The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 11 November 2005, 12:01 AM   #1
----

First snow of the season!

Well, we have had our official fist snow of the season today. Of course, Murphy's law would have this happen on the day that I am getting $1 million US worth of production equipment on several flat bed trucks that need to be unloaded.......if I'm lucky I might thaw out by lunch time.

Anyhow, looks like it's time to consider taking the insurance off my car and parking it for the winter. This is certainly the longest I've ever had it out, and I can probably go until the end of next week as it's supposed to be 15 degrees C here Saturday after being 0 out this morning. Some wild weather for sure!
Old 11 November 2005, 12:06 AM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Yes I would not be surprised for us in darkest Wales to see a bit
of snow before the end of November.But thank God not as cold as
you Canadians.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2005, 12:06 AM   #3
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Well, we have had our official fist snow of the season today. Of course, Murphy's law would have this happen on the day that I am getting $1 million US worth of production equipment on several flat bed trucks that need to be unloaded.......if I'm lucky I might thaw out by lunch time.

Anyhow, looks like it's time to consider taking the insurance off my car and parking it for the winter. This is certainly the longest I've ever had it out, and I can probably go until the end of next week as it's supposed to be 15 degrees C here Saturday after being 0 out this morning. Some wild weather for sure!
LMAO Al, I just posted something similar a minute ago.
Old 11 November 2005, 12:08 AM   #4
BruceS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Good luck Al, but hell 0c for you guys is nothing
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2005, 12:14 AM   #5
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceS
Good luck Al, but hell 0c for you guys is nothing
Hey it was -5C when I left the house this morning, and wore an uninsulated leather jacket. No biggie.
Old 11 November 2005, 01:11 AM   #6
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
That is cool, we had a cold front blow through last night, it dropped from a high of 90 yesterday to only 75 today.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2005, 01:43 AM   #7
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
That is cool, we had a cold front blow through last night, it dropped from a high of 90 yesterday to only 75 today.
Better get out your longjohns and your parka. Make sure Dylan is bundled up today, too.
Old 11 November 2005, 02:14 AM   #8
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
looks like its time to slap on the Blizzaks. Good thing T-Dot is floating around the 10 C mark, but I guess its time.
RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2005, 02:24 AM   #9
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerF
looks like its time to slap on the Blizzaks. Good thing T-Dot is floating around the 10 C mark, but I guess its time.
Snow tires??? Never used them.
Old 11 November 2005, 02:39 AM   #10
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
Hey it was -5C when I left the house this morning, and wore an uninsulated leather jacket. No biggie.
All blood and guts, uh, tall man?

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2005, 02:55 AM   #11
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
All blood and guts, uh, tall man?
You get used to it. It's no big deal, really. I mean, I love the heat when we have 35C days, but I don't think I could take that all year long. When it's cold out, you can always put something more on to stay warm. When it's hot out, there's only so much you can take off in public to stay comfortable and not get arrested.
Old 11 November 2005, 02:58 AM   #12
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

LOL at that last bit!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 11 November 2005, 07:19 AM   #13
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Quote:
You get used to it. It's no big deal, really. I mean, I love the heat when we have 35C days, but I don't think I could take that all year long. When it's cold out, you can always put something more on to stay warm. When it's hot out, there's only so much you can take off in public to stay comfortable and not get arrested.
That's precisely why I hate Singapore's weather!
Old 11 November 2005, 01:56 PM   #14
rolexchick

We had a few snowflakes as well. I dont mind since I am one of those people who like snow.
rolexchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2005, 05:13 PM   #15
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexchick
We had a few snowflakes as well. I dont mind since I am one of those people who like snow.
I'm sure you'd look even lovelier with snow flakes sprinkled all over your face!!

Old 12 November 2005, 12:08 AM   #16
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Snow tires??? Never used them.
I assume that's because you guys know how to deal with the white stuff. You've got the right equipment to get out and clear the roads quickly.

Whereas we down here in the warmer climes are not quite as facile, although we are getting better at it, since we've had some wicked blizzards over the past few years. Used to be that if we got 3" of snow, the city would come to a grinding halt and body shops would start doing a bang-up job (pun intended). Now it takes at least a 1' snowfall to slow things down.

OTOH, two years ago, we were in London in February shortly after it snowed 2". We heard that people pulled off the M roads and slept in their cars overnight because the road conditions were so bad.

It's all what you are used to.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2005, 02:52 AM   #17
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex
I assume that's because you guys know how to deal with the white stuff. You've got the right equipment to get out and clear the roads quickly.

Whereas we down here in the warmer climes are not quite as facile, although we are getting better at it, since we've had some wicked blizzards over the past few years. Used to be that if we got 3" of snow, the city would come to a grinding halt and body shops would start doing a bang-up job (pun intended). Now it takes at least a 1' snowfall to slow things down.

OTOH, two years ago, we were in London in February shortly after it snowed 2". We heard that people pulled off the M roads and slept in their cars overnight because the road conditions were so bad.

It's all what you are used to.
Ed, don't forget that John used to live in Toronto, where the mayor has called in the military to get the roads cleared during large (or even not so large) snow storms.

