The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 20 June 2011, 09:57 PM   #31
delldeaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never kiss & tell!
Frank N Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by suntaelee View Post
thanks for chiming in delldeaton. yes, i do see those on ebay all the time. i was actually thinking of that as well. just was hesitant to make this watch a frankenwatch....
Interesting reference you make here, "frankenwatch."

Jeff Hess, whose name is no doubt familiar here for his co-authorship on The Best of Time: Rolex, an Unauthorized History, spoke on this as part of an excellent talk he gave at the 2009 NAWCC Annual Convention in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

He'd apparently been pretty seriously harassed by some folks on the internet (more intent on making names for themselves and having nothing else to do, as opposed to genuinely trying to raise the bar on "authenticity"), when offering some Rolex watches for sale on "a popular online auction site."

The accusation was that the Rolex watches he was selling were franken because they'd had dials or bezels or hands replaced. Mind you, we're talking about, for example, replacing the dial on a Rolex 6538 Submariner with an OEM dial from another Rolex 6538 Submariner, which, as best as could be determined from caseback markings and serial numbers, was produced at approximately the same time. Certainly period-appropriate. But he was nitpicked so to focus on the point that it was not "the" dial that had been originally delivered on the watch.

According to this standard, one could never repair, let alone restore any watch.

What might be the motive?

Well, for starters - using an iconic James Bond watch as an example - it might legitimize someone claiming to have a Dr No or Goldfinger "screen correct" Sub by cobbling together parts from watches other than 6538s, or changing the bezel (in particular) to something sans minute-markings before the 15. "Because, you know, they're all frankenwatches" to some degree."

Thus established, they can then argue that "homage" watches, made completely without connection or authorization to Rolex aren't really that bad, because, "it's not that different from 'restoration,' simply a matter of degree; everybody does it."

Poppycock! "Frankenwatches" are watches that are intended to deceive. So, taking the "007" dial from an aftermarket source, intended for a 2537.80 (the 40th anniversary Seamaster) and putting it on a 2531.80 (the blue/blue Omega most commonly associated with Pierce Brosnan as James Bond) makes the latter a frankenwatch.

If you can tell me how that taking the crystal from a gold-colored 7A28, which has the same specifications and was indistinguishable from the crystal used on the silver-colored 7A28, and putting it onto the latter alters the character or perception of the watch, I'm open to hearing that argument. Same with the mechanism, taking few or several parts from one style to use in repairing the other: Hard to see how that's deceptive, as I don't see how anyone could readily tell the difference between those and what was delivered as part of your watch, new.

I respect that others may not see it this way. I guess that I've just seen too many forum discussions distracted to the point where nothing can be known for certain that I think it risks losing sight of what reasonably can and should be done to keep authentic vintage watches functioning.

Old 21 June 2011, 04:38 AM   #32
suntaelee
"TRF" Member

well put. i guess i was sensitive as to buying the exact same 7a28-7020 to swap parts, and not any other model. but you make a great argument and i'll be on the look out for a 7a28 with a great condition crystal and working movements. wouldn't mind changing the hands as well. thanks again for your words.
suntaelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2011, 10:41 PM   #33
delldeaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never kiss & tell!
Unfortunately, another gold one ....

Within the last day or so, I believe I saw the gold version of your watch show up on the 'bay.
Old 12 July 2011, 07:50 AM   #34
suntaelee
"TRF" Member

yeah i saw that... even messaged the guy too. the watch doesn't come with the original bracelet... i'm also just trying to find another bond one since now my gf wants one with nato. lol
Old 16 May 2012, 03:53 PM   #35
suntaelee
"TRF" Member

i am happy to report to you guys that i won the bidding on ebay for the Seiko Quartz Chronograph 7A38-7060!! The ending bid was $257. not sure if i paid too much or less, but i'm happy. it's in great condition, all the movements work!!! and it's the "date" version to the non-date i already acquired. (although, i am still looking for one in great condition with all movements working)

i'll still keep searching time to time... but for now, i'll be waiting for this in the mail:

Old 3 July 2012, 03:10 AM   #36
suntaelee
"TRF" Member

decided to put an alligator strap on it. i think it looks great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (74.0 KB, 64 views)
Old 3 July 2012, 06:04 AM   #37
warren G.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster 3861
congrats man.. aww now I really want one lol.