The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 21 May 2011, 07:12 PM   #61
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhitesox View Post
Anyone try any of the pre workout supplements..do they work at all to fire you up for the gym?
Purus Labs Muscle Marinade.I also ad some PeptoPro and -USN Vitargo and BCAAs.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2011, 10:53 PM   #62
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Watch: 16610,PAM. 111, G
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiebot View Post
bruno bust out the picture of your quads for this thread!
Which one bro?

Brunotheboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2011, 10:56 PM   #63
axjimenez
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALL OF THEM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
Threemonkeys (craig) requested that I post my before and after pictures in this thread.

This is what I have done to lose 55 pounds since September 2010. I have cut Soda COMPLETELY out of my diet, and now control my portions, and drink 120+ ounces of water per day. I started exercising on a treadmill back in Sept 2010. I would walk at a fast pace (4.2 mph with an incline of 15% for 3 miles) 7 days per week. I have now switched to bike riding outside 12 miles per day. I also lift weights for upper body/abs/arms every other day for 45 minutes in the morning. I exercise EVERY DAY, AT LEAST 45 MINUTES PER DAY.

I enjoy the biking so much that I have ridden 107 miles so far this week. I have had two 30+ mile days, and have ridden 12-15 miles all the other days.

Beginning - 222 lbs (me on the right)

6 weeks after I started - approx 210 lbs (front left)

Me taken last week. (168 lbs)
CONGRATS - amazing
“It is better to lead from behind and to put others in front, especially when you celebrate victory when nice things occur. You take the front line when there is danger. Then people will appreciate your leadership.”

Rolex 114060
Omega SMP 2531.80
Vintage Omega - no idea but dad's watch
axjimenez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2011, 11:11 PM   #64
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyedog View Post
Shit! you look REAL GOOD Lady!
Thank you.
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2011, 01:41 AM   #65
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Threemonkeys (craig) requested that I post my before and after pictures in this thread.

This is what I have done to lose 55 pounds since September 2010. I have cut Soda COMPLETELY out of my diet, and now control my portions, and drink 120+ ounces of water per day. I started exercising on a treadmill back in Sept 2010. I would walk at a fast pace (4.2 mph with an incline of 15% for 3 miles) 7 days per week. I have now switched to bike riding outside 12 miles per day. I also lift weights for upper body/abs/arms every other day for 45 minutes in the morning. I exercise EVERY DAY, AT LEAST 45 MINUTES PER DAY.

I enjoy the biking so much that I have ridden 107 miles so far this week. I have had two 30+ mile days, and have ridden 12-15 miles all the other days.

Well done Jason !!!
Old 22 May 2011, 01:54 AM   #66
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiebot View Post
bruno bust out the picture of your quads for this thread!
How about my quad?

I need to work on the cut myself.

Lisa, you're definitely a hard body.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2011, 01:59 AM   #67
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
How about my quad?

I need to work on the cut myself.

Lisa, you're definitely a hard body.
Not bad bro. Just do tons of squats front and back and leg extensions and presses. Plus ride that bike for the cuts. Don't forget the hamstrings either.
Old 22 May 2011, 02:56 AM   #68
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
you can tell that you work hard bro. legs are really the key to anyones success in the gym. they count for so much of any exercise activity.

maybe one day you can help me with my routines
boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2011, 03:12 AM   #69
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
Not bad bro. Just do tons of squats front and back and leg extensions and presses. Plus ride that bike for the cuts. Don't forget the hamstrings either.
High intensity,interval training on the stationary Technogym cycle.10-15min,every day The key is HIGH-intensity.
Old 22 May 2011, 03:16 AM   #70
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Try these for a bit of unconventional leg training .....

Romanian deadlifts
Dumbell squats
Sumo Squats
Goblin squats
Straightleg deadlifts
TRX hamstring curls
Standing calf raises.One legged.Own bodyweight to failure.

All the squats mentioned above are very easy on the knees.
Old 22 May 2011, 03:24 AM   #71
axxeman01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv
For those lifting weekly, do you ever have weeks where you actually GO DOWN in the weight you are able to lift? I did horrible today with chest/tris, my weights were way way off, but I felt like I had a really punishing workout. The only variable is that I didn't sleep great last night, but that's it.

Is it normally to have a bummer week now and then? I just hope it doesn't continue long, easy to get frustrated!
axxeman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2011, 03:58 AM   #72
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxeman01 View Post
For those lifting weekly, do you ever have weeks where you actually GO DOWN in the weight you are able to lift? I did horrible today with chest/tris, my weights were way way off, but I felt like I had a really punishing workout. The only variable is that I didn't sleep great last night, but that's it.