In the larger cities, they seem to make a lot of effort to get the roads completely clear. Where I live, it's a different story. Maybe John will find Ottawa different than Toronto, because hey, if the government doesn't function it's just a normal day anyway right? Where I live, I am lucky to have my street cleared within a week of a snow storm - seriously! I park my 540 in the winter, and my wife an I share her 325ix, which is an all wheel drive version. We do use snow tires on it (we tend to drive a fair bit in the winter), and so far we have gone through mostly everything that winter can throw at us.

The snow tires might not be absolutely necessary, but they sure make life a lot easier.

Last edited by ----; 12 November 2005 at 02:52 AM..
Old 14 November 2005, 11:56 PM   #18
Atomic

Quote:
Ed, don't forget that John used to live in Toronto, where the mayor has called in the military to get the roads cleared during large (or even not so large) snow storms.

In the larger cities, they seem to make a lot of effort to get the roads completely clear. Where I live, it's a different story. Maybe John will find Ottawa different than Toronto, because hey, if the government doesn't function it's just a normal day anyway right? Where I live, I am lucky to have my street cleared within a week of a snow storm - seriously! I park my 540 in the winter, and my wife an I share her 325ix, which is an all wheel drive version. We do use snow tires on it (we tend to drive a fair bit in the winter), and so far we have gone through mostly everything that winter can throw at us.

The snow tires might not be absolutely necessary, but they sure make life a lot easier.
Hey, that one snowstorm was massive! I don't think TO ever had so much snow dumped in such a short amount of time. There was simply no place to put it. Besides, the army wasn't doing anything so it was like a work for pay program for the soldiers.

I used to work in the ski industry and spent my winters driving all over Ontario and Quebec, in snowstorms that would make JJ grow hair on his bald pate, and I never had snowtires on, and never got stuck. My trusty Golf GTI (at the time) was amazing in the snow.

It'll be interesting to see how it goes in Ottawa, snow clearing wise. Lots of people putting snow tires on, but I can't see it happening.
Old 19 November 2005, 02:56 AM   #19
dina
"TRF" Member

We just got some snow too today.
dina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2005, 03:03 AM   #20
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by oystergirl
We just got some snow too today.
It snowed almost all day yesterday and was almost white-out conditions at times. Thankfully the ground was too warm so most of it melted on contact.

However, yesterday afternoon the temp dropped and by 6 p.m. I had about an inch of the white stuff on my lawn. Since it went down to -10C over night and our high today will be -3C, it'll be around for a day or so.

But bright sunny skies right now... that usually come with cold temps. I actually wore a ski jacket today.
Old 19 November 2005, 03:07 AM   #21
dina
"TRF" Member

its pretty cold here too. Its like 35 F i think thats somewhere around 0-1 C. But we dont have that much of the fluffy white stuff, not yet at least.
Old 19 November 2005, 03:10 AM   #22
Atomic

Yep, 35F is about -1C (more like -.5C but I won't split hairs).

Tomorrow Ottawa is having its Santa Claus parade, so at least it'll be kinda white for my little daughter to get the full-on Santa experience.

She's so jazzed about seeing Santa. Hell, she's so jazzed about seeing snow on the ground. At her age it's just one amazing discovery after another, every day. I love it!
Old 19 November 2005, 03:32 AM   #23
----

Quote:

Tomorrow Ottawa is having its Santa Claus parade, so at least it'll be kinda white for my little daughter to get the full-on Santa experience.

She's so jazzed about seeing Santa. Hell, she's so jazzed about seeing snow on the ground. At her age it's just one amazing discovery after another, every day. I love it!
Actually John, 35F is about +1.666666666666666666666666 C......

Snowing here as well, but the good thing is we didn't get the squalls forecasted for yesterday. It was about -7C here this morning. Putting the car away this weekend.............bummer.
Old 19 November 2005, 03:33 AM   #24
Atomic

Quote:
Actually John, 35F is about +1.666666666666666666666666 C......
Hey, I'm an artsy, what do I know about conversion.
Old 19 November 2005, 03:45 AM   #25
----

Quote:
Hey, I'm an artsy,
Where I live, most people don't go around admitting that, NTTAWWT!!!!!

I personally use a conversion program, but YMMV........
Old 19 November 2005, 03:52 AM   #26
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well just had a look at my thermometer,in my shed and its down to - 8c And the washing on line is quite stiff,it might help me if I stay outside a bit more often.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2005, 03:54 AM   #27
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56
Well just had a look at my thermometer,in my shed and its down to - 8c And the washing on line is quite stiff,it might help me if I stay outside a bit more often.
I betcha more than just the washing on line is stiff!!!

Old 19 November 2005, 06:59 AM   #28
dina
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Hope the parade is fun. I know what you mean about kids getting excited about the snow on the ground, i used to be the same way. Lovvvvved snow.
Old 19 November 2005, 07:05 AM   #29
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by oystergirl
its pretty cold here too. Its like 35 F i think thats somewhere around 0-1 C. But we dont have that much of the fluffy white stuff, not yet at least.
You're cold in the middle of summer. You're always cold. I've never seen you in shorts. I've seen you in a skirt like two times. Always complaining. Too hot or too cold.
Old 19 November 2005, 07:06 AM   #30
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:

That's great Johnny. I hope C has a good time. You too.