The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 12 December 2005, 06:57 AM   #1
----

Lazy Sunday......

So, took the wife for brunch today at a place called Waldo's Bistro (http://www.waldos.on.ca/). Very nice. We started off with a cappuccino each, and then had baked Brie in phylo pastry with mango and raspberry sauce as an appetizer - very yummy!

Next was traditional eggs Benedict for me (don't have it often, but I love it!), and she had Crique Madame (a grilled ham and swiss cheese sandwich on sourdough, with an egg on top). It was unusual but tasty!

After that and a few coffees, we wandered around an indoor market that is attached to the restaurant. We bought some fresh mozzarella, some chocolates, and some other small items. I bought some nice hot sauces to add to my collection - good to keep you warm in the winter months......

On the left is Blair's After Death suace, and on the right a simple sauce from Mexico made with Red Savina Habaneros.......incredible falvour and heat!

We then stopped at the local Chapters on the way home (large book retailer in Canada) where I picked up a book on Cognac (it was tough to choose between that and the one on Whisky.... ) and the latest version of QP - the watch magazine.

It was nice afternoon, but I'm tired now!
Old 12 December 2005, 07:11 AM   #2
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Hi Al. Great post. Kelly and I went to church this morning and stopped at a local Italian deli for some things today because our parents are coming over for dinner. I picked up a loaf of Italian bread, a brick of sharp provolone and a few pounds of homemade macaroni. I brought Kelly home, took a trip to try to get her a Christmas present to no avail. The jewelry store was just too busy, but it was nice to see what my AD had on display When I came home, I cut up some sausage and cheese and cooked up some hot peppers. Kelly had already had the meatballs done and I opened the wine (hic). Just lit a fire and waiting for mom, dad ,and my MIL to come over for a nice dinner.
Old 12 December 2005, 07:21 AM   #3
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Hi Al,

How hot is the sauce on the left? Anne makes traditional Indonesean 'sambal' (I don't know the English word for it) and uses peppers called Madame Jeanette. Eating means instant death! I'm used to very spicey food but I can't take this. Just a little drop of the stuff makes you want to drink 10 gallons of water. Dang.

Last edited by Goodwatch; 12 December 2005 at 07:32 AM..
Goodwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2005, 07:24 AM   #4
baseballduck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
So Al I see you like hot sauce too. Considering you have a collection have you ever tried Dave's Temperary Insanity Sauce? I've tried it once. Two drops on a peanut butter cracker(thats all they had to put it on at school) and my mouth was burning for 20 minutes. One of my friends who is a grade higher than I am drank half a bottle of it. He could barly breathe.

Tyler
Member #84
baseballduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2005, 08:20 AM   #5
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwatch
Hi Al,

How hot is the sauce on the left? Anne makes traditional Indonesean 'sambal' (I don't know the English word for it) and uses peppers called Madame Jeanette. Eating means instant death! I'm used to very spicey food but I can't take this. Just a little drop of the stuff makes you want to drink 10 gallons of water. Dang.
Frans - I believe that the pepper you refer to is a variant of the orange Habanero pepper. The orange version is slightly less hot that the Red Savina Habanero, which is the hottest in the world.

The heat of peppers is rated in Scoville units. For example, a Jalapeno pepper is rated at approx. 5,000 Scoville units (mind you since "hot" food became popular, they seem to have bred what little heat there was in these out to please the masses who "think" they like hot food..... ). A Caynenne pepper is hotter, more like 50,000 Scoville units. The Red Savina Habanero on the other hand, is way up there at approx. 500,000 Scoville units.....eat too much of this and you go a little...

"Hi, my name is Al and I'm a chilli-head."
Old 12 December 2005, 08:31 AM   #6
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon

"Hi, my name is Al and I'm a chilli-head."
Pffff, so it's not me! I once brought a jar of the sambal for one of my colleagues who always bragged about how he could eat really, really, really spicy food. He put a generous amount of the sambal on his cold meat sandwich. I tried to warn him but he already put it in his mouth. First nothing. Then, in a flash, the sambal kicked in. He spat the sandwich out and rushed for a faucet. I only smiled. He never talked about spicy food again (I think he still hates me ).
Old 12 December 2005, 08:34 AM   #7
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballduck
So Al I see you like hot sauce too. Considering you have a collection have you ever tried Dave's Temperary Insanity Sauce? I've tried it once. Two drops on a peanut butter cracker(thats all they had to put it on at school) and my mouth was burning for 20 minutes. One of my friends who is a grade higher than I am drank half a bottle of it. He could barly breathe.

Tyler
They had Dave's Insanity Sauce there today as well - I've had it before. For me it's about the heat and the flavour. For the unititiated, it's all about heat, but once you have built some tolerance, the flavour comes through very well. I didn't find Dave's to be all that good in terms of flavour, so I prefer some other hot sauces that I have.

The checmical that makes these sauces hot is called oleoresin capsicum. You can get this as a pure extract if you like, but if you drank it, it would literally kill you (no joke). Some people take this to that kind of extreme, but that's not my thing......

The one on the left is very hot, and I use it for mixed drinks such as a Caesar.....(it is a Canadian drink).

The one on the right is one of my all time favourites - Batch #37 Hot Sauce from a company called "Pain is Good"

Old 12 December 2005, 01:51 PM   #8
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Sounds like a really great time Al and Paul. I am not a fan of the spicy food, but those are some cool names.

As for me, Andie, Dylan and I did the church/breakfast thing and then I was off to work. Well work was a lesson, lunch and 18 holes. I did take a 30 minute break to watch a little football on TV though.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2005, 03:07 PM   #9
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Wow, this post is way too hot for me to handle....

Great posts, guys...always love to hear about good food and sauces.....gets those taste buds rolling!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2005, 11:21 PM   #10
Atomic

Mmm Caesars!
Old 13 December 2005, 03:12 AM   #11
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
Mmm Caesars!
Mott's Clamato is king!
Old 13 December 2005, 03:15 AM   #12
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Mott's Clamato is king!
Yet another fine Canadian contribution to potent potables!