Is it normally to have a bummer week now and then? I just hope it doesn't continue long, easy to get frustrated!
yeah it can happen. this is usually a sign of over training or lack of food. IMO training breaks down to 4 categories

1) Eating

2) Sleep

3) Training

4) mental

I think that each one of these are equally important. right now i lack all 4
Old 22 May 2011, 04:03 AM   #73
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxeman01 View Post

Not overtraining ?? When weights drop,its a first sign.If not....could just be a bad day or due to the little sleep.Sleep is important for recovery.Interesting,the week before the contest,when doing the carb depletion and replenishment,I really slept badly,although the energy levels were VERY low.
Old 22 May 2011, 04:49 AM   #74
threemonkeys
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, AK, LVc
Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Try these for a bit of unconventional leg training .....

Romanian deadlifts
Dumbell squats
Sumo Squats
Goblin squats
Straightleg deadlifts
TRX hamstring curls
Standing calf raises.One legged.Own bodyweight to failure.

All the squats mentioned above are very easy on the knees.
I think we may have found a great TRF member resource. Thanks for helping out, Chris.
threemonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2011, 05:16 AM   #75
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threemonkeys View Post
I think we may have found a great TRF member resource. Thanks for helping out, Chris.
I have a slight left knee problem from an old school rugby injury.Now and then "makes me take notice",therefore I am careful with the squat type exercises.Common mistake in gym which I see often is leg exrcises performed from the knee,not out of the hips !! DONT place a piece of wood under the heels when squating,DONT place the feet under the body when doing hacksquats.Move the feet more forward further from the body.DONT place the feet too low down on the plate when doing leg presses.All these puts too much stress on the knees.With D/B suats,sumo squats and Goblin squats,the exercise forces the body into the correct position to press from the hips. All squats,just to 90 degrees at the knee bend,more than 90 degrees and it places too much stress on the knees and lower back.Weights are ment to stimulate muscle,not stress joints and ligaments.

Best possible joint supplement is .... Universal Animal Pak Flex
Old 22 May 2011, 06:04 AM   #76
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
This has turned out to be an AWESOME thread

BTW, workout for this weekend is 24 miles of mountain bike riding (12 each day), and chest/arm weight training tomorrow. I just realized this morning my waistline has actually shrunk a bit more, but my weight has increased by 3 pounds from my lowest weight of 167lbs. I'm lovin' this new lifestyle

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2011, 07:46 AM   #77
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Quote:
He's got the hardware to back it up too.
Old 22 May 2011, 08:51 AM   #78
Mockingbird
"TRF" Member

I lift about 5 times a week. Chest, arms, shoulders, back, core, and a little bit of legs. I run about 3 miles a day to stay in shape.

I recently got my benchweight to 195 which I'm pretty proud of.
Mockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2011, 02:31 PM   #79
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockingbird View Post
I lift about 5 times a week. Chest, arms, shoulders, back, core, and a little bit of legs. I run about 3 miles a day to stay in shape.

I recently got my benchweight to 195 which I'm pretty proud of.
Most neglected bodyparts in the gym .... core and legs.The stronger the legs and core,the stronger the upper body also !! Give every part equal attention,unless working on a neglected or genetic weakpoints.
Old 22 May 2011, 02:45 PM   #80
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Any member thinking about exercising,getting in shape,but lacking the will power, motivation,enthusiasm and commitment ..... I strongly suggest buying the book "Body for Life" by Bill Philips.Amazing what people can achieve in just a few weeks.Inspiring and amazing !! Complete transformations !!

BTW,lack of time is not an excuse.Make some time !!
Old 22 May 2011, 03:58 PM   #81
threemonkeys
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Any member thinking about exercising,getting in shape,but lacking the will power, motivation,enthusiasm and commitment ..... I strongly suggest buying the book "Body for Life" by Bill Philips.Amazing what people can achieve in just a few weeks.Inspiring and amazing !! Complete transformations !!

BTW,lack of time is not an excuse.Make some time !!
Time got away from me today (Saturday) and workout plans changed...10:53pm and I just finished P90x abs and P90X Plyometrics (jump training) and threw in an extra 15 minutes of high-intensity stair-stepping and jumping jacks. 130 minutes after I started, I just got out of the shower and I'm wearing nothing but a smile as I type this. Life is gooooood.

