The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 29 November 2005, 10:12 AM   #1
----

Government Defeated

Well, for us Canadians (and all you wannabe's out there) we are headed into an election over Christmas as the Government of Canada was defeated minutes ago. Tomorrow the Prime Minister will visit the Governor General (the Queen's representative in Canada) to ask that the government is dissolved and an election is held.

This is the first time the government has been defeated at the federal level since 1979.

No matter what your political stripes are, it's a bummer to have a campaign over the holidays........
Old 29 November 2005, 11:25 PM   #2
Atomic

What a farce. I mean, we had a minority government. The Prime Minister had promised to call an election within 30 days of the release of the Gomery report, scheduled out in January... so an election was going to be called anyways, and the stupid, power-hungry opposition vote non-confidence and force this holiday election.

The thing is, after the election, I will guarantee you we will have another minority government, regardless of who wins. The oppositions say the government is wasting billions of dollars, yet this election will cost the taxpayers millions more to achieve practically nothing.

If Stephen Harper wins this election, I'm moving to Cuba where my civil liberties will be protected.
Old 30 November 2005, 03:25 AM   #3
----

Parliament has been dissolved and we go to the polls on January 23rd. I just hope I get a lawn sign up before the ground is frozen.......

John, I agree, there was no reason for this vote at this time, other than the Reform/Alliance/Progressive Conservative/Conservative Party felt they had a better shot at forming a government now instead of next spring. Funny, I just watched "The Mulroney Tapes" over the last couple of nights (I had taped it) and it has fired me up for this election.........I hope others have watched it and feel the same way I do.
Old 30 November 2005, 03:40 AM   #4
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Parliament has been dissolved and we go to the polls on January 23rd. I just hope I get a lawn sign up before the ground is frozen.......

John, I agree, there was no reason for this vote at this time, other than the Reform/Alliance/Progressive Conservative/Conservative Party felt they had a better shot at forming a government now instead of next spring. Funny, I just watched "The Mulroney Tapes" over the last couple of nights (I had taped it) and it has fired me up for this election.........I hope others have watched it and feel the same way I do.
Oh yeah, I watched that with great relish. He is such a slimeball. Yuck!

I'd love to see the Libs come back with a majority, but that would be wishful thinking.

BTW, I just walked past Jean Chretien who was on his way into Hy's Steakhouse. Ain't Ottawa cool?
Old 30 November 2005, 02:46 PM   #5
G Shearing

Two layers of Schmuck...

The Christmas hype is bad enough but to layer it over with the political smarm is just TOO much for this West Coast Canadian. As if they hadn't frigged things up bad enough they had to impose themselves on our last great fantasyland. A pox on all their houses!
Here's to all of them:
G Shearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2005, 11:36 PM   #6
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Shearing
The Christmas hype is bad enough but to layer it over with the political smarm is just TOO much for this West Coast Canadian. As if they hadn't frigged things up bad enough they had to impose themselves on our last great fantasyland. A pox on all their houses!
Here's to all of them:

Let me join you in the festivities:

Old 1 December 2005, 09:06 AM   #7
G Shearing

Good one John...

I thought I was sounding like too much of a
Scrooge...

On top of the Gomery and the shaky public perception we have of politicians would you believe we recently had a corker in the BC Legislature where ALL parties voted themselves a large pay raise all in camera. Then, Carole James, the newly appointed NDP leader, elected by all the folks that Gordon Campbell had screwed, got such a backlash on it she reneged and we are all left wondering who is NOT at the trough.

Last edited by G Shearing; 1 December 2005 at 09:15 AM..
G Shearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2005, 11:07 PM   #8
Atomic

Having worked at all three levels of government, I can tell you that in my experience, most start with altruistic intentions when they get into politics, but because of the rules of engagement, that altruism wears thin fast. Regardless of political stripe, if you're in office, you've got a front row seat at the trough. A sad reality of politics.