buy a new one, stick the new hard drive in the broken console, and return it...forget about from a moral standpoint, I don't think it'll work..serial numbers, I don't know. I guess dust off the PS3 and get some games, also for the Wii...

I know this is not a video game forum, but it is open discussion I always hated the PSX, PS2 and PS3 controller, which is why I skipped the PS2 and got the original Xbox. Will have to get Fight Night, NBA 2K9, and I don't know... I kinda like first person shooters, but am not a Call of Duty fan...can anyone recommend any good PS3 games? No Madden, no RPG's, no racing games, just list some of your guy's favorites...thanks
Old 11 January 2009, 10:12 AM   #16
vh_bu98
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum YM
My first 360 got the 3 rings and I got it replaced for free. I ended up selling that one and getting a newer model that was suppose to have the fix. I haven't had any issues with it.

If it's going to cost you a $100 to fix, I would just pick up the arcade version for $200 and move the hard drive over and then sell the defunct one.
vh_bu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2009, 11:34 AM   #17
TimeToGo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Happened once so far.

Best Buy and Extended warranty....no hassle. Go to the shelf and pick up a new one.

Sorry about the hassle you have to go through to ship it...etc...
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2009, 01:27 PM   #18
chenx15
"TRF" Member

we are basically the same issue. i just use my PS3 as the entertainment system. music, pictures movies, everything and anything but games. i like rainbow 6 vegas it's the only game i played in my PS3. that's basically it.
chenx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2009, 01:38 PM   #19
Greenring
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
One of the major contributors to the ring of death issues, IIRC, is inadequate case cooling. The gpu is run hot hot hot, resulting in basically cooking the componants and board till thermal expansion and contraction causes the printed circuit board to fail. Defective componants cannot be worked around, but you can assist the poor case cooling by adding an aftermarket (yeah, you shouldn't have to spend extra money to fix poor design in the first place) but if you are in it for $300-400, what choice have you? I added a Nyko rear cooler/blower and the Intec base cooler. No problems..... yet....
Also, I run these fans even after shutting off the console, to vent the residual heat, like the old slide projectors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41AM4HX0ANL._SS500_.jpg (26.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 41ia1wI520L._SS500_.jpg (33.1 KB, 13 views)
Greenring is offline   Reply With Quote