Totally agree - lack of time ain't no excuse. Go for it people!
Old 22 May 2011, 08:05 PM   #82
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Time got away from me today (Saturday) and workout plans changed...10:53pm and I just finished P90x abs and P90X Plyometrics (jump training) and threw in an extra 15 minutes of high-intensity stair-stepping and jumping jacks. 130 minutes after I started, I just got out of the shower and I'm wearing nothing but a smile as I type this. Life is gooooood.

Totally agree - lack of time ain't no excuse. Go for it people!
"10:53 PM" .... Thats dicipline,motivation and commitment !!!
Old 22 May 2011, 10:16 PM   #83
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Good for you Craig!!! Keep it up

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2011, 11:34 PM   #84
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Back in the day when I was in medical school, I was in the best shape of my life. I went out 5 nights a week, but before I went out for dinner and a drink I would work out or jog for an hour. Every day. No exceptions. If I was late, I'd have dinner myself and catch up afterward. It's all about the discipline. I'm slowly making that mental change now. It's a challenge, but I make myself go to the gym at least 3x per week. I actually have a nice home gym set up, but if I try to catch up there, it's usually a waste of time. Though I hope to do 2 days of 30 min cardio/stretching there per week.
My next step is to wean myself off my carb addiction and hydrate more. My usual diet is about 75% carbs and many cups of dehydrating coffee at work.

I officially went down a pant size today!

十人十色
Old 22 May 2011, 11:41 PM   #85
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Back in the day when I was in medical school, I was in the best shape of my life. I went out 5 nights a week, but before I went out for dinner and a drink I would work out or jog for an hour. Every day. No exceptions. If I was late, I'd have dinner myself and catch up afterward. It's all about the discipline. I'm slowly making that mental change now. It's a challenge, but I make myself go to the gym at least 3x per week. I actually have a nice home gym set up, but if I try to catch up there, it's usually a waste of time. Though I hope to do 2 days of 30 min cardio/stretching there per week.
My next step is to wean myself off my carb addiction and hydrate more. My usual diet is about 75% carbs and many cups of dehydrating coffee at work.

Good grief! If you could keep a schedule like that in medical school, ANYONE should be able to find time for fitness. If I was lucky, I could drag my husband out for a walk or short bike ride once or twice a week, but he was holed up studying most of the time.
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2011, 02:47 AM   #86
threemonkeys
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Down a pant size? Impressive. I hope you are going to take some before and after photos to share with us. Those are always so great to see. Big congrats to you.
Old 23 May 2011, 03:58 AM   #87
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Diet ... Prot 50% Carbs 30% and Fat 20% ...and yes,one simply cannot drink enough water !

Only went to gym during holidays in med school.However,during specialization I went to gym as frequently as I could.Was HUGE then Wish I could get some of that late 20s muscle back now,but alas,building muscle in the 40s is just a tad more difficult !! Anyway,after the Novice Nationals last weekend,I have my eye now on the open provincials and hope to qualify for the Open Nationals.Hmmmmmm,need to ad more mass( I have three months) and going to give German Volume Training a go !!
Old 23 May 2011, 04:03 AM   #88
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
Good grief! If you could keep a schedule like that in medical school, ANYONE should be able to find time for fitness. If I was lucky, I could drag my husband out for a walk or short bike ride once or twice a week, but he was holed up studying most of the time.
"Holed up studying" .... Tell me about it !! I always refer to the spez years as "my lost years" 1995-1999.It was hell.
Old 23 May 2011, 04:25 AM   #89
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
Everyone learns differently. I just went to the lectures and reviewed the complex topics, or poorly presented material myself later.
My super power seems to be memorizing vast amounts of material the first time through. It left me a lot of free time. I found a few more slackers and put my crew together.
They nicknamed me "Otis", as in Otis Campbell, Andy Griffith's Mayberry's town drunk. It was because I went out every night though, not because I got wasted all the time! As with all things, self control and discipline are the key.

Maybe I'll post a before and after in a few months. I posted my quad, we'll see how it progresses.

十人十色
Old 23 May 2011, 04:29 AM   #90
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This has turned out to be an AWESOME thread

BTW, workout for this weekend is 24 miles of mountain bike riding (12 each day), and chest/arm weight training tomorrow. I just realized this morning my waistline has actually shrunk a bit more, but my weight has increased by 3 pounds from my lowest weight of 167lbs. I'm lovin' this new lifestyle
jason seriously kudos on the lifestyle change my friend. its a serious commitment and it just shows your mind set for getting to your ideal weight.